PDA

View Full Version : Who will bring Justine's winning streak down????

VeeJJ
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Right I think she has it all. If she keeps playing at her level of intensity she'll keep it going for a while. But with the fast approching Maria Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport she might get a run for her money.:bounce:

supergrunt
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Serena

plantman
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
There's a better chance of the Dixie Chicks and Toby Keith performing a duet together than that happening supergrunt!:lol: :lol:

supergrunt
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:31 AM
ok

pengluv
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM
i think venus or serena still they'll step up... but theree is a even greater chance of justines outbreak comin bac

Pasta-Na
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:57 AM
na li :D

doni1212
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Serena or Venus, ;)

Tennisation
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Herpes

doni1212
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Herpes

:haha:

Or a "tummy ache" :tape: :lol:

kaghat
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I say Jankovic.... she has enough to lose to Justine, and she is in training now focusing about Justine.... Every tennis ball contains a photo of justine.... :lol: :lol:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0617/ten_a_jankovic_275.jpg

http://www.mcits.be/justine.jpg

OsloErik
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I think it'll be someone slightly surprising, like Mauresmo in Paris or Dubai/Doha, or Kuznetsova in Dubai/Doha or on clay.

Also, Miami is the best chance people have. She really doesn't care for that tournament.

s_j
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Considering how close Maria got in Madrid, I'm gonna say her.

Brooks.
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM
hopefully Serena in Australia..if not her then Venus or Maria

somebody needs to step it up in Melbourne (again hopefully Serena)

DimaDinosaur
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Probably Maria, Serena or Venus will stop her soon

s_j
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Roger Federer???

Sharakim
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM
hopefully Serena in Australia..if not her then Venus or Maria

somebody needs to step it up in Melbourne (again hopefully Serena)My first choice would be Maria. But I think Venus has a better chance of beating Justine than Serena at this point.

Brooks.
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:42 AM
My first choice would be Maria. But I think Venus has a better chance of beating Justine than Serena at this point.

Serena has shocked everyone in Australia before...I think she'll be motivated to try and defend her title...all bets are off with Serena

I'd give her a shot against Henin as long as she doesn't have any serious injuries (that knee seems to forever be a problem though)

fioredeliberi
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
It will be one of the new gals, not her traditional enemies. She wants to beat the WS too much to lose to them, and the WS are shot players, on the decline.

Sharakim
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Serena has shocked everyone in Australia before...I think she'll be motivated to try and defend her title...all bets are off with Serena

I'd give her a shot against Henin as long as she doesn't have any serious injuries (that knee seems to forever be a problem though)Well she is certainly unpredictable....so there's a chance but I'll bet it's hard to keep those three consecutive QF losses out of her mind.

Sharakim
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Roger Federer???LOL!

Brooks.
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Well she is certainly unpredictable....so there's a chance but I'll bet it's hard to keep those three consecutive QF losses out of her mind.

she's not just going to sit by and let Justine take over without a fight

Serena will beat Justine again eventually...hopefully sooner rather than later:drool:

the doctor
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Williams sisters

Henpova
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I sure Maria, Serena, or Vee will beat her at some point, but I bet that the person that end her streak, will be a non-top ten player. She know how to play Maria and Serena.

Ninny
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Justine Henin ;)

Dor Y
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I think Serena or Venus will stop her in the AO

Dorcas Monjimbo
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I am very sure Venus or Lindsay or Maria will be able to beat Justine come 2008.

justine schnyder
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Venuw, Mauresmo or GOLOVIN

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'd give her a shot against Henin as long as she doesn't have any serious injuries (that knee seems to forever be a problem though)

and forever an excuse too :)

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Maria's the biggest threat to Justine right now. Venus is a close second.

Forehand_Volley
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I must agree with your wisdom, Zero.

Maria has her "A" game back and is more of a threat to Henin in Australia than anyone in the world.

williams.i.am
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
venus :worship:

pka_liloo
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
this is really strange to read so much about that Venus is going to do that, because after 2003 they only played once at US Open'07 and Justine won..

Juju4ever
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Jelena Jankovic. :)

Shonami Slam
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
i'm going with Ivanovic or Mauresmo indoors in paris.

athake
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM
i'm going with Ivanovic or Mauresmo indoors in paris.

Justine wont lose even a game in paris indoors this year :)

Russianboy
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
maria

Ninny
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Justine wont lose even a game in paris indoors this year :)

I can guarantee she won't even lose a point ;)

slydevil6142
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
this is really strange to read so much about that Venus is going to do that, because after 2003 they only played once at US Open'07 and Justine won..

wELL CONSIDERING SHES 7-2 AGAINST jUSTINE ITS NOT THAT ODD.Yes Justine did beat Venus this year but it wasnt like she was blown out of the water. Justine took it to Venus and caught her off guard. A mistake Im guessing Venus would like to rectify.

Ninny
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
wELL CONSIDERING SHES 7-2 AGAINST jUSTINE ITS NOT THAT ODD.Yes Justine did beat Venus this year but it wasnt like she was blown out of the water. Justine took it to Venus and caught her off guard. A mistake Im guessing Venus would like to rectify.

Why was Venus off guard? :confused:

shibster
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
maria. i dun think jj has a chance cos jj is just does not have enough offense, and besides, her serve is a real liability since justine returns so well.

WS, perhaps. who knows if they are serious in their fitness and training. but definitely have potential.

i dun think golovin or nicky has anything. they still lack the game to threaten justine, but i must say they are making grounds pretty quick, and it's good for tennis.

Mike_T
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Justine to Venus: “Did you know Justine_Fan is also a fan of yours?”

Venus: :scared:

jochem
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
It will be extremely tough to beat Justine in Australia cause she'll be extremely hyped up about winning it again and she'll be fresh again so even more focused than in her final tourneys this year... But still I would go for Serena, Venus or Maria.

AcesHigh
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Why??? :confused:

If you are going to beat Justine when she is on, you need good movement unless it's on a very fast surface like USO.

Henin will just exploit Sharapova's poor movement and IMO, she won't lose to Maria for a while unless she's off. Henin played poorly at YEC for a lot of the match...it's not a good barometer of their matchup.

Venus still poses the biggest matchup problem for Henin still but there's two questions that will probably decide who will win their next match: Can Venus start well and sustain a high level unlike their last match? and Can Justine raise her level as high as she did at USO again?

Serena wont pose a threat until she is fit enough not to be exhausted before the first set is over like their USO QF meeting. She also needs to flatten her shots and be more aggressive against Justine.

Amelie probably has a great shot if she's healthy and back to her old self.
I see Davenport/Jankovic/Ivanovic/Kuznetsova/Chakvetadze having no shot at the moment.

All that being said, I think it will take a letdown from Justine for her to lose. She's definitely had slip ups and weak matches. The YEC final should have been won by Sharapova... by that I mean it was probably the best shot she'll have for a while since Henin wasn't playing that awesome. Golovin has had a chance..and so have others. They just need to capitalize because even no a bad day, Henin will fight until the last point.

In The Zone
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Why??? :confused:

If you are going to beat Justine when she is on, you need good movement unless it's on a very fast surface like USO.

Henin will just exploit Sharapova's poor movement and IMO, she won't lose to Maria for a while unless she's off. Henin played poorly at YEC for a lot of the match...it's not a good barometer of their matchup.

Venus still poses the biggest matchup problem for Henin still but there's two questions that will probably decide who will win their next match: Can Venus start well and sustain a high level unlike their last match? and Can Justine raise her level as high as she did at USO again?

Serena wont pose a threat until she is fit enough not to be exhausted before the first set is over like their USO QF meeting. She also needs to flatten her shots and be more aggressive against Justine.

Amelie probably has a great shot if she's healthy and back to her old self.
I see Davenport/Jankovic/Ivanovic/Kuznetsova/Chakvetadze having no shot at the moment.

Spot on. :yeah:

slydevil6142
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Venus was off gurad b/c Justine has never played her like that before. When you own a player you fiqure out exactly what to do against them however the last 4 years Justine has def improved and Venus hadnt got a glimpse of that. Im sure Venus respected the "new" Justine but she went out onto the US Open courts basically winging it and using her past experience against Justine as the game plan. Venus has now gotten to see the new and improved beligian and I expect her to take it to her the next time they play. Venus's game isnt the ideal matchup for Justine ... Venus will always be a player Justine doesnt liek to play even if she gets wins over her... kinda like How Venus's game doesnt matchup well against Jelena's.

Expat
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM
amelie still
maria venus or serena in a blue moon

Mina Vagante
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Serena, Venus, Maria or Jelena

serenus_2k8
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Williams and Sharapova.

If they are fit all year Henin wont be quite as comfortable! ;)

Drake1980
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hopefully noone :lol:

Dodoboy.
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM
VENUS!
Golovin
Jankovic
Serena

Brooks.
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Serena proved you all wrong this time last year. Hopefully she'll do it again!

Dodoboy.
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
As a serena fan i am glad that people are doubting her!!
Because we all no the correlation....

Dodoboy.
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Or you were probably referring to my reply! haha

dybbuk
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I don't agree with all the people picking Tati to do it. I love Tati to death, but I don't think she is strong enough mentally to close out Henin right now. In the future, yes, but not yet.

Maria is the closest to beating Justine, so probably her. Serena too, she is too good and has too much heart to roll over for Justine, she will beat her at least once next year.

AcesHigh
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I don't agree with all the people picking Tati to do it. I love Tati to death, but I don't think she is strong enough mentally to close out Henin right now. In the future, yes, but not yet.

Maria is the closest to beating Justine, so probably her. Serena too, she is too good and has too much heart to roll over for Justine, she will beat her at least once next year.

People may think I'm crazy but I think Golovin has as good a chance as Sharapova. Tati is more likely to catch her on an off day.

Why is Sharapova the closest to beating Henin? Can someone explain this to me?? Her game does not match up well and recent form suggests it's not going to happen soon.

If Maria returns to 2006 summer hardcourt form, of course she will give Justine lots of problems.

However, based on 2007, especially with her subpar form in the YEC final. She's not first, second or third favorite to upset an inform Henin.

dybbuk
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
People may think I'm crazy but I think Golovin has as good a chance as Sharapova. Tati is more likely to catch her on an off day.

Why is Sharapova the closest to beating Henin? Can someone explain this to me?? Her game does not match up well and recent form suggests it's not going to happen soon.

If Maria returns to 2006 summer hardcourt form, of course she will give Justine lots of problems.

However, based on 2007, especially with her subpar form in the YEC final. She's not first, second or third favorite to upset an inform Henin.

I do give it to you that Justine is sometimes shaky in early rounds, so Tati would have the chance that Maria doesn't to play a rusty Henin.

Justine loses to players with good serves, ones that can count on holding and put pressure on her fragile serve. Maria's shoulder seems to be better, and IMO she will only get better in 2008. If her serve is there, her groundstrokes follow suit, and she is capable of pinning Justine on the baseline, and that's where Justine gets in trouble. As long as Maria's serve holds up, I don't see any reason why she can't beat Justine. Justine's tennis this year is impossible to keep up.

Forehand_Volley
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I don't know if you followed the YEC, but it was the longest final in quite some years and Sharapova played Henin tougher than anyone else had since the Wimbledon semifinals. I would have included Golovin, but Henin put her down in straight sets after a close three-setter the week before.

Considering that Venus rarely plays well at the end and beginning of the season, its unlikely that she will be the one that beats Henin.

Serena plays well at the Australian Open historically but Henin has gained a mental edge over her in the grand slam events.

Considering Maria's resurgence at the YEC, its logical that she will have the best chance again Henin.

AcesHigh
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I do give it to you that Justine is sometimes shaky in early rounds, so Tati would have the chance that Maria doesn't to play a rusty Henin.

Justine loses to players with good serves, ones that can count on holding and put pressure on her fragile serve. Maria's shoulder seems to be better, and IMO she will only get better in 2008. If her serve is there, her groundstrokes follow suit, and she is capable of pinning Justine on the baseline, and that's where Justine gets in trouble. As long as Maria's serve holds up, I don't see any reason why she can't beat Justine. Justine's tennis this year is impossible to keep up.

I agree with most, however, I think you are selling Justine short. I haven't seen the flat, aggressive groundstrokes from Maria in about a year so I'm not so sure we'll see them soon. Even then, Justine handles power off the ground very well and if she can handle Venus's and Serena's 120+mph serves, I think she can handle Maria's. If Sharapova wasn't such a poor mover on the court, I'd give her a better shot.

Look at how Henin exploits the poor speed of Serena and Davenport.

If, like you said, Henin cant sustain this high level, Sharapova has as good a chance as anyone. Yet, I have a feeling Justine isn't going to drop anytime soon. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

AcesHigh
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I don't know if you followed the YEC, but it was the longest final in quite some years and Sharapova played Henin tougher than anyone else had since the Wimbledon semifinals.

Considering that Venus rarely plays well at the end and beginning of the season, its unlikely that she will be the one that beats Henin.

Serena plays well at the Australian Open historically but Henin has gained a mental edge over her in the grand slam events.

Considering Maria's resurgence at the YEC, its logical that she will have the best chance again Henin.

Do you know why it was so long? Do you have the number of double faults and UFE's in that match? It wasn't a classic if we're just talking about quality. I agree with your other reasons though, except the mental edge over SErena. Henin is just better than Serena right now.. its not even a mental thing.

TLP
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I like the pick of Tati Golovin to be the one to stop Justine's run, not that I want that to happen. I saw Golovin play a beautiful first set against Justine in the fall in Germany. She was brilliant against Justine and then Justine picked her game up and Tati faltered. I like Golovin's attitude and she seems willing to do whatever it takes to improve. Venus seems more likely but my guess is Golovin.

danieln1
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Davenport, Serena?
But I think Amelie will be the first one to win against her...

partbrit
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:21 PM
As of now, my first pick is Maria. But I like Amelie and Jelena to do it, too.

cintatenis
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Venus. I see only her who can serve a great treat for Juju. :)

frontier
Dec 1st, 2007, 02:12 AM
Its going to happen 2008 mark my words,someone is going to do it and I believe she wont have the same impact she had this year.I dont think she is going to beat Serena the way she did this year,she is a marked woman and we know what happened to pova 2005 up to date .I think next year Serena will exact revenge and humiliate the no.1.Next year will be exciting buckle up!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ninny
Dec 1st, 2007, 02:49 AM
Its going to happen 2008 mark my words,someone is going to do it and I believe she wont have the same impact she had this year.I dont think she is going to beat Serena the way she did this year,she is a marked woman and we know what happened to pova 2005 up to date .I think next year Serena will exact revenge and humiliate the no.1.Next year will be exciting buckle up!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Uh Huh!

So what happened here then? :tape:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=11570300&postcount=12

bellascarlett
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'm looking forward to Maria doing it. :) If not her, it's probably gonna be someone unexpected...you know, just another bad loss for Justine. But at the AO, with the new surface...if Justine were to lose, it will most likely be against Maria or the Williams.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Justine has been recharged during the break season and I can't see anybody can stop her from winning streak until at least Miami :p

powerbackhand
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
vaidisova got pretty close

Natalicious
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
amelie or maria S.

domon17th
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Uhm, if it's at the Grand Slam stage, aka AO, I would say Maria. Especially judging from their last encounter(Madrid) and also last GS encounter(USO).

I don't really see Justine losing to either of the Williams really. If not Maria, maybe she'd lose to some other random players, who'd win cause of real bad play from Justine.

Weemee
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Amelie, at Eastbourne!

serenus_2k8
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Lol... I think that after the AO she is going to have constant pressure on her and a lot of points to defend.

Either she will enjoy the pressure or she will buckle. It could go either way IMO!

Geisha
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
In my opininon, it could be anybody.

I mean, we've seen how Pierce can play on her "best" days. Surely, the "best" Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Venus, Serena, Jankovic, Sharapova, and other top women can beat Justine. It all depends. Based on current form and the form of '07, it seems like Jankovic is consistently challenging Henin...Sharapova and Henin played one of the worst quality matches in history, so I wouldn't look into their YEC meeting too much. If it wasn't for the opening games of two sets, Venus and Henin were neck and neck. So, if Henin played a little worse in that match, it would've gone to Venus. If Serena loses weight and decides to smack the ball like she was trained to, she should beat Henin.

The Daviator
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know if you followed the YEC, but it was the longest final in quite some years and Sharapova played Henin tougher than anyone else had since the Wimbledon semifinals. I would have included Golovin, but Henin put her down in straight sets after a close three-setter the week before.

That was Henin's last match of a long season, in which she had won 9 titles, her opponent was well-rested, and she still couldn't win, of course Maria can beat Justine, but the example you should use is the US Open final they played, not the YEC final.

:confused:

Justine's H2H with Serena is 6-6, her H2H with Sharapova is 6-2. Serena has beaten Justine from 2 mps down, she'll always be able to draw on that in their matches mentally, it's not a mental problem with Serena, her tennis sucked when they played this year, simple as that.

As for the thread topic, look at who Justine lost to this year - Safarova, Serena, Kuznetsova and Bartoli, two of the 4 losses were to minnows, I expect her next loss will be to someone low-ranked, maybe a Szavay or a Paszek, I don't think it will be to a top player.

Matt01
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM
Sharapova and Henin played one of the worst quality matches in history, so I wouldn't look into their YEC meeting too much.

Exaggerating much, eh?

Geisha
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Exaggerating much, eh?

Maybe a little, but it wasn't a good match...only dramatic. The matchpoint was a testament to that!