PDA

View Full Version : Is Elena Dementieva going to win a Grand Slam singles title in 2008?

chuvack
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
As a supporter of Lena I have not much choice but to predict that she is going to win her Slam title next year, because by 2009 she is getting well past the prime age. I think that Lena is mentally ready to do it, she shows in Moscow that she can deliver the necessary smackdown to Serena under pressure.

Lena has a bad record in Australia and Wimby, so we can basicly assume that she is going to win either French Open or USO. So I think that Lena will win one of these 2 events in 2008, possible beating Justine Henin in the final but of course better chances for Lena if Justine is upset before the final.

Boreas
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
probably no

franklinbouvier
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
Not a chance.

Dawn Marie
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Well I would of said hell no, but my psychic vibe hit two weeks ago. Elena Dementieva came into my head. She will win a grandslam in 2008. Alot of times i'm a year off to 6 months off. LOL

Elena Dementieva will win a slam in 08. Thanks for this thread it saved me time.

up!
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
She should have won one in 2004 or 2005, now it's too late I think !

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Lena has a bad record in Australia and Wimby, so we can basicly assume that she is going to win either French Open or US

Well if you say so....

AO and Wimby are out.
FO is definately out.
Maybe USO.... but we will have to see her form in 2008, only we can judge...

Hellion
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Nope

Louis Cyphre
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
probably no but who cares ;)
I dont like her coz she have won 3 slams , I just love the way she plays :devil:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Probably not but I hope so!

Josh.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
the US open is her best chance.

never say never ;)

justine schnyder
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
I don't tink she will..

Renalicious
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I think she will make a final and a semi but not win one.

Juju4ever
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Never.

LUXXXAS
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
:haha: :spit:
I hope she will win at least one WTA title :D

LUXXXAS
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
btw nice idea to count Elena's fans here :D we have 5 already :D

donniedarko
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
are you for real?:lol:

chloe-l
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
No way.

kittyking
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
I said yes because I think she could pick up a Doubles or Mixed Doubles title :)

chuvack
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
I said yes because I think she could pick up a Doubles or Mixed Doubles title :)

:middle finger raised upright in the air at kittky king:

geri234
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Regretfully, I don't think she will win any in her career.
If you had ask me one or two years ago I would say she will win at least one, but now I can't see her beating the Williams, Henin and some other and I can't see her playing 4 or 5 good matches in a row.

I hope I will be proved wrong 'cause I really like her and her game.
I hope she will win the USO (because Shahar will win the French...:lol: )

hingis44
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
WHY NOt when she is very physicly she can beat all the top player. But she must work her serve, but if she has ever been in final, she can won a GC. She merits it

Ceri
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Not a chance. I hope she wins some decent titles next year but you won't find a grand slam sitting amongst them, she just isn't good enough. I like Lena a lot, and know she has a huge fan base. She's talented but not consistentlu good enough to string together wins over the top players.

kittyking
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
:middle finger raised upright in the air at kittky king:

Thanks for that hun :)

chuvack
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that hun :)

yer welcum darling but next time read the question because it says "Grand Slam singles title", dumbass.

lympyisthebest
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Maybe a Tier 1, and a couple of slam QFs.

Pie800
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
As a supporter of Lena I have not much choice but to predict that she is going to win her Slam title next year, because by 2009 she is getting well past the prime age. I think that Lena is mentally ready to do it, she shows in Moscow that she can deliver the necessary smackdown to Serena under pressure.

Lena has a bad record in Australia and Wimby, so we can basicly assume that she is going to win either French Open or USO. So I think that Lena will win one of these 2 events in 2008, possible beating Justine Henin in the final but of course better chances for Lena if Justine is upset before the final.

