PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be a top 5 asian singles player???

VeeJJ
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:42 AM
This is a completely unpredictable question. We already know that they excell in doubles, but singles seems to be the weak point. The highest the asians have gotten is AI SUGIYAMA (JPN) being ranked No. 8 (February 9, 2004). Will Asian singles ever see the top five??? You tell me cause i'm still sceptical. :confused:

Jarrett
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM
This is a completely unpredictable question. We already know that they excell in doubles, but singles seems to be the weak point. The highest the asians have gotten is AI SUGIYAMA (JPN) being ranked No. 8 (February 9, 2004). Will Asian singles ever see the top five??? You tell me cause i'm still sceptical. :confused:

The sport seems to be booming in Asia. I would think is takes a while to develop those top player but I am sure it will happen.

RJWCapriati
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Yes, Asian countries are starting to focus on tennis more......

Rollo
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Rest a bit easier-it's already happened.

Kimiko Date was ranked #4 in November of 1995.

Surely it will happen again in the future at some point. I do feel though that VERY top players (champions) usually have unique qualities, whereas Asian tennis players in general come out of assemly-line national tennis associations.

This will make it harder IMO.

Can a Chinese parent defy a national tennis association in China the way Richard Williams, Mama Hingis, or Yuri Sharapov did? Even stretching back to champions like Graf, Seles, Evert, Navratilova, or Mo Connolly, they all have one thing in common--they were driven by parents or coaches who either ignored their national association or told them to shove it.

Henin might be one obvious exception to this (was she nurtured entirely within the Belgian tennis association??), but even Justine has thrived on being at odds with people.

This just isn't an option for Chinese players unless they defect.

As for Japan---
Tennis historian Ted Tinling once said the Japanese would never produce a champion because they were great at copying good technique, but discourage individuality.

Good technique produces a lot of quality players, but tennis is an individual sport.

ASP0315
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:02 AM
It will never likely to happen.

but top 10 is good bet. that too they might just touch it and will not likely to stay long.

Mikey.
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I think the Chinese player Li Na could potentially do very well in the future. She has had some really good results over the last couple of years, when not injured.

égalité
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:34 AM
It already has happened :dance:

kittyking
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Its already been done, I'm waiting for an African player to be top 5 :)

Harvs
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM

amanda coetzer?:)

tommyk75
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Bottom line: Why the heck not? AND (as others have mentioned) IT'S ALREADY HAPPENED!!! (Kimiko and, if you're also including Asian-Americans, Michael Chang)

kittyking
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:57 AM
...;12055119']amanda coetzer?:)

That is SO last century :p

brunof
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Natalie Grandin ;)

Harvs
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Natalie Grandin ;)

lol as if grandin will be a top 5 player?

dani-fan
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM
It will happen, I am sure but it takes a little bit more time since tennis is actually not very popular until the last couple of years. They have potential players but it also depends on how they contribute and develope this sport.

DimaDinosaur
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Asians will invade the top 10 in 2023 at least

esquímaux
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Short answer? No.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
One day!

williams.i.am
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:41 AM
if they can play hard like date then it can happen again. date may have been small but homegirl knew how to frustrate the shit out of peeps. if they can't bring it like date did then it's a wrap.