PDA

View Full Version : Is the tennis of Navratilova era the same as now?

kaghat
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Can we compare the tennis era of Navratilova with the tenis era of the Williams, Henin Clijsters and Sharapova. Don't you think that the times have changed and to win 74 matches in a row is impossible... or there is more competition now and that is better for tennis. Come on guys... tell me what you think...

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/40_Greatest_Players/2006_04_14_navratilova.jpghttp://www.parlonstennis.com/files/images/20070128/1185830828_tmp_sgraf_jhenin.jpg

Xander
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM
That was then. This is now. :)

*Jool*
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Defintely not
and that's a shame IMO.

:hatoff:

that was pure, beautiful tennis.
oh, it's still a great game/sport and I love it , but I prefered old school tennis styles of play (80/00 basically)

Zehri98
Nov 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
No this era is not the same as the 70's, 80's or even the early 90's and thatís due to a number of reasons such as increased professionalism, which has lead to higher levels athleticism throughout the entire game. Advancements in technology have also changed the game, due to racket technology shots with huge topspin are the most prevalent in this era and rightly so. In the past most players only hit with a little topspin, they hit more flat and even had some underspin, which was fine for that time. Some of the shots played with modern rackets would lead to wrist fractures with wooden or old style metal rackets. So most players in previous eras would find it difficult to compete in the modern game, but if they were raised in this era, their games too would be different.

That said, I believe that the ladies who were at the top of the game in their respective eras would be able to compete competently with the modern day players, especially Navratilova. Having seen her compete in doubles up until last year at her age gives credence to this. This also applies to Court (so powerful), BJK (amazing volleys), Evert (a mental giant, whose shots were more powerful than they appear) and Goolagong (genius, some of her shots were simply unbelievable) among others.

Jakeev
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Do people really think that the people Martina in 1983 demolished actually would have a shot at today's top players?

Let's see the names Martina faced that year. There's Kathy Horvath who had the lone shock win over Martina at the French. At Wimbledon, Martina beat the likes of Jennifer Mundel, Beverly Mould and Yvonne Vermaak.

At the Canadian she did get stretched by serve and volleyer Eva Pfaff. At the Flushing meadow Martina faced the likes of Louise Allen, Kate Gompart and Pilar Vasquez.

Other names she faced in 83 were Vicki Nelson, Wendy Prausa, Susan Leo, Heather Ludloff and Terry Phelps.

So folks take any of those mentioned players and dump them onto the circuit in 2008. Think any of those players will be playing the same as they are now?