Don't forget, it's a new surface in Australia next year, faster, one on which she has experienced good results. It will only benefit her game in my opinion playing on that surface, so I think she will get far in Australia, but otherwise maybe the French or USO... I hope:)

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
The speed of the surface isn't the problem in Melbourne.
Lena doesn't go to Australia in her best form. She gets into form as the year goes on.
Then she plays all fall to make the YEC, and comes in there exhausted.

kittyking
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
yer welcum darling but next time read the question because it says "Grand Slam singles title", dumbass.

Should know that I don't really care about that, and I've got a cute ass :)

NeeemZ
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
I highly doubt it. Her best form was during 2004 and 2005, that was when she could have made the greatest impact.

Never say never though.

chuvack
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Should know that I don't really care about that, and I've got a cute ass :)

Why come in here at all if you don't want to contribute to the topic. On the subject of your ass, are you male or female? I only like womans ass, thanks.

Vlad Tepes
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Hmmm, if we get a really freaky GS tournament, she has a chance to get a title a la Kuznetsova this year, but what are the chances for that to happen?

chuvack
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Well if you say so....

AO and Wimby are out.
FO is definately out.
Maybe USO.... but we will have to see her form in 2008, only we can judge...

actually now that you mention it, I think Lena has a chance at Wimby also. The courts there are basicly playing like hardcourt now, and especially Lena enjoys to beat the Williams sisters, I could definately see her beating Venus Williams in the Wimby final next year, that would be great.

For the reason that goldenlox said, I think there is no chance that Lena would win AO, she is never in form there regardless of the surface.

Demska
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
They said she'd wasn't capible on winning another Tier I and she did it in Moscow, which shocked us all.

Who knows.

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Lena has been to 2 slam finals, so only a handful on the tour are more accomplished at the majors.
But they are a tough group to get past.
Justine, Serena, Venus, Maria, Amelie, Svetlana. And Lindsay if she plays majors in 2008.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Lena will win the Golden Slam ;)

HenryMag.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Hell no

kaktusino
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yes, she can. And she win in 2008.

miffedmax
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
A couple years ago, I promised I would write a 50-page homage to Lena's greatness, adorabilty, mind-numbing perfection and exquisite athleticism if she won a major title.

I have started composing what will be my life's masterwork already, and anticipate posting it in January.

It will absolutely suck to be a Dementihater in 2008. And it will serve them all right.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
It's weird. Before the US hardcourt season I thought I'd never seen her game worse than it was in the first half of the year. Since she lost to Paszek in Wimbledon she's played EXTREMELY well. The serve has improved, the groundstrokes are back (well, the forehand at least :tape: ), what I'm curious is if she has the mental fortitude to get back to slam semifinals/finals. Then I'll wonder if she can win a slam. Her loss to Justine this year, great match and all, but her level lowered at the most critical stages of each set, which is why she lost. I don't think she believed she could win, which is weird because Justine was so scared :o but anyway. The same problem happened against Lindsay in Beijing just two weeks before that, but then she beat Serena. :confused:

She's very, very confusing. But I'll say she'll do well at the slams in 2008, better than 2007 at least. Hopefully better than 2006 as well.

the doctor
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
probably not but never say never

Lunaris
Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Well, I remember people saying Hantuchova won't win another title. Never say never, if Dementieva could fix her serve for a period of two weeks without any major sways in the process I would give her a chance, probably in New York. She's still one of the best baseliners in the game. In her case it's all about ball toss and confidence on serve.

LCS
Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
She has every chance...if she plays closely to the way she finished this season and if her determination is there I see it happen!

RJWCapriati
Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Maybe a SF

No Name Face
Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
She can do it.
I'm not going to bet on it, but she can.

alfonsojose
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
No

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
She is gonna win her GS at 30 years old , a la Goran or Novotna :cool:

2011 or 2012 is the year

John.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Nope

sebbe
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
she won't ever win a slam!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
:lol: no

chuvack
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
she won't ever win a slam!

well even if your right, at least she won't be ugly like Mary Pierce.

E.Dementieva_FAN
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
She can do it... please Lena. :angel:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
not even a semi

frontier
Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
hell no!she not slam winner material to be honest.

Topspin2
Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:45 AM
yes!

danieln1
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
We all know she won´t, because she had her 2 chances in 2004, now her chances are long gone!

No Name Face
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:47 AM

yes, making two slam finals in a calendar year means she's not slam material :weirdo:

LudwigDvorak
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM
yes, making two slam finals in a calendar year means she's not slam material :weirdo:

She only had to beat Davenport, Mauresmo (twice), and Capriati in her slam runs, talk about fluke. :weirdo:

Although she's only made one semifinal in three seasons since then. It's not very positive looking.

hkyen
Nov 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
she may go to final
but weak in a slam

Harvs
Nov 23rd, 2007, 07:12 AM

grow up... it was just there opinion.

i agree though, i think she had her chances in '04... i dont think she will ever get another GS chance again:(

Viktymise
Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
I can't wait to bump this thread bitch!

Matt01
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
I can't wait to bump this thread bitch!

Won't happen :p

Aaron.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
well even if your right, at least she won't be ugly like Mary Pierce. Why arent you banned yet we are talking about grand slam titles not beauty.

Serena had a worser year then Justine but atleast shes alot prettier is total bullcrap.

chuvack strikes again :weirdo:

saint2
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Serena had a worser year then Justine but atleast shes alot prettier is total bullcrap.

chuvack strikes again :weirdo:

Nice joke.

Will Elena win a slam? Yes- USO. AO-Nicole, FO-Chaky, W-Dani, USO-Elena :cool:

Forehand_Volley
Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Elena has the game, but its her mentality that keeps her from the pinnacle. The same could be said about a lot of current players in the top 20.

Vicmatibla
Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
I don't think she will win a Grand Slam singles title.

Il Primo!
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Dementieva's fans were nice when they kept a low profile. :)

And hell no for a GS. Not even close! Reaching a SF again would be great for her.

goldenlox
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
There are reasons to be optimistic. Lena won Moscow, playing some of her best tennis ever.
And she's been to multiple slam finals and SF's. She's had several good majors.
It takes some luck. She needs to be on her best game and have a decent draw.
But it's been done by players who are on Lena's level.

Pasta-Na
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM
maybe she can use two of her G.S runner-ups + something special to exchange one of Martina.N's G.S probably? :p :angel:

Chrisi
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Maybe a semi-final but not more!

jawadde
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Hell no :lol:

Although I would love to see it happen someday

iPatty
Nov 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
If she applied herself, she could win Australia. To me, it suits her game the best.

But she never takes that slam seriously so I'll have to say she will never win a slam.

chuvack
Nov 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM
If she applied herself, she could win Australia. To me, it suits her game the best.

I think that Lena feels that the 3 summer Slams are more important events than Australian Open, and so she focuses on the "Big Three" much more.

kinglear
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Of course I'm biased, but I all Elena needs is a good run. If she can be relentless and hit ridiculous winners, she can definitely win Slams. Honestly, she should have destroyed Myskina in the French Open final, but I do think that Sveta's a better player than Myskina, so I'm not too surprised Elena lost the 2004 US Open. I can't predict anything because who in the hell would have thought Elena would win the Kremlin Cup? Not me. And taking out Serena, no less. :lol: I don't think her chances are great to win a Slam because the other players are more motivated during Slams. But if Elena is going to win a Slam, it just has to happen. :)

LudwigDvorak
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I started watching tennis during the 2004 US Open. My best friend talked to me about that final before it happened. He thought Dementieva was going to win, and so did most people. She was better at the time, had more experience (especially at grand slams), and was "her destiny" after coming back from the disappointment of the French Open and making another slam final with three amazing wins in a row against top 10 players.

I still think the US Open that year is the greatest achievement of her career. And because of that, until she converts championship point, I will have to say, "No." If she lost that tournament after all the hard work she had to do to get there, then it just doesn't seem like it'll ever happen, especially after the drama in the following US Open, and then of course that terrible match against Jankovic the year after THAT.

