PDA

View Full Version : What happens when your fav player retires?

bie
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
If your answer is :Something else.. please explain. :kiss:

Medina
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I would be really sad.. And look on to my other favourites.. :) .. But they will always be number 1 to me

justine schnyder
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I don't know.. Unfortunatly I think one of them wil retire soon (Guess who)
I'll be very sad.. I'll have others fave players, but she'll remain no.1 for me :hearts:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Well, I still have 3 younglings to support on (see my sig).. so it ain't the end of tennis for me. ;)

But yeah, I'll feel extremly sad should my fave retires... :sad:

esquímaux
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Well you can pretty much stick a fork in Rubin, but she'll always be my numero uno :hatoff: What can you do besides hang on to the memories :hearts: Now when Mauresmo calls it quits I'll probably run into oncoming traffic :lol:

Dor Y
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I'll still be interested, I just look out for a new new player to become my fav!

Boreas
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
My fav player retired a few years ago, so those in my signature are just players I like

daniela86
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
My fav player retired a few years ago, so those in my signature are just players I like

Who was your fave? :)

I will be a bit sad when Masha retires but I guess I will keep following tennis as it's my fave sport and support other players I like. :D

Boreas
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Who was your fave? :)

I will be a bit sad when Masha retires but I guess I will keep following tennis as it's my fave sport and support other players I like. :D

Maja Matevžič- and she was only 23, and she got injured at the end of her best season:sad:

LegionArgentina
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Tell me about it!
Paola Suarez had retire this year :subbing: and Mariana Diaz Oliva retired in the 2005.Other fav that have retired are Sandrine Testud/Amanda Coetzer/Anke Huber and a few more like Hingis/Rubin

Now I have Clarisa Fernandez (yes the injurys queen in WTA)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I will be very upset but will continue to follow because I have other favourites!

bie
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Tell me about it!
Paola Suarez had retire this year :subbing: and Mariana Diaz Oliva retired in the 2005.Other fav that have retired are Sandrine Testud/Amanda Coetzer/Anke Huber and a few more like Hingis/Rubin

Now I have Clarisa Fernandez (yes the injurys queen in WTA)

That really sucks. http://209.85.12.232/4211/26/emo/troost1.gif

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Well in terms of being a tennis fan I am certainly not a monogomous fan. So it certainly isn't a case with me that I have my one favorite and when she retires I find another favorite. I have several favorites, always have.

Of course there is always one player I like above all others but that position can fluctuate. Nastya Myskina was my top fave for like half a dozen years but in my mind she is already gone. I miss her a lot. But even before she dissapeared there were already several other players to pick up the slack. And right now even though most of my current faves are quite young and still in the early part of careers that I know I will continue to support as long as they keep playing that doesn't mean I don't continue to keep an eye out for additional players to support.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I guess I'll be here for probably another 5 years at least.:p

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
i'll still have ana :)

Henpova
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Maria will become my new number one, and I will always love Juju for what she did.

Henpova
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Well, I still have 3 younglings to support on (see my sig).. so it ain't the end of tennis for me. ;)

But yeah, I'll feel extremly sad should my fave retires... :sad:

I only see two young ones. Juju and Dani are 25 and 24.

Highlandman
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I don't want to think about it yet, but I think it would be very emotional if I hear someday the headline "Venus Williams retires" :sobbing: :sobbing: Also if it's when I'm over 20 or so, I think tons of tears would leave my eyes ;)

But Venus is and will be #1 forever and always, it won't change, never, definitely.

I would have other faves for sure, other faves I support a lot, but it's still something different to Venus, who I support since I'm a little boy (1997) :sad:

miffedmax
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM
My interest level will drop significantly for a while. Then I'll find a new player to follow.

I haven't been as passionate about any woman player since the days of Martina Navratilova as I have about Lena. So while my interest in tennis in general will recover, I don't know if or when I'll be as involved as I am now.

laurie
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Well my favourite player stopped playing five years ago - Pete Sampras and mens Tennis for me has never been quite the same since. Having said that 1990 - 2000 is probably my generation. I also liked Edberg, Becker, Lendl, Krajicek, Goran, Kuerten.

My favourite female players were definitely Monica Seles, I also liked Capriati, Novotna, Mary Pierce and Conchita Martinez.

