PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic - Australian Tennis Magazine (New Article)

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Huge thanks to Daniel. for typing out the entire article and posting it in Jelena's forum. Please goodrep him if you can.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=12025666#post12025666

-------------------------------------------------------

REDISCOVERING DOKIC

SHE MIGHT BE OUT OF FORM BUT JELENA DOKIC ISN'T OUT OF AMBITION, AS SHE AIMS TO RESURRECT HER CAREER IN HER NEW MELBOURNE HOME.

When Jelena Dokic decided to call Australia home again in October, it soon became clear she was desperately short of the fitness and form that taken her to the 2000 Wimbledon semi-finals and the World No. 4 in 2002.

But the one thing that wasn't missing from Dokic's previously powerful arsenal was her propensity for hard work. Manager Jon Giannarelli told Australian Tennis Magazine that after three weeks in Melbourne, she'd worked hard enough on her fitness to shed six kilograms and was on track to achieve her goal to contest some summer events. "She's training four times a day, spending up to three hours on the courts everyday. She's taking it all very seriously," he said.

With her WTA ranking listed as 9999, Dokic is under no illusions about the monumental challenges she faces in resurrecting her career. Speaking through Tennis Australia's official website, Dokic said that there are some high-profile players who show that it's achievable. "I am trying to make a full comeback and only a few people like Jennifer (Capriarti), Mary (Pierce) and Andre (Agassi) have done it. It is not an easy position to be in, you have to earn respect all over again," she said.

"It is 100 times harder than when you first come along, because everything (then) is new and there's no pressure and you are very young."

Craig Tiley, Tennis Australia's Director of Player Development, says that regular contact with Dokic has increased since her return to Australia. "Currently she's at Melbourne Park most days and working really hard on fitness and preparing her game for a return to competative tennis," he expanded.

But there'll be no easy road for Dokic, who even at her peak has struggled to find her best form in Melbourne - she achieved her best result in reaching the third round on her 1999 debut. Contesting her home Grand Slam in 2008 will mean obtaining a wildcard to actually gain entry into the Australian Open's wildcard playoff in December. She's also keen to contest qualifying events on the Gold Coast and in Hobart.

Helping her achieve those goals is hitting partner Duje Kavacic (Dokic has also been hitting with some Australian juniors), with a permanent coach hopefully joining the team soon.

"I am aiming to be 100 per cent fit by the play-off time - basically as fit as I can be without having played matches," said Dokic. "That is the first stage then, of course, I will need lots of matches to get the mental part of my game right and to get fit.

"I am lucky I have a good hitting partner and can lift or lower the intensity of my training. It really helps to have good people to work with. Historically my fitness rises pretty quickly and even after two weeks I expect to be able to do a lot more than I could at the beginning."

Confidence will no doubt be the key for Dokic, who first re-appeared as an Australian late in 2005 where she claimed the Australian Open wildcard by winning the playoff, then lost a heartbreaking three setter to Virginie Razzano in the opening round of the Australian Open 2006. This year, Dokic has played just one professional event, losing to Giulia Gatto Monticone in a low-level event in Italy.

It seems off-court issues were the main reason for the lack of activity over the past 12 months. "I just haven't played because I didn't feel within myself that I was ready to play. That's why I took pretty much the whole year off. You always have ups and downs in a career and I have had a bit of a down period," she said.

"I felt like I just wasn't ready to play, until now. I think if you are not ready, it is counter-productive to try and come back. It is better to leave it and get yourself together. That is what I have done. It has taken some time, but right now I feel like I am in a place mentally and physically that I am ready and able to compete."

Dokic's latest return to Australia comes with no mention of father Damir, one of the most controversial figures in the game's history. Last year he hit headlines again with the untrue claim that his daughter had been kidnapped.

Understandably, Dokic chooses to focus on the future instead of her often painful past and as well as concentrating on regaining her form and fitness, is taking what time she can to enjoy Melbourne with longtime boyfriend Tin Bikic. "I'm happily reminded it's a beautiful city and I love it here and am really enjoying being back," she said.

Off-court hours have included beach training, walks through the city, movies and the excitement of attending the Justin Timberlake concert. They're the typical activities of a 24-year-old, providing a timely reminder that should Dokic return to the form she covets, there are still some good playing years ahead.

Having dealt with what she terms some "negative issues", Dokic appears to be in the right frame of mind to make her mark again. Says manager Gianarelli: "She just loves being in Australia and being back here and having positive people around her. Her attitude is just so good, she's got a smile on the face for the first time in a number of years. Being in Australia is a real weight off her shoulders."

Australian Tennis Magazine | December 2007

Uranium
Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
:bounce: :bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
I highlighted the parts which I found interesting or provide some new information that we hadn't already heard in prior reports.

I really hope Jelena is as happy as her manager is making it sound. That alone should translate into a better chance at a real comeback.

krystlel
Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Thanks for posting the article. That was a good read.

Natash.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
I really hope Jelena is as happy as her manager is making it sound. That alone should translate into a better chance at a real comeback.

Agreed.

Great read and I can't wait for her comeback.

Btw, do you have the full picture of your avatar?

DaMamaJama87
Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
LOL is it 2006 again? Or 2005? I can't remember which comeback flake out is most applicable here

LindsayRulz
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
It's great to hear that she takes this comeback so seriously! I just hope this time she'll keep this positive attitude :angel:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:55 AM
Btw, do you have the full picture of your avatar?
http://i16.tinypic.com/8fzlcuu.jpg

Pheobo
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM
Whatever. We've heard it all before.

LozHippy
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
I'd love to see her back as a tour regular :)

plantman
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Dokic is another one of those young gals with amazing talent. The W.T.A. could greatly benefit from another comeback story! Best of luck Jelena....:)

DimaDinosaur
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
Dios Mios!

switz
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
it's nothing to get overexciting about but it's encouraging that things are still on track. the big test will come in a couple of weeks when the playoffs begin. Even if she's loses i've got little doubt Dokic will get a wildcard into the Australian Open if she remains focused and follows Tennis Australia's guidelines. She's still one of the biggest names in women's sport in Australia and they'll want the buzz about her playing to lift the profile of the tournament.

Lucyxx
Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Nice article. Best of luck in her comeback.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Jelena :hearts:

Jakeev
Nov 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
It would be one of the great comebacks if she can do it. And if she is using Jennifer and Andre as examples than she is already one step ahead.

kittyking
Nov 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Maybe she saw my thread comparing her with Britney?

Just Do It
Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Jelena :bounce:

-sugi-
Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Jelena :yeah:. It sounds very promising from the sounds of it.

GoDominique
Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
the big test will come in a couple of weeks when the playoffs begin.
Wrong. The big test will come in Februar/March/April/May/etc.

chuvack
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
How about, "First, some results, then article praising Dokic"

not "First, article praising Dokic, then hope for some results"

DutchieGirl
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hmm... she's back in Australia - for how long this time? :angel:

Just Do It
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hmm... she's back in Australia - for how long this time? :angel:

From October to January ( when AO finishes ) ;)

Ben.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
i'm just glad that she is happy again, as for some posters...don't bag her out :rolleyes: i know that she needs to produce results to gain your respect again...but she is happy & that is the most important thing that should matter.

Ben.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wrong. The big test will come in Februar/March/April/May/etc.

eh wrong again...her playing this wildcard playoff is a big test for her...plus when she plays in all the months you mentioned, they will also be big test for her game.

LCS
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Just a bit more than a week till the playoffs start right? Isn't it on the 3rd of December? I want to see some action!

Sammm
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Its easy to forget that Jelena's only 24. :eek: Hopefully she can get some good results or just enjoy her tennis and feel good about herself.

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Come on Jelena :sobbing:. I still have some hope left :bounce: :hearts: :bounce:

tennisbuddy12
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
:bounce: great news!

MistyGrey
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Best of Luck Jelly!

mirzalover
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I just cant help but hope her comeback is a great success, but this is the last time I will allow her to get my hopes up

Wintermute
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Even though I've been disappointed by her many times I still wish her well in her comeback. It sounds like her head is in the right place which is a good sign. But confidence only comes through winning and it remains to be seen whether she can still do that.

GoDominique
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
eh wrong again...her playing this wildcard playoff is a big test for her...plus when she plays in all the months you mentioned, they will also be big test for her game.
No, you are wrong. This is not primarily about her game, it's about showing commitment and motivation over a longer period of time.

DutchieGirl
Nov 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
i'm just glad that she is happy again, as for some posters...don't bag her out :rolleyes: i know that she needs to produce results to gain your respect again...but she is happy & that is the most important thing that should matter.

Results aren't what she needs to earn my respect again.

frontier
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I think this piece of news should be treated with caution,Jelena's word should not be relied on until she gets rid of that boyfriend of hers.I believe she is better than Ana or Jelena,if she gets her act together she is as good as the top ten players.I am skeptical about this comeback,maybe she is broke and needs money from the Aussie tennis association.

tennisbuddy12
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Tino Bikic is way better teh Borna. He has ruined Jelenas and Sprems. I think both will come back and do well. I think Jelena and Karolina have the game to go top 20 and Jelena even further.

Mr.Kardashian
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:36 AM
great article.... good luck Jelena

Wojtek
Nov 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Results aren't what she needs to earn my respect again.

Who cares about your respect anyway :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ce
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM
:inlove:

Fantastic
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm a big fan of Jelena's but I'm not expecting a "spectacular" summer from her. It's not because I don't have faith in her, but because she's been out for so long and it will take a while before she is anywhere near decent form. The most we can expect is that she wins a couple of matches. If she can do that, she's playing better than I'm personally expecting. The most important thing is that even if she loses, I hope she's able to keep smiling and stay positive for the year ahead. There's more tennis than just one month in the year. I hope she will toil away at the Challenger level before attempting anymore top tier events outside of the Australian summer.

itzhak
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
She is done. It is over. This is the same nonsense every year.