PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's opinion on authograph's collection?

tenn_ace
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I never understood why fans care to collect them. Ok, for little kids it is more like a competition between each other on who gets more, but very oftern you see adults pushing each other trying to get an autograph of a tennis player (often a nobody)... Why do they need/want them?
:scratch:

If we have some posters here who do it, could you sahre your thoughts? :wavey: :wavey:

LudwigDvorak
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I don't care about autographs. A handshake and friendly greeting is what I'd like. Maybe a picture if a friend has a camera around, but pictures are for match play. Or maybe for Jankovic too since I don't think she minds her photo being taken. :lol: I know if people were asking me to take photos every day I'd get irritated. :tape:

Zauber
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Collecting anything is a challenge.
Collecting autographs yourself present an unusual challenge in the world of collecting.
Why do what we do?
Perhaps because it give us some sort of satisfaction.
Different strokes for different folks.

Yasmine
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I quite agree. Although if I have a couple that I got a while back I surely didn't spend hours waiting to get them nor did I run fast to catch a player just for it.

tenn_ace
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Collecting anything is a challenge.
Collecting autographs yourself present an unusual challenge in the world of collecting.
Why do what we do?
Perhaps because it give us some sort of satisfaction.
Different strokes for different folks.

is this really a challenge? in what way?I understand that if it comes to stamps, there is a limited number of them in circulation usually, so it is a challenge. But authographs?....

But you are probably right in saying different strokes for different folks...

sonnys
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Its good to have a signature on a picture, if you get it yourself at a tournament...Im happy with mine from both wta and atp players!!I met them and thats what the signature means!!!:drool:

Jeff
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I used to be interested in autographs when I first started attending tournaments. Now I really only have autograph tennis balls from my favorite players, and I focus on taking pictures and collecting them. I think collecting autographs is fun and just adds to the overall experience of attending a tournament. I would wait in a big crowd for Venus/Serena or Sampras or my other favorites, but also players I don't care for as much, just because it was fun to do so. On the other hand, I never did get autographs from "autograph sessions" because I didn't see the fun in that..

DutchieGirl
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM
When I was younger I used to get autographs, but now I don't. I prefer to take photo's instead (just of the players, not me together with them).

DutchieGirl
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I used to be interested in autographs when I first started attending tournaments. Now I really only have autograph tennis balls from my favorite players, and I focus on taking pictures and collecting them. I think collecting autographs is fun and just adds to the overall experience of attending a tournament. I would wait in a big crowd for Venus/Serena or Sampras or my other favorites, but also players I don't care for as much, just because it was fun to do so. On the other hand, I never did get autographs from "autograph sessions" because I didn't see the fun in that..

:lol: I went to an autograph session of Ana Ivanovic with AliciaRocks at the AO last year. I stood in line with him, and I didn't even want an autograph - I just took a couple of pics. (But he did get her autograph). ;)

Jeff
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
:lol: I went to an autograph session of Ana Ivanovic with AliciaRocks at the AO last year. I stood in line with him, and I didn't even want an autograph - I just took a couple of pics. (But he did get her autograph). ;)

Yeah you are the same as me then, cuz I will go to an autograph session with a friend so they can get the autograph and i just take a picture also :p

DutchieGirl
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah you are the same as me then, cuz I will go to an autograph session with a friend so they can get the autograph and i just take a picture also :p

I hadn't planned to go to the session though - we just happened to be walking past and saw she was there. But yeah, I wouldn't bother to get an autograph now - they would just sit in a drawer at home anyway.

Rhémila
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I collect autographs 'cause, for my, they are like memories. For example: with the FedCup tie Belgium vs China I have asked for the autographs of the Belgians. It's a kind of symbol for the fact we where so close to the players. :wavey:

~Carsten~
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I don't care about autographs.

My answer! I really give a damn about autographs!

I prefer to take photo's instead (just of the players, not me together with them).

:lol: That's the same I do! :)
I think it's nicer to have lovely smile from a Player (for example from Hantuchova or Kirilenko) on a Photo, then something written on a paper, what could be a name. :lol:

DutchieGirl
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM
:lol: That's the same I do! :)
I think it's nicer to have lovely smile from a Player (for example from Hantuchova or Kirilenko) on a Photo, then something written on a paper, what could be a name. :lol:

Yep - a nice photo is also a nice reminder - plus if you want to you can put it on the wall. :lol:

Epigone
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I don't know why I need/want them :o, but I think that this (http://img166.exs.cx/img166/1263/russianflag8cs.jpg) is pretty cool :dance:

I have never tried to collect autographs at an autograph session.

