PDA

View Full Version : If Serena had not drawn Justine 3 times, she would have reached all the Slam finals.

chuvack
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I'm not a big Serena fan but I think nobody else but Henin was going to beat Serena at the Slams this year. So it really should be viewed as a freak accident that Serena drew Henin in QF at all 3 Slams. For example Serena could also have been 3 times in opposite draw half as Henin and reached FO, Wimby and USO finals.

So for Serena it was quite an arbitrary difference between having a great year in 2007 and a bad one (losing 3 times in Slam quarterfinals).

Aaron.
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Good to get a post in before this turns into a bashing thread

iPatty
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
You can't possibly know that.

tenn_ace
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I guess, we will never know.

PS. Henin didn't make to Wimbledon final, by the way................

chuvack
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM

why does it have to be a bashing thread. Serena destroyed the best players in the WTA (minus Henin) in Australia. Who was really going to beat her at the other 3 Slams? The odds against her drawing Henin 3 straight times were 1 chance in 64.

John.
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM
No-one will ever know

Aaron.
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM
why does it have to be a bashing thread. Serena destroyed the best players in the WTA (minus Henin) in Australia. Who was really going to beat her at the other 3 Slams? The odds against her drawing Henin 3 straight times were 1 chance in 64. You should know that all threads that have Justine or Serena in them turn into bashing

chuvack
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
You should know that all threads that have Justine or Serena in them turn into bashing

I'm just saying that those 3 QFs understated Serena's level this year, she was most probably the 2nd best player on the tour.

racketspeed
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
venus was definatley playing better at the US open and would have beaten her. It would have been close between them at wimbledon so...

roelc
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
BUT SHE DID

(no need to say more I guess)

dybbuk
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
FO - possibly
Wimbledon - No, she was injured and I wouldn't have fancied her chances against either Ana or Venus
USO - Yes

twight6
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM
The bottom line is she did, and I don't think a final would be any sort of consolation to Serena... she still would have been stomped by Justine, still wouldn't have won the title, still wouldn't be #1 in the world right now...

Donny
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Depends, really. Athe FO she would have had a challenge in Ivanovic. At Wimbledon, she was injured. She would've lost to Venus, the way she was playing the second week. But yea, she would've made it to the USO finals. No one on the other half could've stopped her, the way they were playing.

DimaDinosaur
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:53 PM
yes to all 3

maximus82
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM
FO- maybe. She didn't play enough clay to properly prepare and could have lost to any number of the better players.
Wimbledon- no. at her level of injury, she would have lost to most of the top players. Hantuchova choked big time and Henin got really tight...I think most other players would have taken advantage more. And Venus would have blown her out of the water with her superb QF, SF, or F level.
USO- yes, aside from Venus. If she had drawn V before the final, I would give the edge to V.

Sally Struthers
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM
who really cares? the only thing that counts is who wins the tournament

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:00 AM
no at Wimbledon - she was injured and Henin didnt play well in that match either.

FO - depends on Ana's nerves

US - yes, the bottom half was poor!

new-york
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Venus was playing better at the uso.
She was injured @ Wimz.
RG, well that's where i would have given her the most chances.

but who knows.

the only thing sure it that next time Serena plays Joost, she betta be comin' with the goodz. [/mary-jo.]

Henpova
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I don't thinks she would of, she dose not play that well on clay, so I would say no at the FO, as far as wimblodon I say no too, due to being injured. Also I think she would of lost Vee ot Kusy in the USO. I know some of you will laugh at the Kusy but She did bet Sarena after the USO.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Who knows what would have happened if Justine had played AO?

Who knows what would have happened if Bartoli had not seen Pierce Brosnen in the crowd at Wimby?

Who knows what would have happened if Aga Radwanska had not been aggresive and played mind games against Maria Sharapova?

Who knows what would have happened if Daniela Hantuchova had not won Linz and qualified for the YEC?

Who knows what would have happened if Jelena had not played 28 tournaments this year?

Who knows what would have happened if Maria had not made all those unforced errors in the YEC final and convert her break points?

These are all just ifs and buts. They have already happened. So, it's part of history. Therefore, let's continue on to 2008 shall we?

PatrickRyan
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Wimbledon YES
French and US NO

supergrunt
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I'm just so over that. Three loses- all of them arguable. Next season. What's done is done! :D

DaMamaJama87
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Depends, really. Athe FO she would have had a challenge in Ivanovic. At Wimbledon, she was injured. She would've lost to Venus, the way she was playing the second week. But yea, she would've made it to the USO finals. No one on the other half could've stopped her, the way they were playing.

Ivanovic has folded like a cheap suit against most bigtime players this year. I would've expected the same against Serena. Serena is just too mentally strong to lose a match late in a slam to a streaky player like Ivanovic. Yes Serena was injured at Wimbledon, but her matches with Venus are always a tossup regardless of their form before then. Venus was injured in 2003 too but she very nearly pulled out the win against lil sis. At the US Open I agree, none of the clowns in the bottom half stood a chance. Serena very well could have repeated Justine's feat from last year of reaching all 4 big finals and if she'd been a little more motivated and won the French, she'd have had a good shot at the calendar year slam too. It's very scary that all this was possible considering that most of the year her form was pretty mediocre :tape:

Ryan
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM
People seem to take for granted that if the draws were different Serena could have played a LOT of other people. At the FO she could have played Jankovic or Ivanovic, both of whom I think could have taken out Serena before the finals. At Wimbledon she was too injured to win, she was lucky Hantuchova choked so horribly and that Justine almost choked the match away. Playing against Venus she would have been smoked. At the US Open she was not IMO in that great form, and would have lost to Venus, Jankovic and probably even Kuznetsova.

rockstar
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:14 AM
yeah, whatever.

Tennisstar86
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Wrong.... change the thread title to had Serena not drawn Venus or Henin she'd have made the final... She def wasnt the "2nd best player of the year.... Maybe third....

Donny
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Who knows what would have happened if Bartoli had not seen Pierce Brosnen in the crowd at Wimby?

Who knows what would have happened if Aga Radwanska had not been aggresive and played mind games against Maria Sharapova?

Who knows what would have happened if Daniela Hantuchova had not won Linz and qualified for the YEC?

Who knows what would have happened if Jelena had not played 28 tournaments this year?

Who knows what would have happened if Maria had not made all those unforced errors in the YEC final and convert her break points?

These are all just ifs and buts. They have already happened. So, it's part of history. Therefore, let's continue on to 2008 shall we?

Good thing you're a mod and can control the forum content. Oh, wait...

Half the threads here deal with hypotheticals. I don't understand how we distinguish the "good" ones from the "bad" ones. I also don't remember you rebutting the (numerous) posts pondering if Serena would of won the AO had Henin not been there.

kaktusino
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:37 AM
FO - Yes, she will win in semis over Jankovic. An in final over Ivanovic...
WIM - Probably, but Marion realy was in great form, who know...
USO - No, because if Henin for example lose to Serena, than Venus can beat Serena.

theDreamer
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Good thing you're a mod and can control the forum content. Oh, wait...

Half the threads here deal with hypotheticals. I don't understand how we distinguish the "good" ones from the "bad" ones. I also don't remember you rebutting the (numerous) posts pondering if Serena would of won the AO had Henin not been there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that found that post a bit strange.
Besides, nothing has happened in 2008 yet for us to continue on to.

Dunlop1
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I seriously doubt that she would've made those finals.
She wasn't impressive at FO but this is the only slam I can say she may have made the final.

At Wimbly she barely got past Hantuchova. Plus if she ended up in the other half, Venus would have beaten her easily, considering the form Venus found once she ended up on centre court.

At USO, she was playing like ass. Kuznetsova could've beaten her the way she was playing.

dwynn10
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I'm not a big Serena fan but I think nobody else but Henin was going to beat Serena at the Slams this year. So it really should be viewed as a freak accident that Serena drew Henin in QF at all 3 Slams. For example Serena could also have been 3 times in opposite draw half as Henin and reached FO, Wimby and USO finals.

So for Serena it was quite an arbitrary difference between having a great year in 2007 and a bad one (losing 3 times in Slam quarterfinals).

If only Henin's dad were George Clooney and her mom Nicole Kidman, Henin would have a career in modeling, not tennis. If only Mexico had not ceded California to the US and Spain not ceded Florida to the US, the WS would now be playing for Mexico or Spain. If only Hantuchova had a killer instinct, she would have kicked Serena's butt when the latter got "injured" in the fourth round at Wimbly this year. Damn, those freaking "ifs" keep preventing things from happening the way they should!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands :clap2:

If you're happy and you know it, and you really want to show it...

Renalicious
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Yes to all, I think. But I don't think she would have won the USO with that poor level of play.

Ninny
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM

If you're happy and you know it, and you really want to show it...

:lol:

Direwolf
Nov 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM
In FO...
She could beat Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic....

In USO...
she could have slauughtered both Kuznetsova and Chakvetadze...
still she would lose to Venus..

In Wimbledon...
She coulve a chance against Bartoli..
and still lose to Henin

Tenis Srbija
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Oh dear... :lol:
If I put 1000euros on Marion getting to W final I would be millionaire :awww:
I was so close...like Serena :(

Meghanns Journey
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM

LOL! :yeah:

In The Zone
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I'm glad Serena lost. Maybe now she'll realize she has some work to do.

Highlandman
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I don't think she would have beat Venus in New York.

In Paris & Wimbeldon I can agree with you. But think in Wimbledon she would have lost to Venus in finals.

goldlion
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
If Henin, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Venus, Kuznetsova haven't ever emerged, Serena would have won all the grand slams.

John.
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
If Henin, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Venus, Kuznetsova haven't ever emerged, Serena would have won all the grand slams.

:lol:

Tennisstar86
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM

she'd have to play them first...:wavey: