PDA

View Full Version : why does wtatour.com give a wrong pronounciation of Maria Sharapova's surname?

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Its one thing for the nearly illitterate American commentators like Carillo and McEnnroe to say "Shara-PO-va, but WTA also list such pronounciation on official wta site as well. Most people in Europe knows that this name must be pronounced like "Sha-RA-po-va (and Sha-RA-pov for Yuri).

So Disrespectful
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Maybe that's the western way of pronouncing a Russian name?

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe that's the western way of pronouncing a Russian name?

I see your point but its just a wrong pronounciation, period. Why not pronounce the name correctly, it isnt that hard. Especially since Masha is trying so hard to remain Russian (or so she claims) she could at least keep the Russian pronounciation of her name instead of letting the Americans to decide it.

goldenlox
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Maria pronounces her name Shara PO va. She said that on No Strings, a tv show.

LDF
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Nearly all of the UK commentators prounounce it 'Sha-ra-PO-va' too :shrug:

And actually, whenever I've heard Maria say her surname she says 'Sha-ra-PO-va' as well...

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
A mod is going wild in this thread deleting posts.

maybe sweet cleo has a moderator password or something that allow "her" to delete the post of other posters? Its very odd.

goldenlox
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
I don't know, but I've been here since 2003, and this is the first time I've seen this.
I've seen threads get closed, but I've never seen specific topic in a thread just disappear.

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I don't know, but I've been here since 2003, and this is the first time I've seen this.
I've seen threads get closed, but I've never seen specific topic in a thread just disappear.

do you think is it possible that our accounts got hacked?

goldenlox
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
No. If mine got hacked, I would go straight to Steve, and get it all deleted.
Some mod just decided to delete several posts.

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
No. If mine got hacked, I would go straight to Steve, and get it all deleted.
Some mod just decided to delete several posts.

I guess the mod just happened to be sitting in this thread then? The posts was deleated nearly instantly.

back to topic, Masha certainly does not pronounce her name incorrectly when in Russia. So it seem she is keeping 2 pronounciations of her name, one for the Americans and the correct one for the Russians.

partbrit
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
I can answer this question: Maria became so frustrated at the thought of getting people (especially Americans, I would imagine) to pronounce her name correctly (Sha ROP o vah), that she went ahead and changed the pronunciation. I remember being very disappointed when she did this. I wish the players would demand that their names be pronounced correctly instead of caving. And nothing irritates me more than hearing highly-paid commentators complain that it is "hard" to pronounce a name. Chris Myers always acts like he should get a medal if he gets a name right. And Pam Shriver once lit into a player with a lot of sarcasm because she dared to correct Shriver's pronunciation of her name.

cellophane
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Maria herself asked to pronounce it that way even when someone asked her about it...

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
I can answer this question: Maria became so frustrated at the thought of getting people (especially Americans, I would imagine) to pronounce her name correctly (Sha ROP o vah), that she went ahead and changed the pronunciation. I remember being very disappointed when she did this. I wish the players would demand that their names be pronounced correctly instead of caving. And nothing irritates me more than hearing highly-paid commentators complain that it is "hard" to pronounce a name. Chris Myers always acts like he should get a medal if he gets a name right. And Pam Shriver once lit into a player with a lot of sarcasm because she dared to correct Shriver's pronunciation of her name.

agreed, it wouldnt seem too much to ask that these American commentators learn to properly pronounce the names of the leading Russian and other foreign players. They only in the last year begun to pronounce "DeMENtieva" correctly, they always pronounced it "De-men-ti-YAY-va for years. Not to mention they mis-pronounce her first name too.

Who was the player that correct Shriver about her name pronounciation, and does Shriver now get it right?

rockstar
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
most commentators and fans slaughter most european/asian/whatever names anyway...

partbrit
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Who was the player that correct Shriver about her name pronounciation, and does Shriver now get it right?

It was Claudine Schaul. Apparently, she had gotten tired of having her name mispronounced, so she had sent a message, either to the network or to the commentators' booth, explaining how to pronounce it. Shriver was in the booth with Cliff Drysdale, who said "Bear with us--we're used to pronouncing it a different way." It's one syllable, for god's sake! How hard is it? But he continued to mispronounce her name throughout the match. Shriver, at one point, said--dripping with sarcasm--"Schaul (wrong pronunciation), or Schaul (right pronunciation), however you want us to pronounce it." Sarcasm aside, she knew perfectly well how Claudine wanted her to pronounce it.

They continued this way for the remainder of the match. So I guess that players learned what happens if you have the nerve to ask that your name be pronounced correctly.

Since we don't see Claudine Schaul anymore, I don't know how Shriver would pronounce her name, but I can make a good guess.

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
It was Claudine Schaul. Apparently, she had gotten tired of having her name mispronounced, so she had sent a message, either to the network or to the commentators' booth, explaining how to pronounce it. Shriver was in the booth with Cliff Drysdale, who said "Bear with us--we're used to pronouncing it a different way." It's one syllable, for god's sake! How hard is it? But he continued to mispronounce her name throughout the match. Shriver, at one point, said--dripping with sarcasm--"Schaul (wrong pronunciation), or Schaul (right pronunciation), however you want us to pronounce it." Sarcasm aside, she knew perfectly well how Claudine wanted her to pronounce it.

They continued this way for the remainder of the match. So I guess that players learned what happens if you have the nerve to ask that your name be pronounced correctly.

Since we don't see Claudine Schaul anymore, I don't know how Shriver would pronounce her name, but I can make a good guess.

its too bad Caludine didnt get the chance to have an interview on court so she could tell Shriver where to stick it. But in fairness for a player who appear only a few times in their career on telecasts, I can see how it would be hard to pronounce all those names.

"Schaul" is pronounced how?

Deck
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
because it's wtatour.com

they suck big style related to all possible stuff

pav
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Similar to the Kournikova story,when asked didn't she say she just gave up and went with it? I think they are informed that the U.S.A. is such a large area to cash in on by their agents, to humour the buggers! Let's face it many Americans butcher the pronunciation of the word "and" turning it into a gap filler at the end of a sentence and it comes out as a two syllable word sounding like "ayand"
I'd like to stick another syllable in "sheep":fiery:

cypher_88
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
what really bothers me is when the name is mutilated even in writing in some countries....:mad:

in Romanian for example, Youzhny becomes Iujnai.. :(. not to mention the Polish versions of names.

Yonexforever
Nov 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Its one thing for the nearly illitterate American commentators like Carillo and McEnnroe to say "Shara-PO-va, but WTA also list such pronounciation on official wta site as well. Most people in Europe knows that this name must be pronounced like "Sha-RA-po-va (and Sha-RA-pov for Yuri).

The cave in to Western/American pronunciation goes way back.
I dont think anyone even bothers to correct Nav ra til OVA any more do they?
Based on what I understand it should be Nav ra TIL ova.. no?

partbrit
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
"Schaul" is pronounced how?

I'm not even sure I know anymore--she is so off the radar. I think it's "showl," but someone from Europe is going to be able to tell you for sure. I can tell you, though, that if I had to pronounce her name on television--even if I weren't making hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so--I would make sure I got it right.

Davenselesport
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Well, remember when all of the sudden people started saying "HantuCHOva" instead of "HanTUchova"?

drake3781
Nov 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I remember Bud Collins always used to pronounce it Sha-RAP-ova (correctly, apparently).

I'll miss you, Bud. :wavey:

Ninny
Nov 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Similar to the Kournikova story,when asked didn't she say she just gave up and went with it? I think they are informed that the U.S.A. is such a large area to cash in on by their agents, to humour the buggers! Let's face it many Americans butcher the pronunciation of the word "and" turning it into a gap filler at the end of a sentence and it comes out as a two syllable word sounding like "ayand"

:haha: your posts are so funny

Ninny
Nov 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
What about that idiot Dick Emberg pronouncing Henin as "Enna"! :rolleyes: That I don't understand. Does he think "Enna" sounds more French? :tape:

chuvack
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:42 AM
What about that idiot Dick Emberg pronouncing Henin as "Enna"! :rolleyes: That I don't understand. Does he think "Enna" sounds more French? :tape:

I think Dick Emberg drinks a pint of whisky before going on the air, he sounds like a drunk uncle at the family picnic with all his "Whoa Nelly!" type comments.

I know I sound like a hyporcrite to say this, but with Henin is really is probably better to americanize this name, and just say "HEN-nin", because nobody could come up with something better. Listening to Americans saying "Enna" is a horrible punishment for the ears.

Jakeev
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
To be fair, as already mentioned, people from all over do not pronounce tennis players names correctly.

And newsflash folks, the more international the sport gets the more creative names we are gonna have. Commentators just have to make the effort.

Can't wait til Anna Lapushchenkova and Nappowan Lertcheehwakarn hit the big time........

Mercury Rising
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Can't wait til Anna Lapushchenkova and Nappowan Lertcheehwakarn hit the big time........
What the....:eek:

Slutiana
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM

:eek:

Henpova
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM

You know it is very rude to talk about another country that way. So what we say and different then you do. Who gives a damn. Every country speaks a little different.

As far as the last name thing. My country dose do this a lot. I think the networks want them to say the name in the "American" way. Witch is stupid. I think they do it because for a long time when you moved over here, you changed your name to make it easier to say. My family did it, and now I don't know how they say it in the mother land. I think if the networks would just make them say it the right way, most Americans would say it right.

goldenlox
Nov 24th, 2007, 02:42 PM
pav is from New Zealand. I'm pretty sure of that because he posted links to NZ radio stations that had interviews with players during Auckland.
I don't know how anyone would know about these local radio shows without being there.
So he has a different view of the situation.

Meghanns Journey
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM

If we're going to correct the mispronunciation of ShaRApova we might as well do it for all the last names. I don't like it when they say Han-tu-CHO-va because Han-TU-cho-va sounds so much better but this has been going on forever. :shrug:

goldenlox
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM
All the best posts in this thread have been deleted.
It's not a wrong pronounciation because she wants it to be Shara PO va.

chuvack
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
All the best posts in this thread have been deleted.
It's not a wrong pronounciation because she wants it to be Shara PO va.

here's the thing. Masha wants her name to be Shara PO va when she is playing her game of being America's darling. But when she is in Moscow and plays the game of being Miss Russia, of course she goes back to Sha RAP ova.

Sefo
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I always pronounce it SharApova and DementiEva.
I find DemEntieva a bit odd.
SharapOva is ok too, just a bit too americanish.(... and when the commentators are brit, it's even more colorful. Shara poy vah)

In conclusion, I think everyone should spell it how they feel it's natural.

Irina123
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
SharapOva is ok too, just a bit too americanish.(... and when the commentators are brit, it's even more colorful. Shara poy vah)

In conclusion, I think everyone should spell it how they feel it's natural.
Lena is DemEntieva. You may find it odd, but for a russian this the way it should be pronounced. We should pronounce names how native speakers do and how they are pronounced by a person himself/herself. This is a matter of respect.

chuvack
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM

believe me to say "DementiEva" is a horrible mis-pronounciation.

Part of the problem is that the Russian cyrillic "e" (1 sylable) is transposed into English alphabet as "ie" (2 sylables). Just practice to say "DeMENtieva" with the "ie" as one sylable instead of 2. I promise that after you learn to say it correctly, you'll like it.

Dan23
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I've seen threads get closed, but I've never seen specific topic in a thread just disappear.Thats the way it should be if people are posting rubbish in a thread...and you can bet this thread would have seen some rubbish if it hadnt been moderated.

Maria has said she is fine with is being pronounced SharaPOva. So thats end of story.

here's the thing. Masha wants her name to be Shara PO va when she is playing her game of being America's darling. But when she is in Moscow and plays the game of being Miss Russia, of course she goes back to Sha RAP ova.:lol: Thats not true. Just because she isnt fussy about how people pronounce her surname, and doesnt get on a high horse about it, it doesnt mean anything like that.

chuvack
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Thats the way it should be if people are posting rubbish in a thread...and you can bet this thread would have seen some rubbish if it hadnt been moderated.

come on, this entire GM board is swimming in rubbish. What gets moderated and what does not is highly arbitrary. Mods who censor too heavilty lose their sense of humour and become heavy handed bureaucrats. People cant even trade a couple of insults any more on the Internet.

Epigone
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Zvonareva... pronounced: zvon-a-RAY-vuh :help:

Jakeev
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:33 AM
:eek:

:lol: welllllllll people think Maria's name is butchered how bout if those two get to the big time?

treufreund
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I would really love to hear audio files of the correct pronunciation of all the players' names.

égalité
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Zvonareva... pronounced: zvon-a-RAY-vuh :help:

omg that's the worst :help: It's not even just an accent in the wrong place :help: :help:
It should be zvon-ar-YO-va

pav
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM
You know it is very rude to talk about another country that way. So what we say and different then you do. Who gives a damn. Every country speaks a little different.

As far as the last name thing. My country dose do this a lot. I think the networks want them to say the name in the "American" way. Witch is stupid. I think they do it because for a long time when you moved over here, you changed your name to make it easier to say. My family did it, and now I don't know how they say it in the mother land. I think if the networks would just make them say it the right way, most Americans would say it right.
You are being a little bit rude telling me what I should do or say you dipshit! People are always remarking on how we speak over here and we just take it so if you silly buggers want to shove a few extra syllables into words,well you can just take it and stop your bloody moaning ayand get a grip of yourself!

azza
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:30 AM
Sharah-Poh-Vah.

azza
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:37 AM
Ther American way is :bs:

Pasta-Na
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
so u could create this thread and earn 1 vcash :D :p

Pasta-Na
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ther American way is :bs: