PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast 2008

Vaidisova
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Nicole begins her 2008 season playing Gold Coast Tier III as the #1 seed.

Sexysova
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts

Gold Coast, Australia
December 30, 2007 - January 5, 2008
Tier III
Prize Money: $175,000
Draw: 32M/32Q/16D
Surface: Hardcourt/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Liz Smylie

Official Web Site:
www.australianwomenshardcourts.com.au

2007 Singles Final
(2) Dinara Safina (RUS) d. (1) Martina Hingis (SUI) 63 36 75

2007 Doubles Final
(2) Safina/Srebotnik (RUS/SLO) d. Benesova/Voskoboeva (CZE/RUS) 63 64

Nicole defends no points and it would be great to win this tournament title to earn more points than she defends from Sydney.. don't forget Nicole will have it so tough and hard to defend Australian Open semifinal even with good draw...

GOOD LUCK NICOLE! JEDEM! :bounce::bounce::bounce::kiss:

Vaidisova
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
The field is pretty good with Petrova, Safina, Schnyder, Mauresmo, Szavay, etc... Should be some tough matches to see where Nicole's level of play is at the start of the year.

She hasn't done too well when being the #1 seed though.:tape:

Sexysova
Dec 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM
She hasn't done too well when being the #1 seed though.:tape:

I know :tape::help: hope she'll win her first match as No.1 seeded in Gold Coast :)

Michael_21
Dec 26th, 2007, 10:04 AM
i hope she wins her first tournament ast the No 1 seed and in the first tournament of the year what a way to start the year that would be :D GO NICOLE!!!

Derek.
Dec 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Good luck, Nicole! :D

Please no repeat of Charleston. :o

Nedved Rosicky
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM
http://foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22975004-23216,00.html

Young Czech is all steel

By Paul Malone
December 27, 2007

DON'T mistake Czech Nicole Vaidisova's youthful blonde visage for indicating a lack of steel.

Amelie Mauresmo doesn't after suffering three consecutive three-set losses to her.

Vaidisova, top seed for the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts that start at Royal Pines on Sunday, can point to three wins over Mauresmo in the past two years.

Roland Garros last year and Wimbledon last July, when Mauresmo was seeking to defend her title, were prominent venues at which to build Vaidisova's reputation as a future Grand Slam champion.

The 18-year-old right-hander recorded wins this year over three top-10 players - Mauresmo, Serbian Jelena Jankovic and Russian Elena Dementieva, to reach a career-high world ranking of No. 7 in May.

Vaidisova's stepfather and coach Ales Kodat resigned as captain of the Czech Fed Cup team on Monday, citing "personal reasons".

The teen success of Vaidisova and Hungarian Agnes Szavay is seen by Gold Coast tournament director Liz Smylie as a vital lesson for Australian contemporaries that they must not gauge their progress by that of junior tennis rivals.

Vaidisova reached the semi-finals of the Australian Open last January, losing to Serena Williams after being unable to convert a set point, and she made the quarter-finals of the French Open and Wimbledon.

"Nicole is part of the new breed of female tennis player who play juniors for, like, a second and then start playing on the tour," Smylie said.

"Instead of spending a year or two stuttering their way past 200, learning the game, they are at No. 20 all of a sudden. They have a presence about them. They are worldly and speak a couple of languages. Ana Ivanovic (world No. 4) is another one.

"They want to be No. 1 tomorrow, win Grand Slam titles tomorrow, rather than compare themselves to other juniors. It's a good thing to point out to our younger girls that playing juniors isn't a career - it's a very brief stepping stone."

serenaforever
Dec 27th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Good luck, Nicole!!
I have faith in you!! :banana::bounce:

Nadie
Dec 27th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Good luck Nicole :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Sexysova
Dec 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Main Draw Ceremony
Friday, Dec. 28, 5:00pm
on-site

come on!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sexysova
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM
according to www.wtatour.com we know this :)

Vaidisova[1] vs. Dellacqua
-
-
-
-
-
-
Q vs. Schnyder[4]

Safina[3] vs. Gajdosova
-
-
-
-
-
-
Garbin vs. Petrova[2]

Nicole should win her first match as No.1 :help:

Sexysova
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Nicole Vaidisova[1] vs. Casey Dellacqua[WC]
Aiko Nakamura vs. Tatjana Malek
Monique Adamczak[WC] vs. Elena Vesnina
Na Li vs. Sybille Bammer[7]
Patty Schnyder[4] vs. Qualifier
Meghann Shaughnessy vs. Francesca Schiavone
Zi Yan vs. Nathalie Dechy
Qualifier vs. Amelie Mauresmo[6]

Shahar Peer[5] vs. Julie Ditty
Lourdes Dominguez Lino vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Flavia Pennetta
Jarmila Gajdosova[WC] vs. Dinara Safina[3]
Agnes Szavay[8] vs. Julia Vakulenko
Victoria Azarenka vs. Ai Sugiyama
Virginie Razzano vs. Dominika Cibulkova
Tathiana Garbin vs. Nadia Petrova[2]

Sharapower8
Dec 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Good luck Nic' !! Hope she'll be healthy enough :worship:

Vaidisova
Dec 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Not that bad of a draw. Let's hope she will start off the season strong.

Derek.
Dec 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Good draw, I think.

Good luck Nicole! :D

RsaibotD
Dec 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
It's a good draw:).... Good luck Nikki!!:angel:

rechi
Dec 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Good luck Nicole....

Rod the Bama
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:06 PM
The draw isn`t bad looking. Hopefully Nikki will do much better than she has in her previous tournaments when she was the #1 seed.

Corswandt
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Nicole's draw is about as good as one could expect considering how many mines there were in the unseeded player list (nearly all of them seem to have ended up in the bottom 1/4 BTW).

But I don't think she's aiming for much more than to play a couple of matches before Sydney. I mean, the tournament may be stacked, but it's still a shitty ass TIII. No point in wasting too much effort here. So I expect ret./tanking on the 3R, or even earlier.

Michael_21
Dec 29th, 2007, 02:32 AM
nicoles half of the draw is the easier half so good luck against dellacqua nicole :D

Vaidisova
Dec 29th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Dellacqua hoping to ambush Czech star
29th December 2007, 13:15 WST

West Australian Casey Dellacqua believes six weeks of tough training have set the platform for an upset victory over world No 12 Nicole Vaidisova at this week's Australian Women's Hardcourt tournament on the Gold Coast.

Dellacqua, 21, has been training hard and building her fitness since taking a two-week break in mid-October following a stellar 2007 season.

During the season her world ranking soared from 178 to 84, making her Australia's No 4 women's player behind Sam Stosur, Alicia Molik and Nicole Pratt.

Czech star Vaidisova, an Australian Open semi-finalist in January, posted wins this year against three top-10 players - France's Amelie Mauresmo, Serbian Jelena Jankovic and Russian Elena Dementieva.

Although admitting a win over Vaidisova would be “huge“, wildcard Dellacqua said she intended going into the match with the self-belief that she could spring an upset.

“Every time I go out on the court I have a chance and I think now is probably the best time to play her,” Dellacqua said.

“She's arriving on the Gold Coast today (from South Korea) and I've had a really good pre-season. I've trained for the last six weeks pretty full-on and I'm feeling really good.

“I'm always going out with a positive attitude in the hope that I can win.

“The last couple of months I've actually played some top-10 players in (Maria) Sharapova at the US Open and Jelena Jankovic in Asia a couple of months ago.

“I've had a bit of experience against some top-10 players. I'm going to go into the match (against Vaidisova) with the same attitude and not be too nervous.

“I've come close a couple of times but I've never really had that big win under my belt.”

Fed Cup player Dellacqua achieved her 2007 goals of cracking into the top 100 and making her grand slam debut but her hunger for success is not even close to being satisfied.

“I want to win more games in the grand slams and beat higher ranked players on a consistent basis,” she said.

“Realistically if I finish the year ranked around 50 I'll be pretty happy.”

While no top-10 players have entered the Gold Coast tournament, the depth of talent is indicated by two-time grand slam winner Mauresmo's low seeding of sixth.

The former Wimbledon and Australian Open champion will take on a qualifier in the first round.

Australian wildcard, Slovakian import Jarmila Gajdosova, faces a tough first round meeting against defending champion Dinara Safina of Russia.

Hungarian rising star Agnes Szavay, who celebrates her 19th birthday today, will take on world No 32 Julia Vakulenko of Ukraine.

Szavay, seeded eighth on the Gold Coast, started the 2007 season ranked 189 and finished the year inside the world's top 20.

The tournament starts tomorrow with the final on Saturday January 5.

http://www.thewest.com.au/printfriendly.aspx?ContentID=52570

Vaidisova
Dec 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Nicole is playing doubles with Patty.

They play #1 seeds Black/Huber in 1st round.

Lunaris
Dec 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
The draw looks easy on paper, but it's Nicole's first tournament in a couple of months. I expect rust and don't actually believe she will do something great there, aka winning the title. It's a blasted Tier III so it wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Sexysova
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Nicole is playing doubles with Patty.

They play #1 seeds Black/Huber in 1st round.

that's cool :hearts: I think Nicole should play doubles sometimes to improve her net game and maybe some tactic :)

I hope they'll put great fight :)

Corswandt
Dec 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Dellacqua [...] a stellar 2007 season

Only 4 out of her 52 wins were against players ranked above her, and out of her 23 losses, half were against players ranked below (often well below) her. These stats can only have one meaning: overranked. And if winning shitty ass 25Ks in which she was just about the only top 200 player in the draw is "a stellar season"...

“The last couple of months I've actually played some top-10 players in (Maria) Sharapova at the US Open and Jelena Jankovic in Asia a couple of months ago.

“I've had a bit of experience against some top-10 players. I'm going to go into the match (against Vaidisova) with the same attitude and not be too nervous.

“I've come close a couple of times but I've never really had that big win under my belt.”

This from someone who lost 1 and 0 against Sharapova.

Sexysova
Dec 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Only 4 out of her 52 wins were against players ranked above her, and out of her 23 losses, half were against players ranked below (often well below) her. These stats can only have one meaning: overranked. And if winning shitty ass 25Ks in which she was just about the only top 200 player in the draw is "a stellar season"...

This from someone who lost 1 and 0 against Sharapova.

thanks for your info a lot..

and what result do you expect? :)

Michael_21
Dec 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
i expect it to go to 3 sets dellacqua can be half decent and nicole will probably be abit rusty

Corswandt
Dec 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM
thanks for your info a lot..

and what result do you expect? :)

Ever since that loss to Krajicek at Charleston that I think of Nicole as a player who can lose to anyone.

So, the fact that Dellacqua is overranked by several dozens of slots (and delusional to boot) doesn't mean Nicole can't find a way to lose this. But it all depends on how she'll play, and in what kind of effort her team believes is necessary/worthwhile to make in this.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I hope Nicole keeps her head on straight. She has a pretty good shot at this title.
Good luck, Nikki :hug:

Vaidisova
Dec 30th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Vaidisova just wants to stay healthy
30th December 2007, 14:23 WST

New Year's resolutions don't appeal to Czech tennis star Nicole Vaidisova but the talented teenager has made it abundantly clear that good health is her main priority heading into the 2008 season.

The 18-year-old finished 2007 ranked a remarkable world No.12 despite missing most of the European claycourt season and the northern summer hardcourt season due to a viral illness and wrist and hamstring injuries.

But Vaidisova says she feels fit and healthy heading into her first round match on Monday against Australian wildcard Casey Dellacqua at the Australian Women's Hardcourts event on the Gold Coast.

"I don't really make New Year's resolutions but health is going to be my biggest priority," Vaidisova said at a press conference.

"My biggest goal is to be able to play the whole season without any injuries.

"I had a good run at the grand slams this year and hopefully I can do better."

Vaidisova started the 2007 season strongly by reaching the semi-finals at Sydney and the Australian Open, where she lost to eventual champion Serena Williams.

The 183cm glamour girl advanced to the quarter-finals or better at 10 of her 14 events this year to demonstrate she has the class and weaponry to become a future grand slam champion.

"I think tennis-wise it was a good season, I just didn't get to play that much and if I did I was sick or something," said Vaidisova, who arrived on a wet and windy Gold Coast on Saturday.

"I had a good run here in Australia and then April everything started happening.

"First the wrist, then I got sick, then the hamstring. Once I got out there I played well but I didn't get too many chances.

"I've had some bad luck but hopefully that's all behind me."

The top seed on the Gold Coast, Vaidisova should clash with world No.18 Amelie Mauresmo in the semi-finals barring a major upset.

Vaidisova has defeated France's Mauresmo three times - in the fourth round at Wimbledon this year and twice in 2006.

In 2007 she also claimed the prized scalps of Serb Jelena Jankovic and Russian Elena Dementieva.

