PDA

View Full Version : Why Serena won the Australian Open 2007?

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
In a warm-up tournament (low tier) , lost to Bammer in the QF. She was out of form, coming back from injury, a little overweight. She beat Nadia (being a set down and 3-5), Jankovic, Peer, Nicole and Maria, players she should have lost (exception was Jankovic, that was trashed by Serena) All the odds were stacked against her, her ranking was below 80 (or 70), how did she managed to win this tournament? Maybe she hit a lot of lucky shots to win, or maybe she only wins when she´s really interested and where Henin isn´t playing (exception: Miami 2007)...

The Daviator
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM
She won because no matter what her ranking is, she's still a class above most of the other players in terms of ability, hence her 7 Slam wins before Australia :p And she showed that in the 4th round and in the final where she was amazing in both matches...

She wasn't in top shape/form, which is why she had a few less than comfortable matches, but she's still a threat to win any title no matter her form/shape...

Pheobo
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
She won because she played better tennis than her opponents did.

it's really simple.

Wiggly
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
#1. She defeated 6 players.
#2. She's Serena.

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM
The question should be- "why did Serena only win the Aussie Open"
1. French Open- Played bad
2. Wimbledon- Crippled
3. Us Open- Lack of match play; and crippled

:)

Nicolás89
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
because justine didnt play? :confused:

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
In a warm-up tournament (low tier) , lost to Bammer in the QF. She was out of form, coming back from injury, a little overweight. She beat Nadia (being a set down and 3-5), Jankovic, Peer, Nicole and Maria, players she should have lost (exception was Jankovic, that was trashed by Serena) All the odds were stacked against her, her ranking was below 80 (or 70), how did she managed to win this tournament? Maybe she hit a lot of lucky shots to win, or maybe she only wins when she´s really interested and where Henin isn´t playing (exception: Miami 2007)...

why does Lindsay have 3 slams? :confused: with movement like a drunk giraffe? :haha: now that's a question. :crazy:

The Daviator
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
why does Lindsay have 3 slams? :confused: with movement like a drunk giraffe? :haha: now that's a question. :crazy:

Lindsay?

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:59 AM

No, because her shots, serve and game overall when on, are more effective than Serena´s, whos not that fast also

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
No, because her shots, serve and game overall when on, are more effective than Serena´s, whos not that fast also

ahem... 8>3
10-4
:woohoo:

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:05 AM
You have obviously never watched a tennis match of Serena :tape: . I actually don't dislike Davenport but if yo u ake make negative threads like these what do you expect :rolls: . Just stupid.

It´s not a negative thread, i just want answers why Serena won AO 2007, there´s no need to bash lindsay here

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Lindsay?

I didn´t understand also why he talked about lindsay here...

vswfan
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM

its the first time i heard serena is not fast lol
buddy, i suggest you to watch more serena matches than say she is not fast. when 1999- first 3 months of 2005 she was of the fastests

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM
It´s not a negative thread, i just want answers why Serena won AO 2007, there´s no need to bash lindsay here

LIES! :mad:

and Lindsay's a self-declared bitch so :armed:

allhingis
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:09 AM
buddy, i suggest you to watch more serena matches than say she is not fast. when 1999- first 3 months of 2005 she was of the fastests

Then she gained a lot of weight and her knee injury flared up again... but in 2004 she was slower comparing to 2003 and before.

allhingis
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM

You´re a big fat liar, Serena is the bitchest of them all, you know that, those press conferences...

The Daviator
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Lindsay's a.....?

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/7692/bitchuw9.gif

???

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM
You´re a big fat liar, Serena is the bithcest of them all, you know that, those press conferences...

Coming from a Hingis fan :o

Forehand_Volley
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Lindsay's a.....?

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/7692/bitchuw9.gif

???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that was Serena calling Henin a bitch while playing her at the 2007 US Open quarterfinals. The subsequent press conference validated her thoughts on Henin, calling Henin "lucky" and snarling at the press. In turn, prompting Oracene to accuse Henin's coach of chronically coaching form the stands, as though to give a motherly explanation of Serena's loss. The press didn't buy it, and neither did Henin, beating big sister Venus the next round.

What a great US Open. Claws drawn, and jealousy abound. I hope we get to see more of this in Australia. It made for great nighttime entertainment with popcorn in a recliner, DVR set and celebratory beer afterwards.

Effy
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
2. Wimbledon- Crippled

:hearts: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=293847

dybbuk
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM

I think that was Serena calling Henin a bitch while playing her at the 2007 US Open quarterfinals. The subsequent press conference validated her thoughts on Henin, calling Henin "lucky" and snarling at the press. In turn, prompting Oracene to accuse Henin's coach of chronically coaching form the stands, as though to give a motherly explanation of Serena's loss. The press didn't buy it, and neither did Henin, beating big sister Venus the next round.

What a great US Open. Claws drawn, and jealousy abound. I hope we get to see more of this in Australia. It made for great nighttime entertainment with popcorn in a recliner, DVR set and celebratory beer afterwards.

Your originality is startling. :yawn:

Forehand_Volley
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Your originality is startling. :yawn:
Nice Avatar.

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:32 AM

I really don't take anything that you say seriously :yawn:

iPatty
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM

Serena is not fast. Now you've heard it two times.

Forehand_Volley
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I really don't take anything that you say seriosuly becasue your just a hater loser scum bucket. :p
I try my best. But its hard to compete with someone as classy and respectful as you, Supergrunt.

We bow to your graciousness :worship:

allhingis
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Serena is not fast. Now you've heard it two times.

Serena is not fast, now he´s heard it three times! :lol: :lol:

supergrunt
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I try my best. But its hard to compete with someone as classy and respectful as you, Supergrunt.

We bow to your graciousness :worship:

omg thanks! :cool:

azinna
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Serena won in part because she felt little pressure. She was in "prove-you-wrong" mode, rather than "back-it-up." It also helps that she had a pretty long stretch, it seems, without much of an injury.

plantman
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:50 AM

:yeah:

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM

Who knows? But it was before Miami 2007, so maybe Justine could have choked also, because the divorce was still fresh in her mind...

thomas.chung
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:14 AM
ahem... 8>3
10-4
:woohoo:

Supergrunt, it doesn't have to end up being a Lindsay vs. Serena thing. It started out with Lindsay fan praising Serena why do you have to mindlessly bash Lindsay in return?

esquímaux
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I hope everyone can be healthy for AO '08. Injuries suck! :mad: Also, don't surprise us with added kilos after the offseason Serena!! If you want a bigmac, call me and I'll eat it for you :yeah:

thomas.chung
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Serena is not fast, now he´s heard it three times! :lol: :lol:

She can be fast, but until she gets into better shape and health, she will be slower than 02/03.

mykarma
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:29 AM
You´re a big fat liar, Serena is the bitchest of them all, you know that, those press conferences...
Not to get in the middle of you and Super Grunt's beef but, a Hingis fan calling another player a bitch is hysterical. :lol::lol::lol:

plantman
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Who knows? But it was before Miami 2007, so maybe Justine could have choked also, because the divorce was still fresh in her mind...

That's why A.O in "08" is going to be very interesting to say the least! :)

hingisGOAT
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Not to get in the middle of you and Super Grunt's beef but, a Hingis fan calling another player a bitch is hysterical. :lol::lol::lol:

and what has hingis done recently that makes her a bitch?

Hashim.
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM
because no one made lucky shots against her :)

LudwigDvorak
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM
What is the point in having Forehand_Volley on ignore when every post of his is replied to by someone? :mad:

The ignore function needs tweaking.

Hashim.
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM
:lol:

Watching
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM
She won because she played better than her 7 opponents in her 7 matches and gave a superb final display.

Ballbasher
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Petrova choked/Serena got a lot better in that match :tape:
Masha was injured :sad:
Jankovic was tired :p

The rest of her opponents had no chance to beat her except Peer but she lacked mental strength :angel:

No Serena's simply one of the greatest champion she doesn't need luck at all.

Watching
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM
She can be fast, but until she gets into better shape and health, she will be slower than 02/03.

People keep saying about this fitness thing. Serena was in really good shape at Rome-Wimbledon and again at YEC (despite the injury).

Henpova
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Jankovic was tired :p

The rest of her opponents had no chance to beat her except Peer but she lacked mental strength :angel:

No Serena's simply one of the greatest champion she doesn't need luck at all.

You are the only one to get it right, so far! :worship:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Because she is Serena Williams and she wanted to win so badly!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Serena was excellent , motivated , she was to win in the final but not with this result ,
cause Maria didn't play in the final well and sure Serena was at her best , but Masha was over confident , arrogant , she thought no one can beat her , I'm glad she lost that way and was injuried for months to stop being arrogant ,,,

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Serena was excellent , motivated , she was to win in the final but not with this result ,
cause Maria didn't play in the final well and sure Serena was at her best , but Masha was over confident , arrogant , she thought no one can beat her , I'm glad she lost that way and was injuried for months to stop being arrogant ,,,

I´m not glad at all that she lost that way, actually I was quite pissed... and I don´t think Maria was arrogant at that time

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
lol during that final, Sam Smith said she saw Sharapova practising the body serve and that we should expect to see it a lot. What happened? The first body serve she attempted Serena moved out of the way and smacked a forehand winner down the line on break point to go up 4-0! Ahhhh beautiful memories.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
ahhh another bashing thread....

debopero
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Because she was the best of the fortnight :D .
Why did Justine win the French?
Because she was the best of the fortnight.
Why did Venus win Wimbledon?
Because she was the best of the fortnight.

Etc.,etc.

Demska
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
She hit some lucky shots.

mykarma
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:24 PM
and what has hingis done recently that makes her a bitch?
What does recently have to do with anything? The fact remains that it's a joke for a Hingis fan to call another player a bitch.

new-york
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
That's why A.O in "08" is going to be very interesting to say the least! :)

the ao 2008 won't give us any answers about the ao 2007.

donniedarko
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Jankovic was tired

come on...i'm not a fan of Serena,Maria or almost all Wta players,but saying Masha was injured blah blah is just not wise.You and other obvioustly forgot how Serena was playing in the final.Sharapova-injured or not-could not stand a chance in that final,as well as any other player,incl Henin.That was just flawless tennis.

Hope to see great Aus.Open 2008.:lick:

cellophane
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
come on...i'm not a fan of Serena,Maria or almost all Wta players,but saying Masha was injured blah blah is just not wise.You and other obvioustly forgot how Serena was playing in the final.Sharapova-injured or not-could not stand a chance in that final,as well as any other player,incl Henin.That was just flawless tennis.

Hope to see great Aus.Open 2008.:lick:

ZZZZZZ. Okay. Are you sure you are not a Serena fan?

Nicolás89
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Serena won the australian open 2007? :speakles:

Melly Flew Us
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I´m not glad at all that she lost that way, actually I was quite pissed... and I don´t think Maria was arrogant at that time
bingo.

she was overly expectant. that is why it hurt her so much. in 2008 she will try harder and maybe win.

plantman
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
the ao 2008 won't give us any answers about the ao 2007.

Perhaps not! But should Justine win in 2008 over a healthy field, I'll take pleasure in knowing she could have done the same in 2007 had she played!:)

CJ07
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Serena had a really good draw. Petrova is a mental midget, Vaidisova is a watered down version of Venus, Jankovic was already burnt out/fodder/mental midget, Peer isn't a top player and Sharapova is a watered down version of herself.

It would have been a lot different if she had to play Justine, or similar players who could actually do something to diffuse her strengths, rather than just beat her at her own game.

danieln1
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Serena had a really good draw. Petrova is a mental midget, Vaidisova is a watered down version of Venus, Jankovic was already burnt out/fodder/mental midget, Peer isn't a top player and Sharapova is a watered down version of herself.

It would have been a lot different if she had to play Justine, or similar players who could actually do something to diffuse her strengths, rather than just beat her at her own game.

Of all the players you mentioned, Jankovic is by far the easiest player for Serena to win against, judging by her flaws, because the other ones had given Serena a lot of trouble, and are more talented than Jelena

Sean.
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Easy! She won because the force was with ehr :D

allhingis
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM
She hit some lucky shots.

Not some, but a lot of lucky shots.

Slumpsova
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
bc Justine wasn't there :tape:

jj74
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Serena won because she is a fighter and this way she can win against Peer and Vaidisova.
In the final she plays very well and benefits that Sharapova wasn't able to change her game to make her trouble

Watching
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Serena won because she is a fighter and this way she can win against Peer and Vaidisova.
In the final she plays very well and benefits that Sharapova wasn't able to change her game to make her trouble

I've never seen Sharapova change her game in the face of adversity. She stick's with what she's good at. That wasn't good enough against Serena In the Australian final, nor would anything any current player could throw at her - it was that good.

thrust
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Thats right!

Tennisaddict
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM

You're overreacting. Serena could have been beaten by Peer and Petrova but she beat the rest convincingly especially Sharapova.
Serena won because she has the talent and passion that is very rare and only happens once in a generation if you're lucky.

Sefo
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
With Sharapova in top form, she'll never win AO again.

Aaron.
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
With Sharapova in top form, she'll never win AO again. Bullshit!

in 2004 Maria won Wimbledon and YEC

2005 AO SF L. to Serena 6-2 5-7 6-8

in 2006 she won the US Open

2007 AO AO F L. to Serena 1-6 2-6

and Sharapova lost to Serena at miami too.

you guys never learn when to stop...Serena has beaten Sharapova the last 3 times they played and you still make dumb comments like with Top form Sharapova,Serena cant win

new-york
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Perhaps not! But should Justine win in 2008 over a healthy field, I'll take pleasure in knowing she could have done the same in 2007 had she played!:)

oh you need that.
i know already that she could have done it in 2007.

TO SAY that the AO 2007 doesn't really belong to Serena because Justine wasn't there is as relevant as saying that the USO 2003 isn't really Justine's because Serena wasn't there.
Or because Venus wasn't there, for the uso 2003.

as long as both tournament are treated the same way.:)

imo, you play, you win, congrats, it's your name on the trophy, without any asterisk. [/jenjen2003]

debopero
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Why can't people just except that she won? I except that other players win tournaments. I just don't understand. People complain that the WS don't give credit but here the same people are detracting form their Serena's hard earned victory :lol: .

Forehand_Volley
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Bullshit!

you guys never learn when to stop...Serena has beaten Sharapova the last 3 times they played and you still make dumb comments like with Top form Sharapova,Serena cant win
I feel your pain, but as long as the hardcore Serena fans continue to cling to injury as an excuse for all of Serena's losses, her opponent fans certainly have that same right as well.

I've said all along that over the past five years injuries have become so embedded in the fabric of the top ten that it is futile to blame injury on losses anymore.

SV_Fan
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Either way sharapova got smoked. She's been getting smked all year. I mean Ivanovic mopped the floor with her at Roland Garros. Serena exposed Sharapova's lack of movement with sharp angles. Venus wasin the zone when she gave her the boot. And the best 2 of the year Her loosing 6-2 in the 3rd to radswanka, and The Biggy 6-1 6-1 smash she got at Miami.

Aaron.
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I feel your pain, but as long as the hardcore Serena fans continue to cling to injury as an excuse for all of Serena's losses, her opponent fans certainly have that same right as well.

I've said all along that over the past five years injuries have become so embedded in the fabric of the top ten that it is futile to blame injury on losses anymore. Some serena fans are not the same I dont say Serena lost because she was injured :confused:

Serena has won two of the biggest tournaments this year including a GS qualifing for the YEC and people are still saying this crap Serena only won because Justine wasnt there but Serena beat her at the Miami final too :help:

new-york
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM

no, you don't fight against biased logics with biased logics.
or you have take some responsibility for the global bad reasoning.

Sefo
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Bullshit!

In 2005 AO SF Maria had 3 or 4 MP and then she lost the match. IT's a focus problem I think she had, just like in IW against Lindsay (0-6 0-6).

In 2007 she's been beat by two teenagers she should've put away, so losing 61 62 and 61 61 to Serena is just normal. So bad the injury was!

GrafMariaPetraK
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Because serena was to good that day and had alot of lucky shots:lol:

plantman
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:00 AM
oh you need that.
i know already that she could have done it in 2007.

TO SAY that the AO 2007 doesn't really belong to Serena because Justine wasn't there is as relevant as saying that the USO 2003 isn't really Justine's because Serena wasn't there.
Or because Venus wasn't there, for the uso 2003.

as long as both tournament are treated the same way.:)

imo, you play, you win, congrats, it's your name on the trophy, without any asterisk. [/jenjen2003]

Did I say that? :confused:

Serenidad.
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM
You can add AO 2004 also to that list of "asterik" slams.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM
:rolleyes:

-VSR-
Nov 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Serena won because she rose the level of her game after every round. She played with passion, intensity and with her heart. She played her game and did what she needed to do to win. When she got to the final her game was just incredible, no one was going to stop her. She earned the title and she's got it. Let it go people.

StarDuvallGrant
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Just as hardcore Justine fans cling to Justine 'choking' when she loses to Serena. You can't have it both ways.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Strike 1...try again baby..because she beat Henin in Miami...and that wasnt too far off from Aus...Serena was just simply playing better at the beginning of the year...she fell off as the year went on..due to lack of play and injury. The way Serena was playin she would have beat Henin...because she straight up killed Sharapova...Serena was out there playing for her sister who passed...NOBODY was going to beat her that day.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
2. Wimbledon- Crippled

I like that :worship: My thoughts exactly!!!!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Strike 1...try again baby..because she beat Henin in Miami...and that wasnt too far off from Aus...Serena was just simply playing better at the beginning of the year...she fell off as the year went on..due to lack of play and injury. The way Serena was playin she would have beat Henin...because she straight up killed Sharapova...Serena was out there playing for her sister who passed...NOBODY was going to beat her that day.

Here's the answer, the thread can be closed now!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I think it's funny that people STILL claim Serena wouldn't have won the Australian had Justine been there. Serena beat Justine at Miami this year playing TERRIBLY, you honestly don't think Serena could've beaten Justine the way she was playing in the final? Pfft. Reality check people.

new-york
Nov 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Did I say that? :confused:

yeah not exactly.

i just feel like saying that Serena won because Justine wasn't there is the same thing.

maybe that's just me.

allhingis
Nov 27th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I think it's funny that people STILL claim Serena wouldn't have won the Australian had Justine been there. Serena beat Justine at Miami this year playing TERRIBLY, you honestly don't think Serena could've beaten Justine the way she was playing in the final? Pfft. Reality check people.

Serena wasn´t playing badly, Justine just outplayed and overpowered Serena until 0-6 4-5, that match should have been 6-0, 6-4 if Justine hadn not choked, but now Justine is winning again, so this should not be a problem anymore

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Serena wasn´t playing badly, Justine just outplayed and overpowered Serena until 0-6 4-5, that match should have been 6-0, 6-4 if Justine hadn not choked, but now Justine is winning again, so this should not be a problem anymore

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...:yawn:

Tennisation
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:21 AM
2. Wimbledon- Crippled

:)I have a different argument for that:
1. French Open - ran into the best player this year
2. Wimbledon - ran into the best player this year
3. US Open - ran into the best player this year

Watching
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I have a different argument for that:

1. French Open - ran into the best player on clay and didn't come with a good strategy.
2. Wimbledon - had many injuries and still took Henin to 3 sets, would have won without injuries.
3. US Open - lack of matchplay and Henin played alot better.

serenus_2k8
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
1. French Open - ran into the best player on clay and didn't come with a good strategy.
2. Wimbledon - had many injuries and still took Henin to 3 sets, would have won without injuries.
3. US Open - lack of matchplay and Henin played alot better.

I agree, no shame in losing at RG because Henin is amazing on clay.

Wimb I feel without the injury she should have had that but I dont mind since Venus won anyways :angel:

US Open I just never got the feeling her heart was there really...I dont know why. Im probs wrong but it felt to me like she didnt enjoy being there at all, and Henin outplayed her.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I have a different argument for that:

So what your argument when she met the best player this year in Miami?

serena_venus4eva
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM
beacause of her fighting spirit and she was improving in each round

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM

What does this have to do with why Serena won the AO '07? :confused:

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Then why did Serena win Miami '07?

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
because no one made lucky shots against her :)

I guess Justine didn't have any lucky shots at Miami either. She tried her little injury time out trick and talking to Carlos, but none of that worked that day, did it. I'm surprised she didn't retire with a tummy ache.

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
What is the point in having Forehand_Volley on ignore when every post of his is replied to by someone? :mad:

The ignore function needs tweaking.

:lol: Good thing for me, no one ever replies to plantman. :lol:

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM
You are the only one to get it right, so far! :worship:

I thought this wasn't a negative thread.

Mrs. Peel
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Imagine if I came up on your job and told you you were no good, you were no longer capable of getting the job done (no matter how awesome you have been in the past). Let me throw in a few below the belt attacks on your weight and appearance...you are fat and ugly, etc. What would you do be a chump and lay down and die or be a professional and try your hardest to prove me wrong?

The whole two weeks she had to endure speculation on her weight, her fitness and abilities. People blatantly proclaimed her to lose every round she advanced to because she was "fat and out of shape"...the poor girl couldn't escape the comments. Serena is a professional. She showed tremendous grit and mettle to win the AO. She had the spirit and fire to prove everyone wrong. She didn't give up like most people would. I think that is why she won.

pigmalion
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
It bores me when someone calls Justine's victories into question , so I won't call into question Serena's ones. She won the Australian Open because she was the best, period. :worship:

Matt01
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:43 PM
She won the Australian Open because she was the best, period. :worship:

Exactly.

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM

I've said all along that over the past five years injuries have become so embedded in the fabric of the top ten that it is futile to blame injury on losses anymore.

:scratch: Why is it futile if it's a fact? You can't discount the facts in any situation. I don't know what you consider "hardcore Serena fans", but I'm assuming those fans who defend her and don't cowtow and concede to the bullshit some fans of other players spew. It's not a matter of clinging to anything. A fact is a fact.

But, if we can't say that she was injured when Justine beat her, then you can't say that Justine choked when she lost to Serena.

Denise4925
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Imagine if I came up on your job and told you you were no good, you were no longer capable of getting the job done (no matter how awesome you have been in the past). Let me throw in a few below the belt attacks on your weight and appearance...you are fat and ugly, etc. What would you do be a chump and lay down and die or be a professional and try your hardest to prove me wrong?

The whole two weeks she had to endure speculation on her weight, her fitness and abilities. People blatantly proclaimed her to lose every round she advanced to because she was "fat and out of shape"...the poor girl couldn't escape the comments. Serena is a professional. She showed tremendous grit and mettle to win the AO. She had the spirit and fire to prove everyone wrong. She didn't give up like most people would. I think that is why she won.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

doni1212
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

DaMamaJama87
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM
She won because when she turns it on, she's the best in the world. Period.

But I'm sure everyone already knew that. They're just trying to believe different.

cellophane
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM
She won because when she turns it on, she's the best in the world. Period.

But I'm sure everyone already knew that. They're just trying to believe different.

Serena? (is that you?)

plantman
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM

LIAR.....You do!:lol:

StarDuvallGrant
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM

I think so too.

KennyChante4ever
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Why is your phrasing so negative? Maybe you don't realize it??

Well to answer the question, Serena won because she was motivated to do so, had the talent to overcome the lack of preparation and the ability to intimidate and outplay all those players you mentioned who should've beaten her.

saniapower
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM
1) Sharapova's poor serve :lol:
2) Serena's determination :hatoff:
3) Henin's absence :shrug:

Denise4925
Nov 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
1) Sharapova's poor serve :lol:
2) Serena's determination :hatoff:
3) Henin's absence :shrug:

Same must have been true in 2003 and 2004 when Justine was winning GS and Serena and Venus were not playing.

Forehand_Volley
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
:scratch: Why is it futile if it's a fact? You can't discount the facts in any situation. I don't know what you consider "hardcore Serena fans", but I'm assuming those fans who defend her and don't cowtow and concede to the bullshit some fans of other players spew. It's not a matter of clinging to anything. A fact is a fact.

But, if we can't say that she was injured when Justine beat her, then you can't say that Justine choked when she lost to Serena.
I don't recall ever stating that Henin choked when she lost to Serena in Miami. Serena was just one "lucky bitch" that day.

Injuries in the WTA today are an inherent part of the sport, moreso than in the '70's, '80's, and '90's. The difference being that when a player walked on-court in the '70's, '80's and '90's ready to play, they were presumed fit-to-play (regardless of their real injury status) and didn't complain after the completion of the match that injury was the cause of the loss. When players from that era stepped on court, they accepted the responsibility of their decision to play. That's not true today, as seen in the later rounds of this years US Open. The excuse-o-rama was in full force.

Professional tennis players like other professional athletes play with injuries all the time. Its a relatively newer concept in tennis this decade to show-up on-court injured (happened all the time in previous decades) and blame the injury after losing.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Same must have been true in 2003 and 2004 when Justine was winning GS and Serena and Venus were not playing.

No denise...they will hate on you for using that reasoning and then use that same reasoning themselves :)

Xander
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Guts. The kind that Serena has demonstrated time and time again. :)

pigam
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
It bores me when someone calls Justine's victories into question , so I won't call into question Serena's ones. She won the Australian Open because she was the best, period. :worship:

agreed!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
agreed!!

:hug: as usual i love pigam :)

Barpaw91
Dec 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I didn´t understand also why he talked about lindsay here...

Melly Flew Us
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:48 AM
bingo.

she was overly expectant. that is why it hurt her so much. in 2008 she will try harder and maybe win.

i'm so proud of myself, now i can join the ranks of the many psychics on this board. all donations to any charities helping in darfur.

Renalicious
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Because she's an effin legend. :D

slamchamp
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Serena? (is that you?)
or supergrunt?

PatrickRyan
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM
her heart :)