PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic needs to play a lot of tournaments to be in the top 3

allhingis
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM
She´s the player with the most tournaments (28) played in the top 5 (whopping diference with Ivanovic, who played 20), in the top 10, she´s the second player with most tournaments (but Bartoli doesn´t even count, who played 31 tournaments). Look at Henin, who played only 15, even Maria, with an injured plagued year, is number 5 with 13 tournaments. So if JJ wants to reach number 2, she´ll have to play A LOT more!

Slumpsova
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
she does.

Aaron.
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Download the ITF Calendar Jelena :banana:

LudwigDvorak
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
From Rome 2006 to YEC 2007...

2006:
F - Los Angeles
SF - Strasbourg, US Open, Beijing, Guangzhou
QF - Rome, Rosmalen, Cincinnati, Stuttgart, Linz, Quebec City
4R - Wimbledon

2007:
W - Auckland, Charleston, Rome, Birmingham
F - Sydney, Rosmalen, Toronto, Beijing
SF - Dubai, Doha, Warsaw, Strasbourg, French Open, Los Angeles, Stuttgart
QF - Tokyo, Amelia Island, Berlin, US Open, Bali
4R - Australian Open, Indian Wells, Wimbledon

Tournament # lost prior to 4R: 11 (6 in 2006, 5 in '07).

By all means, she's maximized her talent and ability. She's done extremely well and I wouldn't have predicted a year and a half that strong for her ever. But this is a troll thread anyway, I was just bored. :o

That said, I think she's the real deal. I expect her to stay top 5 for quite some time. The tennis finally caught up to her in her final three tournaments of the year.

esquímaux
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
JJ definitely needs to endorse the quality over quantity philosophy :o

Sonf@
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM
well, it would be enough if she did ok in the certain amount of tournaments that count for the rankings ;)

but I bet she can't resist to play at least 10-12 tournaments above that limit :angel:

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
if she was mentally stronger she wouldn't have to play nearly as many. hopefully she'll be able to close out matches better :D

terjw
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
From Rome 2006 to YEC 2007...

2006:
F - Los Angeles
SF - Strasbourg, US Open, Beijing, Guangzhou
QF - Rome, Rosmalen, Cincinnati, Stuttgart, Linz, Quebec City
4R - Wimbledon

2007:
W - Auckland, Charleston, Rome, Birmingham
F - Sydney, Rosmalen, Toronto, Beijing
SF - Dubai, Doha, Warsaw, Strasbourg, French Open, Los Angeles, Stuttgart
QF - Tokyo, Amelia Island, Berlin, US Open, Bali
4R - Australian Open, Indian Wells, Wimbledon

Tournament # lost prior to 4R: 11 (6 in 2006, 5 in '07).

By all means, she's maximized her talent and ability. She's done extremely well and I wouldn't have predicted a year and a half that strong for her ever. But this is a troll thread anyway, I was just bored. :o

That said, I think she's the real deal. I expect her to stay top 5 for quite some time. The tennis finally caught up to her in her final three tournaments of the year.

Thank you for this post.

She says she will be cutting it down - and as you say - this year it all caught up with her at the end and she was a shadow of the player she was earlier.

So to answer the OP - she should forget about playing loads of tournaments for her ranking. Loads of points she earned don't count anyway she played so many.

I think the main things Jelena should concentrate on are a sensible schedule, and improving her game - particularly the serve. And not worry about rankings at all. If she can improve - and there is definitely scope for her to improve on that service for a start - then the rankings will take care of themselves.

terjw
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM
if she was mentally stronger she wouldn't have to play nearly as many. hopefully she'll be able to close out matches better :D

You know I really do feel for Jelena when she has to close out matches. All players find it difficult to close out matches. But with Jelena - it's much much harder because of that serve. Other players get nervous - but then get some free points on their serve which alleviates the pressure. JJ has to fight on every single point.

IMO The best way for her to get mentally stronger is to improve her serve so that she can get some more free points like the other top players get.

Just Do It
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Damn, we had 4683848327823545403240320 threads with the same topic.

:rolleyes:

Matt01
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Damn, we had 4683848327823545403240320 threads with the same topic.

:rolleyes:

Yes, it's getting tiresome...

Childish.

MakarovaFan
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:15 AM

Im probably reading it wrong but surely you dont mean her QUALITY of results needs to improve??? Up until her last 3 or so events her QUALITY was excellent!!!Slam Semi and Quarter;3 Tier 1 finals(won 2) another couple titles and couple finals.Semis in atleast 3 Tier 2's......

Tennisstar86
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM
WRONG.... A lot fo Her tournies dont even count....i think it was said that one of her Title wins wasnt even gonna count towards her total score.... What Jelena needs to do is rest...so she cant be rested for the Grand slams do better in them. and she wont have a problem being #2... and depending on the year Venus and Henin have being #1

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:04 AM
She's screwed if she gets injured next year... :tape:

Tenis Srbija
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM
:rolls:

Highlandman
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I don't know why they always talk about Jelena & lots of tournaments, Hantuchova also has just one tourney less than Jankovic & Bartoli like you already said also has 31 tournaments.

If she does well in her tournaments, where is the problem? :confused: In rankings are so or so just the best 17 tournaments. And it's not that Jankovic has tons of early losses.

danieln1
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Agreed!

Jakeev
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Didn't Jelena already admit she over did in 07 and was going to cut her schedule back in 08?

KennyChante4ever
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
She's screwed if she gets injured next year... :tape:

That's what I worry about the most. Her schedule is ridiculously "overbooked" that an injury is just waiting to happen. :(

Barpaw91
Dec 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
she does.

UDACHi
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM
such an original thread idea.

Expat
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:47 PM
if anything its the opposite

Volcana
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:47 PM
She´s the player with the most tournaments (28) played in the top 5 (whopping diference with Ivanovic, who played 20), in the top 10, she´s the second player with most tournaments (but Bartoli doesn´t even countOops. You lost me right there. Too bad. it looked like you were trying to make sense. Then something incredibly stupid shows up on the page, and all I can do it is point out that the statement IS stupid, then move on to the next thread.

Ah well .... real tennis is coming soon.

yolis
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Exactly :rolls:

Slumpsova
Dec 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
i'll be extremely upset if she cuts down her schedule :(

Tenis Srbija
Dec 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM
She said that in 2008. she will play less tournaments... She said that she will play only big ones...
But...we will find out soon. Skipping on Auckland is first step I guess...

yolis
Dec 27th, 2007, 06:34 PM
She said that in 2008. she will play less tournaments... She said that she will play only big ones...
But...we will find out soon. Skipping on Auckland is first step I guess...

Totally agree.
Playing so much tournaments makes her tired (as we could see in the YEC - it wasn´t true JJ) so I think she should play less tournaments...

Ian Aberdon
Dec 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
And why would THAT be, Tuna Fish? :rolleyes:

As if I didn't know...

empressionist
Dec 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
sha said in her latest statement she was cutting her schedule in 2008 in order to play better on bigger events, maybe it will be hard for her at first, she'll have to train more, but in the long run it will be better for her career...

can't wait to see her and novak at hopman cup.

she also said she worked on her fitness more, and also her serve, which is good I guess. she also said her nose is still not 100% ready, but that it will be ready in time...

Slumpsova
Dec 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
And why would THAT be, Tuna Fish? :rolleyes:

As if I didn't know...
what do YOU know about me? :rolleyes:
i wanna see her play. that's all.