PDA

View Full Version : Do you ALWAYS support your own country players?

bie
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
Do you always support your own country players no matter what or do you have other favorites as well?
Please give some feed back about the why and when.
Thanks!

I haven't.
Before Justine came along I supported for Steffi and Martina Navratilova.
At the ATP I support Federer and in earlier years my favorite was Borg.

Of course when it's Fed cup or Davis cup time I always root for Belgium. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/wink.gif
http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/dans-cucumber1.gif

http://users.pandora.be/bie/biehappie/Justine-bekers01.jpg
Roland Garros '03,'05,'06,'07
US Open '03,'07
Australian Open '04
Olympic Gold '04
YEC Madrid '06,'07
39 titles
92 weeks # 1
... and counting ...

hdfb
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
With the Aussie girls more often than not, but I absolutely loathe Lleyton Hewitt.

Martian Jeza
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
No

franklinbouvier
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
I'm British.
What do you think?

Lindsayfan32
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
My Faverite is Lindsay but I like Alicia and Sam as well and I can't stand Nicole Pratt and can't wait for her to retire.

bie
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'm British.
What do you think?

Well at the ATP you at least have Andy and Jamie Murray, no? http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/troost.gif

http://users.pandora.be/bie/biehappie/Justine-bekers01.jpg
Roland Garros '03,'05,'06,'07
US Open '03,'07
Australian Open '04
Olympic Gold '04
YEC Madrid '06,'07
39 titles
92 weeks # 1
... and counting ...

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Most of the time!

Medina
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Um no im Australian.. But only root for Spanish/Latin Chicas :inlove:

I support Not that much Aussie's not a fan of Alicia.. But i love Nikki ;)

justine schnyder
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Not alaways.. Unless it's Fed cup/Davis cup

Lindsayfan
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
my faves are not from my country and I rarely support my country girls

kittyking
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
My top 3 favourite players are all kiwi girls, but well my most unliked player is also a kiwi girl.

GoDominique
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Absolutely not.

*W*
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
No!

Andy.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
No not at all. Tennis is an individual sport its about representing yourself not your country.

Daniel K
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Hmm usually, although I don't like Pratt and am indifferent to Stosur. I'd support my faves over Australians when it comes down to it.

lympyisthebest
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Always during Fed Cup. I support Stosur most the time, occasionally Pratt, and indifferent to Molik.

evan2907
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
No, I don't like the french players: Mauresmo, Bartoli, Golovin, Gasquet, Monfils, Mathieu, Grosjean.....:tape:

But I like Dechy and Santoro.

On the other hand, I support all russian players (except Sharapova and Davydenko) and aussie players.:)

Juju4ever
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
I mean, sure it's nice when Peer is winning and the media going crazy about it, but I don't care too much, she's not one of my faves. :)

Meghanns Journey
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
No. Actually besides Meghann and Jennifer Capriati, the last American player I really cared about was Jackie Trail.

DutchieGirl
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Hell no - and no, I don't support ALL of the Dutch player either.

volta
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
hell no

stefi62
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
I don't like French players, except Mary and Aravane. My favs are Italians, Zimbabwean, American and Ukrainian, so if one day they meet a French player, I know for whom I'll side (it already happened, also in Fed Cup)

Ben.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Not always, depends what mood i'm in.

HenryMag.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
I always support all portuguese players because they aren't at the top...If one of the girls would play with Dementieva, I would support Lena.

miffedmax
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
USA all the way during Davis/Fed Cup.

Other than that, no.

polishprodigy
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I have a more favourable opinion of a player if they are from Canada or Poland, but if I realize that I don't like their game or their personality, I won't cheer for them too much. But I cheer for underdog countries (of which both Canada and Poland belong) in Fed Cup play ;)

LudwigDvorak
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Serena Williams - Sometimes.

Venus Williams - 99.9% of the time.

Lindsay Davenport - See above.

Meghann Shaughnessy - Not for the most part.

Meilen Tu - I support her when she faces bitches I hate.

Vania King - :tape: No.

I support players if I like them, although I tend to root for Russia more than America, ie Fed Cup. I wanted Venus to win her singles matches and have Russia win that tie this year, which I got. :woohoo: Although I rooted for Italy in the Fed Cup final...

saint2
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Not always.

the doctor
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Not always, depends on.
But I support always Tax Garbin :worship: :worship:

Shepster
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Well, I suppose I should only talk in terms of ATP, coming from Britain (:D), but no - I wanted Ivanisevic to beat Henman in 2001 at Wimbledon, had Henman made the final then I would have cheered for him (I'm the same with English football teams in the champions league who I don't support) but I disliked him so much (I always liked Rusedski much more) nationality means very little. Goran's win is my favourite story in sports... :worship:

At the moment Murray tears me up because I hate the moody git's personality but his game is just wonderful. I do believe though that if he were playing, say Novak Djokovic or Gael Monfils in anything outside of a Grand Slam final wouldn't cheer for him because I like the other guys more.

