PDA

View Full Version : Anna's game style ?

Martian Jeza
Dec 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I've heard many times Anna has a similar game as Martina Hingis and I would like having your opinion, Chaky fans. Is she worthy to follow ? Nope, I'm not a glory hunter and never will but this is clear on my mind, only one player deserve the word fan on my heart and mind : Martina Hingis. But yet tell me more about Anna Chakvetadze ! What I know she's a very sensitive girl : which is already a great point at my eyes as I love very sensitive girls. :)

Greetings to all of you.

kolan
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM
greetings to you too. :wavey: i think annas style is quite similar to martina's in the way they both tried to work the points and make the opponent earn every point they won and her movement was awesome, well this was the chakvetadze in the middle of last year. if she can go back to this she will be successful again this year. it is also true that she is an emotional player. i believe this is a good thing as she shows to people that she cares about her matches and therefore she is very competitive. i think anna at her best does have many similarities with martina. im not a die hard chaky fan as i like lots of players but i certainly follow her game as shes very entertaining to watch when shes doing well

Martian Jeza
Dec 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Thx for your answer ;) I would like knowing much more about Anna C. : if some of their die hard fans could help me :)

LudwigDvorak
Dec 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Chakvetadze has solid strokes off both wings, although her backhand is probably a little better. It's hard to tell since she's so consistent in all of her shots. Sometimes her serve can break down, or she'll go into error mode, but she's the most consistent top 20 player aside from arguably Jankovic and Henin, but I think Henin's in a class of her own, so for now I'll say just Jankovic.

For how she plays, she's a steady defensive baseliner with very good movement who will use the angles, hit behind her opponent, and go down the line repeatedly (I cannot stress that enough, the DTL BH/FH are her favorite shots it appears) to make them run and get her in a position to win the point fairly easily. By that nature, she doesn't really go for her shots as often as she should, but because she can stay in rallies for so long she can usually just wait until her opponent hits an error.

Her net game is okay. Give her a basic punch volley to hit and it'll usually be a winner. The angles are the only touch part of her game I consider good. Her drop shots, volleys and smashes are not particularly effective but they can get the job done.

I'm an extreme non-fan but I hope this was an objective analysis of her game with its perks and weaknesses both.

Wintermute
Dec 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Anna's also been compared with Anastasia Myskina and Chris Evert (by Serena I think).

Ludwig wrote a good summary. I'll just add that, like Martina, Anna has excellent intuition for the game. Combined with her speed it means that she tends to know exactly where the ball is coming back and will be right behind it when it does. This can unnerve lesser opponents and given Anna's patient style of play it can force the impatient players to go for shots that aren't really on.

The player Anna has struggled most against recently is Sharapova who has been able to bludgeon Anna off the court without making too many costly errors.

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't compare her to Myskina. Anastasia was maybe the fastest player on the tour.
I wouldn't compare her to Hingis. Martina was a super volleyer, and was a great doubles player also.

Anna is Anna

BUBI
Dec 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Anna is original. I have never seen anyone playing like her...

Gdog
Jan 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I agree with soup, Anna is an original. The reason that I think Anna gets compared with Martina so much is that they are both super intelligent players. They are both players that may not have the big athletic bodies or the overwhelming height and thus super powerful serve that just blows people off the court. They were both players that have or had to use their intelligence to outwit and outplay their opponents. Knowing the angles on the court and using them and outsmarting their opponents when they find a weakness are things that they had to depend on when playing other players that were as gifted as they are.
To me the biggest difference in them is that Martina when at her best was very aware of her skills and had amazing confidence in them, to the point that many people found her cocky and arrogant (I never did to much, just a very self-assured person). Anna is about the opposite of this. Anna has so many wonderful skills and I don't think she always fully realizes this or has that 100% confidence in herself that would help give her that mental edge over her opponents.
The one thing I know they both have in common is that they are both amazing ladies.

Martian Jeza
Jan 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Thx a lot for the people who answered to my question and also the good rep of soup and Georgian fan, If I good remember ! ;)

I'm yours now at the Anna C's Mansion :wavey: