PDA

View Full Version : What counrty do you think has had the most successful WTA players??

VeeJJ
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Personally i think Russia has done pretty good in that department with 8 players in the top 30 and six of them being in the top 20. The U.S. lost it's flame a while back. :bounce:

RJWCapriati
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Present - Russia

Past - USA

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Present- Russia
Past- USA

All time (overall)- USA

Aaron.
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Personally i think Russia has done pretty good in that department with 8 players in the top 30 and six of them being in the top 20. The U.S. lost it's flame a while back. :bounce: What kinda question is this..of course its Russia

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:27 AM
The U.S. lost it's flame a while back. :bounce:

It's true the future doesn't look so bright, but if we're talking about present day, the US did win two majors last year and Russia ZERO.

It will take probably more years than I'll be alive for Russia to even equal the Unites States past success in tennis. But at least they've assured themselves of a bright future with their current crop of talent.

AcesHigh
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Past- USA

Right Now?? - USA

Willam
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Past- USA

Right Now?? - USA

Yes right, besides the williamses

Osterloh., Harkleroad, Craybas, King, Tu.. all of them top 20 material :rolleyes:

But russia! :hearts:

Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Chakvetadze, Safina, Kirilenko and many more!!

Medina
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM
past - Spain or USA

Present - Russia.

AcesHigh
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Yes right, besides the williamses

Osterloh., Harkleroad, Craybas, King, Tu.. all of them top 20 material :rolleyes:

But russia! :hearts:

Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Chakvetadze, Safina, Kirilenko and many more!!

If we are talking about the number of players in the top 30... than of course Russia.

But all those players you named I would still put all of them below Venus/Serena and most of them now behind Davenport. DAvenport will probably be top 10 if not top 5 in her comeback while Petrova, Zvonereva, Safina, Dementieva and Kirilenko don't belong in the top 10 and Chakvetadze and Kuznetsova can be said to be pitiful top 5 players.

I think it's arguable at this point although last year, it was not...last year, I would have said Russia hands down.

Hashim.
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:23 AM
agree with others..
past-USA

present-Russia

Harvs
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:26 AM
present is obviously russia

past is obviously usa:)

Lucyxx
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Had - USA

Future - USSRussia

Jakeev
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Russia is definitely a powerhouse but I am not so sure about it's current junior stars. Its top player for instance, Anastassia Pavlyuchenkova, seems to be struggling in adjusting to the pro tour on just the Challenger level.

Doesn't mean she is going to go away, just means I can see the pressure starting to set in with the younger generation of Russian talent as I see a lot more nations improving rapidly.

Direwolf
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:40 AM
THE MOST SUCCESFUL PLAYERS..

DUH - USA ....

What kind of present/past r u talkng about??
Past/Present/ it would still be USA..

Can russia beat the USAs records...
USA has had the top 4 seeds in a slam...
USA has held the 4 GS lots of times..

if they beat those records... then theyre better..
right now...
those records still stand...

i am just answering the questions here...

A Magicman
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Overall: USA

Now: Rossiya
Then: USA

Willam
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM
If we are talking about the number of players in the top 30... than of course Russia.

But all those players you named I would still put all of them below Venus/Serena and most of them now behind Davenport. DAvenport will probably be top 10 if not top 5 in her comeback while Petrova, Zvonereva, Safina, Dementieva and Kirilenko don't belong in the top 10 and Chakvetadze and Kuznetsova can be said to be pitiful top 5 players.

I think it's arguable at this point although last year, it was not...last year, I would have said Russia hands down.

WTF?

Dementieva, Chakvetadze, Kuznetsova and Sharapova are top 10 material DUDE!

Watching
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Past - USA
Present - USA (still)
Future (very soon) - Russia

USA rules the roost in the past. Okay Russia already has a very good standing currently but still WS+Davenport are a bigger threat than Russian players. Very soon when WS/Davenport retires/recedes and Russians improve even more then Russia will be the best.

shrOOf
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Past - USA
Present - Russia
Future - China

LudwigDvorak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Petrova, and Dementieva have solidified their positions as perennial top 10 stars for a few years now. Myskina is no longer with us, but she would have been there with those four. Chakvetadze would also be a top 10 player, and she is, but I have to see if she can have two or three more seasons with these kinds of results like the others have had. Until then, she's, unfortunately, a solid top 10 player. Safina, Zvonareva, and Kirilenko, yes, do not belong in the top 10. But this is still five top 10 players (with a former slam champion retired basically and two other current Russian players who have been top 10 as well and have the ability to return there).

Although that just shows consistency goes to Russians, but Americans have the same consistency. From 2004-2007 (16 slams) four have been won by Russians and four by Americans. Comparatively, Belgium has gotten six, so does this award go to Belgium? It's all very vague and ambiguous, but these kinds of questions usually are. :o

So that means Belgium has six slams, Russia/USA four slams each, and France two in four seasons. Jesus. :o

Lukasz
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
POLAND :p

Expat
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM
when will we see england in any of these lists

In The Zone
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
The question is .. What country do you think has had the most successful WTA players.

The most successful players .. and what country --- the USA.
BJK, Evert, Davenport, Williams Sisters, Capriati.
[ Navratilova and Seles are borrowed ].

Russia is the answer to a SIMILAR question but with different wording.

For this question and this thread, the only answer is USA.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
WTA . Russia
ATP. Spain

n.sad
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Considering size(8 milion) and NO(awful) facilities - Serbia :)
Jankovic, Ivanovic - WTA TOP 4
Djokovic - 3rd. All of them less then 22yrs old
Juniors:girl: Jovanovski Bojana - only 15yrs 13th on ITF
boy: Krajinovic Filip- just look his age and hes recent results on Eddie Herr Champ and ITF.

Dodoboy.
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
USA!!!
The most interesting one would be to determine the future...
i think:
China
Serbia

AlexBarrington
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
russia, usa and serbia

Demska
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Who cares about the past?

Russia. :rocker2:

Uranium
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
USA
Seles- AMAZING career, 3 of 4 slams
Capriati- 3 slams, gold medal
Davenport-3 slams in singles, 3/4 slams in singles and doubles, gold medal
Venus-6 slams in singles and career slam in doubles, gold medals.
Serena-Serena slam, career slam in doubles, gold medal
Raymond-GREAT doubles player
Navratilova, BJK and Evert-the veterans.

Russia
young successful players and 4 slams

i'd go with USA

thrust
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
USA-2 Slams in 2007, Belgium-2 Slams in 2007, Russia-0 Slams 07. Tier 2 or above tournaments won in 07: Belgium-10, USA-3, Russia-? I doubt if there are 10 tournaments won among all the Russians. It is Quality that counts, not quantity. Actually, Serbia has a much better record than the Russians in 07.

thrust
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Oops, has had? The USA, no contest, and thats not even including Seles, or Navratilova!

Medina
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:02 AM
WTF?

Dementieva, Chakvetadze, Kuznetsova and Sharapova are top 10 material DUDE!

So how many US people one a grand slam this year..

Thnk about it, Russia isnt the strong right now.. The only really big contenders there are Kuznetsova and Sharapova they are the only players that actualy won a Grand slam..

as much as i will regreat this.. Both Serena and Venus won a Grand slam this year.. last russian that won was last year that was Maria Sharapova.. and then we go all the way back to 2004.

If this poll was asked in 2004, of course we all would of said that the russians are dominating. But not just now

Sean.
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM
2006 - France 2, Russia 1, Belgium 1
2007 - Belgium 2, America 2

It is Russia's turn to win the USO open next yearas Belgium and Russia alternate wins since 2003

Russia definately has more top players, but I think only Sharapova can win grandslams at the moment

USA only has 2 top players, both of which can win grand slams

Belgium has 1 top player, who can win grand slams

France and Italy have many good players, but I cant see any winning a grand slam in 2008. Golivin, Mauresmo and possibly Pierce could disprove that

Serbia - has two top players, don't know if they can win grand slams

Tp be honest the question is a bit vague to answer!