PDA

View Full Version : Henin's Great Year because...

urklerlay
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM
No doubt about it...Justine had a great 07 topped off with winning every match since her loss to Bartoli at Wimbledon.

I was reading Roelc's poll on the "most touching moment of the year" and watched the video of Kim's farewell at Antwrep, it made me realize how loved Kim was in her home country. But it also made me wonder if Justine would have had such a good year if fellow Belgian Kim was still playing? No more pressure, right?

Or maybe not?

Ksenia.
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
She's great not b/c of divorce or Kim's retirement or whatever. She's just great.

Vlad Tepes
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Kim was a very good player and she would have been a very tough opponent (if her mind was on the game). It definitely helps when another top player retires, but it's not like Justine had cakewalk draws and that any of her 10 titles are a fluke. Remember, she only plays tier II and above and with her form this year, I doubt Kim would have stopped her, maybe Justine would have 1 less title or something like that, nothing major.

I'm not going to comment on the other point, as I know nothing about it, but surely going through a divorce and missing the first GS was no blessing, with all the emotional turmoil that she experienced.

Drake1980
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM
She is good, that's why!

No Name Face
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Kim wouldn't have defeated her once this year. Justine was the way better player since the beginning of 2006.
There was a time where I preferred Kim to Justine, but in my mind, Justine was always the better player.

roelc
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
this has nothing to do with kim!
divorce + bonding with her family will certainly have influenced her
one thing that we can clearly put is that because of her divorce (and not playing the beginning of the year) she was able to compete a whole year on top level, also at the end of the season (where other players started to get injured and tired)

harloo
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I actually felt Kim was a better player than Justine but mentally is where it counts in tennis and Kim couldn't hold it together during big matches.

thrust
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM
No serious injuries, good health, smart scheduling-except for Eastbourne-lol!! Hopefully, she will stay healthy next season.

justine schnyder
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I think Kim has nothing to do with Justine's year.. 2006 was great for Justine and Kim was very much around.
I say it's because she dumped her gay husband :devil:

Ninny
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
What's their H2H? Anyone know please?

Out of interest, what pressure do you think she was under with regard to Kim?

serena_venus4eva
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
what does kim have to do with it?? why not that amelie, maria,etc were playing terribly also?

Natalicious
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
the 2 players who were equal with her in 2006 sharapova & mauresmo had a sucky year i think its because lack of competitive players

DaMamaJama87
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I actually felt Kim was a better player than Justine but mentally is where it counts in tennis and Kim couldn't hold it together during big matches.

Kim really could've had a great career. She was the better of the two every year from 1999 to 2002. 2003 was close and both were injured in 2004. Kim was again better in 2005. Justine was only definitely better in 2006.

Mercury Rising
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Kim really could've had a great career. She was the better of the two every year from 1999 to 2002. 2003 was close and both were injured in 2004. Kim was again better in 2005. Justine was only definitely better in 2006.
ok....lol

weird people here :unsure:

fatty sausage
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Justine's mind is free now that she is the top dog in Belgium. I mean what a burden to be the best player in the world, but not the most popular even in your own country. Getting rid of the dead weight husband I'm sure helped too.

All that said, Justine still would have had a killer year.

Direwolf
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
not to downgrade juju or anything..
but i feel that she thinks that the whole burden is on her now..
evry belgian is focus on her now..
and that she has to do better evry round..

Keaka
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I agree with people saying she's better now that Kim is gone from the WTA.She feels free as the #1 belgian by a big distance and she feels good.

She got better also because she has divorced her husband- she could only concentrate on tennis after, not worrying about other boyfriends that her husband had :tape:. Also I think she's just one of those who are strong and are getting better after something bad happens to them, they are just keep getting stronger. And she kept getting stronger and there she is.

Ninny
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
:lol: @ some of the answers especially the one stating that she is not popular in her own country.

Did you not see or know about the two and a half hour TV programme dedicated to Justine that Belgium put on for her? Did you not know that that programme was the highest rating programme for the TV Station RTL this year?

RECORD AUDIENCE FOR JUSTINE
http://www.dhnet.be/culture/television/article/190725/record-d-audience-pour-justine.html

I guess some people love living in the past :rolleyes:

fatty sausage
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think anyone is saying she wasn't popular, just not as popular as Kim, WHEN Kim was still playing. Of course Justine is now the most popular ACTIVE player in her country.

Who else is RTL going to run a program on? Flipkens?

btw- Justine looked great in those screen shots of the TV Program.

:lol: @ some of the answers especially the one stating that she is not popular in her own country.

Did you not see or know about the two and a half hour TV programme dedicated to Justine that Belgium put on for her? Did you not know that that programme was the highest rating programme for the TV Station RTL this year?

RECORD AUDIENCE FOR JUSTINE
http://www.dhnet.be/culture/television/article/190725/record-d-audience-pour-justine.html

I guess some people love living in the past :rolleyes:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
ok....lol

What was so weird about my post? :)

Paul.be
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:10 PM
What was so weird about my post? :)

You cannot be serious!

Matt01
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM
the 2 players who were equal with her in 2006 sharapova & mauresmo had a sucky year i think its because lack of competitive players

Yeah, and combine that with her numerous lucky shots and we have the real reasons why Henin was able to have a great year ;)

Ninny
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM
ok....lol

:lol: tell me about it!

DaMamaJama87
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
You cannot be serious!

About what? Everything in my post checks out hon :kiss:

Paul.be
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
About what? Everything in my post checks out hon :kiss:

From their junior years till 2001, Justine had the upper hand. Kim wasn't even regarded a threat. In Belgium Justine was always regarded as the bigger talent.
From 2001 till the spring of 2003, Kim overtook Justine. A lot of the mental frailty stories date from that period. For the all-Belgian French Open semi-final of 2001 Justine was the favourite, especially on clay, but couldn't deliver the goods. During this period Kim was the nemesis of Justine.
The turning point was the 2003 Berlin final. Justine finally got it together and beat Kim. She had an exceptional clay season and went on to win the French Open (again beating Kim in the final). Since then Kim managed to win only 3 matches and never the big ones (US Open, Aussie Open).

Sincerely yours

LindsayRulz
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Justine still would have had a dominant year whether or not Kim was still playing.

Vlad Tepes
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM

How come Justine is way ahead in every stats department if Kim was better all these years? :rolleyes:

Paul.be
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
How come Justine is way ahead in every stats department if Kim was better all these years? :rolleyes:

I tried to explain it a couple posts back.

fatty sausage
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:46 PM
but before Kim retired, was Kim or Justine more popular with the Belgian fans? Seems as though Kim was more popular with the general tennis media.

I would definitely say that Justine was always the better player, but would it not lurk in the back of her mind that even though she was better, she was not better liked? And wouldn't that in some small way affect your frame of mind?

Not really saying yes or no, just asking.

I tried to explain it a couple posts back.

Paul.be
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
but before Kim retired, was Kim or Justine more popular with the Belgian fans? Seems as though Kim was more popular with the general tennis media.

I would definitely say that Justine was always the better player, but would it not lurk in the back of her mind that even though she was better, she was not better liked? And wouldn't that in some small way affect your frame of mind?

Not really saying yes or no, just asking.

Well that's difficult to explain if you're not Belgian. As you may know Belgium is divided in a dutch speaking part (Flanders), and a french speaking part (Wallonia). Between those two communities there's a lot of friction (For the moment they even don't have a federal government after 170 days of negotiations). So Kim came from Flanders and Justine from Wallonia. Flanders was pro Kim and Wallonie was pro Justine. This divide was also much hyped and almost encouraged by the Belgian media. As the majority in Belgium is Flemish, Kim had the largest fanbase. And to be honest more Walloons rooted for Kim than Flemish for Justine when they had to play each other. Kim had that sunny, bubbling disposition. But playing against someone else I think almost all Belgians, Flemish and Walloon, rooted for their at that moment "Belgian" and not "Flemish" Kim or "Walloon" Justine.

I Hope this answers your question.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:55 AM

Well yeah... she was. Kim was the "likeable" one because of her appearence and bubbly personality. Her relationship with Hewitt also have contributed to her popularity, even namming her "Aussie Kim". Then as the years go by, when Justine started winning Slams, the media shifts their focus to her as she was regarded as "the next big thing", while Kim slowly fades away from their eyes. You know how fickle-minded the media are - when you are successful, everyone wants a piece of you. :lol:

That's what I perceived from years of observation about Belgium tennis, but since I'm not from Belgium, I might be wrong. Anyone from Belgium - was what I type above correct?

AcesHigh
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Look at the H2H between Kim and Justine and you will get your answer.

No, Kim couldnt defeat Justine in a big moment even on her best day and Justine's worst.. she'd end up choking it away somehow sadly.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:59 AM
^^^
Aces, there's nothing on your post...?

fatty sausage
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
winning doesn't always translate into popularity. ie: Lendl

Look at the H2H between Kim and Justine and you will get your answer.

No, Kim couldnt defeat Justine in a big moment even on her best day and Justine's worst.. she'd end up choking it away somehow sadly.

Paul.be
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well yeah... she was. Kim was the "likeable" one because of her appearence and bubbly personality. Her relationship with Hewitt also have contributed to her popularity, even namming her "Aussie Kim". Then as the years go by, when Justine started winning Slams, the media shifts their focus to her as she was regarded as "the next big thing", while Kim slowly fades away from their eyes. You know how fickle-minded the media are - when you are successful, everyone wants a piece of you. :lol:

That's what I perceived from years of observation about Belgium tennis, but since I'm not from Belgium, I might be wrong. Anyone from Belgium - was what I type above correct?

Well that's difficult to explain if you're not Belgian. As you may know Belgium is divided in a dutch speaking part (Flanders), and a french speaking part (Wallonia). Between those two communities there's a lot of friction (For the moment they even don't have a federal government after 170 days of negotiations). So Kim came from Flanders and Justine from Wallonia. Flanders was pro Kim and Wallonie was pro Justine. This divide was also much hyped and almost encouraged by the Belgian media. As the majority in Belgium is Flemish, Kim had the largest fanbase. And to be honest more Walloons rooted for Kim than Flemish for Justine when they had to play each other. Kim had that sunny, bubbling disposition. But playing against someone else I think almost all Belgians, Flemish and Walloon, rooted for their at that moment "Belgian" and not "Flemish" Kim or "Walloon" Justine.

bie
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Accurate explanation... :worship:
First of all I am dutch (flemish) speaking.
It's true that Kim was miss sunshine (and still is) and very popular in the dutch speaking part.
When she played I to supported her EXCEPT when she played Justine because I strongly believe she is the BEST player around!
Also, I appreciate Justine's playstyle far more, but that's personal taste.
I never let myself get involved in the media hype.
Kim supporters, no offence meant. ;) :wavey:

Harvs
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM
hwo about shes by far the best players int he world atm... nothign less

Ninny
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM
...;12047003']hwo about shes by far the best players int he world atm... nothign less

No. That's too hard for some people to accept. There has to be a reason for it :rolleyes:

Helaena
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
No. That's too hard for some people to accept. There has to be a reason for it :rolleyes:

so true! ;)

KennyChante4ever
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM
IMO, Kim wasn't a factor in Justine's success this year. Justine would've played well regardless. She just was focused and deserved all the good things that happened to her this year. :)

Forehand_Volley
Nov 29th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Kim was never a serious threat to Henin historically in the grand slam events after Henin beat her at the '03 French Open and '04 Australian Open. To go a step further, Kim was never a threat to Henin from a career standpoint either. So to answer the question, Kim's retirement had absolutely ZERO effect on Justine having a great 2007.

I think Henin's split early in the year with her husband and her subsequent reunion with her family were the two motivating factors. I think these two factors freed her mentally to refocus on her tennis and proved to herself that she could still raise her level of game anywhere on earth.

plantman
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Kim was never a serious threat to Henin historically in the grand slam events after Henin beat her at the '03 French Open and '04 Australian Open. To go a step further, Kim was never a threat to Henin from a career standpoint either. So to answer the question, Kim's retirement had absolutely ZERO effect on Justine having a great 2007.

I think Henin's split early in the year with her husband and her subsequent reunion with her family were the two motivating factors. I think these two factors freed her mentally to refocus on her tennis and proved to herself that she could still raise her level of game anywhere on earth.
:yeah:

AcesHigh
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM
winning doesn't always translate into popularity. ie: Lendl

Yea, my post messed up for some reason.

Anyway, I think Justine is strong enough mentally to not let Kim affect her off the court or on the court.

Winning is what counts.. I'm sure popularity does not even come second.

Also, winning often does bring popularity. Look at how many fans Henin gained this year.

If anything, Kim would have benefited from Justine retiring.

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Kim was only better in 2001 and 2002. Even 2001 is debatable. 2003: Justine had 2 slams, Kim had 0. In 2004: Justine had 1 slam and the Olympics, Kim had like 2 titles. In 2005, I'll give to Kim, though she did play a much longer schedule when Justine essentially just played the clay season. In 2006 and 2007, it's not even a discussion. So the only year in which Kim can have a legitimate and irrefutable claim to having had a better year than Justine was 2002. 2001 and 2005 can really go either way. And the others: no question.

kaghat
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
BECAUSE SHE IS A CHAMPION

http://www.mcits.be/justine.jpg

jujufreak
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM
So the only year in which Kim can have a legitimate and irrefutable claim to having had a better year than Justine was 2002.

and only because she won the Masters...

because Justine did better at the GS level: SF Wimbledon, QF Australian Open, 4r US Open and 1r French Open against Clijsters' SF Australian Open, 4r US Open, 3r French Open and 2r Wimbledon.

they had fairly equal results during the spring on hardcourt, Justine had a better claycourt season and a better grass season, Kim was only a bit better during the American summer on hardcourt and indoors.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Kim was only better in 2001 and 2002. Even 2001 is debatable. 2003: Justine had 2 slams, Kim had 0. In 2004: Justine had 1 slam and the Olympics, Kim had like 2 titles. In 2005, I'll give to Kim, though she did play a much longer schedule when Justine essentially just played the clay season. In 2006 and 2007, it's not even a discussion. So the only year in which Kim can have a legitimate and irrefutable claim to having had a better year than Justine was 2002. 2001 and 2005 can really go either way. And the others: no question.

1999-2000 - Kim was much more successful than Justine. Had a high profile match against Steffi at Wimbledon after reaching the 4th round at 16 years old. Took the US Open winner Serena to 3 tight sets too (basically gave her the her toughest match in that tournament which is saying a lot). Was already well known in the public as Lleyton's girlfriend and played mixed doubles with him and had a high profile. Justine was unknown, only briefly mentioned for choking against Lindsay at the French Open 2nd round.
2001 - Kim finished the year ranked higher, beat Justine in the big matches and also was the first one to make a GS final. Kim was definitely better then.
2002 - Kim won all the important matches and won the YEC
2003 - Yes Justine won 2 slams but Kim was the finalist in both and won the YEC and she became the first player to dislodge Serena from the no.1 spot and kept the ranking until the end of the year. Kim also won 9 singles and many doubles tournaments and broke the record for most prizemoney in a year (a record which would not be broken until this year). So I can see the argument for saying Justine had the better year but it's not as cut and dry as you would like to believe.
2004 - Kim basically didn't play after the early clay season, not a fair comparison for either player
2005 - You're forgetting that Justine did play Toronto and US Open that year. But this was Kim's year.
2006 - Justine won all the important matches, she was better for sure.