I either asked for autographs after practice/matches or went and spoke to the players (sometimes in Russian) when i saw them walking around :p

Whitehead's Boy
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
The problem is that a lot of fans cannot get an autograph of their favourite player because there are too many autograph-whores in front of them.

It must be kinda annoying for players to be asked for autographs, all the time, often by people who don't even care.

DutchieGirl
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
The problem is that a lot of fans cannot get an autograph of their favourite player because there are too many autograph-whores in front of them.

It must be kinda annoying for players to be asked for autographs, all the time, often by people who don't even care.

I hate it when people get autographs on pics and then sell it on ebay. That sucks - coz as you said, the players probably get sick of signing auto's and then real fans can miss out on the opportunity.

Highlandman
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I like autographs a lot. I think it's a nice thing, but I prefer it a lot more to get autographs with a dedication, that's more personal. Most players are very friendly in this point.

DimaDinosaur
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I thought it was a chance to molest them or at least touch the players' arms......

Highlandman
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I hate it when people get autographs on pics and then sell it on ebay. That sucks - coz as you said, the players probably get sick of signing auto's and then real fans can miss out on the opportunity.

Agree :tape: But people sometimes pay tons of money for an autograph, despite there are much easier ways.

I would never sell one of my autographs. But on almost all of my autographs is at least "To Fabi" , so...:p

DutchieGirl
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Agree :tape: But people sometimes pay tons of money for an autograph, despite there are much easier ways.

I would never sell one of my autographs. But on almost all of my autographs is at least "To Fabi" , so...:p

I know - I wouldn't pay for an autograph. But then again, if there was a really nice photo that I liked I'd probably pay for it (although not a ton of money :lol: ). I'd never sell my autographs that I have either - then again, half of the players are now retired anyway :lol: (Coetzer, Hingis, Van Roost, Capriati, Testud). ;)

Highlandman
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I know - I wouldn't pay for an autograph. But then again, if there was a really nice photo that I liked I'd probably pay for it (although not a ton of money :lol: ). I'd never sell my autographs that I have either - then again, half of the players are now retired anyway :lol: (Coetzer, Hingis, Van Roost, Capriati, Testud). ;)

Yeah, for a pic I can understand it :) Despite I paid just seldom for a pic. I'm not the photo-freak, despite I have here and there also pics with players. I like it more when it's a bit more personal.

Big names you have :D Biggest names I have an autograph from are Hingis + Kuznetsova,Jankovic,Bartoli,Ivanovic,Hantuchova and Chakvetadze from Top-10.:)
My wish is to get one by Venus :awww:, but I wanna get it with myself and I would never pay money for it. I stick to my principles :cool:

Keaka
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Never liked them too much, they seem without meaning to me... :tape:

I would lose them anyway, even on a big tennis ball... :help:

Petkorazzi
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Only Autographs I have is Seles's and Navratilovas :p

Paule22
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I have an autograph from Grönefeld on a picture that I made together with her 2 months before she signed it. It was more like, does she remember me or not. :lol: I have no clue where I put this picture.

Grönefeld :rocker2:

partbrit
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I never got to get autographs when I was young, so I do it now! I like autographed tennis balls and autographed photos I've taken of players. I have some nice ones, too.

The Daviator
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
What's the difference between an autograph and a photo? :scratch: Same thing really, I think they're fine, and have quite a few :D

tenn_ace
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know why I need/want them :o, but I think that this (http://img166.exs.cx/img166/1263/russianflag8cs.jpg) is pretty cool :dance:

I have never tried to collect autographs at an autograph session.

I either asked for autographs after practice/matches or went and spoke to the players (sometimes in Russian) when i saw them walking around :p

I guess it is ;)

Vera Z.'s looking like a 3rd grader :lol: In fact, in some cases it will probably be considered illegible :lol:

Epigone
Nov 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I guess it is ;)

Vera Z.'s looking like a 3rd grader :lol: In fact, in some cases it will probably be considered illegible :lol::haha:

Take a look at this (http://www.zvonareva.ru/main/privet.jpg) and this (http://www.zvonareva.ru/main/privet-en.jpg) :p

tenn_ace
Nov 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hahahahaha

Vera should never lose her credit cards. ;)

Max565
Nov 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I'm more into photos. I'd rather have a picture taken with a player. But then again, I don't mind getting autographs... but the only one I have (Jamie Murray's), I don't know where it is... :lol: