PDA

View Full Version : Biggest fanbase in Asia?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Which player has the biggest fanbase in Asia? I presume that it could be the Chinese players (Shuai Peng, Zi Yan, etc) or Sania Mirza, but I could be wrong...

Maybe the posters from Asia can give the answers in here? :wavey:

iPatty
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Mirza, probably.

antonella
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:35 AM
It used to be Hingis, maybe still is.

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM
If Justine finally decides to play an Asian tournament, we'll be able to see how many people are rooting for her :D As she always gets a lot of new fans when she plays a new tournament, I'm sure, she'd get a lot of new Asian fans :)

cellophane
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Um, which part of Asia? If we are talking China or Japan, I'd guess it would be Sharapova... am I right?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:34 AM
^^^
Well.... the entire Asia... from Turkey to Japan.

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:36 AM
^^^

well, Justine's the desert queen :cool:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM
well, Justine's the desert queen :cool:

God, do you ever post something that's not about Justine? :eek: :rolleyes: :help:

Hantuchova and Sharapova are really popular in Japan because they're tall, white and skinny. Mirza is probably the most popular because India has so many people and she has a bigger profile there than the Chinese players do in China.

cellophane
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:05 AM
^^^

Um, well... the entire Asia is too big... Sania would obviously be popular in India but not in Japan.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:05 AM
God, do you ever post something that's not about Justine? :eek: :rolleyes: :help:

Well, if you look at his/her nickname, you should have a clue by now :p

pengluv
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM
justine lip is the bell that rings around the whole entire world

mariahdg
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
just say In China
Justine Amelie Sharpe Vee&Ree LenaD Kim Hingis and Myskina
about chinese player abosolutely Li na
No mirza

littlepanda
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Hingis

DimaDinosaur
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Asians love people with white skin so my guess is Sharapova

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Williams?:shrug:

Because Asians tend to have some curiousity against 'black-skinned' people.
So if they are there,I believe they will cheer them like lunatics if Williamses are able to play dominant tennis.:p

Dor Y
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Sania Mirza!

justine schnyder
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I think Sania..

chuvack
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Angelique Widjana was the ITF #1 junior and she had the biggest fan base in Asia, but after a promising first year on WTA tour, she sucked completely and now I think she retired from competition. I think her popularity was based on her looks and not her game.

mariahdg
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
4 sure
all asians love Mirza

LudwigDvorak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Dementieva is supposedly one of the most popular tennis players in Japan, and one article I read said she was #2, behind Federer. I wouldn't have thought that one, but a good portion of Elena's success has come in Asia (4/8 singles titles in Asia).

Hingis, for sure, is massive there. I've seen her play enough Tokyo matches over the years and just hearing the applause she gets for winning a point is huge. I would think she's the most popular Asian player outside of a spare few Asian players, like Mirza.

Harju.
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:36 PM
In Singapore, based on exposure, I don't think anyone can beat Kournikova, but for active player, it's Maria Sharapova based on commercials alone. I caught a movie last week and they had 3 Sharapova ads (Canon, Gatorade and Nike).

iamhe
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
As far as I know, Justine & Hingis -- (in East Asia) ,and probably Na Li -- (in China) & Mirza --(in India).

Tennisation
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
maybe Venus? Since she whored the whole Asian tournaments this year:lol:

Max565
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hingis is pretty popular and Sharapova obviously.

A South Korean who is in touch with western culture and sports would probably only know Sharapova and maybe Venus :p

pancake
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Williams?:shrug:

Because Asians tend to have some curiousity against 'black-skinned' people.
So if they are there,I believe they will cheer them like lunatics if Williamses are able to play dominant tennis.:p

Well I definitely won't say they are popular in Asia but it's my opinion only.

Bingain
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Well I definitely won't say they are popular in Asia but it's my opinion only.

AFAIK, the Williams are quite popular in Asia, as in most parts of the world. But they are not the most. If you're talking about looks, most Asians would have a bigger fetish towards blonde, because that's something not in their genes at all (until after invention of hair dyes :p ).

I also believe Hingis has been the one. Sharapova's been catching up humongous. Cannon plays a major advertising role in Asia. Naturally Li in China and Mirza in India as well (I had a talk with an Indian friend lately who never watches tennis and he's a Mirza fan.)

Hashim.
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
here it was Martina all the way before..

but now Sania and Maria are fan favourites;)

rolandg
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Probably Hingis.

I remember Seles was also huge in Japan and, I think, China.

miffedmax
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Dementieva is supposedly one of the most popular tennis players in Japan, and one article I read said she was #2, behind Federer. I wouldn't have thought that one, but a good portion of Elena's success has come in Asia (4/8 singles titles in Asia).

Hingis, for sure, is massive there. I've seen her play enough Tokyo matches over the years and just hearing the applause she gets for winning a point is huge. I would think she's the most popular Asian player outside of a spare few Asian players, like Mirza.

Yeah, Lena's popularity in Japan is also alluded to in the Peace Magazine interview that may or may not be in GM.

There's a reason she looks like a Yonex billboard.

rockstar
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:09 AM
In Singapore, based on exposure, I don't think anyone can beat Kournikova, but for active player, it's Maria Sharapova based on commercials alone. I caught a movie last week and they had 3 Sharapova ads (Canon, Gatorade and Nike).

yes, sadly that's true. i have been in a mall where she's on three different levels on three different stores :help:

ASP0315
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
sania and martina
I remember last year when martina played in kolkata. there were a lot of fans cheering for her when she played melinda czink.

sania mirza draws good crowds all over asia not just india.
Also i heard she got good amount of fans in England and Australia.

KanSuke
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:16 AM
Sharapova and Hingis (in Taiwan:))

(Yung-Jan Chan and Su-Wei Hsieh also popular in taiwan)

in asia i guess it's sania or sharapova

mckyle.
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:23 AM
Sharapova because the Asian stereotype is that they are obsessed with blondes.

Renalicious
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Probably Sharapova.

gotthebend
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:45 AM
Dunno. My guess is Hingis, Henin and the Williams sisters(in Taiwan.)
Then maybe Sharapova
We're not too keen on young guns.