PDA

View Full Version : Who is going?

In The Zone
Dec 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I am! :) Last year for Forest Hills. :(

2nd Annual In The Forest Hills Zone Thread to come.

hellas719
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I'll probably go.

ImaVeggie
Jul 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'll be going on Wednesday. I'll then shoot over to the US Open Qualifying & Practice.

savestheday91
Jul 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I might be tempted to go for a day :)

eezenwa
Aug 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
this is the only tournament that i get a chance to go to. And I am going this year again like i have in the last two years. I hope to meet see some great tennis again for free.

Tennis Fool
Aug 25th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Eezenwa, you don't get to go the the 50K in Crotona? This year, the finals were held last weekend for $10 entrance.

Anyway peeps, I somehow made it to see the last 4 games of the final. I'm not a morning person, so I got up late, plus using transit on the weekends is just a bitch :eek:

The West Side Tennis Club is located in the private community of Forest Hills Gardens. When you step off the train, and go through the underpass, it feels as if you've been transported to some beautiful suburban hamlet. The neighborhood consists of all Tudors and Federals, tree-lined streets and manicured lawns. I had no idea such a place existed in NYC :eek: When I make my millions, I want to move there.

Anyway, right around the corner from the underpass is the West Side club. You go in there and you've been transported again--this time to 1930s Harvard. Most of the courts were being used by aged club members in their tidy whities. I'd say most had to be over 65.

At first, I thought, where is the tournament? I heard claps before I entered the grounds, but then saw nothing. I continued along the path, however, until I got the the main stadium. Aha, I thought. This is where the US Open used to be held!

I almost couldn't believe it, because the Club seemed too small to hold such a Slam. I doubt even a quarter of the Flushing Meadows attendees could fit in there.

Anyway, barely any attendance for the final. Already, Lucie was up 64 40. I was happy, however, to witness Lucie getting back on track after a terrible year. She does not hit the ball too hard, but very cleanly. She has both a very good serve and return game. She reminded me of Bovina, who I saw last week.

Peng, on the other hand. Wow. This girl could not hit the ball in the court. Everything was going long or she was just double-faulting all over the place. I was not impressed at all.

I'm actually glad I didn't stay for the whole thing, because the sun was beating down on me. There also wasn't much of a chance to talk with the players, so I left.

I didn't decide to get tix to the Open until tonight, only to find they were sold out :o Good news is that I got into touch with a broker on Craigslist, so hopefully I'll be there for the weekend :)