PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi cheering thread

kittyking
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM
This thread was designed with the pure and simple task of making you turn into crazy kiwi fans.....

.....you've been warned

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/n/nz!sfern.gif

New Zealanders playing here

Singles

Marina Erakovic
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3074/marina22zy4.jpg
Qualifying Draw

Sacha Jones
http://i3.tinypic.com/87irvps.jpg
Qualifying Draw Wildcard :hearts:

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Sacha has been a qualifying draw wildcard, that makes two kiwis into the Aussie Open qualies for the first time in MANY years!

Mana
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Good luck girls :worship: I cant wait!!!

waratahsrock
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Marina has a very good chance of making the main draw and winning a match or 2 with a favourable draw.
I expect Sacha will get well and truly spanked however :(

Erakovic
Jan 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
GL to both...hopefully Marina carries on from the form she showed in Auckland last week...and Sacha learnt a bit too!

kittyking
Jan 10th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Looking at the stats Sacha played truly horribly in the first set (21 unforced errors in only 7 games...wtf is that about!). But then it was a much tighter second set, Sacha has a number of breakpoint chances at 4-4 but was unable to convert and then got broken in her next game. Result: Sacha looses 6-1 6-4

OZTENNIS
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Sacha :sad:
Marina wasn't good enough for Jelena today...too bad they had to play each other in R1

Deck
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
really bad luck for Marina, pity

Xiu ZhiFu
Jan 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Good luck girls

OZTENNIS
Jan 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Good luck to Sacha in the Juniors now...needs to bring down her unforced errors though

kittyking
Jan 11th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Lets hope for a Sacha vrs Jess final (love the kiwi vrs aussie battles!)

OZTENNIS
Jan 11th, 2008, 02:36 AM
:lol: yeah I agree...both should be seeded for the juniors as well

kittyking
Jan 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm not even sure if Sacha will still be a seed, she hasn't played much juniors in recent times...

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Sacha has far more ability that Marina! I saw most of her match vs Meng, and it was very very hot 40+ degrees. Meng just played a very smart match, and used her experience to get through. If the conditions had been cooler, it would have been closer. I can see Sacha having a much better career than Marina, she has a much bigger game and is very impressive for her age.

kittyking
Jan 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I disagree with that, and you have to remember that a large part of what turns top 300 players into top 100 players is the mental side of the game. There are very few players ranked in the top 100 who are mentally weak. Currently Sacha does need to work on her mental game....Marina's developed the goods (mind you she has a few years on Sacha)

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Marina has no weapons, mental toughness isn't enough these days! I think it would take very smart scheduling for Marina to ever crack the top 50. Top 30 is out of the question!! Sacha on the other hand has weapons, she's just needs to work on the consistency and she will do much better

kittyking
Jan 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Marina has no weapons, mental toughness isn't enough these days! I think it would take very smart scheduling for Marina to ever crack the top 50. Top 30 is out of the question!! Sacha on the other hand has weapons, she's just needs to work on the consistency and she will do much better

Marina has plenty of weapons - last week she served a number of aces, also she came up with plenty of forehand and backhand winners. On top of this she is stunning at the net. She probably wasn't playing 100% against Jelena Dokic, thats understandable but that doesn't mean she doesn't have any weapons. She has more weapons than a number of top 30 players, also less weakness's. Top 30 is not out of the question, but she should just aim for top 50 now.

Sacha probably needs to work on aiming for lines, going back to her junior days that was always her biggest weakness (she kept hitting the ball so dam short!). I agree with you in the way that she does have weapons, they are great when they land in - although I still think that she needs to work on her netplay as more and more players are mastering dropshots nowadays. Are you going to be in AO next week? Apparantly shes down for playing juniors :)