PDA

View Full Version : Should Hingis pay back prize money ?

volvo
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM
If it is true that Hingis took doping so she will be fined and pay back all prize money. How big money should it be ? I do not know the rule for this. Please info.

top_playerfann
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
She shouldn't !

Nicolás89
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
:weirdo:

why she should pay back all her prize money, even if she took cocaine that doesnt mean she was doped and on all her matches all these years.

Chris 84
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Cocaine doesn't enhance performance. If anything it is more likely to damage performance, so of course she shouldn't have to pay back any prize money.

égalité
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Please :lol: Cocaine is probably a performance suppressant so she should be given more prize money. :haha:

Pasta-Na
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:09 AM
leave her alone :( she is having a problem right now... :crying2: :p

plantman
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Please :lol: Cocaine is probably a performance suppressant so she should be given more prize money. :haha:

Agreed!:haha: :haha:

Donny
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Medical and Recreational Uses: Minor use as a topical local anesthetic for ear, nose and throat surgery. Traditionally, the coca leaves are chewed or brewed into a tea for refreshment and to relieve fatigue. Recreationally, cocaine is u sed to increase alertness, relieve fatigue, feel stronger and more decisive, and is abused for its intense euphoric effects.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/PEOPLE/injury/research/job185drugs/cocain.htm

Black stevedores had discovered that cocaine enabled them to work harder, for longer, on less food

http://books.google.com/books?id=t-GWy1bdBtAC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=cocaine+stevedores&source=web&ots=yc1l3dY9t1&sig=O6P1KPdXjLOWF--xCRjPM79uh0Q

Repeat a lie often enough...

HeninFan_2008
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Leave Hingis alone. This is a frame-job and this injustice can't stand!

plantman
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:37 AM
ADA...Division of Alcohol and Drug AbuseCocaine's recent notoriety belies the fact that the drug has been used as a stimulant by people for thousands of years. Its properties as a stimulant have led people in the past to use it in a number of patent medicines and even in soft drinks.
But cocaine's highly addictive nature and addicts' willingness to pay a high price for the drug have propelled it into the public eye. The crime and violence associated with its transportation and sale, and the celebrity nature of some of its victims has kept cocaine in the news.

In its pure form, cocaine is a white crystalline powder extracted from the leaves of the South American coca plant. On the street, pure cocaine is diluted or "cut" with other substances to increase the quantity, and thereby increase the profits of its sellers.

Cocaine users most often inhale the powder sharply through the nose, where it is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. But it also can be heated into a liquid and its fumes inhaled through a pipe in a method called "freebasing". Freebasing is also a common method of using a form of cocaine called "crack". Crack resembles small pieces of rock and is often called "rock" on the street.

Freebasing is an especially dangerous means of abusing cocaine because of the high concentrations of cocaine it introduces into the bloodstream. These high doses can overtax the cardiovascular system. Reports of sudden death while freebasing are not uncommon.

Cocaine is highly addictive, especially in the crack form. In studies, animals addicted to cocaine preferred the drug to food, even when it meant they would starve. Many users report being "hooked" after only one use. The addiction is both psychological and physical.

Symptoms

Users usually feel an initial "rush" or sense of well-being, of having more energy, and being more alert. This effect quickly wears off, often leaving the user feeling more "down" or depressed than before. This down feeling leads the addict to use more cocaine, sometimes just to feel "normal." Over a period of time the, amount of cocaine needed and the frequency of use to achieve a "high" have to be increased. Feelings of depression can become chronic.

Cocaine addicts frequently turn to other drugs to relieve the down feeling when more cocaine is not available. When used together, these drugs and cocaine can prove even more deadly than when used alone.

Despite a popular myth, cocaine does not enhance performance whether it be on the job, in sports, at school, or with a sexual partner. On the contrary, long-term use can lead to loss of concentration, irritability, loss of memory, paranoia, loss of energy, anxiety, and a loss of interest in sex. The controlling effect cocaine has on an addict's life can lead to exclusion of all other facets of life. A habit can cost an addict thousands of dollars a week to maintain.

Breaking a cocaine habit is not easy. How long and how difficult a task it may be varies from person to person. Treatment can be costly and the craving for cocaine may persist for long periods of time.

There's always another side to an issue! :)

HeninFan_2008
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:38 AM
BTW, Hingis denies ever inhaling cocaine. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

darrinbaker00
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Cocaine doesn't enhance performance. If anything it is more likely to damage performance, so of course she shouldn't have to pay back any prize money.
If Martina Hingis is found guilty of a doping offense as a result of her positive test at Wimbledon, she will lose the ranking points she won there and she will have to forfeit whatever prize money she won there.

plantman
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:43 AM
BTW, Hingis denies ever inhaling cocaine. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Welcome Justine Fan!:) You're absolutely correct. People should step back and let the situation play itself out. In time hopefully the truth comes out!