While Vaidisova was overcoming jetlag, first round action began at Royal Pines Resort with Frenchwoman Nathalie Dechy beating China's Zi Yan 6-2 6-2.

Belarusian Victoria Azarenka posted a comfortable 6-2 6-3 victory over two-time Gold Coast winner Ai Sugiyama of Japan.

Hungarian rising star Agnes Szavay, who celebrated her 19th birthday on Saturday, was scheduled to meet world No.32 Julia Vakulenko on Monday but the Ukrainian has withdrawn from the $A200,000 event with a hand injury.
AAP

http://www.thewest.com.au/printfriendly.aspx?StoryName=448054

Vaidisova
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Audio from press conference today

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/default.aspx?id=4&pageId=11502

Vaidisova
Dec 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Nicole Vaidisova looks forward to Open

Nicole Vaidisova says she is curious to see how the Australian Open's new Plexicushion surface plays, even if a thwarted 2007 season taught her not to plan too far ahead.

Vaidisova, 18, was a semi-finalist at Sydney and Melbourne Park last January.

"I haven't played on it and I'm so curious about it. I'll see when I get there," Vaidisova said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22988947-3162,00.html

Sexysova
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:44 PM
thx.. hope it will suit her game well and she will feel well play on it :)

Sexysova
Dec 31st, 2007, 12:39 PM
OOP - 1 Jan 08

Start at 10AM (Gold Coast time)

1. N.Li vs. Bammer
2. Bacsinszky vs. Pennetta
3. Vaidisova vs. Dellacqua
4. Fedak vs. Azarenka
5. Adamczak vs. Vesnina (NB 18.30hrs)
6. Black/Huber vs. Schnyder/Vaidisova

Vaidisova
Dec 31st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Good luck:yeah:

Tennace
Dec 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Doubles with Schnyder could be interesting.

I saw Nicole play doubles with Drake at Philadekphia 05 against Black/Stubbs, and Nicole was giving them all sorts of problems with her power. They may have a chance to win, but I dont really know how good of a doubles player Patty is. If they both play well they could actually win this.

Corswandt
Dec 31st, 2007, 06:12 PM
I dont really know how good of a doubles player Patty is.

She could be one of the very best. Saw her play a set at HK last year and some of the stuff she pulled off was just outrageous.

Derek.
Dec 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
Let's start the season out on a high note.

Good luck Nicole! :)

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Nicole on the SB so her 1st match of 2008 starting soon... :cool:

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM
Nicole on the SB so her 1st match of 2008 starting soon... :cool:

I am so nervous :D

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:15 AM
All games so far have been long and tough... Nicole down an early break. :unsure:

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:19 AM
Nicole has had 6 bp chances but converted 0...

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:22 AM
2nd serve ace saves BP... Nicole holds but still down a break

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:38 AM
Nicole saved 2 setpoints on her serve, now has broken back finally.. 5-5... come on!

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
Only to get broken right back and ends up losing 1st set 5-7 :help:

Had 2 bps and a 2nd serve to get break back.. :o

Better turn things around quick or another loss as #1 seed coming...

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 05:56 AM
Phew Nicole wins 57 75 60...

What a match to start off the year. :o

Glad she was able to win...

RsaibotD
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:06 AM
a Victory is the best way to start this new year :angel:, it doesn't matter how it was

Happy new year to everyone!;)

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Nicole is maybe back since third set :) :bounce:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM
:bounce: Glad Nicole was able to pull off the win. She always struggles when she's the top seed. Hopefully she improves in the next round.

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Nicole will play Tatjana Malek in next round

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
good luck again! :) :bounce:

Michael_21
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
Great win Nicole i was abit worried midway throught the second but good 2 see she pulled it off 6-0 in the 3rd and Finally nicole wins a match as the Number 1 seed YEAH!!! :worship: and good luck against malek in the next round and in the doubles which is starting now :D

Sharapower8
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Great job Nikki ! :drool:
Hope next round will be easier ! Good luck :hug:

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Vaidisova beats nervous Dellacqua

Australia's Casey Dellacqua admitted to feeling the pressure in her three sets loss to world No.12 Nicole Vaidisova in the first round of the Australian Women's Hardcourts event on the Gold Coast.

An upset looked on the cards when Dellacqua - ranked 74 places below her Czech opponent - took the first set 7-5 and had three break points at 4-4 in the second set.

But the left-handed West Australian couldn't convert any of those break points and Vaidisova went on to claim the set 7-5.

The 18-year-old glamour girl then smashed Dellacqua 6-0 in the deciding set.

"When it got tight I probably did get a little bit nervous," Australia's No.4 women's player admitted.

"I actually felt a little bit nervous before the match."

Dellacqua has been training hard for the past six weeks but she hasn't played a match since mid-October following a gruelling 2007 schedule in which she played 30 tournaments, mainly overseas.

The 22-year-old converted just three out of 15 break points against Vaidisova, who served 17 aces in a match that ran just under two hours at Royal Pines Resort.

Dellacqua was particularly hard on herself for missing a break point at 4-4 in the second set on Vaidisova's second serve.

"I didn't feel like I backed myself," the wildcard said.

"I wish I had stepped up and gone for it a little more than I did but I dumped a ball in the net.

"I'm going to keep going back to that same point in the second set and take that as a learning experience but all in all, it's a positive match for the beginning of my Australian summer."

The tall Vaidisova exploited Dellacqua's lack of speed with some clever drop shots and used her boom serve to bail herself out of trouble.

"I think she's definitely got one of the biggest serves in the women's game because she's just so tall and it comes from a different height," said Dellacqua, who will next compete in the Hobart International starting Sunday.

"I found it just really hard to pick where she was going to serve."

A relieved Vaidisova - plagued by injuries and illness in 2007 - was happy to escape with a win in her first match of the new year.

"It's always tricky, the first round of a tournament, plus it's the first match of the season," the teenager said.

"You get on the court and it's like `what am I supposed to do now?'

"It's a relief to go through, plus she played some good tennis. It was tough."

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=3708

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Dellacqua was targeted by Vaidisova with her use of the drop shot, believing the Australian left-hander's movement suspect.

"Probably 80 per cent of the drop shots she didn't get back," Vaidisova said. "She definitely played good tennis. I felt I continuously picked up my game in the third set. It's always tough the first match of the year."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22995817-10389,00.html

Vaidisova
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Centre Court (from 10.00hrs)
1. Peer vs. Schruff
2. Pennetta vs. Safina
3. Schnyder vs. Schiavone
4. Dechy vs. Mauresmo
5. Adamczak vs. Li
6. Vaidisova vs. Malek (NB 18.30hrs)
7. Cibulkova vs. Garbin

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
it's great that Kodat worked with Nicole on tactics as it was their one of the main things to improve in her game! it's nice to see some gameplan which functions! I'm really happy! and it was first match of new season which is always really pretty hard and tricky.. look at Petrova or Szavay how they did.. it isn't easy.. I'm really glad Nicole started off the new season with win.. it's very important for her confidence and I think she played really good tennis in the third set against Dellacqua..

let's see tomorrow match.. I think it will tell us more than today.. :bounce:

Derek.
Jan 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nicole! :D :banana:
Nice job. :yeah:

Good luck in the next round! :)

Vaidisova
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Nicole into the QF after 64 62 win

Won in 2 sets but still was a struggle... DF on breakpoint, getting broken when serving for match at 5-1, etc...

Neptune
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Na Li in Qf, it will be a though match.We'll have more information about Nicole's form.

Sexysova
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
good job Nicole :yeah:

much better than yesterday..

good luck against Na Li :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Veeko
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
wowo,nicole did so well!Na li.....come on nicole

Sharapower8
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Great win... Best of luck against Na Li :kiss:

Sexysova
Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Centre Court - Start at 10.30hrs (Gold Coast time)

1. Peer vs. Safina
2. Azarenka vs. Cibulkova (Not Before 12.00hrs)
3. Vaidisova vs. Li
4. Azarenka/Peer vs. Yan/Zheng
5. Schnyder vs. Mauresmo (Not Before 18.30hrs)
6. Black/Huber vs. Pennetta/Schiavone

I'm so happy I will see the match on live sb :)

serenaforever
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
So far, so good. :D

Let's keep it up, Nicole. :bounce:

Vaidisova
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Vaidisova was always in control in a much-improved performance from her three-set win over Aussie Casey Dellacqua in the first round.

Vaidisova said she felt a lot more relaxed.

"I feel more comfortable on the court so I am happy with it," she said.

"My shots were better ... yesterday it took a set and a half to really figure out what to do. I didn't make as many unforced errors today."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/01/03/6480_gold-coast-sport.html

Sexysova
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Vaidisova was always in control in a much-improved performance from her three-set win over Aussie Casey Dellacqua in the first round.