Like I said, for the majority of 1999-2006, Kim was better. Out of those seven years, even if I'm being absolutely generous I can only say that Justine was better for 3 of those years (2006 and possibly 2003 and in the extreme case I'll concede 2004)

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM
1999-2000 - Kim was much more successful than Justine. Had a high profile match against Steffi at Wimbledon after reaching the 4th round at 16 years old. Took the US Open winner Serena to 3 tight sets too (basically gave her the her toughest match in that tournament which is saying a lot). Was already well known in the public as Lleyton's girlfriend and played mixed doubles with him and had a high profile. Justine was unknown, only briefly mentioned for choking against Lindsay at the French Open 2nd round.
2001 - Kim finished the year ranked higher, beat Justine in the big matches and also was the first one to make a GS final. Kim was definitely better then.
2002 - Kim won all the important matches and won the YEC
2003 - Yes Justine won 2 slams but Kim was the finalist in both and won the YEC and she became the first player to dislodge Serena from the no.1 spot and kept the ranking until the end of the year. Kim also won 9 singles and many doubles tournaments and broke the record for most prizemoney in a year (a record which would not be broken until this year). So I can see the argument for saying Justine had the better year but it's not as cut and dry as you would like to believe.
2004 - Kim basically didn't play after the early clay season, not a fair comparison for either player
2005 - You're forgetting that Justine did play Toronto and US Open that year. But this was Kim's year.
2006 - Justine won all the important matches, she was better for sure.

Like I said, for the majority of 1999-2006, Kim was better. Out of those seven years, even if I'm being absolutely generous I can only say that Justine was better for 3 of those years (2006 and possibly 2003 and in the extreme case I'll concede 2004)

much more successful? Both played their first WTA tournament in Antwerp, who won that tournament? Justine ;)

Justine almost beat Lindsay in Paris, if they hadn't met already in the second round, this would've been an even high profile match. Don't forget Kim was severely beaten 6/2 6/2 by Steffi.

wow, great point, Kim had more success than Justine because "the world" knew her as Lleyton's girlfriend :lol: :help:

So Kim didn't choke against Serena :D?

2001: Justine was the first Belgian to enter the top-5, she choked in that SF match in Paris, but she had already proven then that she was way better than Kim on clay. Two weeks later she proved she was the better grass player too :) Clijsters had the ball basher's advantage on hardcourt, that's true.

2002: if it hadn't been for a very good indoor season, this year would have been very disappointing for Clijsters. Justine had the better results at the GS level, on clay and on grass.

2003: Justine proved who was the best player physically, tactically, technically and mentally during their two GS finals (and not only there :D ). Kim became n1 thanks to her packed tournament schedule, her body would soon react to this... check your facts, Clijsters did NOT keep the ranking until the end of the year, Justine became n1 for the first time in Zurich after another great tournament victory :bounce: Justine won more slams and more Tier I's, Kim got more little ones :)

2004: just compare till March if you want to, Justine was the better player :wavey:
2005: Justine was injured after the claycourt season, Kim had a fabulous year, especially on clay and grass :tape:

2006: yay, we agree :p

Justine has always been the more talented player of the two, it was only a matter of time before she proved it on every surface :angel:

Paul.be
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:01 AM
much more successful? Both played their first WTA tournament in Antwerp, who won that tournament? Justine ;)

Justine almost beat Lindsay in Paris, if they hadn't met already in the second round, this would've been an even high profile match. Don't forget Kim was severely beaten 6/2 6/2 by Steffi.

wow, great point, Kim had more success than Justine because "the world" knew her as Lleyton's girlfriend :lol: :help:

2001: Justine was the first Belgian to enter the top-5, she choked in that SF match in Paris, but she had already proven then that she was way better than Kim on clay. Two weeks later she proved she was the better grass player too :) Clijsters had the ball basher's advantage on hardcourt, that's true.

2002: if it hadn't been for a very good indoor season, this year would have been very disappointing for Clijsters. Justine had the better results at the GS level, on clay and on grass.

2003: Justine proved who was the best player physically, tactically, technically and mentally during their two GS finals (and not only there :D ). Kim became n1 thanks to her packed tournament schedule, her body would soon react to this... check your facts, Clijsters did NOT keep the ranking until the end of the year, Justine became n1 for the first time in Zurich after another great tournament victory :bounce: Justine won more slams and more Tier I's, Kim got more little ones :)

2004: just compare till March if you want to, Justine was the better player :wavey:
2005: Justine was injured after the claycourt season, Kim had a fabulous year, especially on clay and grass :tape:

2006: yay, we agree :p

Justine has always been the more talented player of the two, it was only a matter of time before she proved it on every surface :angel:

I wrote almost the same in post #25. Apparantly they won't get it even when facing the facts.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:06 AM

LOL, Kim was barely past 14 years old. I wouldn't be too hard on her for not winning her first tournament on a surface she hated.

Kim was definitely more well known than Justine because of her success at that point.

Not in 1999. She was only 16 playing the best fighter in women's tennis. Losing that match close in the third is definitely not choking especially considering the fight Serena showed in her other matches those two weeks (she won a lot of 3 setters).

Kim was never a ball basher. Let me guess, you must be from the French part of Belgium and just hate Kim?:rolleyes: How could Justine prove she was "way better" than Kim on clay when she lost the most important match they played? :confused: Being first to get to no.5 is one thing, but being first to get to a slam final (in singles and doubles and playing an epic match in the singles) when you're a whole year younger is more important.

What's your point? If it hadn't been for a very good claycourt season 2002 would've been a total disaster for Justine too. You can't just ignore certain results because they don't agree with your point. I remember Kim beating Justine something like 6-2 6-3 in Sydney and Justine came out saying that she had played at a very high level but Kim was just too good.

Sorry, their h2h was closer than that that year. Berlin was a near miss for Kim and she beat Justine comfortably in Antwerp and won a close match in Filderstadt. Of course Justine won in the French Open and US Open but she retired in Hertogenbosch.

2005 was a good year for Kim. She won the very rare Miami-IW double taking out all the best players and then went on a tear in the summer hardcourts beating Justine along the way.

Who is more talented is a topic for another thread, I'm trying to show you how Kim was the better player for most of their careers together.

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM
The turning point was the 2003 Berlin final.

Since then Kim managed to win only 3 matches and never the big ones

what a match :drool: , that second match point was so close :eek: :D

and Clijsters was lucky Justine injured herself during the Rosmalen final of '03 after Ju had won the first set...

Paul.be
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:15 AM
what a match :drool: , that second match point was so close :eek: :D

and Clijsters was lucky Justine injured herself during the Rosmalen final of '03 after Ju had won the first set...

Right. She was heading for a clean win after that tight first set (tie-break wasn't it?).

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:23 AM
barely past 14 years old :confused: that tournament was played in '99, not in '97

of course, Serena never wins matches thanks to choking opponents :rolleyes: it took Steffi three sets to beat Lindsay in Paris in '99, so don't act as if Justine has to be ashamed about her performance against Davenport.

:lol: no, I'm not from the French part of Belgium *surprise surprise*, you don't have to be from Wallonia to be a Justine fan, you know ;)

You clearly didn't see the match and the way she pulverised Clijsters in that first set and the beginning of the second :) Appelmans - one of Clijsters' closest colleagues - felt sorry for Kim, the way she was blown off the court. Justine won her first grand slam title at the age of 21, Kim won her first and only slam title at the age of 22. Both started their careers in 99, so both were ready at that moment to compete.

"If it hadn't been for a very good claycourt season 2002 would've been a total disaster for Justine too."

really? a SF at Wimbledon isn't what I call a disaster... I'm not ignoring any results. I didn't deny Kim was better than Justine in Sydney, did I?

"2005 was a good year for Kim"

of course, it's always a good year when you win a grand slam tournament, something Justine has achieved the past five years :) also a very rare feat, if you ask me ;) It's a pity Justine was hampered by an injury the second half of the year.

"I'm trying to show you how Kim was the better player for most of their careers together"

I'm afraid you failed to do that, sorry :)

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Right. She was heading for a clean win after that tight first set (tie-break wasn't it?).

indeed :)

Paul.be
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:31 AM
barely past 14 years old :confused: that tournament was played in '99, not in '97

:lol: no, I'm not from the French part of Belgium *surprise surprise*, you don't have to be from Wallonia to be a Justine fan, you know ;)

Justine has a lot of fans in Flanders (Including myself).

jujufreak
Nov 30th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Justine has a lot of fans in Flanders (Including myself).

:wavey: join the club :D :bounce: ;)

Barpaw91
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM
the best