PDA

View Full Version : Is it a blessing or a curse?

bie
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Often we see that young and not so young female players are coached by their father or mother for almost their whole career.
Especially in the long run, I wonder if that's a blessing or a curse?

I can understand that, at a very young age, it is favorable to be accompanied by a family member, with the traveling, the budget and so on but later on is'nt it not far more appropiate to choose a personal coach to improve their game?

DaMamaJama87
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Ask Venus and Serena, they're still winning slams with their father and mother. Besides, almost everyone else ditches their parents at some point. Hingis, Capriati, Pierce etc. all got rid of their parents when it stopped suiting them. Other than that I can only think of Bartoli who still depends totally on her father (even Sharapova has REAL coaches besides Yuri)

Henpova
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah most of these player bring in other people to help improve their game. I think the Sister have seen people to help them work on some areas. Bartoli is the only one I know that has not had any one besides her dad.

Uranium
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Williams Sisters show both, Blessing-Winning slams
curse-by Venus not fixing forehand until now.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Williams Sisters show both, Blessing-Winning slams
curse-by Venus not fixing forehand until now.

Girl, that topic deserves a thread of its own. Venus's forehand : blessing or a curse? ;) :lol:

bie
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Not only Bartoli and the Williams sisters are coached by father/mother but in the top 10 alone there are others like Dementieva, Chakvetadse, Vaidisova...
Top 100: there must be a lot more upcoming stars with family coaching.
Until recently there was Krajicek but I believe she is changing hers.

As in the past, Dokic father wasn't a blessing was he?

Aryman3
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Have you ever heard of Robert Radwanski, the father and coach of both sisters

Lucyxx
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Mother/father and a good friend on tour seems to be a fine combination for many top players.

Elwin.
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Misa was coached by Petr Krajicek:scared:
Both decided that it was time for another coach and that coach name is Allistair mcCaw !!
But Petr did a great job :)

venus_rulez
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Well most father/mother coaches don't actually know that much about tennis right? I mean you have the rare exception with the Sisters (in that Richard actually taught strokes) and Melanie Molitor who was a decent player, but to my other knowledge, most other parents don't have any real insight that any random stranger doesn't have in coaching their kids....or am I wrong?

esquímaux
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Alexandra Stevenson? CURSE!! Having a mama Samantha feed you moonballs over the net just isn't cutting it Lexy :tape:;)