PDA

View Full Version : Should tennis fans be monogamous?

only_one_maria
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Okay, I'll explain what I mean.

I was just reading a post on the Kirilenko board and one of her fans stated that she was pleased with Masha's title this season, even though she beat Daniela. So, obviously for this Masha fan Daniela is the no.1.

But can you really support more than one player? I aways follow Kirilenko and never look at another woman. Yet there seem to be many people on here who claim to be fans of lots of different players. Surely a true fan can only have one player, right? How can you care so much about a player if you are prepared to support others aswell?

Obviously if I'm watching a match between 2 girls I might pick a favourite. But I'd never call myself a fan.

Consider this. Can you imagine someone saying that they were a fan of Manchester United, Liverpool AND West Ham. Or what about Lazio, AC Milan and Juventus. Of course not! You have to choose ONE.

Serial monogamy is fine (what are Steffi Graf fans to do?) but I wouldn't trust people who claim to be fans of 6 or 7 players - all of whom are in the top 20! You have to choose.

Ilikebigboobies
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Consider this. Can you imagine someone saying that they were a fan of Manchester United, Liverpool AND West Ham. Or what about Lazio, AC Milan and Juventus. Of course not! You have to choose ONE.

ULTIMATELY you have to choose one. For example - if they were to play in the Final.

I am a fan of the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and a fan of the Brisbane Bullets, Townsville Crocodiles and Cairns Taipans in the NBL. For every match they play I support them, UNLESS they play each other. In which case I support both Brisbane teams cause they are my favourites.

Tennis is no different. I support 30 odd players, but Gisela Dulko is my number 1 and I support her over ALL others.

To answer your question, I think fans can support many players, and it doesn't make you any less of a fan cause you have a few other favourites.

:shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM

big diff is: football teams stay the same thru time.
players come :) and go :sad: :sad:

only_one_maria
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
TBH, I'm wary of fans who say they like other players too. I feel more comfortable with people who support ONLY Kirilenko and really aren't too bothered about the others.

As I say, I have those I like more than others, but I can only be a fan of 1 player.

Watching
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
My ultimate atp favourite is Federer. I can watch other matches and enjoy them but I want him to win every match he enters.

Same for wta, my favourite is Serena. I want her to win every match however I don't mind that much if she loses to Venus who is second favourite. I sometimes watch other wta matches because they're on tv but I don't really enjoy them.

plantman
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM
ULTIMATELY you have to choose one. For example - if they were to play in the Final.

I am a fan of the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and a fan of the Brisbane Bullets, Townsville Crocodiles and Cairns Taipans in the NBL. For every match they play I support them, UNLESS they play each other. In which case I support both Brisbane teams cause they are my favourites.

Tennis is no different. I support 30 odd players, but Gisela Dulko is my number 1 and I support her over ALL others.

To answer your question, I think fans can support many players, and it doesn't make you any less of a fan cause you have a few other favourites.

:shrug:

:yeah:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Okay, I'll explain what I mean.

I was just reading a post on the Kirilenko board and one of her fans stated that she was pleased with Masha's title this season, even though she beat Daniela. So, obviously for this Masha fan Daniela is the no.1.

But can you really support more than one player? I aways follow Kirilenko and never look at another woman. Yet there seem to be many people on here who claim to be fans of lots of different players. Surely a true fan can only have one player, right? How can you care so much about a player if you are prepared to support others aswell?

Obviously if I'm watching a match between 2 girls I might pick a favourite. But I'd never call myself a fan.

Serial monogamy is fine (what are Steffi Graf fans to do?) but I wouldn't trust people who claim to be fans of 6 or 7 players - all of whom are in the top 20! You have to choose.

I completely understand you. It's the same with me.
I support Ana for 100% and I actually feel that there's no place for others. I'm not even trying much to look for another favorite.
Ana will be my number 1 anyhow.

The only problem for me is that I probably will lose interest in tennis when she retires.
I had the same with Richard Krajicek. I followed him since 1992. He was my only favorite. I watched WTA as well, but ATP had the priorty.
When he retired I lost the interest. I watched tennis now and then, but not closely cause Richard wasn't there anymore.
Cause of this I didn't discover Ana earlier than 2005. That's too bad.
I'm glad I have that feeling again of a real fanship. It's great and Ana is only in her early years ;)

DimaDinosaur
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Richard Gasquet and Davydenko (Davalicious) are cool

Sean.
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Well I have always supported Justine since her SW19 final with Venus, the first tennis match i ever watched.

