PDA

View Full Version : Will 2008 bring good fortunes for Sania Mirza? Can she become a top 10?

saniapower
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Will 2008 bring new hope for Sania Mirza? Will she become a top 10 in 2008? In 2007 she suffered multiple injuries and missed many crucial tournaments but still managed to hang on there in the top 30. She played an excellent us hard court season prior to the uso which saw her singles ranking jumped to a career high 27. She defeated some big names like Tatiana Golovin, Patty Schnyder, Safina, Martina Hingis, Bammer. But she couldn’t sustain the us summer form in the European indoors. In her career she has victories over Svetlana Kuznetsova, Marion Bartoli, Petrova, Li Na, Kirilenko. So can we expect a very good 2008 for Sania which she will start by participating in the Hopman cup!

Elwin.
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Hmmm..

If she can stay healthy and injury free
top 20 is possible.
Don't think she will reach top 10 in 2008, but that will come later!

DimaDinosaur
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Top 20 for sure! Go Mirza

dybbuk
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Top 10 is doubtful, there are too many players better than her. She should be able to establish herself as a top 20 player though.

DaMamaJama87
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Nope. I even wouldn't be surprised if she never gets to the top 30 again after this year. She's just too overhyped and loses too often to shitty players to stay ranked this high. She's too inconsistent to make a run a big tournament (like Bartoli) and doesn't play many tournaments to make up for this either.

John.
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:43 PM
She could be a Top 20 player, but not Top 10

new-york
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:55 PM
top 10 would be very surprising.

i just want some consistency, and a very solid spot in the top 25.

*JR*
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I wonder who's gonna coach her. (Hopefully not Hoffy).

Sally Struthers
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
sania top 10? as if :haha:

sammy01
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
sanias weaknesses are on full display when she plays chakvetadze, she dosen't move well enough, dosen't serve well enough and has poor shot selection. so to make top 10 she would need to significantly improve these areas. i doubt she will improve them enough in 2008, but top 20 is not out of the question. if i was sanias coach i would get tapes of matches with chakvetadze as she is the best player on tour for exposing weaknesses. i would aslo recomend jj's coach get tapes of her matches with chakvetadze, as they show up her weak serves and lack of a killer shot.

urklerlay
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Mirza is one of my faves, but like others had written, not enough depth or variety in her game. Not yet anyway.

Mightymirza
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:09 AM
who knows..Hope she starts the year like she ended the US summer hard court season! Forget the indoor season :tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Hmmm..

If she can stay healthy and injury free
top 20 is possible.
Don't think she will reach top 10 in 2008, but that will come later!

That echoes my view. Top 10 seems realistic to me at some point but probably not next year. Sania is making slow and steady progress and I see no reason this should change for at least a couple more years perhaps more.

zvonarevarulz
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Top 20 is definitly reachable next year, I don't think top 10 though.

Expat
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:33 AM
i thought saniapower was the most realistic of sania maniacs
top 20 at max that too if decides to do a jankovic during the clay season
as someone rightly said she cant even beat anna

ASP0315
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Top 20 next year but at some point she should reach top 10.(may be 2009 or 2010. BTW this was her third year on pro circuit so she is still in learning process.)

That echoes my view. Top 10 seems realistic to me at some point but probably not next year. Sania is making slow and steady progress and I see no reason this should change for at least a couple more years perhaps more.

agreed with that.

drake3781
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I wasn't going to say anything for fear of hurting the OP's hopes... but everyone else is. :p

I don't see Sania in the top ten, and she will have to train hard for top 20/25. Lot of players are on their way up; there is no way to just "hang in there".

rocksania
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM
top 10 would be a welcome surprise for all of us,to be realistic she will be arnd 20-25,if she stays injury free then top 15 is a possibility as well,actually not easy to expect nething from her as she is a surprise package for everyone.:)

saniapower
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
i thought saniapower was the most realistic of sania maniacs
top 20 at max that too if decides to do a jankovic during the clay season
as someone rightly said she cant even beat anna
I know it’d be very difficult for Sania Mirza to become a top 10 by the end of 2008. This is almost impossible. I even feel she has to work really hard to be among the top 25. Lot of young talented players are knocking the door. But Sania has the ability to make some big upsets & she can also lose easily to a weak opponent. Dubai open 2005- reigning uso champion Kuznetsova was leading 4-0 in the 1st set but Sania won the match 6-4,6-2! :shrug: I want to see Sania using more brain than power. Use power when it is absolutely necessary. Unnecessary waste of energy is not desired. She needs to show more consistency & authenticity. She needs to inject more punch and variety in her serve .

DaMamaJama87
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I want to see Sania using more brain than power. Use power when it is absolutely necessary. Unnecessary waste of energy is not desired. She needs to show more consistency & authenticity. She needs to inject more punch and variety in her serve .

You can only use your brain when you have one. Her whole game is centered around hitting that forehand. That's it. She's not going to turn into Hingis overnight :tape: She should stick to what she is good at: whacking the ball, if she tries to outhink opponents, she will lose fast.

And don't bring up Kuzzie, she is the only top player Sania has a decent record against. Until she starts having good results against other top players, that stat will just be a fluke. You need to understand that she is always going to be limited to outside the top 20 at best because her game is so unreliable and to the people saying she'll make top 10 in 2009, well it is very rare for a player to break into the top 10 for the first time in their mid 20s and usually it only happens to all court players, baseline bashers make their mark early or never at all.

Carsten
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Top 10? Deinitely not, shes playing way too one-dimensional and her Forehand is overrated. Top 20 are doable, but i don't see more.

Hashim.
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM
i hope she reaches top 20 :p

patch.
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
top 10 in the future maybe...not in 08

ASP0315
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM
next year she got a lot to defend after Wimbledon. So she needs do the same thing this year skipping indian wells and miami after bagalore open.(which is tier II this season.) and get fresh for French open. (playing a couple of warm ups.)
Olympics are coming after wimbledon. It should her number priority rather than grand slams.

She doesn't have much to defend after USO though.
So top 20 shouldn't be a problem if she doesn't have health problems.
But like siddarth said top 20- 25 is realistic expectations.

Expat
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I know it’d be very difficult for Sania Mirza to become a top 10 by the end of 2008. This is almost impossible. I even feel she has to work really hard to be among the top 25. Lot of young talented players are knocking the door. But Sania has the ability to make some big upsets & she can also lose easily to a weak opponent. Dubai open 2005- reigning uso champion Kuznetsova was leading 4-0 in the 1st set but Sania won the match 6-4,6-2! :shrug: I want to see Sania using more brain than power. Use power when it is absolutely necessary. Unnecessary waste of energy is not desired. She needs to show more consistency & authenticity. She needs to inject more punch and variety in her serve .
please kuzzie loses to anybody
well she would use her brain if she had the weapons
she is much smarter than you and i acknowledge
as long as she has got zero serve she wont improve
she would reach top 20 around wimbledon but from then on it would be a steady decline
no way is she gonna defend those points after wimbledon

mboyle
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Here's my view on Sania:

she has MORE than enough power to make the top ten. However, she doesn't have any speed. This means that she has to emulate the game of say Lindsay Davenport or Maria Sharapova: perfect shot selection with no mistakes (well, Lindsay and Maria both need no mistakes to be no. 1. Sania isn't quite that good, but still, making few mistakes will get her into top ten.) To do this, she needs a really top tier coach who will work with her on strategy: learning when to pull the trigger and what shots to hit to be safe and aggressive at the same time. It's obvious that Sania spent more time practicing in her youth than actually playing: her strokes are technically solid (most of them,) but she doesn't have any instinctive sense of when to use which shot combinations. She needs to learn this.

I agree with most people that, if she has a great year, she can be top twenty, but she's not ready to be top ten, and the top ten is way too crowded now anyway.

RJWCapriati
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Definitely top 20 if she can get consistent results

rocksania
Nov 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
hope she plays sunfeast open in kolkata in 2008 season else i would be the most disappointed fan in all:D
Well anything inside 25 would be something sania would be happy and so will all her fans be bcoz she doesnt live in dreamworld and knws her limitations well and as rightly said by some of them her game is pretty one-dimensional and abt FH's so come on sania prove all of us wrong.....and sting out a surprise or two :drool:

NeeemZ
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Top 20 - 25 is achievable. Reaching Top 20 is achievable. Reaching Top 10 in 2008 will not happen.