PDA

View Full Version : Yanina Wickmayer: The new Belgian Sharapova?

kaghat
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Dear Tennis Fans, Belgium is still busy to produce the best players in the world. For those who don't know, we have a new Belgian star rising. In one month she won 3 ITF tournament in Asia. She moved from the 331 in WTa ranking to 170. In Belgium we call already The Belgian Sharapova. Others they talk about the follower of Kim. Others talk about the power of Kim and the mental and the hard working of Justine... Good nieuws.... for us... belgians...!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lick: :lick:
http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2007/november/wickklim.jpghttp://www.rtbf.be/stellent/groups/jsp/documents/imagephototheque/106555.jpghttp://www.7sur7.be/static/FOTO/art/2/1/11/large_604810.jpghttp://us4.pixagogo.com/S56AdfX8gWqy3f9SLveDYTxUA0Uqrx5oy5kpDobs-YzcSjos5BEHLCYCZwwSy3hc8qZKt3TnK!WOt5mMrtTNwvkB9BO 2VvKISh/WICKMAYER.jpg

s_j
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
The Belgian Sharapova?... I'm saying nothing.

Tichi
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yanina said in an interview that top 20 would even too much to achieve. She would be happy to be in the top 100.

So Disrespectful
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Isn't Henin the Belgian Sharapova? :p

iPatty
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM
:tape: :tape: :tape:

She sucks. Winning Minnie Mouse tournaments in Asia means nothing.

Rosslyn
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Tamaryn Hendler is more promising

stefi62
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hendler and Wickmayer are two good promises, Belgium can be proud.
I saw Wickmayer play, and she really is powerful. Now let's hope she can be consistent on Wta Tour tournaments.

-sugi-
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I saw Wickmayer play Razzano at Antwerp this year and she is really good. She has a really powerful game :yeah:.

pigam
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I don't think so... she has very nice legs though ;)

Jakeev
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Regardless of what people have to say about this girl, it looks like Belgium will still be on the map even if Justine say leaves the game in two or three years.

Just not sure, however, if Belgium has another Kim or Justine like player to take over the helm as a Grand Slam champion.

martin white
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM
guess we will find out when she plays some stronger tournie's,she did well and won 3 weaker itf's in asia,id never heard of her before her efforts in asia.:lol:

Slumpsova
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
ewww why do you want her to be Sharapova? :help:

Jakeev
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:07 PM
guess we will find out when she plays some stronger tournie's,she did well and won 3 weaker itf's in asia,id never heard of her before her efforts in asia.:lol:

She actually won another challenger event in France earlier in the year. I think her win over Chan in Asia was her biggest to date. She also had a win over TianTian Sun in FedCup. The biggest surprise I think in Asia was her beating the younger Radwanska. I didn't expect that result.

kaghat
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
she did well and won 3 weaker itf's in asia,id never heard of her before her efforts in asia.:lol:

Have you ever heard about tournament: GELOS (FRANCE) GRENELEFFE (USA) AND RAMAT HASHARON (ISRAEL)?

This was the 3 ITF tournament Justine Wons in 1998 and in 1999 she won already tier II Tournanment of Antwerp. You have to start from somewhere. And then I can assure you that nobody knew about JUSTINE.

http://www.jrorangebowl.com/upload/rte/Justine_HeninFOR_WEBSITE.jpg

DaMamaJama87
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
By this age Sharapova had already won Wimbledon. 'nuff said.

Iceland
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Oh if winning an Asian ITF is enough to be the new Sharapova, it's good to know ^^.

Dan23
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM
http://us4.pixagogo.com/S56AdfX8gWqy3f9SLveDYTxUA0Uqrx5oy5kpDobs-YzcSjos5BEHLCYCZwwSy3hc8qZKt3TnK!WOt5mMrtTNwvkB9BO 2VvKISh/WICKMAYER.jpg
Shes using the old Prince Shark....theres a start :lol:

kaghat
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:54 PM
By this age Sharapova had already won Wimbledon. 'nuff said
Not everybody has the chance of sharapova to start early... But everybody has a chance to beat sharapova... very easily:secret: :clap2: :clap2: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hagar
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Isn't this girl already 18?
When Kim was 16, she played the 4rd round at Wimbledon. At 18, she was runner-up at Roland Garros.

So no, I don't buy it. This girl is not the new Kim.

No girl on the tour has been the new Kim so far. I haven't seen anyone who combined power and precision the way she did. Henin and Sharapova were around when Kim was on the tour. And neither Kuzzie, Ivanovic or Jankovic are yet as good as Kim was.

Sefo
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM
"I'm not the next anyone, I'm the first belgian Maria Sharapova". -ughhh, sounds bad. :( So no, she's not.

juki
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think its still too early to tell what level of success she will find on the WTA tour, but she was really impressive in her 5 Asian tournament, being a finalist and making the semis of the two tournaments that she didn't win. The tournaments she has a feedup for in Australia will show how competitive she can be at that level.

I hope the comparisons to Sharapova, or anyone else for that matter stop :rolleyes:

Yanina :yeah:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Not everybody has the chance of sharapova to start early... But everybody has a chance to beat sharapova... very easily:secret: :clap2: :clap2: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not as easily as beating this Wickmayer girl :tape: :tape:

Get over yourself, she's already 18 and stuck in bottom of the barrel Asian challengers. There are over a dozen players younger than her ranked ahead of her :tape: At least let her get to top 100 before calling her the next anything :help:

fred17
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
:tape: :tape: :tape:

She sucks. Winning Minnie Mouse tournaments in Asia means nothing.

thats the way the ivanovic career started some years ago!

jawadde
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Do they call her the new Sharapova in Belgium??
Well it's the first time I hear it and I live there :p

At her age and with her talent becoming the new Callens would be great

The new Appelmans excellent

The new Kim.. no way, never gonna happen

Paul.be
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM
To compare her with Masha would be like comparing her with Kim or Justine. I think you went a "little" overboard here. :rolleyes:

LDF
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The new Belgian Sharapova? :unsure:

dybbuk
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM
thats the way the ivanovic career started some years ago!

Ana was winning these little Japanese challengers at 15/16, not 18. ;)

Comparing her to Maria is overboard. Talented or not, at the same age Maria was a Slam champion and would be No.1 soon after. I agree that everyone has to start somewhere, but you should at least wait until she has won some matches at the WTA level before you start touting her as the new Maria/Kim/Justine/ect.

kaghat
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Do they call her the new Sharapova in Belgium??
Well it's the first time I hear it and I live there :p

At her age and with her talent becoming the new Callens would be great

The new Appelmans excellent

The new Kim.. no way, never gonna happen

You have to read more newspapers! Especially french speaking...

Matthias13
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Let's be realistic here: she will not reach the top 20 in her career. Maybe top 50, but she will certainly earn her place in the top 100. And if she can reach a couple of quarter- and semifinals in smaller WTA-tournaments, we should be proud of her. She really has the game and mental power to do it, but calling her the next Sharapova or Clijsters is rubbish. And just to make it perfectly clear: I'm still a loyal fan Yanina :D ;)

jawadde
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
You have to read more newspapers! Especially french speaking...

If it are that kind of newspapers that call her the new Sharapova or Kim, I really don't wanna read them :)

kaghat
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:04 PM
If it are that kind of newspapers that call her the new Sharapova or Kim, I really don't wanna read them :)

KIM IS THE PAST YANINA IS THE FUTURE

Pheobo
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
She's even more bizarre looking than Sharapova.

Oh, we're talking results? Yeah. That won't happen

Elwin.
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
:spit:

Yanina is good, but calling her the new sharapova :shrug:

Viktymise
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Comparing her to Sharapova is a tad random.

I doubt the majority people in this thread who have said she sucks have seen her play :tape: From what i saw, she definatley has top 50 potential.

lee station
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
buy them some brews

mashamaniac
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:17 PM
it's funny to compare every newcomer with maria!!! she's been the one and no-one will be like her in no way!!!

Uranus
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ehm, she was never called "The new Belgian Sharapova". Belgian media insists on the fact she's not a new Kim/Justine. Yanina wants to become a regular top 100 player, I think she can. :yeah: Top 30 would be great. :)

Btw, Justine won Antwerp in 1999, but it wasn't Tier II at all ^^.

jawadde
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM

:)

DaMamaJama87
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Well if Yanina gets even 1/10 of Kim's success I'll eat my hat.

arn
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
The current belgians have a serious legacy, always being compared to Justine and Kim. Let them just try to be the best they can be, and for Yanina that's far from being the next Sharapova. You don't have to know much about tennis to figure that out! I will be very glad if Yanina becomes a steady top-100 player. Let's see where she ends up after that, around top-20 (at max) is already great and far above what I expect from Yanina :)

Tennisation
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM
although I have no clue who she is but already i don't like the name Yanina Wickmayer :lol: It's such an ugly name & doesn't have the star power quality & elegance, so no I'd say she's not the next big thing from Belgium.

kaghat
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM
although I have no clue who she is but already i don't like the name Yanina Wickmayer :lol: It's such an ugly name & doesn't have the star power quality & elegance, so no I'd say she's not the next big thing from Belgium.

Do you find names like radwanska, henin, clijsters have the star power quality and elegance before the results and the repeat of their names everyday in the newspapers make them soud like power quality and elegance names? non sense what you say. Your game and your results and the quality of your game make a name and not a name which make a star... :tape:

Pasta-Na
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:35 AM
She actually won another challenger event in France earlier in the year. I think her win over Chan in Asia was her biggest to date. She also had a win over TianTian Sun in FedCup. The biggest surprise I think in Asia was her beating the younger Radwanska. I didn't expect that result.

i think it was yan zi :shrug:

Pasta-Na
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:37 AM
honestly, she is not very beautiful...

bie
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:49 AM
We're a very small country with aproximatly 10.500.000 inhabitants and we are blessed with two number one players.
In the next years to come it will be very hard to produce such a champion again.
I will be glad if one day someone new comes around but it will defenitly not be in the near future.
Yanina will hopefully be a good top 100 player, maybe top 50 and that's OK by me.

Pasta-Na
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM
We're a very small country with aproximatly 10.500.000 inhabitants and we are blessed with two number one players.
In the next years to come it will be very hard to produce such a champion again.
I will be glad if one day someone new comes around but it will defenitly not be in the near future.
Yanina will hopefully be a good top 100 player, maybe top 50 and that's OK by me.

and blessed with chocolate and beer :lol: :haha:

bie
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM
and blessed with chocolate and beer :lol: :haha:

Yes indeed but there is even more... belgian wafers, brussels sprouts and so on... :bounce:
As for tennis we have a few top 100 men too. ;)

kaghat
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Yes indeed but there is even more... belgian wafers, brussels sprouts and so on...

And the political problems... Hmmm delicious! Yanina should choose maybe for which country she should play!

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Dont think so...

Wiggly
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Wimbledon vs ITFs in Asia. Ok.

doni1212
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
By this age Sharapova had already won Wimbledon. 'nuff said.

Wouldn't want to see Wickmayer when she is "20" then, right? :tape: :lol:

kaghat
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Justine cannot be replaced anyway... sharapova why not... there are sharapovas in every street in Russia... The difference? They go to school instead of playing... (Tennis :lol: )

Derek.
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
:spit:

She's not even that good. :shrug:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Wouldn't want to see Wickmayer when she is "20" then, right? :tape: :lol:

What?

WIMBLY2004
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Justine cannot be replaced anyway... sharapova why not... there are sharapovas in every street in Russia... The difference? They go to school instead of playing... (Tennis :lol: )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you think Russian are full of girls that are talented to be multiple tennis winner as long as they decide to pick up the tennis racket, while at the same time, Belgium can have one and only one that is able do that now and the future? Wow, I didn't know you think that high of Russian girls tennis wise, and looks like you don't really have confidence in your country's tennis future:lol:

kaghat
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:01 AM
So you think Russian are full of girls that are talented to be multiple tennis winner as long as they decide to pick up the tennis racket, while at the same time, Belgium can have one and only one that is able do that now and the future? Wow, I didn't know you think that high of Russian girls tennis wise, and looks like you don't really have confidence in your country's tennis future:lol:

This is not what i ment... I mean Beautiful girls like sharapova are enough in Russia... Because for me Sharapova is a Beauty who plays Tennis when she has time... and not a professional... She is more in the studios of the magazine than in tennis courts... And may be (why not) there is more talented woman in Russia than she is! Sharapova will never be Graf for Germany, Seles for former Yougoslavia, Sabatini for argentina, Chris evert for USA..... Justine for Belgium :wavey:

DimaDinosaur
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Sharapova is cool. Justine is cool.

WIMBLY2004
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
This is not what i ment... I mean Beautiful girls like sharapova are enough in Russia... Because for me Sharapova is a Beauty who plays Tennis when she has time... and not a professional... She is more in the studios of the magazine than in tennis courts... And may be (why not) there is more talented woman in Russia than she is! Sharapova will never be Graf for Germany, Seles for former Yougoslavia, Sabatini for argentina, Chris evert for USA..... Justine for Belgium :wavey:

So, a beauty who plays tennis when she has time (or a non-professional as you said) won 2 slams before 20, not bad:lol: Actually I feel really sorry for so many of those "professionals" now, poor Kim, she can't even win more slams than the non-professional:sad:

WIMBLY2004
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Actually come to think of it, Justine had worse achievement than the non-professional when she was 20, and believe it or not, she lost to this non-professional in a slam final, maybe you should re-assess Justine's tennis ability now.

(no offense to other rational Justine fans, I actually like Justine and respect her, I just find this guy's logic funny)

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
ROFLMAO! am I being punked right?

kaghat
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Actually come to think of it, Justine had worse achievement than the non-professional when she was 20, and believe it or not, she lost to this non-professional in a slam final, maybe you should re-assess Justine's tennis ability now.

(no offense to other rational Justine fans, I actually like Justine and respect her, I just find this guy's logic funny)

I consider myself a rational Justine fan, So I apologize for what I said. I think Justine has respect for all her opponents, I have to be so as well. Sorry guys!!!

Brαm
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Have you ever heard about tournament: GELOS (FRANCE) GRENELEFFE (USA) AND RAMAT HASHARON (ISRAEL)?

This was the 3 ITF tournament Justine Wons in 1998 and in 1999 she won already tier II Tournanment of Antwerp. Justine won a Tier IV on clay in Antwerp, not the Tier II indoors tournament.

Brαm
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
I really don't like how the thread starter calls her the Belgian Sharapova. The only thing they have in common is that they are tall and slim :shrug:

There's no need to compare Yanina to Maria, Kim or Justine. They were all head and shoulders above the others from the beginning of their careers.

I just hope that Yanina will work hard to reach top-100 and maybe top-50 (or top-30 for that matter) one day :)

Carsten
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
I've seen her alreafy.. she isn't bad but definitely not Top 10-material ;)