Ryan
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Oh no, so if she is found guilty she'll lose ranking points that dont exist an 1/1000000th or her money from endorsements and tennis career? :rolleyes: Im sure Martina is more worried about being labeled a coke user then losing $40 grand.

danieln1
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Stupid useless thread, leave Martina alone... pay back money, of all jokes that appeared about Hingis using cocaine, this is by far the worst

SvetaPleaseWin.
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM
shes failed a drugs test-therefore she should lose her money

but lets face it-its not gonna make a difference to her
shes made loads of moolah over her career-shes had a crap year, if she loses the money she made she'll be annoyed but that will be her pride and thats it

Billabong
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Indeed, cocaine does give you a momentary boost of energy, but this boost is all about the feeling of euphoria and it certainly doesn't help your tennis in any way (especially when your game is all about tactics, balance and thinking on the court), let alone the huge down afterwards and the addictive need to sniff again.

If she really tested positive in Wimbledon and can't prove her innocence (we're still waiting for news or words from the anti-doping authorities, I think it's very odd that already 1 month has passed since the scandal and 5 months since Wimbledon and no official news have been released), I guess she might have to give her money back, but as she reached only the third round, it's peanuts for her... To save her image and reputation is much more of a concern right now, and for that she has to clear her name (if she's innocent of course).

mckyle.
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Definitely. Paying the money back would be good for her. Less money for her to spend on hardcore drugs :)

Filip!
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:50 AM
yes.

chuvack
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:13 AM
she will have to pay back not just Wimbledon prize money but all money that she got at tournaments afterward.

gopher
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Could be problematic if a lot of money already went to her dealer...
let us hope that she does not end up like Sophie Anderton.

bie
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
OMG she isn't even found guilty and you're already fining her.http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/crazy.gif
Why not wait and see what will be the outcome first. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/knipoog.gif

pooh14
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:48 AM
if hingis was found guilty (she is still innocent right now), yes, her prize money won for wimbledon need to be returned and she would probably be ban for 2 years even though she is retired.

mckyle.
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Innocent = not failing drug tests

Guilty = failing two drug tests

Give it up, people.

Pasta-Na
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Give it up, people.

maybe u were the one to do the drug test on her? :shrug: :help: :scared:

Hashim.
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM
:spit::o

felipe2004
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think she would only have to give back prize money from Wimbledon 2007 on, so that's only Wimbledon 3rd round, Beijing QF and USO 3rd round or something? I'm sure she isn't gonna be bothered too much about it! :p

Ryan
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Give it up, people.

I hope you never go into law. :rolleyes:

Demska
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Absolutely.

Keaka
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
:haha:

no

Forehand_Volley
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Leave Hingis alone. This is a frame-job and this injustice can't stand!
I find it hard to believe that the Tennis Mafia Cabal decided that it was time for Martina Hingis to exit the game. They must have had a hand in Seles' downfall as well if that's the case.

Don't fuck with Steffi Graf. That's the ultimate message being sent here and you know it.
See how weird it all sounds???

Billie Jean King had the gall to say she thought that Hingis somehow absorbed it into her skin at a party. Billie Jean was right in some way. The mirror reflected the coke being transported up the straw and into the sinus cavity. That's how it got into her skin.

Martina doesn't owe the sport of tennis anything except an explanation and apology of how one of its greats of the Open Era immediately retires after testing positive for cocaine. Sorry, but I refuse to believe any conspiracy theory related to some mysterious dark force that snuck cocaine into Hingis' drink. That type of plausible denial on Hingis' part defies logic.

Some of the best-known politicians and professionals in our society are/were drug abusers. Hell, most of the original Apple and Microsoft folks were dope-smoking hippies. Its not so far-fetched that a high-profile tennis professional whose known to be very social might have a couple of toots on the eve of the 10th anniversary celebrating her first win at Wimbledon.

For you Martina, 'cause you still rock, whether you tooted or not!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

And while I'm at it, I would like to say, shame on the ITF, the USTA, WTA and every participant in this fourm for not taking a tougher stance on Hingis, when Jennifer Capriati was shunned by the tennis world during her youthful indiscretions. Martina is an adult woman for goodness sakes and knew better.

thrust
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
No!

goldenlox
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I'm against giving back money. Whether it's Martina or Sesil. A suspension is more than enough punishment.
Careers are short in tennis.

donniedarko
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Why she should give back money?She didn;t took anything,and if she took cocaine, her tennis results would have been much much worse.Anyone on cocaine would not be able to hit the ball,move on the court...

This thread is so stupid as is it's starter:lol:

jawadde
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Why should she give back her prize money?? The effect of Coke is gone after 30 minutes..

Or maybe someone has noticed suspicious toiletbreaks :dance:

shrOOf
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yes.

mckyle.
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I hope you never go into law. :rolleyes:

:lol: So foolish :help:

By the "law", if you fail drug test, you go back to jail or get probation.

*JR*
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM
If Martina Hingis is found guilty of a doping offense as a result of her positive test at Wimbledon, she will lose the ranking points she won there and she will have to forfeit whatever prize money she won there.
Correct, and then some. Under the WADA Code, she'd have to return all prize money from that event and all others afterwards. (Unless they really didn't tell her or her management until mid-September, then maybe she keeps what she earned inbetween).

But much as I like Marti, I find that part of her story hard to believe. (For example, Sesil was informed of the positive test for nandrolone soon after they also got a positive on the "B sample"). If the thread asked should Marti have to, I could see the relevance of all the opinions ITT.

But the question seems to suggest that she has any choice in the matter as things stand now. She doesn't, retired or not. In fact, Marion Jones was not only stripped of all medals won since around 2000 the other day, but ordered to repay her prize money (though she's nearly broke, and I guess will file for bankruptcy instead).

Nicolás89
Nov 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
:lol: So foolish :help:

By the "law", if you fail drug test, you go back to jail or get probation.

drug tests could be easily manipulated, therefore the law has to investigate if the drug testers are corrupt or negligent or have any relationship with the atlhete and comprobate a lot of other influensive stuff, if everyone who fail a drug test must go to jail then all laboratories or drug testers could send to jail any athlete they want :shrug:

terjw
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:03 PM
drug tests could be easily manipulated, therefore the law has to investigate if the drug testers are corrupt or negligent or have any relationship with the atlhete and comprobate a lot of other influensive stuff, if everyone who fail a drug test must go to jail then all laboratories or drug testers could send to jail any athlete they want :shrug:

I wouldn't want to be so blunt as to accuse the testers of being corrupt or negligent.

But there is certainly no way Martina or any other athlete is going to jail or even face prosecution in a court of law as a result of a drugs test many months ago now. First of all - the emphasis as far as criminal convictions are concerned - is on convicting the drugs pushers but drug rehab programs for people who are drug addicts. And that's only going to be for people who admit they have a problem or who are caught in the act - not with someone who doesn't admit to it but is just found with traces in a blood sample.

And no - I do not think she should be required to give back prize money or be stripped of any results since it is not a performance enhancing drug - quite the reverse in fact.

Nicolás89
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't want to be so blunt as to accuse the testers of being corrupt or negligent.

I wouldnt either, but the law has to be sure on any case. :)

Steffica Greles
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Well, first of all I don't understand why cocaine is banned if it is not performance enhancing. In that light, no, Martina should not pay back her prize money, because she did not cheat. I do think Hingis probably took cocaine, and I also think she's a liar for denying it, but I do not think that Hingis is a cheat. She has more respect for the game and her fellow competitors than that.

However, if it can be explained why cocaine is banned, and I am happy with the explanation, then yes, she should pay back her prize money. Rules are rules, and they must be observed. All players who have tested positive for drugs have experienced the same treatment.

Forehand_Volley
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Every professional athlete that tests positive for illegal drugs immediately denies it. Marion Jones, Barry Bonds, Floyd Landis, etc. etc. However, most professional athletes that test positive eventually confess.

The ardent fan of the professional athlete that tests positive is always in a perpetual state of denial initially, hoping that there is some illogical excuse for objective drug testing which proves their guilt. In reality, Hingis is one of the most beloved tennis professionals since returning from retirement and it would be an irrational and illogical throught process to assert that someone purposefully "slipped something into her drink" or had an axe to grind with her enough to falsify her drug test results.

What's at stake for the professional athlete is the endorsement money they've enjoyed while portraying themselves as a clean and wholesome character. Of course they will deny drug use. Of course they will embrace conspiracy theories that some higher authority is attempting to ruin their careers. Its all part of their PR machines systematic paranoia in an attempt to save their endorsement deals which yields them millions of dollars and fans worldwide.

Whatever happened to honor and respect? To admit you have a problem, get help and try to be the best person and athlete one could possibly be? Its all tossed out the window when there's money involved. They'd much rather toss their fans off the train embracing conspiracy theories than lose the money and lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

What's made me respect Hingis less is her inability to admit she made a mistake and make amends. Instead, she ran...by way of retirement, proclaiming her innocence without one logical explanation why she tested positive. Just like she ran off-court after her loss to Graf at the '99 French Open final.

Grow-up Martina. Accept responsibility for your actions and stop lying to your fans about your substance abuse problems.

Nicolás89
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Every professional athlete that tests positive for illegal drugs immediately denies it. Marion Jones, Barry Bonds, Floyd Landis, etc. etc. However, most professional athletes that test positive eventually confess.

The ardent fan of the professional athlete that tests positive is always in a perpetual state of denial initially, hoping that there is some illogical excuse for objective drug testing which proves their guilt. In reality, Hingis is one of the most beloved tennis professionals since returning from retirement and it would be an irrational and illogical throught process to assert that someone purposefully "slipped something into her drink" or had an axe to grind with her enough to falsify her drug test results.

What's at stake for the professional athlete is the endorsement money they've enjoyed while portraying themselves as a clean and wholesome character. Of course they will deny drug use. Of course they will embrace conspiracy theories that some higher authority is attempting to ruin their careers. Its all part of their PR machines systematic paranoia in an attempt to save their endorsement deals which yields them millions of dollars and fans worldwide.

Whatever happened to honor and respect? To admit you have a problem, get help and try to be the best person and athlete one could possibly be? Its all tossed out the window when there's money involved. They'd much rather toss their fans off the train embracing conspiracy theories than lose the money and lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

What's made me respect Hingis less is her inability to admit she made a mistake and make amends. Instead, she ran...by way of retirement, proclaiming her innocence without one logical explanation why she tested positive. Just like she ran off-court after her loss to Graf at the '99 French Open final.

Grow-up Martina. Accept responsibility for your actions and stop lying to your fans about your substance abuse problems.

oh no no no no, I support Martina on everything, though I do think she did had taken cocaine at some point during wimbledon, also I think she has the right to prove she is innocent.
and martina does not need anymore money, she is safe economically for life.
and taking cocaine during two weeks doesnt make you an addict, and since she hasnt failed anymore for controls since wimbledon theres no reason to prove she is a drug addict.
but as I think your post was made with the clear intention of agitated waters I wont make an argument about you childish, arrogant, non-doped-cheaters supporter self. :)

Forehand_Volley
Nov 25th, 2007, 12:46 AM
oh no no no no, I support Martina on everything, though I do think she did had taken cocaine at some point during wimbledon, also I think she has the right to prove she is innocent.
and martina does not need anymore money, she is safe economically for life.
and taking cocaine during two weeks doesnt make you an addict, and since she hasnt failed anymore for controls since wimbledon theres no reason to prove she is a drug addict.
but as I think your post was made with the clear intention of agitated waters I wont make an argument about you childish, arrogant, non-doped-cheaters supporter self. :)
Athlete's have been using varied techniques to subvert drug testing since they began testing for performance enhancing drugs. Technology and testing methods have had to keep up with those who try to subvert drug testing. Just as chronic drug users have been using varied techniques to subvert drug testing for pre-employment and random testing:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4934

I think its very illogical to think that an athlete that tests positive for the use of cocaine hasn't at some point in the past attempted to subvert or hide their use in some way. At least in Martina's case, had she admitted that she tried cocaine for the first time and that's the reason for the positive drug test, I might have believed that. But she denied ever using it. Its likely it wasn't her first or last time for using cocaine, considering her denial ever using it to begin with while testing positive for the substance.

Nicolás89
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
great work searching for an article that gives tips to past drug tests, but did you even reading it? the article says nothing about cocaine users but pot users,and those tips can easily be discovered by any professionals drug testers.

diluted urine in water?, can be detected, like the article says drug testers will ask for another sample not diluted on water, even if the urine sample looks completely yellow and not suspicious they will know if its watered.
diuretics?, are not really a good technique to past, you have to quit smoking at least one week if you are an addict.
substitute urine samples?, of course can be detected, humans have different adn.

Mike_T
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Not sure about the money, but she should give that poor horse its teeth back.

Ryan
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Not sure about the money, but she should give that poor horse its teeth back.

Considering you live in England thats like the pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

Steffica Greles
Nov 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Considering you live in England thats like the pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

LOL, yes that's right, we all have terrible teeth over here. See, we don't have the same provision for dental care as you Americans.

;)

:devil:

plantman
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM
LOL, yes that's right, we all have terrible teeth over here. See, we don't have the same provision for dental care as you Americans.

;)

2 things that may help.....TOOTHBRUSH & FLOSS

Meghanns Journey
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM
If it is true that Hingis took doping so she will be fined and pay back all prize money. How big money should it be ? I do not know the rule for this. Please info.

:weirdo:

Ryan
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM

;)

My only experience of British people is Wimbledon and Coronation Street. Case closed. :p

Melly Flew Us
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM
My only experience of British people is Wimbledon and Coronation Street. Case closed. :p

the fluoride generation generally have good teeth, thank you very much.