PDA

View Full Version : which players have a great "Inside-Out" forehand?

chuvack
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
This is a shot used very often in mens tennis (see Roger and Rafa) but not as much in WTA.

I would say Dementieva and Kuznetsova are the best at this shot, Henin also use it as one of her big weapons. And of course Ivanovic. And coming from the left side, Schnyder can be extra tricky using the inside out.

On the other hand, Sharapova and Williams sisters (esp Venus) are not very good on inside-out forehand. Neither Chakvetadze, Jankovic, or Mauresmo.

kinglear
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Dementieva, Kuznetsova and Ivanovic. Off the top of my head.

Slutiana
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Tatiana Golovin. Period. I love watching her inside out forehand.

égalité
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Kuznetsova and Henin.

Lucyxx
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Missing thus far - Vaidisova

kinglear
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Petrova have a pretty good inside-out forehand?

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Ivanovic :hearts:

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
JH, ED and AI. All three have reliably amazing inside outs. SK has a great one, but it's really hit or miss. JCap also had a great one.

HenryMag.
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Dementieva Kuznetsova Ivanovic

Sean.
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I think the question should be:

Who has the best inside out forehand?

I'm going to say Ana.

Has anyone ever seen an inside out backhand?

s_j
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I've seen Sharapova and Safina hit an inside out backhand. Both pretty good.

I thought Maria's inside out forehand wasn't that bad. Davenport's is always great to watch. As is Ivanovic's.

Tennace
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I'm going to say Ana.

Yeah i have, Nicole hits a lot of her shots as inside out shots on the forehand wing mainly but on backhands sometimes too.

dybbuk
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Anastasia used to do it. :p

As for the topic, Demented, Ana, and Golovin. Sveta when she is on, but that is not even half the time anymore it seems.

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM

I'm going to say Ana.

myskina's and Hingis's are amazing!

kinglear
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM

I'm going to say Ana.

I think I've seen Elena D do it before.

SV_Fan
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I like Venus' inside out backhand

vw.
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Henin, Dementieva for sure.

Derek.
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Of course.

Hingis, Henin, Mauresmo, V. Williams, Jankovic, Hantuchova, etc. all have good inside-out backhands.

Demska
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
LenaD

Watch some of her matches from USO 2004 :)

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Serena's got a great inside out backhand. She uses it quite often and it's one of her better shots. She uses the shot to rush her opponent. She'll usually go for that shot when she's got good court positioning and it's one of the shots where she'll hit the ball on the rise. It's a very effective shot she uses against Sharapova. Vaidisova and Venus both have that shot too.

As for the inside out forehand, which is one of my favorite shots, Steffi had the best. She's the one who made that shot popular. Clijsters had a great one too, but on the circuit today I also like Ivanovic's and Kuznetsova's.

iPatty
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:40 PM
^^ I agree with Clijsters. When she was on, her inside-out forehand was just booming in the corners. :hearts:

Ivanovic has a good one. I don't really think of Elena having a good inside-out. She has a great forehand, but not one of the better inside-out forehands. I may be biased, but Patty has a good inside-out. She doesn't use it that often but when she does, it always catches her opponent off-guard. She can even hit that short inside-out angle. :drool: :D

Viktymise
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
LenaD

Watch some of her matches from USO 2004 :)

I was about to say the exact same thing. Plus RG 04.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Lindsay Inside Out forehand is always a winner down in the corner.

kittyking
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Sacha Jones, Marina Erakovic, Ellen Barry all have great inside out forehands - infact Ellens inside out forehand is better than most top 20 players!

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Sacha Jones, Marina Erakovic, Ellen Barry all have great inside out forehands - infact Ellens inside out forehand is better than most top 20 players!

:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:
Thats a big claim!

kittyking
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM
:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:
Thats a big claim!

It's just a pity she hasn't quite learned what the backhand is yet :tape:

*its the side where she keeps making all those stupid errors and weak returns from, also what side most players hit too

-sugi-
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Ana's :inlove:.

liuxuan
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Graf deffo has the best inside out forehand ever, it was amazing!

Jennifer capriati and davenport also had really good ones.

today, henin and ivanovic's are probably the best, henins has a lot of topspin, which makes it different from the others mentioned.

OsloErik
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Graf consistently could hit the inside out forehand better than any player I've ever seen. The only player I've seen since her use it as devastatingly in a single match was Kuznetsova in '06 against Sharapova at Miami, but Kuzzie (love her) is so freaking inconsistent that I can't really caller hers great. Clijsters had a pretty impressive one, but she didn't use it as effectively as Graf. Capriati used to hit hers on the run, which I've never seen anyone do. Ivanovic looks like she may have the next GREAT inside out forehand.

switz
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Golovin and Ivanovic seem to be especially good at this shot.

LindsayRulz
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Henin, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic and Dementieva.

yukon145
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:01 PM
davenport, capriati, golovin.

pengluv
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:36 PM
i wonder does marion hit inside out double hand forehands

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Graf deffo has the best inside out forehand ever, it was amazing!

Jennifer capriati and davenport also had really good ones.

today, henin and ivanovic's are probably the best, henins has a lot of topspin, which makes it different from the others mentioned.

With Graf, the inside out forehand was her best forehand, but with JCap and Davenport it's not. JCap best forehand shot was her running forehand and forehand down the line and Davenport's best forehand is her cross-court and down the line. But they did have great inside out forehand too.

Breaking down the forehands:

Inside-out Forehand:
1. Steffi
2. Clijsters
3. Ivanovic

*honorable mention to Golovin and Henin

Cross-court Forehand:
1. Pierce
2. Serena
3. Steffi

*honorable mention to Dementieva, Ivanovic, and Mirza

Forehand Down The line:
1. Capriatti
2. Kuznetsova
3. Seles

*honorable mention to Steffi, Sharapova, and Dementieva.

Running Forehand:
1. Capriatti
2. Venus
3. Dementieva

*honorable mention to A.Molik, Ivaonvic, and Serena

Transition (in to the net) Forehand:
1. Henin
2. Navratilova
3. Venus

*honorable mention to Davenport, Pierce, and Steffi

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:46 PM
i wonder does marion hit inside out double hand forehands

Not sure about Bartoli, but Seles had that shot.

tonythetiger
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I think I know what an "inside out forehand" is, but would someone please explain this shot to me.

Thanks in advance.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I think I know what an "inside out forehand" is, but would someone please explain this shot to me.

Thanks in advance.

Often times the inside-out forehand is set up when players run around their back hand and strike a forehand to their opponents backhand side (assuming the opponent is also right handed). So basically it’s hitting a forehand from the inside of the court to the outside of the court.

Picture a player hitting a forehand from the middle of the service box. Now picture the ball coming directly at him up the middle of the court. The player preparing to hit the ball back takes a few steps to his left and hits the forehand directing the ball to his right, or his opponents backhand (again, assuming both players are right handed).

Hope that helps, the best way is to show you. Once you see it you’ll always recognize it.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM
[/URL]I think I know what an "inside out forehand" is, but would someone please explain this shot to me.

Thanks in advance.

Found it! Here's a link of Steffi hitting an inside-out forehand. She hits two of them during this rally. The last shot she hits is a winner from an inside-out forehand.

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JfKrVCCeQM (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JfKrVCCeQM)

sammy01
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:02 AM
i always thought pierce had great disguise on her forehand from the backhand corner, she could hit the cover of it both ways with the same preperation and follow through. as for the inside out backhand again pierce made this shot look easy.

LUIS9
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:56 AM
myskina's and Hingis's are amazing!

Venus's too, such wicked angles some times just sick. :worship: Hingis used to create some very acute angles off this shot.

brent-o
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM

I'm going to say Ana.

Yes! And I would say Jelena has the best on tour, hands down. She's so confident in that shot.

tommyk75
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Found it! Here's a link of Steffi hitting an inside-out forehand. She hits two of them during this rally. The last shot she hits is a winner from an inside-out forehand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RXY6ajPgdpY&feature=related

Not trying to quibble, but that last forehand winner is NOT an inside-out forehand. For it to qualify, Steffi would have had to hit it to her (right-handed) opponent's BACKHAND side.

Medina
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I'm going to say Ana.

Austria vs Australia (fed Cup)

Paszek did one i think it was again Stosur. it was great

Ben.
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Kim definitely had one of the best inside out forehands when she was playing on the tour. It always seemed to be her bread & butter shot along with her crosscourt forehand & that was mainly the shot along with the CCF that won her matches when she being offensive.

Venus has a good one I reckon...from my perspective some girls know her forehand is a weaknesses but when its on & they hit it towards her she can just blast it away or if not to say the least make that shot that is gonna set her up for an easily winner.

Lena D has a good as well too, she was hitting her inside out forehand really well in moscow.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Not trying to quibble, but that last forehand winner is NOT an inside-out forehand. For it to qualify, Steffi would have had to hit it to her (right-handed) opponent's BACKHAND side.

I posted the wrong video, I've since put the one I thought I had posted originally. thanks

Hots4Safin
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I wouldn't call it one of Serena's better shots, but I remember a couple of beautiful inside outs from her AO 05 semi with Sharapova:devil:

tommyk75
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:58 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JfKrVCCeQM

Ah... Duly noted :)

Dexter
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Currently Ana has the best inside-out FH.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Sam has a good one!

justine schnyder
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I think Ivanovic, Henin, Golovin
Patty on the lefty side..

Dor Y
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Golovin and Lena D have great inside out forehand!
I saw Lena D in moscow and it was really good as well also Ana's.
Sveta and Tati have a great one too :)

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Breaking down the forehands:

Inside-out Forehand:
1. Steffi
2. Clijsters
3. Ivanovic

*honorable mention to Golovin, Hingis, and Henin

Cross-court Forehand:
1. Pierce
2. Serena- wicked angles
3. Steffi

*honorable mention to Dementieva, Seles, Ivanovic, and Mirza

Forehand Down The line:
1. Capriatti
2. Kuznetsova
3. Seles

*honorable mention to Steffi, Sharapova, and Dementieva.

Running Forehand:
1. Capriatti
2. Venus
3. Dementieva

*honorable mention to A.Molik, Ivaonvic, and Serena

Transition (in to the net) Forehand:
1. Henin
2. Navratilova
3. Venus

*honorable mention to Davenport, Petrova, and Hingis

adding on...

slice forehand (chip or hackshot):
1. Clijsters
2. Kuznetsova
3. Navratilova

*honorable mention to Novotna and Serena

Forehand Passing shot:
1. Steffi
2. Sharapova
3. Serena

*honorable mention to Venus, Henin, Vaidisova and Ivanovic

Forehand Return (of serve):
1. Seles
2. Serena
3. Dementieva

*honorable mention to Davenport, Sharapova, and Peirce

OK, I'm done. :lol:

chuvack
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Thanks in advance.

easiest way to explain it:

A player is standing far over on the left side of court, hitting their forehand cross-court on an opposite diagonal line (or "inside out") to the left side of the opponents court.

(For left-handers, of course they are standing on the right side of the court hitting to the opponents right side.)

Shonami Slam
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Ivanovic runs around the backhand side to hit them really well, but i barely see her executing it when she is already balanced and placed on court to simply hit it, the way you might see golovin, henin and dementieva do.

I already said it before that should ana develope that shot of hers, which IMO is the best on tour she could base it to her natural fast-court based game and start attacking the net on it much more.

Juju4ever
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Golovin, Ivanovic and Lena D.

tonythetiger
Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
[/URL]

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JfKrVCCeQM (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JfKrVCCeQM)

Thank you! That's exactly what I thought an inside out forehand was.:wavey:

mboyle
Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
Analysis of names that have been thrown about:

Justine--she does use it a lot. Arguably, she shouldn't. Her forehand is not as deadly as her backhand. She hits it hard, but it has a lot of topspin, doesn't penetrate the court very well, and misses more than most of her other shots. It's very good (because she's very good) but not the best in the game.

Graf--obviously, hands down had the best inside out.

Capriati--as has been stated, her running forehand was better than the IO, though every shot off the FH from Cap was dang good.

Davenport--very rarely even employs this shot...

Kuznetsova--she hits the cross court forehand better, I feel. Her DTL and IO forehands are pretty inconsistent.

Golovin--deceptively good, but she's too inconsistent for her to be considered the greatest in the game right now. Let her spend a year in the top ten first.

Sharapova--when she's on, this shot is devastating. When she's off, this shot makes her lose to the Radwanskas of the world. And really, even when she's on, her serve and backhand are better anyway.

Williams sisters--both have better backhands.

Vaidisova--like Kuznetsova, her cross court FH is better. Her IO ends points...just not always the way she intends.

Ivanovic--to me, Ivanovic has the second best IO I've seen, after Steffi. She uses it very often, hits it fluidly, hits it hard, and rarely misses. Even when Ivanovic is playing bad tennis, her forehand is still top class, especially the IO. Her serve goes off pretty easily, and her shot selection gets downright stupid, but the forehand is always there.