Vaidisova said she felt a lot more relaxed.

"I feel more comfortable on the court so I am happy with it," she said.

"My shots were better ... yesterday it took a set and a half to really figure out what to do. I didn't make as many unforced errors today."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/01/03/6480_gold-coast-sport.html

nice to read this.. hope Nicole will improve match-by-match :) :bounce:

Derek.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Great job, Nicole! :D

Now Li, who she hasn't played since she lost to her at Wimbledon 2006.

Get some revenge, Nicole. ;)

Good luck! :)

Rod the Bama
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Good win for Nikki. :clap2: I`m very pleased with the improvement she showed from the previous match.

Derek.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Nicole got down an early break, broke back, only to get broken again, broke back again, but once again was broken.

3-6. :o

Only won 1/14 2nd serve points. :help:

Vaidisova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:37 AM
This match is over. Nicole can't hold serve.

Vaidisova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Nicole lost 3-6 3-6

Derek.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
:spit:
I'm not sure what to call that besides embarrassing. :o

Get it together for Sydney, please.

Vaidisova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Good luck defending SF points in Sydney and Australian Open :lol:

Sexysova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
her serve really struggled today.. I think it was just off day or really some problems.. hope for no injury :sad: I don't think so Na Li could just crushed Nicole.. :rolleyes:

Sexysova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
it's just first tournament.. I know it's just exhibition but remember Nicole lost to Yan Zi and Dementieva in WWC and then was great in Sydney and AO.. I think she could find her form for next tours.. we'll see..

Vaidisova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
There's a pic of her getting her ankle/foot taped so there was a problem

Michael_21
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
well done in the second match nicole but unlucky 2day i think na li is playing pretty well at the moment on her come bak and nicoles second serve was just terible 2day but i agree with corpuscle that it is only the first tournament of the year and u look at nicoles result in the exabition last year and how well she did for the rest of the aussie season and the main thing is she got a couple of matches and didnt lose in the first round plus the 2 wins she had were her first 2 wins as the number 1 seed so well done nicole and good luck next week in sydney :)

Lunaris
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Still better than lose to Erakovic. :lol:

Veeko
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
well,it's sad to get this news,and what's more,nicole get injured:sad:really upset now,you know,the beginning of the new season....hope it's nothing serious:angel:

Sexysova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I don't get all people here who posted after today's match.. because it's clear Nicole didn't play badly.. she just couldn't move and I think it suffered her serve a lot.. it had to be painful when she served..

Vaidisova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Nicole Vaidisova has had her plans for the Australian Open disrupted after injuring her left ankle against China's Na Li on the Gold Coast yesterday.

Li was up 5-3 in their Australian Women's Hardcourts quarter-final when the 18-year-old top seed and world No. 12 landed awkwardly and felt a sharp stabbing pain.

Li, ranked No. 28, went on to win the match 6-3 6-3.

Vaidisova said while she believed the injury was only minor, at this stage it was still too early to tell.

"I think it's more distracting than anything else," she said.

"I hope it's one of those things that will be better in two, three days."

Vaidisova said the injury had definitely affected her game, causing her to think more about her ankle than her play.

"Before I knew it, it was 4-0 down in the second set," she said.

"(The pain) just distracts you, but on the other hand it was a match we both played, she did a great game.

"She was up before that happened so it's not my excuse, you have to give credit for the way she came out today and did everything."

Vaidisova said provided her ankle recovered, she still planned to play at Sydney next week before contesting the Australian Open in Melbourne.

Last year she managed to reach the semi-finals in the grand slam - a result she hopes to at least repeat.

Vaidisova, who was originally planning on using the Gold Coast tournament as a great way to adjust to the hot Melbourne weather, admitted that plan too had gone awry with wind and rain buffeting the city.

"Sydney will be burning hot and then Melbourne, you never know, and I'm fine with heat," she said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23004378-11088,00.html

Sexysova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
thx for article.. I told it affected her game.. I hope she'll be ok for sydney! :bounce:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
That top seed spot for Nicole is very unlucky for her. :sad:

Hopefully her ankle recovers for Sydney and Melbourne, she has a lot of points to defend.

Rod the Bama
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I`m very sad to hear about this ankle injury that Nikki suffered in the match. :sad: Hopefully it isn`t too serious. She has such bad karma as a top seed.