PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup 2008

WIMBY
Dec 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Budapest, Hungary 31 Jan - 2 Feb indoors?

Who will be in the team?

Anne
Katie
Melanie
Naomi
Bally
or
Georgie

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Being indoors on hardcourt is amazing for GB and gives us a fighting chance imo

As I said on gbtennisgirls, for me it depends on the speed of the indoor court, if its lightening quick like some european indoor events, I think Mel and especially Sarah are in with a great chance. But its hard to look past Anne, Katie, Bally and Naomi

WIMBY
Dec 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Europe/Africa Zone Group I,

Budapest, Hungary: carpet (indoors) w/c 28 January

Mforensic
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Anne, Katie, Bally......if injured or ill.....throw Naomi and Mel into the mix!

Europe rocks
Dec 5th, 2007, 08:58 PM
After seeing how Anne did well in Kolkata on a similar surface, she should be top of the list
If Bally can get her serve going, she will be tough indoors
Then it comes to the tough part: Katie, Naomi, Mel, Sarah or Georgie
Sarah has always done well on quick surfaces, but seeing as she has been struggling with injuries lately I don't think she should be first choice, but definitely a hitting partner for the girls. Naomi has also been a little disappointing after her promising start, but she is more consistent than Mel, who has a good opportunity to climb the ranks after her poor start to the year. Katie also seems to do well on fast surfaces, but will she want to focus more on getting her ranking up...

WIMBY
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Team is

Anne
Bally
Naomi
Mel

Good luck :):)

Europe rocks
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Shocked to see Katie not in the team :eek: Maybe Nigel wants her to focus on playing WTA events :shrug:

smithy1976
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
im surprised there is no katie and georgie, maybe they are hoing to get rankings up..

Mel and Bally for doubles they could really out power some teams

Mforensic
Dec 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I was surprised Katie wasn't on there either, but then again I don't know what her indoor record is. Maybe that came into play???? I know Bally does well on the indoor courts as does Anne. Bally and mel would be interesting for doubles as both are heavy hitters and when Bally's serve is on....it's ON!

WIMBY
Jan 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Katie (replaced injured Naomi), Anne, Bally and Mel are the team. Draw is out Tuesday.

Bally and Mel would be a strong pair for doubles.

Good luck Team GB :)

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Katie (replaced injured Naomi), Anne, Bally and Mel are the team. Draw is out Tuesday.

Bally and Mel would be a strong pair for doubles.

Good luck Team GB :)

but Mel is training alot with Anne :p

Mforensic
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Well trhe draw out Tuesday and play starts Wednesday......Good Luck girls!!!!

WIMBY
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Mel has said in her interview that she is going to play some doubles tournaments with Anne as they have been training together recently with coach Simon Walsh but Fed Cup is up to Nigel Sears will he put Mel/Anne or Mel/Bally? :)

jamatthews
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Fed Cup is up to Nigel Sears will he put Mel/Anne or Mel/Bally? :)

Before squad was selected I thought Mel/Bally was the obvious choice, but actually Mel/Anne might be the smarter choice because of Anne's movement.

WIMBY
Jan 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Great that we have a choice in our GB team. Draw out later today :bounce:

Mforensic
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
GB Fed Cup team travel to Budapest

Great Britain's Fed Cup team will be competing in Europe / Africa Zone Group One in Budapest, Hungary, this week having been drawn against Switzerland, Hungary and Denmark in the opening round-robin pool.
Fed Cup 2008 gets under way this week with the GB team lining up in Europe / Africa Zone Group One in Budapest, Hungary, alongside 14 other teams.

The 15 competing nations have been divided up into four round-robin pools. The winners and losers of every pool will play-off against each other to determine which two teams are promoted and relegated for 2009.

Great Britain has been placed in a pool with Switzerland, Hungary and Denmark, and will face Switzerland in their first tie on Wednesday. Playing in the number one position for the Swiss team will be the world number 14 and former Australian Open semi-finalist, Patty Schnyder.

Every tie consists of two singles rubbers and one doubles rubber. Each day, team captains select a singles and doubles line-up from their squad of four players. To win a tie, a team must win at least two of the three rubbers played.

Its a tough group, all three teams we will face are able to select world class players but we are looking forward to the challenge.

Nigel Sears

Nigel Sears, GB Fed Cup captain, said: Its a tough group, all three teams we will face are able to select world class players but we are looking forward to the challenge. Whoever plays in the number one spot for Great Britain will have a difficult task but its an excellent opportunity for them to test themselves against these sorts of players. Preparations have gone really well and weve got an excellent team spirit. Im happy with the court, the surface suits our players and weve had some good training sessions.

The round-robin ties will be competed on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with the play-offs taking place on Saturday. The ties will be played on a fast indoor carpet surface at the SYMA Sportkozpont 2,200 capacity stadium.

The four players selected to make up the GB team are:

Anne Keothavong
Elena Baltacha
Mel South
Katie OBrien

patch.
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Todays OOP

NB 4:00 pm Court 3:
Great Britain- Switzerland
Anne Keothavong- Emmanuelle Gagliardi
Katie O'Brien- Patty Schnyder
Baltacha/South- Gagliardi/Schnyder

patch.
Jan 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Keothavong def. Gagliardi 61 64 :woohoo:

Anne :hearts::rocker2:

GBR lead 1-0 :D

Europe rocks
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Schnyder def. O'Brien 7-6(5) 7-5 :tears: :bigcry: On the positive side of the coin, good to see Katie offer some tough competition. I thought it was going to be a 2 & 2 job at best for Patty

Schnyder/Gagliardi def. Baltacha/South 6-3 6-3 :sad:

Hungary tomorrow :scared:

Europe rocks
Jan 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hungary 2-1 Great Britain
:sad:

Mforensic
Feb 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Wow!! Anne is totally proving herself to be a top 100 player, while everyone else is just sucking!

Europe rocks
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Denmark 2-1 Great Britain
A.Keothavong def. HS.Jensen 4-6 6-4 6-2 :D
C.Wozniacki def. K.O'Brien 6-2 1-6 6-2 :sad:
Wozniacki/Dryberg def. Keothavong/Baltacha 6-3 6-2 :mad:

Relegation Play-off
Great Britain 2-0 Portugal :cool:
A.Keothavong def. A.Nogueira 6-1 7-6(1)
K.O'Brien def. M.De Lattre 6-4 6-2

Anne played very well in all her singles matches, won them all so lots of confidence :yeah:
Katie was always going to have a tough task, but pushing Schnyder to two close sets and taking Wozniacki, who reached the last 16 at the Aussie Open, showed us that she can do it and if she works her socks off these opening few months of 2008, she might do it :)
Some good signs despite not winning a group match

WIMBY
Feb 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
We stay up :)

Mforensic
Feb 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah!!!!!!

IMPOSSIBLE
Sep 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
If i was choosing at the moment my GB team would be...

1: Anne Keothavong
2: Laura Robson
3: Georgie Stoop
4: Melanie South

Reserve: Elena Baltacha

WIMBY
Sep 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Interesting ....