But since Ivanovic burst onto the tour I'm not sure who I like more. I want Justine to win the golden slam next year, but I want Ivanovic to win a gland slam! So I am very confused right now!

But I think you can be a fan of more that one player, you will always like some players more than others but you cant just pick one that you like and ignore the rest.

Melly Flew Us
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM
people who enjoy tennis as a sport can support more than one player but may not have a real favourite. fan(atic)s have different motivations for supporting a player but do so wholeheartedly. me, i'm a bit of both so i have one real fav and can support other players.

Jakeev
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM
Considering tennis is an individual sport and unless your fav is winning weekend and out, how can you not enjoy other players?

Max565
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM
I like watching other players. Just because Hingis has retired doesn't mean that I'll stop watching tennis. It's still my favourite sport. However, following tennis events through the internet (coming to WTA World for example) will not be as interesting because I won't be as eager to find out results of tennis matches (unless they're major finals).

But anyways, I find it strange how some people can support so many players. It's only one player for me, Martina. But then again, I will sometimes root for players to win (ie Sharapova) ;)

FrchTwst
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
You should only have 3 or 4 favorites. Szavay, Serena, Venus and Mauresmo.

Demska
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM
I only really have two favorites. Myskina and Dementieva

SvetaPleaseWin.
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
i have 3 big favourites-Sveta, Serena and Flavia in that order

fatty sausage
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yikes! Only support a single player? That would be just plain boring.

I have lots of favorite players and I support them all, just on different levels. Kim C is my all time fave.

But on the other end of the spectrum also root for Claudine Schaul and Shika Uberoi. Well, if you follow their careers, you know if can be awhile between victories. Tennis really wouldn't be much fun if I only rooted for one of those players.

After Kimmy retired, I'm not sure if I have a top flight fave player right now. Glancing at the Top 40, my personal top three would be in order: Mirza, Sugiyama, Peer. They are ranked 31, 17 and 38.

dwynn10
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Considering tennis is an individual sport and unless your fav is winning weekend and out, how can you not enjoy other players?

I don't see why you can't be a fan of different players. Fandom varies in degrees. In my case, on the men's side, my #1 fave is Federer, but to a lesser degree, I've also become a fan of Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer, and Blake, who, unfortunately, seems to have gone as far as he could. (On the women's side, I support Jankovic and Davenport, and recently, to a degree, Venus, for their personality and sportmanship. I'm not a fan of any current women players for their skills, however, as none of them can compare to Federer in that department.)

When Fed is not playing the aformentioned guys, I root for them over their opponents. When he's playing them, I root for him (except for when he's playing Blake), but I wouldn't dream of slavishly kowtowing to whatever he says or does. I can never understand the kind of blind, absolute fandom some people seem to have for their faves on this board. C'mon, be a little objective! These tennis players, good as they are, are not divinities who can do no wrong.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
It's almost impossible just to support a single player.... see me for example. I am a big fan of Justine, but that doesn't stop me from supporting other players. Hell, I was only a fan of Ana after her Berlin final this year. :)

frontier
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
I love Venus first and Serena second but I also like Zvonareva,Davenport,Bartoli,and Safarova.

Matt01
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
The obvious answer to the question of the thread starter is: NO!

Henpova
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
No, I have 5 player that I really like. but there is an order. Juju is one, Maria is 2nd. Now with the other there I am torn, do to the fact I want all three to keep getting better. With that said if Juju is in a match I want her to win, and if she is playing Maria and Maria wins. I won't be sad.

miffedmax
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:31 PM
I only really have two favorites. Myskina and Dementieva

Your taste is impeccable.

hablo
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
I'm a fan of the sport.
So yes, I do have a favourite but can support other players too.
Hence, I still enjoyed the YEC even though Momo wasn't there!

Willam
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
You can read my signature and read them rankings :lol: 7 are in top 50... 1 was before..

Buit this is the thing:

Dementieva and Jankovic (Players that are capables of winning tournaments and have shots at slams)
Shahar Peer (Capable of winning some tourney in the year and beat some top 20 or 10)
Radwanska, Paszek, Krajicek, Azarenka (Young guns who can only win some matches and do upsets)
Sequera EXPECT THE WORST FROM HE AND YOULL BE PLEASED :lol: