PDA

View Full Version : Ausy Open should be SEASON ending event

#1SteffiGraf#1
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM
The Ausy Open as it is, is kind of by itself like the Planet Pluto. Then there is a long period of small/meaningless tournies then it picks up again in late March/April...

So I say scrap the YEC's....

Make the Ausy the FINAL tournament of the season....

It would add alot of juice to the Ausy Open if it were the YEC's basically. And they could move the tournies around so that there is a few in November/December leading up to the Ausy.

The next season would start up again in late March/early April, with Roland Garros being the first Slam of the year.

I know Ill prolly have a million people disagree with me, and Im probably overlooking something but I thought Id throw it out there.

Thoughts?

aussie_fan
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
No, it's fine the way it is

Alicia Rocks
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Definatly not.

Keadz
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
First of all, Pluto isn't a planet anymore!:p

Secondly, they have like 30 courts there and facilities for big tournaments, not 8 players.

Thirdly, when the Aussie Open was on at the end of the year, nobody wanted to go there:(

AND, it is a huge drawing card for international visitors during January, and changing it would make Melbourne's tourism industry for the summer, plummet to new lows!

azza
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
^^^ what he said!

DutchieGirl
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Like hell is should... and btw, it's AUSSIE!

goldenlox
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
The WTA has a year end event. In Doha, the prizemoney is going up 50% next year, from $3 million to $4.5.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:47 AM
it never worked before

Aus Open was in Dec and it was not good.

YEC used to be held in March.

Season was from April -March.

all changed after 86 when they had 2 YEC (one in March and other in Nov)

Renalicious
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
So you're saying we should have 3 slams and have the YEC somewhere in the middle? Kinda doesnt make sense for the 'Race' though?

esquímaux
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Well since Pluto isn't a planet, the Aus Open isn't a tourney. Problem solved, kthnxbye!!! :wavey:

darice
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
it's not a bad idea. i always thought they should play a slam indoors on a carpet cause it would even out the 4 surfaces when it came to the slams.

Pasta-Na
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Like hell is should... and btw, it's AUSSIE!

:lol: :haha:

Lucemferre
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hell no. Aussie Open is the best slam. Besides, it has a new surface so we already have something new to get used to. No need for another change!

~lollipop_girl~
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
The likelihood of AO being moved at all is very slim... Simple reason is that Tennis Australia pretty much wouldn't agree to it coz they know the only reason the get so many people attending is pretty much coz its school holidays. School holidays end at the same time as AO every year and it gives the kids in Melbourne something big to attend... If they are at school when its on, the crowds will go down... I will be incredibly shocked if it ever gets moved :shrug:

I do like how it is now as well and I don't think it should be moved back or forward to be able to put more tournaments in front of it... Its the only GS really were it tests the players "raw talent" (for lack of a better phrase) coz they aren't using confidence from being on a winning streak or lots of match practice vs little match practice... In a sense, every one is starting from almost scratch in a new session, so its equal chance to all (kinda :p)

That's my long rambling two cents ;)

Louis Cyphre
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Stupid idea

thrust
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I think it should be played about a month later in order to give players more time to get into shape by playig more tournaments befoe the Open. There also should be more time between the FO and Wimbledon, for obvious reasons. Obvious to anyone, but the WTA.

goldenlox
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM
WTA has no say in when the AO is played. It would be good for the players if the WTA had control of the AO, but they don't.

alfajeffster
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I used to think it should be moved, but having been there, and thought about the experience for a couple of years, I think it's great for the time slot it's currently enjoying. The only suggestion would be to begin the tournament on Australia Day (January 26th) with a big bang, and then run it through the beginning of February. It really is a spectacular event- clean, well-run, and very well attended for all the rounds. You just don't see empty seats there like you do sometimes at the French, and nearly all the time at the U.S. Open. If anything, I'd like to see a return to grass instead of Rebound Ace, but I'm hopeful for the new faster surface promised for 2008- we shall see, and be cheering the return of effective net play when it happens!

sfselesfan
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM
The thing that most saved the Aussie Open from oblivion was moving it to the beginning of the year. It was the joke of the tour before that happened. It becomes a much more desirable win at the beginning of the year than at the end...just like the YEC is a joke now.

SF

DutchieGirl
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I used to think it should be moved, but having been there, and thought about the experience for a couple of years, I think it's great for the time slot it's currently enjoying. The only suggestion would be to begin the tournament on Australia Day (January 26th) with a big bang, and then run it through the beginning of February. It really is a spectacular event- clean, well-run, and very well attended for all the rounds. You just don't see empty seats there like you do sometimes at the French, and nearly all the time at the U.S. Open. If anything, I'd like to see a return to grass instead of Rebound Ace, but I'm hopeful for the new faster surface promised for 2008- we shall see, and be cheering the return of effective net play when it happens!

Nice idea, but as you say - Australia day is on the 26th - so it's not gonna be on a Monday every year is it? :p Or do you think we should start the tourney mid week and finish mid week? :p

Plus by then, most kids are going back to school, and so I think attendance would go down - but I guess at least Uni students would still be off. ;)

bunch_01
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM
It would be good if it started in the last week of January or the first week in February...but obviously the Australians don't like that idea. Here in the USA its a good slot because the only football left around is the Superbowl and basketball hits it stride in March.

saniapower
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Due to the heat factor it could be played some time later

sfselesfan
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I agree with almost everything you said. I want to comment on the desire for a return to grass courts. From what I've read in a few books about the old Aussie events was that the grass courts didn't work as well in Australia. I heard the insect population in Australia makes grass courts virtually impossible to maintain in a healthy manner. The courts were uneven, bug infested, and chewed beyond belief. That was one of the reasons the players didn't want to make the long trip unless they were going for the "grand slam." The Aussies were the only ones that apparently didn't mind. Grass court lovers from other countries hated going there (even McEnroe). I don't know if technology has changed. If so, I'm all for more grass tournaments. I just know the reasons they changed it originally.

SF

schorsch
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Nice facts you got there sfselesfan :)

Shooter
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I think it should be played about a month later in order to give players more time to get into shape by playig more tournaments befoe the Open. There also should be more time between the FO and Wimbledon, for obvious reasons. Obvious to anyone, but the WTA. I agree with these ideas. The season is too long. This would shorten it by a few weeks. The YEC should also be dropped as someone else mentioned. It was riddled by injuries this year. It's too much to ask players to put out that much effort that late in the year. The other problem with staging the Aussie Open in mid-January is that it is too hot. Hopefully, it would be cooler in Melbourne if they held it a month later. I had the chance to attend the Aussie Open last January, but chose to go to Gold Coast instead because I was worried about the heat in Melbourne. Remember how many matches were postponed due to heat last January? I definitely made the right choice by going to Gold Coast.

wolfgang
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM
The other problem with staging the Aussie Open in mid-January is that it is too hot. Hopefully, it would be cooler in Melbourne if they held it a month later.

If the Aussie Open is to be shifted to avoid the heat it would need to be held at least two months later. February is just as hot as January - the average daily max. temp. is the same. The first two weeks of March are also likely to be hot, so as I said, two months later. That would necessitate a major re-jigging of the schedule for the first few months of the year, affecting the North American spring season and the European clay court season leading up to the French Open.

The point about the kids on holidays raised previously is very valid. The Aussie Open organisers are obsessed with trumpeting the size of their crowds - anything to diminish them would be desperately resisted. Smaller crowds would mean less revenue and the Open can not afford that as it tries to keep pace with the prizemoney of the other slams.

Having said all that, if the ITF, ATP and WTA got together and decided to change the schedule, and told Tennis Australia that the Open was now going to be held later in the year, what could Tennis Australia do about it?

kiwifan
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
The thing that most saved the Aussie Open from oblivion was moving it to the beginning of the year. It was the joke of the tour before that happened. It becomes a much more desirable win at the beginning of the year than at the end...just like the YEC is a joke now.

SF

Yep.

It was common for top players to just blow off the Aussie O, if they were having an average to bad year or were just sick of playing tennis.

At the beginning of the year, you would only be having a bad year by blowing it off.

Langers
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM
WTA has no say in when the AO is played. It would be good for the players if the WTA had control of the AO, but they don't.
The Australian Open should, under no circumstances, be moved. Because it's played in January the crowds are at the max and if they shifted it back you watch the crowds decline and so too the general interest in it.

~lollipop_girl~
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
It would be very hard to maintain high quality grass courts here... Not only the insects, but the average temp is hotter now then it use to be and the country has a massive issue with being in drought... The amount of water needed to maintain the grass (especially with the heat and sun that it would be getting) would be incredible and somewhat unjustified with the water restrictions we have... So not impossible but very hard.

I understand so many people (incl. players) wanting it to be moved but I will be very disappointed if it ever does... Tennis is not big in Australia and does get rejected most of the time, the only reason the AO get so much attention is coz of the time of year it is (school holidays) and that not really any other sports are being played then.

RJWCapriati
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:38 AM
:silly:

LindsayRulz
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I think it's OK at the beginning. I know it's summer time in Australia during the AO and it's hard to play in this condition but, for a fan, isn't great to be able to watch tennis during the christmas holidays all day without homeworks and all...

DutchieGirl
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I agree with these ideas. The season is too long. This would shorten it by a few weeks. The YEC should also be dropped as someone else mentioned. It was riddled by injuries this year. It's too much to ask players to put out that much effort that late in the year. The other problem with staging the Aussie Open in mid-January is that it is too hot. Hopefully, it would be cooler in Melbourne if they held it a month later. I had the chance to attend the Aussie Open last January, but chose to go to Gold Coast instead because I was worried about the heat in Melbourne. Remember how many matches were postponed due to heat last January? I definitely made the right choice by going to Gold Coast.

Sorry but :lol: Choosing GC over AO means nothing - GC is ALWAYS hot in summer!

miffedmax
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Been there. Done that. Barbara Jordan as a GS champion.

Leave it where it is.

alfajeffster
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I agree with almost everything you said. I want to comment on the desire for a return to grass courts. From what I've read in a few books about the old Aussie events was that the grass courts didn't work as well in Australia. I heard the insect population in Australia makes grass courts virtually impossible to maintain in a healthy manner. The courts were uneven, bug infested, and chewed beyond belief. That was one of the reasons the players didn't want to make the long trip unless they were going for the "grand slam." The Aussies were the only ones that apparently didn't mind. Grass court lovers from other countries hated going there (even McEnroe). I don't know if technology has changed. If so, I'm all for more grass tournaments. I just know the reasons they changed it originally.

SF

It's interesting about grass-court lovers from other countries, and the comparisons between English, American, and Australian grass. From what I can tell, many of the top players over the years complained bitterly about the conditions at Kooyong, because of the sloping courts and the feeling of having to hit uphill toward the net (which was real), as well as the often dry, almost clay/dirt court conditions which produced a higher bounce than what could be found at Wimbledon and Forest Hills. I've yet to read a comment about an Australian grass court playing "greasy".

I think when the Australian Davis Cup team chose to lay down grass in Rod Laver Arena a few years ago, it was a vivid display that it is not only possible to achieve, but a viable option. It all comes down to tennis industry vs. the purist, and I am a proud member of the latter. I have been fortunate enough to have played on grass courts at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, the Germantown Cricket Club, and a small resort in Palm Springs, CA, and when the conditions were right, it was magical (not to mention a rude awakening for muscles in the lower back and upper thighs).

DutchieGirl
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM
It's interesting about grass-court lovers from other countries, and the comparisons between English, American, and Australian grass. From what I can tell, many of the top players over the years complained bitterly about the conditions at Kooyong, because of the sloping courts and the feeling of having to hit uphill toward the net (which was real), as well as the often dry, almost clay/dirt court conditions which produced a higher bounce than what could be found at Wimbledon and Forest Hills. I've yet to read a comment about an Australian grass court playing "greasy".

I think when the Australian Davis Cup team chose to lay down grass in Rod Laver Arena a few years ago, it was a vivid display that it is not only possible to achieve, but a viable option. It all comes down to tennis industry vs. the purist, and I am a proud member of the latter. I have been fortunate enough to have played on grass courts at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, the Germantown Cricket Club, and a small resort in Palm Springs, CA, and when the conditions were right, it was magical (not to mention a rude awakening for muscles in the lower back and upper thighs).

A viable option to lay grass on all of the AO courts? I doubt it. Also, there are OTHER events throughout the year at RLA & VOdafone, so then they'd have to keep pulling it up and relaying it - what a waste of money. PLUS we have severe water problems here due to drought - so I really don't think it's viable to do it here.