I just want to see semifinals, at least. Someone of her level of play should be consistently reaching slam quarterfinals and semifinals, and then let's see where she gets from there.

kinglear
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Elena has the game, but its her mentality that keeps her from the pinnacle. The same could be said about a lot of current players in the top 20.

Yeah, like Safarova even though she's not in the Top 20. :rolleyes: I just love her game...when it's on.

miffedmax
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
You know, I could live with the Demnihaters calling her a one-slam wonder.

I really could.

Marionated
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I would love to see Elena win a slam. She's been in 2 finals so it's possible.

kinglear
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM
You know, I could live with the Demnihaters calling her a one-slam wonder.

I really could.

Oh hell yeah! Especially the fact that she's reached two Slam finals, I really wouldn't consider a one-slam wonder. It's kind of the same situation with Jana Novotna: she reached a few Slam finals and then finally won one. Even if Elena never wins a Slam, she's still one of the best whoever played tennis. At least, she'd be remembered for being one of the most exciting players ever.

miffedmax
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
And the hottest. And the most lovable. And the sweetest.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Would Elena actually be remembered in 15 years aside from her pathetic serve though? I don't get the feeling too many people really think that fondly of her game. :lol:

In relation to the other thread on GM now, I'd be excited if Elena won the Australian but...I don't think I'd be anywhere near as emotional if it were at the French or US Open. It'd just be a complete anomaly if Elena won Wimbledon so I'd be too :unsure: to :sobbing:, at which I'd definitely :bigcry: and :sobbing: at the USO or RG.

AmeDevotee
Nov 27th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I have some sympathy for Elena because she's inherited Amelie's "best player never to have won a slam" tag. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :hug:

But I'm sure a lot of the posters dismissing Elena's chances said exactly the same about Amelie a couple of years ago. And they were wrong. Twice. :cool:

So I don't think it's impossible for Elena, if she plays like she did in Moscow. :)

darice
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
i hope so cause lena's too good to not have won a slam. :)

Veritas
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I have some sympathy for Elena because she's inherited Amelie's "best player never to have won a slam" tag. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :hug:

But I'm sure a lot of the posters dismissing Elena's chances said exactly the same about Amelie a couple of years ago. And they were wrong. Twice. :cool:

So I don't think it's impossible for Elena, if she plays like she did in Moscow. :)

There's a difference between their pre-Mauresmo-won-2-Slams career paths.

With Amelie, she was more consistent and had no glaring weakness in her game. She was better at holding her own against top players and often dug deep into Grand Slam draws. Also, she won more titles. In short, she made more breakthroughs and despite setbacks, was bound to win a Slam. IMO, it was her victory at the 2005 YEC which set the path.

As for Elena, she had the one weakness which threw a spanner in the works for her progress. It amazes me that despite having a lot of strengths (e.g. athleticism, powerful groundstrokes), it took only a single component to drag her down. As a result, not only was she weak against the big guns, she wasn't consistent against the "lesser" players as well. You don't win Slams without going through the early stages of the draw. And more often than not, Elena can't find herself moving comfortably into the 2nd week. If she can't hold her own against those outside the top-10, how can she be expected to have enough left in the tank against those who rule the hierarchy?

HOWEVER, I don't think Elena's peaked yet. There's plenty of potential for her to exploit. Despite her age, she's an excellent athlete. Tennis is a physical sport and Elena's done well to manage her fitness level, especially when you consider the self-damage her serve does. A lot of people reckon that as soon as you reach 3-4 years before you reach 30, you're sporting career is done. But Mauresmo's proven that you don't have to be 18-21 to win your first Slam. And I suspect Elena can prove that as well.

vutt
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM
If Henin is playing then not a chance. Otherwise - well if Myskina managed, then she can as well...

chuvack
Feb 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
this is the definitive poll on this subject.

samsam4087
Feb 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM
this is the definitive poll on this subject.

:worship::worship::worship: