PDA

View Full Version : Which top 30 player has the best volley?

Keaka
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
There aren't so many that really got skills on the net... so who is the best one?

Henin
Kuznetsova
Venus (weird, but makes them)
Ivanovic (really showed great netplay @ yec)
Petrova
Mauresmo
Schiavone
Srebotnik
Vaidisova (also played great volleys indoors!)
Other...who?

cypher_88
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
IMO Mauresmo, Venus and Henin

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Venus has I think the best reach, obviously, and the best swinging volleys, but JH has the best drop volleys and overheads and AM has the best traditional volleys.

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
some on that list are :tape:

I voted for Mauresmo

Keaka
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
who's :tape: ?

Wayn77
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Mauresmo - she really "knife's" it :drool:

Petrova has tremendous touch at the net (on a good day)

swissmr
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hard to choose between Justine and Amelie.

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:23 PM
who's :tape: ?

for me, Vaidisova isnt even close to the likes of Justine and Amelie. Ana volleyes have improved out of sight this season but arent quite there yet. Francesca while is a decent doubles player who has reached the YEC there, imo a poor voolleyer, having watch her play at Wimbledon this year against Kremer.

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I would hate to have JH, AM or VW at the net against me!

Venus reach is just crazy - I voted her for obvious reasons!

LudwigDvorak
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I remember reading old threads on here from 2004, during the US Open, and a few people remarked how Dementieva had (among) the best hands/skills at net out of the top players. Now she can't volley for shit, but in 2004, she was a killah up the court.

Now it's either Henin or Mauresmo. Both are wizards up there, but I think Amelie is a bit more of a wizard, particularly the past few years. She had many hopeless moments up there before 2005.

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Justine's high BH volleys are just YUM YUM YUMMY

DA FOREHAND
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Amelie

Justine
Venus

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
it really is between Justine and Mauresmo. You could also put Venus up there because her reach is demon but she can be kind of sloppy with the actual volley.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Venus. You don't own wimbledon 4 times without the best volley on tour

shrOOf
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Amelie.

justine schnyder
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Voted for Mauresmo. I think she has the best volley.
After her, it's Venus and Justine

champion88
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
definitely Sharapova :tape:

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM
:lol:

Dementieva_Dude
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Now that Hingis is retired (:sad:) I'll go with Amelie, although Justine and Venus are very good too.

A tougher question would be "who has the WORST volleys in the top 30 :tape:

Bartosh
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM
1.Venus
2.Amelie
3.Justine

the worst? Hmm... Maria Roddickova

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
it would a denial to say its not Mauresmo.

Come on, admit it!!! everyone should admit it!

Conor
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Mauresmo and Justine.

Lucyxx
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Srebotnik. Fantastic athlete. Loves to compete.

Weemee
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
S'gotta be Momo...beautiful to watch at the net!

Slutiana
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Venus has I think the best reach, obviously, and the best swinging volleys, but JH has the best drop volleys and overheads and AM has the best traditional volleys.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, venus is the most intimidating at the net and will often get an easier volley just through the fact that shes 6ft1 and Venus williams

some on that list are :tape:

Yep...Vaidisova, Ivanovic? :spit:

HenryMag.
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Amelie and Justine - no question

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that sounds about right. Also, venus is the most intimidating at the net and will often get an easier volley just through the fact that shes 6ft1 and Venus williams

Yep...Vaidisova, Ivanovic? :spit:

VW is amazing intimidating up there bc she's long and she's intense, which makes all the passings she received from JH at the USO all that sweeter.

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
So you think Venus is the best volleyer then?

IceHock
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Amelie and Justine are way ahead of the pack in volleying skills. Venus comes in alot but she doesn't stick her volleys enough, when she's on top of the net she's fine.

AmeDevotee
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
it would a denial to say its not Mauresmo.

Come on, admit it!!! everyone should admit it!

:yeah: Amelie's volleys: :drool:

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM
So you think Venus is the best volleyer then?

If this is a response to what I said, I don't really know how to get that from what I said.

Uranium
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Venus. You don't own wimbledon 4 times without the best volley on tour

;) i agree.:D
watch this vid, you'll see the best match of the year involving the best volleyer.
http://www.dailymotion.com/tennismania/video/x3kz8y_highlights-venus-williams-vs-jankov_sport

dybbuk
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Amelie. Wimbledon 2006 :worship: She is the best, with Henin a close second.

Hugo24
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Amelie

hablo
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Amélie Mauresmo.

Natalicious
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Amélie kthxbye

The Daviator
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I remember reading old threads on here from 2004, during the US Open, and a few people remarked how Dementieva had (among) the best hands/skills at net out of the top players. Now she can't volley for shit, but in 2004, she was a killah up the court.

Now it's either Henin or Mauresmo. Both are wizards up there, but I think Amelie is a bit more of a wizard, particularly the past few years. She had many hopeless moments up there before 2005.

Elena's volleys at RG '04 were amazing, especially in the Mauresmo match.

Best volleyers on tour IMO -

1. Mauresmo
2. Venus
3. Henin

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Mauresmo easily

AcesHigh
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
If you watch enough matches, you'll see Venus is a poor volleyer(if that's a word). She botches too many.

If she had the best volleys, she'd have a few more slams because with her serve, height, reach, power and quickness, she'd just charge the net half the time and her opponent wouldnt be able to do anything.

1. Mauresmo
2. Henin
Kuznetsova, Petrova, Srebotnick and others.

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:13 PM
If this is a response to what I said, I don't really know how to get that from what I said.

Dont worry :)

Russianboy
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM
tennis is just about the mental game. everybody in the top 10 can play a good back, forehand, serve or a volley. the most important point is the mental part of tennis.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
tennis is just about the mental game. everybody in the top 10 can play a good back, forehand, serve or a volley. the most important point is the mental part of tennis.

Really? I can remember a certain blonde Russian in the top 10 who doesn't have a good volley :tape:

serenus_2k8
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Really? I can remember a certain blonde Russian in the top 10 who doesn't have a good volley :tape:

:lol: The claws are out!

Russianboy
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:26 PM

she can play some good volleys.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:29 PM
she can play some good volleys.

Sure, if it's a swing volley. If it's anything else...:help: :help: :help:

Not a good volley.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
My TOP 4 Single players who can Volley:

Mauresmo can volley even in akcward situation. If she can come to the net versus any other player, she has more chances of winning. If you actually read the comments on the players tactics against her, its usually to keep her at the baseline because she is deadly when she comes to the net.

Henin can comes second to Amelie but its only because of her nice set-up and approach shot and speed.

Venus also has a good volley though she can only come to the net on her terms. If you put a drop shot on her and let her volley the next shot, it would be a winner. Though Its easier to say than done to dropshot her, she has the speed and reach.

Lindsay volleys is also good ( she can partner with anyone in doubles and produce descent result). She is almost same as Venus though Venus has more reach because of her speed, but Lindsay has more finesse and placement.

Megkiss!
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately I'd say Mauresmo :rolleyes:

Topspin2
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Maria Kirilenko

RJWCapriati
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Henin definitely ..... I don't think Vaidisova should have been considered though! :p

Paul.be
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Justine and Amélie with Amélie getting the style points. Justine isn't tall enough to hit such a stylish volley.

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Mauresmo, followed by Petrova.

Alicia Rocks
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Amelie

spiritedenergy
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Ana. At YEC she showed the best skills.

LUIS9
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:26 AM

You pretty much summed it up just as it really is and in my view that too is how I see it. Venus doesn't have the most classic look like let's say Mauresmo or Henin, yet she's got the best reach and when she's attacking the net she rarely loses a point. Not only is she intimidating but extremely imposing and she's got the best swinging volleys period.

Sharapova too has good swing volleys but shes vulnerable under pressure and she missed way too many easy swing volleys all of 2007 especially under pressure to even come close to competing with Venus on this category. Serena too has awesome swing volleys but she can be suspect at net, she does not have the softest hands.

Henin overall is the best volleyer because she uses them the most effectively and is the most aggressive when volleying. Mauresmo has the best form and has the classic look especially with the forehand volley reminiscent of Billie Jean on the forehand volley technique. Nevertheless, she can get a bit too cute and instead of being effective tries to be too "classic" with her form and technique which is fine but not always the most effective, opting for form instead of function.

Henin cuts and really punches her volleys and her approaches to the net are the most effective overall for the past 3 yrs. Mauresmo has been better at net but not when it counted the most with the exception of Wimbledon '06 a perfect example of amazing serve and volleying from both Mauresmo and Henin.

LUIS9
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Justine and Amélie with Amélie getting the style points. Justine isn't tall enough to hit such a stylish volley.

Ditto. Look at post above. :p

LUIS9
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I know I should have merged all my posts in one. I am too lazy for that just at this moment.

Nonetheless, I honestly don't know how Vaidisova even makes this poll. Vaidisova and Volleys do not go hand in hand. Her technique at net is very questionable and her instincts at net are very unreliable.

Decent volleyers. Petrova she's third after Henin and Mauresmo actually she could be tied with Venus coming right after the top two. Kuznetsova is a decent volleyer she can show some good form and classic technique at net from time to time. Alicia Molik has very sound volleys and has good net instincts as well as Samantha Stosur. Lisa Raymond has amazing hands and has amazing pickup volleys. Then the tour becomes a big question as to who can volley in this day of modern style of tennis.

Ivanovic has improved her net game tremendously and she's made the effort to try to feel much more comfortable up there, she has pretty soft hands for a big gal. However, Ivanovic is by no means a decent volleyer just yet she's just better than average.

LUIS9
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:49 AM
On a side note Hingis was a good volleyer. Lately and recently she became too passive and unsure at net because passing shots just became so much more lethal than in the mid to late 90's.

Nonetheless, Hingis probably has the best drop volley of her generation, she did lack stick on her volleys lately and in recent years. This lack of punch and stick on her volleys weakens her argument against the more aggressive volleyers in Mauresmo and Henin.

Now that Davenport was mentioned, she does have a very decent volley her forehand volley has very good stick and depth. She has such soft hands it's incredible, and it is no wonder she was so good in doubles and still is.

Natasha Zvereva had the softest hand and she was so quick at net her reflexes were exquisite just like Novotna. These two come only second to Navratilova and Billie Jean as having the most classic form and sweetest hand on the volley.

I concur Venus is not the best volleyer by any stretch of the imagination, she has good volleys and can show some good form but she's not the best volleyer for sure. Given the poor use of volleys in todays modern game she does come up as one of the better volleyers.

Hashim.
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Amelie:D:rocker2:

mariahdg
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
amelie obviously :D

Dor Y
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Definitely Mauresmo and Henin!
I saw their last match in eastbourne and that was a great match with lot of volley winners!

williams.i.am
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
petrova got this

LegionArgentina
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Henin and Mauresmo by far has the best volley in singles.
Nadia Petrova could do pretty well also, in her match against Ruano Pascual in Wimbledon, both player were great a the net.

dya74
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
if it's about the points a player wins at net, the best is Henin. If it's about the style, well, Sharapova’s movements are very graceful ( her tallness is a big help). And ones it was Mauresmo...

Venus+Serena#1fan
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Mauresmo followed by Henin and Vee. However when Venus is playing well because her shots are so big and her wingspang so wide she is the toughest to pass!

wally1
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Mauresmo easily, followed by Henin and Venus Williams. In the top 30 Petrova and Kirilenko are also pretty good. In the top 100 Roberta Vinci is an excellent volleyer.

In The Zone
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Venus is an honorable mention simply because her shots are so flat and booming, she usually sets up easy volleys for herself -- especially with her reach ( like so many have said ).

However, the best volley is Justine. She pulls out so many of her hat and it's like :eek:. Go check out the Venus/Justine USO SF highlight reel. The first point or second point of the tiebreak Justine hits an UNREAL volley to win the point.

youkoulélé
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Amelie :bounce:

thrust
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:12 AM
Justine's high BH volleys are just YUM YUM YUMMY

They are awsome! It is very close between Justine and Amelie, but I would give Justine a slight edge. Venus would be my #3

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:08 AM
mauresmo...

vswfan
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Amelie>Venus=Justine

Ceze
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
when she's in, Amelie of course :yeah:

Lapin
Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
Amélie because her volleys are so natural and such a fluid movement.

danieln1
Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:09 AM
Mauresmo of course, then Justine in a close second place.
I remember Wimbledon 2006, she was just at the net all the time, making very dificult and effective volleys... God, I miss prime time Amelie!

hablo
Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:26 AM
God, I miss prime time Amelie!
Ditto!

Renalicious
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Venus, without a doubt.

The Dawntreader
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
In terms of the drive-volley, it's Venus hands down:) Her athleticsm and reach just makes that drive-volley so good:worship:

In terms of the conventional volley, it would be:

amelie, Justine, venus. I'd put Lindsay in there too, who has terrific technique on her backhand volley:D

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Amelie.