Strangely though, I do find myself drawn to *all* things Slovakian vis-a-vis WTA, if there's a SVK after the name I'm automatically drawn in and interested and I support them in Fed Cup because Britain suck so much.

Kworb
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Never. I've never liked any Dutch players.

Lunaris
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
No not at all. Tennis is an individual sport its about representing yourself not your country.
I don't agree. In every sport the athletes represent their own country regardless of how individual that sport may be. In tennis there are still flags or country codes next to players' names in draws.

I personally tend to support my compatriots. Not always but most of the time yes, unless I know they're assholes. Better to support czech or slovak (practically my compatriots so it makes no difference in the end) girls than someone from who knows where. That of course doesn't mean I can't support foreign sportsmen, but they must have something what attracts me. For example I support Nalbandian, because I always liked his game, or Baghdatis cause of his attitude.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Do you always support your own country players no matter what...?

Err.... ours is beyond hopeless. So much so they'll lose even when the opponent has one hand tied behind his / her back. :lol:

Highlandman
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Often, but I don't like all German players, I like a lot, but not all, but not just because they are German, more because they have a nice game or are very cool as person.

The Daviator
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I would if there were any.

RR-87
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
almost never support Sharapova ;)

though wait, is she a russian? :confused: :tape: :p

Tennis-Chick
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, well there isn't many anyways.

dybbuk
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
No. I support Lindsay and Serena, I support the US Fed Cup team, and I like to see young Americans do well, but I don't go out of my way to support American players above all others.

Il Primo!
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Hell no, I find them all talentless, ridiculous, fake or boring but Tati.

Mina Vagante
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
No, i dont support any of the British players, in fact i root against Murray

Paneru
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
No.

I do however root for up and coming players
from my country. Yet, I basically just root
for whom I like regardless of nationality.

Hashim.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
wish we had them:sad:

Aaron.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Alot of people dont.

I do though but alot of polish players are in challengers :tape:

but people from the USA are some of Serena and Venus's biggest haters

shap_half,plantman anyone?

Derek.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Nope.

Dexter
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Usually, but not always. Not that I've got much to choose from.

Yasmine
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Usually I do :)

gumoll
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
I do it almost always :p

ce
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
no,sometimes i cheere against Ana
when she plays Williams sisters

plantman
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
You betcha.....

Capriati
Davenport
Rubin
Shaughnessy

Did I forget anyone? Nope!:)

*Venus sometimes!

03 RuleTheCourt
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Personally NO, i'm a big fan of the russian players, because of their attitude on court. Especially Chakvetadze & Vesnina (Golovin too, but most of you consider her "French"). So when it's a no-russian-involved match i tend to cheer for Henin, that being said; knowing that it's not against Daniela Hantu ;)

Well, I suppose I should only talk in terms of ATP, coming from Britain (:D), but no - I wanted Ivanisevic to beat Henman in 2001 at Wimbledon, had Henman made the final then I would have cheered for him (I'm the same with English football teams ...

.. England does NOT have high rated WTA players
.. England does NOT qualify for Euro 2008
...England does NOT send unedited databases of sensitive personal details through the post ... or wait! They did :D
.. Emma Bunton did NOT win last year's Strictly Come Dancing :D

...So basically when you are British, Yous F*cked :D ...

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I mean, sure it's nice when Peer is winning and the media going crazy about it)

When was that ? :confused:

Fidello
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I always support Serbian players but sometimes I'm having a hard time supporting JJankovic.

no,sometimes i cheere against Ana
when she plays Williams sistersBoooo

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
...If one of the girls would play with Dementieva, I would support Lena.

Same here , we don´t have players in Chile but in the hypothetical case that one of them would play with Elena , I would support Elena

ce
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
I always support Serbian players but sometimes I'm having a hard time supporting JJankovic.

Boooo

:p

Jovana.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
I always support them,especially JJ,no matter who they`re playing!but if they`re against each other,well...then...go Jelena!

kasia1992
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I am from Poland but I dont suport Radwanskas sister or Domachoska but I am huge fan of Maria Sharapova

No.1Hingis
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Well.. lets see.. do you know any mexican player in the first 100 spots of PRO tennis rankings.. ATP or WTA ?

I dont.. so then, no.. I dont support them... I will support them if a single day they just show up in some draw in some tournament ever.. as Echagaray did in USO but not actually with the expectation to them to win, sorry thats the awful truth in our tennis.. it doesnt exist here as a PRO activity to have a life...

Maybe if we talk abt another sport.. where we have the chance to get players .. I do.. sure I do cause we used to have few but good representatives (in single sport or team sport) so as they are few sure I always will support them ..

Drake1980
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Generally yes!

Keaka
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
I think it's pretty obvious.

In big & good tennis countries I think people don't give that much attention to a plaer when they have like millions great players in their country.

I pretty much do.

Chris 84
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Tennis is an individual sport and players play for themselves, not for their country (except of course in Davis Cup, Fed Cup, and to an extent the Olympics). I really don't understand people who always support players from their own country.

A Magicman
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
No.

They don't give me any reason to support them.

But Greta rocks.

gumoll
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Tennis is an individual sport and players play for themselves, not for their country (except of course in Davis Cup, Fed Cup, and to an extent the Olympics). I really don't understand people who always support players from their own country.
you are from UK so no wonder you don't cheer...

Carsten
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
usually yes, except a few I really don't like..

Chris 84
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
you are from UK so no wonder you don't cheer...

I'm from Scotland :ras:

But wherever I'm from, I don't understand the patriotic support of tennis players from some people. If I like Murray or Baltacha, I'll cheer for them, if not I won't....and the same goes for players from any country.

Wayn77
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
No, never.

- with good reason WTA :o

Tennis is handy being an individual sport.

I'm proud of many aspects of where I come from - don't believe in all the flag-waving bullshit.

I support whoever turns me on. :)

(If Sue Barker, Jo Durie, Virginia Wade or Annabel Croft :hearts: were to make a comeback though .....)

LindsayRulz
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Except when they play Lindsay (which doesn't happen very often) yes.

Iceland
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Not all of them ... but as the media put French girls in highlight -giving extra news & showing their match- I am more inclined to follow the advancement of Frenchies. :)

Melly Flew Us
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
i've cheered for cavaday. but i never supported tim until his last year on tour. and murray is just too much.

daniela86
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
I support my faves above all for their games,attitudes on the court or their personnalities that's why I cheer for my number 1 fave,Sharapova,against my compatriots in tournaments.
Still,I have to admit that I tend to cheer for players from my country because we have some similarities and I can often identify with them more easily but if I find out that a player from my country is a :weirdo: (like Pashanki :tape: ),I won't cheer for him/her.
As far as the Fed Cup is concerned,I cheer for my country because players represent their countries above all there that's why I cheered for Jankovic against Cibulkova last July even if I usually prefer Domi than Jeca :p

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
We kind of have to here in Canada since there arent a lot to choose from.
GO STEPH

Wiggly
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Well, Canadas has Dubois, Wozniak, Pelletier, Fichmann, Drake, Shuleeva and Tetrault. And Juniors. And Nancy.

I only like Stépahnie. Ekat sometimes also.
Wozniak always have excuses, Pelletier's game sucks.

Maybe in Fed Cup I cheer for them but either than that, if Stéphanie is doing well, its allt hat matters and the others can ************.

jenny161185
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
we ve never had a player hit the big time and I know for a fact If we do (which will one day be my protege son/daughter!!) I and my country will definately be amongst their biggest fans, If Belgium can do it why can t Ireland!!!!

Willam
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
No, I don't like the french players: Mauresmo, Bartoli, Golovin, Gasquet, Monfils, Mathieu, Grosjean.....:tape:

But I like Dechy and Santoro.

On the other hand, I support all russian players (except Sharapova and Davydenko) and aussie players.:)

what about Clement ¿? :)!

Willam
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
I'm from Scotland :ras:

But wherever I'm from, I don't understand the patriotic support of tennis players from some people. If I like Murray or Baltacha, I'll cheer for them, if not I won't....and the same goes for players from any country.

You would understand if you were from Venezuela, where Sequera is someone who makes us proud! :p

Lindsayfanumber1
Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:59 AM
Always, but if they play Lindsay :devil:

dwynn10
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:07 AM
I suppose during the Olympics, Fed Cup or Davis Cup, I will support US players, but other than that, no. Americans had dominated tennis for a long time, and there have been many top American players, so some of us tend to be a little blase about cheering for the home team. If you're from a smaller country with a less developed tennis program, and, therefore, fewer players to choose from, you might feel differently. Tennis is mostly an individual sport, so it's hard to be nationalistic about it. It's probably better not to be as sportsfans anyway.

twight6
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Do I support them? No.
If it's 2 players I don't care for and one is American, I'll root for the American simply for that reason. However, if I like one of the players, I'll root for them even if they're playing an American, and I do not pick my favorites based on the country they're from.

FrchTwst
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
Yes, Williams Sisters, Davenport are playing in a match, I support them no matter who they are playing.

Pasta-Na
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:13 AM
most of the time... when they dont play :weirdo:

Sharakim
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:22 AM
Not really. I like the Chinese players but my loyalty is for a certain big blonde russian.

Bероника
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:59 PM
No.I support the players in my signature because I like their games,personalities or both.If a player is from my country and I don't like her or she doesn't interest me I don't see why I should support her :confused: Same goes for the Fed Cup team.

orangesky
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
if you want to follow british wta players, i think you'd need to stalk them. they're so low in the rankings, that the only time you see them on tv is when they're being thrashed by justine henin or someone at a grand slam. i support players who seem to have a good personality, aswell as underdogs.

Vut
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Always

rated_next
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I have never understood why people support ALL the players from their own country. There are obviously Canadian players that I do like, but there are some that I don't.

FrenchY52
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
No.
I hate Bartoli.. And dont like many of them like Razzano, Dechy, Grosjean, Benneteau, Gicquel & co who are sooo boring :yawn: And Amélie is becoming like them with the time :(

njnetswill
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hell no. Imagine supporting Roddick, Granville, Shaughnessy, Fish, and Craybas all day. :help:

partbrit
Nov 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
No, I have little or no interest in what country anyone is from. I just like whom I like. The only American player I support in a big way is Davenport. In the past, I was a big Chris Evert fan. But it is a player's style of play and that something extra that makes me a fan, not her country of origin.

n.sad
Nov 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM
well yes I support all Serbs but that's probably because there are only few of them who are very good. But if I'm from some other country it would be different

terjw
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Do you always support your own country players no matter what or do you have other favorites as well?
Please give some feed back about the why and when.
Thanks!

I haven't.
Before Justine came along I supported for Steffi and Martina Navratilova.
At the ATP I support Federer and in earlier years my favorite was Borg.

Of course when it's Fed cup or Davis cup time I always root for Belgium.

No - If I like a player - I support her no matter where she's from.

And like you - I think it's a different thing when it comes to the Fed Cup. I am from England so the best thing for me to do is to give an example how I was back in the days when we had Virginia Wade - a multiple slam winner.

Back then - I rooted for Chrissie. And if she was playing our Ginny - I still desperately wanted Chrissie to win every tine - so I was rooting against my country.

When it came to the Fed Cup - or Wightman Cup back then - I was in a real quandry. I wanted Britain to win - but I wanted Chrissie to win all her matches as well. Very difficult for me that one.

Simplicity.
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Absolutely.

Bartosh
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I don't know whether if Aga wasn't a Pole I would support her - I think not because I don't like this anemic style like Hingis... but it's great when all TV Channels says about Aga and her successes :)
I don't like Marta - her high position last year was sooo lucky :rolleyes:
I like Ula - she would be my favourite Pole :)

Mr_Molik
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM
usually with one exception being lleyton hewitt

Ksenia.
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Not really :)

Zauber
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM
No.
I support the player whose type of game I enjoy watching and sometimes their personality causes me to support or not support a player.
For example John Mcenroe great game but he was not against using or bending the rules in his favor which being a lover of alll sorts of games is unacceptable to me.
Serena Williams alllllways has an excuse for loosing so seem to have most of her fans. What do you think of a loser like this?
A question like this was considered toooo inflamatory.
What a bunch of egotistical bull.

kinseh
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I support Caroline Wozniacki a lot, but if she was up against for example Kim (before she retired), I would root for Kim. So no, if a tennis player is from Denmark, it doesn't mean I am a fan of him/her. But I love to support the Danes at Davis Cup & Fed Cup. :)

DaniMasha3
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
nope

LucasArg
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Yes.
Except when they play Venus. She is gonna beat them anyway:p

darice
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
no. i like players from many countries. that's the great thing about tennis. :)

~Carsten~
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM
nope!

bie
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Thank you for all your responses, 99 to be excact.
Except from the one occasional slip this thread was without negativism and therefore much appreciated by me. http://209.85.12.236/4750/155/emo/hi.gif

Natalicious
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM
i always support tamira except she will ever play against amelie!

Alicia Rocks
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I support practically all Aussies, except a couple and when they play one of my faves.... ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm known to be one of the biggest canadian supporter.

When a player comes on the scene, I have never met her/seen her play, I tend to cheer for her right away. Especially all the young juniors.

On the other hand, if I get to see them play and don't like their game at all, or get to meet them and their personality is horrible, I certainly won't keep on cheering for them even if they are from here.