PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most important Grand Slam?

chuvack
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Its time to have a fairly worded poll on this issue to see what people really think.

The AO is not included in the poll because this is really an issue to be decided between the "Big 3" Slams. But, anyone who really, truly believes that AO is the most important Slam can write it in their post and I will make a separate count of these "write-in" posts.

Interpret the word "important" any way you choose, however please to note that the poll question is not "Which is your favorite Grand Slam".

Tennisation
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM
again? how many grand slam threads do we need?

chuvack
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I don't believe that a properly worded poll has been done previosly. If there is already such a poll thread then bump it up and I delete this one.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Roland Garros

You have to be a spartan to win RG

Henpova
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I say the French since to is the hardest to win, I also think it not far to the Aussie fans to not put the AO in this poll.

Mina Vagante
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Easily Wimbledon

Wayn77
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM

:D :D

In 2007 - all FOUR Slams are of equal importance.

Tennis-Chick
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I chose Wimbledon of course, but really you should have put the AO in the poll :o

AcesHigh
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
You should have included AO

If the answer isn't that they're all equally important, it has to be Wimbledon.

die_wahrheit
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I chose Wimbledon of course, but really you should have put the AO in the poll :o

Or the China Open.
Because since every player, media, the whole world says, that Wimbledon is the most important, it makes sense to make a poll including some other tournaments.
Maybe the result is a surprise...

-VSR-
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Where the fuck is the Australian Open, what a retard to not put all four slams in a poll. :spit:

Anyway, to answer your question, Wimbledon obviously. It's the most prestigious and everyone wants to win Wimbledon.

debopero
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
They are all important.

miffedmax
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Wimbledon, like the Rose Bowl, is still the "Grandaddy of them all."

When they make a bad tennis flick, they don't call it "Melbourne" or "Flushing Meadow."

If you were to ask any fan in the street to name a tennis tournament, odds are (outside of Paris, New York or Melbourne) that person will say Wimbledon.

And really, ironically, it's that outsider perception that counts. I think among hardcore tennis fans and the players, all the Grand Slams are equally precious because each of them is so different. The grinding, unforgiving cruelty of the red clay, the wacky bounces and tradition of Wimbledon, the crowds and jets at the US Open, the heat of Melbourne--there's a reason we make a big deal when a player gets a career slam, let alone a Grand Slam.

Of course, all of this goes out the window if Lena D. wins a slam, because obviously it woud automatically be the best. ;)

chuvack
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Or the China Open.
Because since every player, media, the whole world says, that Wimbledon is the most important, it makes sense to make a poll including some other tournaments.
Maybe the result is a surprise...

thats funny, I don't remember hearing many players or media from Latin America and Spain saying that Wimbledon is most important tournament. It seems to me that they were all saying, that Roland Garros is most important tournament. But I guess you know better than all these professionals, right?

chuvack
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
When they make a bad tennis flick, they don't call it "Melbourne" or "Flushing Meadow."

If you were to ask any fan in the street to name a tennis tournament, odds are (outside of Paris, New York or Melbourne) that person will say Wimbledon.

And really, ironically, it's that outsider perception that counts. I think among hardcore tennis fans and the players, all the Grand Slams are equally precious because each of them is so different. The grinding, unforgiving cruelty of the red clay, the wacky bounces and tradition of Wimbledon, the crowds and jets at the US Open, the heat of Melbourne--there's a reason we make a big deal when a player gets a career slam, let alone a Grand Slam.

)

well, maybe if they would make the tennis flick about Roland Garros or Flushing Meadows, it wouldn't have turn out to be such a shitty movie.

Sefo
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Well, as probably many players (and fans) would say, right now the Australian Open is the most important.
And yea, only a stupid would not include all four Slams in the poll. :retard:

stickwitju(ju)
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM
The one played in the 16th Arrondissement. Europe is the center of the universe. D'oh.

:banana:

AcesHigh
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Of course, all of this goes out the window if Lena D. wins a slam, because obviously it woud automatically be the best. ;)

:worship:

chuvack
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Well, as probably many players (and fans) would say, right now the Australian Open is the most important.
And yea, only a stupid would not include all four Slams in the poll. :retard:

so far I heard a lot of people bitching and whining that AO is not in the poll, but not one of such people said yet that they believe AO is the most important Grand Slam...

Rod the Bama
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Wimbledon, mainly because of all the history and tradition there.

The Daviator
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Wimbledon, just so much more prestigious and grand than the others...

Lunaris
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:00 AM

I think you hitted the nail on its head here.
On the other hand I don't agree with the sentence in red. I believe most of the players have a GS which they prefer and would like to win the most.

VeeJJ
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Thats an ugly question because all the players have there own favrites, but for me, i would have to go by what i would wantto win and that would be........ The U.S. Open.

Xander
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:35 AM
All the Grand Slams are important to me. To the players that's probably a different story. In my opinion, I think it depends on the surface that the player learned the game on. For example, Arantxa, Conchita and Iva grew up on clay and dreamed about winning the French Open. Media coverage can give you a bias based on tradition but in my mind, the 4 Grand Slams are equal.

bie
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I think every slam has it's importance.
The players will want to win every one of them because of the recognition they are champions, because of the points gained and because of the money.

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
what about AO?????????? offesive

Miranda
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
say me old-fashioned, but for me, the most prestigous grand slam is and always will be wimby :cool:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
The AO is not included in the poll because this is really an issue to be decided between the "Big 3" Slams.

Not including AO in this poll = Great insult to all Aussie Tennis fans in WTAWorld :tape:

tilliii
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:53 AM
you only didn't include the aus open to piss people off. lame.

Dan23
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM
The are all of equal importance are they not? :confused: :unsure:

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:56 AM
aus open = to other 3. especially for australian players many (such as molik) i know would rather lift the daphne akhurst memorial trophy than win wimbledon

tonythetiger
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Everybody wants to win Wimbledon. Just ask Justine and Nadal. They will never be fully satisfied unless they catch the big fish regardless as to how many French Opens they win.

Paul.be
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM
For the:

Americans: US Open, Wimbledon
Britains: Wimbledon
French: Roland Garros
Spanish: Roland Garros
Australians: Australian Open, Wimbledon

Paul.be
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Everybody wants to win Wimbledon. Just ask Justine and Nadal. They will never be fully satisfied unless they catch the big fish regardless as to how many French Opens they win.

In Justine's case the reason is not because it's more important (we all know she prefers RG) but because it's missing in her collection.

vwfan
Nov 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Wimbledon. And my fav rules on it!:p

Avid Merrion
Nov 29th, 2007, 02:59 PM
*death*

time for a properly worded poll yet the thread starter can't even manage to include all the slams..... :weirdo:

chuvack
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
*death*

time for a properly worded poll yet the thread starter can't even manage to include all the slams..... :weirdo:

well, you know, I should have excluded the USO as well as AO, because for USO only 1 vote so far, this poll is obviously a 2-horse race. Or maybe I should included an option for "all slams equal" since many seem to support that option. Live and learn.

cypher_88
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM
AO, just because

cypher_88
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM

just like Federer wont be satisfied ;)

moon
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:48 PM
just like Federer wont be satisfied ;)

Not exactly....
of all the "greatest" players in the game, have ALL won Wimbledon. But not all have won the French Open. ;)

All Roger has to do is go higher than 14, and he will be considered the best. Whether he wins RG or not.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Obviously Wimbledon, but I voted for US Open since it has a longer history of prominence compared to Roland Garros. It's only been in the last 15 years that the French Open has become as prestigious as it is today. Looking at the history of prominence for each slam they would rank:
1.Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. French
3. Austalian

kiwifan
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:55 PM
no brainer...Wimby. :cool:

Henpova
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Most Top players want to win all four! Also for them the big fish was the French, not Wimbledon.