PDA

View Full Version : Henin to play in Sydney tournament

Rosslyn
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2007/11/26/Heads_up_World_number_one_Henin_confirmed_to_play_ in_Sydney_International

The world's top female tennis player Justine Henin will headline the women's draw at the Medibank International in Sydney this summer.

The Belgian confirmed she will play the Sydney tournament after completing the most brilliant season of her stellar career.

Henin finished 2007 with ten career titles, including the grand slam double of the US Open and French Open, but the year started with the disappointment of missing the Australian circuit due to personal reasons and Henin will travel to Sydney in January with revenge on her mind.

"I am very excited to be returning to Sydney.

As everyone knows the start of 2007 was a very difficult time for me personally and I really missed playing the Australian circuit, but this will make me even more eager to do well in January,” Henin said.

“I was sad I wasn't in Australia this year and I hope to take my revenge in a few weeks.”

The Medibank International has been a happy hunting ground for Henin and she will be aiming to win her 40th career title at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre this summer.

"I love playing the event in Sydney,” Henin said. “It is a unique setting having hosted the Olympics in 2000 and the facilities are first class. Everyone does an incredible job of looking after the players and for me personally it's the ideal preparation for the Australian Open.”

Henin won the Medibank International in 2006 and also in 2004 when she went on to claim her first, and only, Australian Open crown.

"I always seem to do well there and this helps me in Melbourne too,” said Henin. “Hopefully my good luck will continue there in 2008.”

Medibank International Tournament Director Craig Watson said Justine Henin is a crowd favourite in Sydney and sure to turn on a show for her supporters this January.

In 2007, the Medibank International attracted 26 of the world's top 30 women and the field is expected to be equally strong this summer.

"The Medibank International title is one of the most coveted on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and I expect Justine Henin, as the world's number one, will headline a field that includes most of the world's top 30 women,” Mr Watson said.

Brett.
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Good luck in Sydney, Justine! :yeah:

Henpova
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
This is not at shock, sine she loves playing there. I can't wait till then!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Great news! Can't wait for her to play again :yeah:

The last 2 times she participated (and won) this tournament, she went to the AO final... will it be three in a row? ;)

Mikey.
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM
YAY! Looks like I'll be seeing her, hopefully in the final. :) I'm so excited to be going!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Serenidad.
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Henin/Serena QF to come. With JJ in the SFs, having already played Hopman Cup, and Gold Coast.

Dunlop1
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Why is Justine always talking about 'taking revenge' at the AO?? She didn't play AO 07 so what is there to avenge? Her absence? If so then her choice of word is poor.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
^^^
Can't fault her. English is her second language.

But yeah, "revenge" is an odd word to use. Maybe she wants to scare her opponents or something :lol:

Helaena
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
wow, juju!!! im excited im excited.....

it's sooo boring without tennis action...without juju in action!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
LOL, there goes any chance of winning the Australian Open for her

Zweli
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Why is Justine always talking about 'taking revenge' at the AO?? She didn't play AO 07 so what is there to avenge? Her absence? If so then her choice of word is poor.

May be the one who won it contributed to her absence , that's the implication.Sometimes little success can lead to mouth diarrhoea.

buckyohare
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Bye Bye AO title.
Having said that, she knows her body better than me.

minboy
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Girl will never learn

Forehand_Volley
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The way she was treated after the '06 finals.

Yes, they've given her ample motivation to win in '08.

Go, Henin!

Dunlop1
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Go, Henin!

I seriously doubt this is what she is referring to. Justine knows better.
I mean who in their right mind would expect no criticism for retiring in a grand slam final? Especially given the nature of her ailment.

I think she is just choosing her words poorly. Just like her 'aggressivity' :hearts: (I know she doesn't say it anymore lol)

kaghat
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I would like to explain what does justine means with revenge. She makes a fout because in french we say "prendre ma revanche" which does not mean revenge in itself but the fact of taking advantage (again). we use this expression a lot in sport interviews to say i will turn the situation to my favor. In french revenge is "vengence" so she does for sur not mean revenge. and if there is a little revenge to take she means revenge of the situation which pushed her to withdraw from sydney and AO and not from anybody. You must know that the fact to think in a native language and you speak another language can be difficult sometimes... :worship:

cecilija
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM
:help: :smash: :weirdo: Justine, will you ever learn?

justine schnyder
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yay, I hope she'll go far :)
Nice to see her play there again! :hearts:

Paul.be
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
:help: :smash: :weirdo: Justine, will you ever learn?

What's your problem?
In 2003 she won Roland Garros and the US Open. She continued in 2004 with Sydney and the Australian Open.
In 2007 she won Roland Garros and the US Open. She continues in 2008 with ...
:)

minboy
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM
What's your problem?
In 2003 she won Roland Garros and the US Open. She continued in 2004 with Sydney and the Australian Open.
In 2007 she won Roland Garros and the US Open. She continues in 2008 with ...
:)

Sydney 2006
Eastbourne 2006
New Haven 2006
Eastbourne 2007

That's the problem...

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:45 PM
^^^
Well, I understand the concern is, but she knows what she's doing... right? ;)

As long as she doesn't play Eastbourne (please!), I'm OK with it.

lightningquick
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I think most ju fans will be happier if she loses early in sydney than be disappointed/sad LOL.

freeandlonely
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I like the word revenge.
Maybe the attitude is a big part why I love her.
She wnats to achieve everything that she has the ability to achieve.
Wish her all the best at Sydney, and more important, at AO.
Allez

Direwolf
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I think most ju fans will be happier if she loses early in sydney than be disappointed/sad LOL.

and lose that winning streak??

no thanks...

lightningquick
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:05 PM
and lose that winning streak??

no thanks...

it's hard to explain.... LOL...:lol:

Bijoux0021
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I still say Justine didn't play the AO this year was because of all the bashing she deservedly took for quitting at the 2006 AO final. That shameful act was/is still fresh on people's minds, and she didn't want to face it so soon by going to Australia. Now she has the nerves talking about "taking revenge?" :lol: :lol:

minboy
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I still say Justine didn't play the AO this year was because of all the bashing she deservedly took for quitting at the 2006 AO final. That shameful act was/is still fresh on people's minds, and she didn't want to face it so soon by going to Australia. Now she has the nerves talking about "taking revenge?" :lol: :lol:

Yeah, and her divorce was a cover-up :weirdo:

Bijoux0021
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, and her divorce was a cover-up :weirdo:
Absolutely. That was a perfect EXCUSE.

minboy
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
People like you make me sick.

Ninny
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Being a Serena fan you should know everything about excuses :tape:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
^^^
What do you expect from Bijoux0021? He thinks Serena is God and others are midgets. Oh wait, midgets are far better... maybe micro-organisms.

He is one reason why Serena fans get a bad name. Put him on Ignore... it's much more satisfying not knowing whatever crap he's typing. :)

soul
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
She deserves to win there; I wish her luck

Drake1980
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Sweet:woohoo:

Petersmiler
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM

What? No mention of RG 2003? You're slipping Bijoux!

By the way, you do know that no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true?

plantman
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Who's mind/minds? You give little credit to the public for being able to forgive and forget. I doubt the average tennis watcher is going to give a rats bottom what happened in 2006. Only here do you find it rehashed by certain fan groups. If you would go back and read the poster kaghat's explanation to Justine's comment on "taking revenge" perhaps you might find it helpful. :)

bie
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I would like to explain what does justine means with revenge. She makes a fout because in french we say "prendre ma revanche" which does not mean revenge in itself but the fact of taking advantage (again). we use this expression a lot in sport interviews to say i will turn the situation to my favor. In french revenge is "vengence" so she does for sur not mean revenge. and if there is a little revenge to take she means revenge of the situation which pushed her to withdraw from sydney and AO and not from anybody. You must know that the fact to think in a native language and you speak another language can be difficult sometimes... :worship:

Maybe it's good thing to quote kaghat's explanation about Justine's word "revenge" after every 15 posts. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/bigsmile.gifhttp://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/fluiter.gif

moby
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Girl will never learnFirst thing I thought when I saw the thread title too. :tape:

DragonFlame
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM
ugh, why justine why?!?!?:o i'm 100% sure she'll win sydney but the AO is in doubt now ugh... If she ends up making the same mistakes all over again.. You better not play eastbourne or i'm gonna kick your ass!!!:fiery:

Nov 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM
What other big stars are confirmed for the Sydney tournament?

Rtael
Nov 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM
ugh, why justine why?!?!?:o i'm 100% sure she'll win sydney but the AO is in doubt now ugh... If she ends up making the same mistakes all over again.. You better not play eastbourne or i'm gonna kick your ass!!!:fiery:

I agree about Eastbourne, but I really don't think this is the same thing...Sydney/AO are at the beginning of the year, and the only way she'll be tired by the end of the AO is if she overtrains in the pre-season or if she's sicks. In either of those cases, it's doubtful she'd win anyway. Eastbourne/Wimby is in the middle of the year and right after she wins RG (;)) so she's more likely to need the rest then instead of the extra play.

Brooks.
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:17 AM
so when she doesn't win in Australia are her fans going to use her participation in sydney as the excuse?

doni1212
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM
so when she doesn't win in Australia are her fans going to use her participation in sydney as the excuse?

Of course they will, :rolleyes:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Ah... the essence of hate. How I love a taste of it :p

Helaena
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:29 AM
I agree about Eastbourne, but I really don't think this is the same thing...Sydney/AO are at the beginning of the year, and the only way she'll be tired by the end of the AO is if she overtrains in the pre-season or if she's sicks. In either of those cases, it's doubtful she'd win anyway. Eastbourne/Wimby is in the middle of the year and right after she wins RG (;)) so she's more likely to need the rest then instead of the extra play.

i agree with this one......in sydney, she's still fresh after a long break, so im pretty sure she's not gonna have a big problem.....im positive!!!! go justine!!!

she needs at least a week break in RG, WIMBY and USO.....

ALLEZ JUSTINE!!!

switz
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Go, Henin!

wow that's a bullshit theory if there ever was one :o

Helaena
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:31 AM

oh yeah, geez, we are a bunch of geniuses!!!! getting our excuses ready weeks ahead...;)

Ntour
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Sydney 2006
Eastbourne 2006
New Haven 2006
Eastbourne 2007

That's the problem...

i don't think its the same as eastbourne

she is coming fresh into the season not the same as playing the french having a couple week soff then playing 3 weeks in a row

in 06 she had that shoulder injury (which eventually led to the stomach situation etc)from the very beginning of the AO after something like 3 or 4 matches i don't think it is the same

i suppose we will see, i still believe she can win both sydney and the AO

Ninny
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I doubt it. That's the Williams' fans road and Williams' fans and JH fans do not go down the same road.

Junex
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Nope!