Hopefully my two favourite women players now, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Amelie Mauresmo have a few years left in them.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
you just get on with things and find someone else, no point in moping around.

its just like when you split with your gf/bf....... find someone new.

shirley
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'll still be interested, I just look out for a new new player to become my fav

LudwigDvorak
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
My interest level will drop significantly for a while. Then I'll find a new player to follow.

I haven't been as passionate about any woman player since the days of Martina Navratilova as I have about Lena. So while my interest in tennis in general will recover, I don't know if or when I'll be as involved as I am now.

Elena will always be my favorite player (I think :unsure: ), even when she's gone. No one else has come close in tennis to making me feel what she has, aside from a few male players, and even there nowhere near as consistently often as she.

I'll have other favorites that I'll cling onto, but I'll always be the Tournament Manager aboard the SS Dementieva, even when she's sunk and in the bottom of the ocean. Although most of my other favorites are getting up there in age...

I wouldn't be surprised if I just stopped caring about the current crop of tennis once the ladies in my signature are gone, although I really like Tamira and Azarenka and Richard. I'm just not sure they can fill the void.

-sugi-
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM
When my very favourite, Asagoe retired last year I still followed tennis but after Antwerp this year, Erika Takao replaced her. :hug: and is my new favourite with Ai and the others.

Michael!
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
My fav player was Anke Huber, and now it is Venus, but if Vee retires :sobbing:
It would be so sad, and tennis wouldn´t be the same as it was :sad:
But German girls are always here :woohoo:

Wayn77
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM
My god, we have had two sets of major fan-base orphans in the past year - Kim and now Martina.

Who are these loyal lot gonna be rooting for next year?

First and foremost I love the sport. I started with Graf and Kuerton as my favs, they retire - new ones always come along. If my favs ain't playing, I just wanna see great tennis.

IceHock
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I'll definitely be really sad, because noone replaces your number 1 fave. Hopefully someone else would come along that I really like.

roelc
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM
kim will always be nr1 but now I follow daniela more closely

dybbuk
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Well, I already thought she did once. It was an awful feeling, I never completely got over it, but I went on. :shrug: While I love Lindsay, she does not make or break my interest in tennis.

Demska
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM
In the words of @sweet cleopatra

"I may kill myself"

Volcana
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I've only ever had four favorite players. Arthur Ashe, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova and Venus. Only three of them ever retired, and the circumstances were so different. Arthur was/is an icon. When he retired, there was a palpable sense of role model to him. He lived the way I wanted to, with grace and class. BJK didn't so much retire as devote more energy to women's rights, and less to tennis. She was never gone. Nav has retired seven or eight times. By now, I just figure it means she wnats to spend some time with a new lover. She's STILL good enough to win GS doubles or mixed.

When Venus retires, I'll probably stop watching tennis for a little while. Not forever. Just long enough to get over her moving on to the rest of her life.

LDF
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Initially, when the news of Lindsay's pregnancy came through, I had mixed emotions - I was happy she was having a baby, but upset that I wouldn't see her on court again. The latter feeling was the one that took over for the first few days/weeks though, especially when it came to the Australian Open. I did my best to move on and focused on supporting other players instead (Maria in particular).

However, I can't see any current player filling the void when Lindsay actually does retire (whenever that is - you never know with the woman :o :lol: ).

Tennisation
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
retire from a match or from tennis career? Cuz baby Lexi Stevenson had my heart broken so many times, oh baby boo whyyyyyy:bigcry:

bie
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
retire from a match or from tennis career? Cuz baby Lexi Stevenson had my heart broken so many times, oh baby boo whyyyyyy:bigcry:

From a tennis career ;)

frenchie
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'll always stay tuned because I love tennis.

I'll replace my nr1 fave (Myskina) with my nr2 fave (Anna C) which is very soon unfortunately!!

AJZ.
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I'll be sad, it won't be the same; but I do like a few other players a lot so it's not so bad...
But Ai is above & beyond for me.

miffedmax
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I'll always stay tuned because I love tennis.

I'll replace my nr1 fave (Myskina) with my nr2 fave (Anna C) which is very soon unfortunately!!

As Thomas Jefferson said of Ben Franklin, no one can replace our dear Nastya. They can merely succeed her.

Anna C is probably my fave-in-waiting right now. But the gap between her and Lena is immense.

Zehri98
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Watching Mary at the Aus Open in 95 was the reason I became kinda obsessed with tennis although before that I also always loved Martina Navratilova and Monica Seles.

Mary has been on and off for the last decade due to various injuries so I kinda know what it will be like when she actually retires, I'll still watch every tournament and GS as normal, mainly hoping that someone knocks out Justine (coz I gotta hate on someone). Now when she retires, then I'll jack it in!

lee station
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM
(quoting them)
marriage.

LoveFifteen
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I will stay tuned because I love tennis, but I will always miss Martina Hingis. :sobbing:

The Daviator
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:35 PM
As Thomas Jefferson said of Ben Franklin, no one can replace our dear Nastya. They can merely succeed her.

Anna C is probably my fave-in-waiting right now. But the gap between her and Lena is immense.

:haha: Sorry, I found this sentence so hilarious :lol:

I will stay tuned because I love tennis, but I will always miss Martina Hingis. :sobbing:

:hug: There's always Justine :D

stefi62
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'll be sad and it will never be the same again after Mary retires.
But as she'll probably stay in tennis, and as I have other favs, I'll stay tuned.

*W*
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM
That's the end for me, I give up!

The Daviator
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Regarding the topic, Lindsay fans are in a funny position, and I guess Hingis fans too, because we were convinced she was gone for good, and were forced to move on, I supported Serena #1, but of course now Lindsay is back :hearts: I don't have to worry about it for a while at least ;) Ivanovic is young, so I'll always have a big fave for some time to come no matter what happens :)

Filippo-Nastya
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Regarding the topic, Lindsay fans are in a funny position, and I guess Hingis fans too, because we were convinced she was gone for good, and were forced to move on, I supported Serena #1, but of course now Lindsay is back :hearts: I don't have to worry about it for a while at least ;) Ivanovic is young, so I'll always have a big fave for some time to come no matter what happens :)

I know what you mean, but I think Hingis fans are not in a funny position anymore. ;)

MatchpointPRT
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I try to know more about other players to try to have some interest in one of them, and i also keep doing that because i really like tennis, but i think the first favourite is going to be favourite for ever. Martina retired one time and she still was my favourite one she came back and now she still is my favourite and others that are 2nd favourites that i don´t know if i ever will replace them like Seles, Davenport, Coetzer,Dokic.

The Daviator
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I know what you mean, but I think Hingis fans are not in a funny position anymore. ;)

Well I was referring to her 1st retirement ;) Current situation is not funny at all :tape:

new-york
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
i'll probably never be as involved as i am with Venus active, but i'll certainly continue to follow the tour.

LindsayRulz
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'll always stay tuned because I love tennis, and I love this forum. We, Lindsay fans, have had a preview this year of what it looks like and it's sure not the same without your fave.

gorecki
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
it has happened more than a couple of times already :awww:...but i still get some info about them, thanks to some of you guys on wtaworld.
i still watch the tour [and play whenever i can :o] coz i love the game :tennis: :bounce:

bie
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:39 AM
82 votes up until now and it"s nice to see that most of you are into tennis, from nearby or from a distance . http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/ok2.gif

Sadly 8 call it a day. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/cry.gif

Not sure what the other 2 mean by something else, though. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/hmm.gif

Brooks.
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Serena will always be my number 1 ...so there's no replacing her..she's one of a kind

but I'll find other players to root for when Venus & Serena retire

sadly it won't be the same but oh well

switz
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM
i will no longer worship the devil :tape:

Xander
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM
When Martina retired the first time, my answer was "I'll follow the competition but from a distance." Now that she's gone, it's a little bit of "I'll follow the competition but from a distance." but I'm trying to be more like "I'll still be interested, I just look out for a new new player to become my fav". Maybe Golovin? :)

Sharakim
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM
No one will replace Maria Sharapova for me. No one can replace her, not in WTA and certainly not in ATP. When she leaves I'll continue to follow the sport and some new players that I like but it won't be the same without my all time fav in the mix.

To answer your poll, I'd follow tennis from a distance and causally support other players that I like.

williams.i.am
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
when venus and serena retire tennis is a wrap for me. they are what got me into tennis so when they go i go. :lol:

ASV_FAN
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM
For me, tennis has never held the same significance or excitement since Arantxa retired. When my close second Jennifer followed (call it retirement or whatever but she ain't here) and then Monica my interest really waned. I keep an eye on the action but my days of watching non grand slams are long over, and even then I tend to only bother with the later rounds apart from Wimbledon.

Pasta-Na
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:42 PM
will change my username from super_na to be super_man :D