PDA

View Full Version : Meghann Shaughnssey?

chuvack
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Just wondering what do people really think about this odd American veteran who is rarely talked about. Several years ago (I think in 2001) it looked as though Meghann was about to become a major star, she was having super results, and then she went back down as quickly as she rose up. Also wondering what is her problem why she stays with that freak Font de Mora, I think it is quite cowardly of her not to get rid of him because he obviously did not bring her good results for many years now. She could get somebody better but she never took the steps to do so, why not?

Paule22
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM
Love is in the air, everywhere I look around.

Keaka
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
She just wacks every ball as hard as she can :lol:

Andrew..
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM
She just wacks every ball as hard as she can :lol:
Not really. In fact, one of her major problems over the past couple of years was that she was being far too passive on court. She moonballs a lot, especially off the backhand.

Direwolf
Nov 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
the only place where she beats good people is in Miami..
where she beat both Justine and Venus..
but in different years...

tennisfan5
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM
saw her practice at the us open and she looked good. was surprised she didn't do better there

GoDominique
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
I mean, if you look at Grönefeld's past three years it's a copy of what happened to Meghann back then.
One great year shooting up close to the top 10 and that was it. Only possible difference is that she didn't fall of completely, she managed to go on and do decently, but disappointing nonetheless.

It's the result of Font de Mora's fabulous "method" which leads to early burn-out.

DimaDinosaur
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Meghann doesn't have enough body mass?

chuvack
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
anyone knows if she is lesbo?

Paule22
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
she isnt. she rather is a stockholm syndrom a la font de mora.

MatchpointPRT
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM
She won a title in 2007 so it wasn´t a bad year...

Keaka
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Not really. In fact, one of her major problems over the past couple of years was that she was being far too passive on court. She moonballs a lot, especially off the backhand.

Well she certainly wasn't passive in Portoroz :tape:

Uranium
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
anyone knows if she is lesbo?

she's married to font de mora i believe.

njnetswill
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
I really don't have any respect for Meghann, who stays with de Mora even after he essentially stalks and harasses her ex-doubles partner, ALG.

chuvack
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
I really don't have any respect for Meghann, who stays with de Mora even after he essentially stalks and harasses her ex-doubles partner, ALG.

I tend to think the same, she makes herself look a bit pathetic by staying with him.

Jakeev
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Seems like Meghann is picking up were Amy Frazier left off: having few brilliant moments through the year but just satisfied with those few moments.

Problem is, I think Meghann is much more well rounded on court than Amy was which is why she has doubles to fall back on when her singles game goes haywire.

And heck Meghann made over $412k in 07. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Love to see her make another run back in the top 20 but if that doesn't happen we probably will still see similar results like she had this year.

Meghanns Journey
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM
I mean, if you look at Grönefeld's past three years it's a copy of what happened to Meghann back then.
One great year shooting up close to the top 10 and that was it. Only possible difference is that she didn't fall of completely, she managed to go on and do decently, but disappointing nonetheless.

It's the result of Font de Mora's fabulous "method" which leads to early burn-out.

ALG is a perfect comparison! :yeah: You guys don't know what a letdown it was especially in '03 and all the way up to now. Meghann is my favorite and she was just breaking through and then crash! :( I think it was a combo of the pressure getting to her and outside stuff. :sad:

As for Font de Mora... :fiery: Meghann must be compensating for something else and she's doing it in the most negative way possible. :mad:

Meghanns Journey
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM
Seems like Meghann is picking up were Amy Frazier left off: having few brilliant moments through the year but just satisfied with those few moments.

Problem is, I think Meghann is much more well rounded on court than Amy was which is why she has doubles to fall back on when her singles game goes haywire.

And heck Meghann made over $412k in 07. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Love to see her make another run back in the top 20 but if that doesn't happen we probably will still see similar results like she had this year.

Amy is a good comparison too. I agree that Meghann is more versatile but I think Amy was more dangerous to the top players.

chuvack
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM

she has a strong game with big forehand and also big first serve, should really have done more with it. But the girl got issues as they say, I think thats true whether she is striaght or lesbo.

esquímaux
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:27 PM
I met Meggy in Tokyo last year :hearts: Very sweet girl and I'm kicking myself in the head for not taking a pic with her :sad: She gave me and auto though :yippee: She signed my shirt :D

*JR*
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah, and there's another Prominent Player who has this Particular Problem too. :cuckoo:

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I thought that Meghann had finally found another coach?

Dave.
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Well she's shown exceptional talent in singles and doubles and it's just a shame she didn't go into that final stage of becoming a champion. Perhaps she should focus on doubles more and try and get the most from that, or kick start her singles game again. She did have a good year last year.

IanRadi
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Meg :hearts:

fatty sausage
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Meg used to be one of my faves until I saw her play a couple of years ago. This is when she wasn't doing too well, and she had to qualify for a Tier II tournament. You can tell she had the attitude of, "Don't you know who I am and how high I was once ranked? I shouldn't have to qualify."

Bottom line, is she won her qualifying match I watched, barely defeating a local college player. But it was her attitude and her dropping F-bombs on the court that really turned me off. I certainly don't wish her will ill, but she is not one of my faves anymore.

chuvack
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Meg used to be one of my faves until I saw her play a couple of years ago. This is when she wasn't doing too well, and she had to qualify for a Tier II tournament. You can tell she had the attitude of, "Don't you know who I am and how high I was once ranked? I shouldn't have to qualify."

Bottom line, is she won her qualifying match I watched, barely defeating a local college player. But it was her attitude and her dropping F-bombs on the court that really turned me off. I certainly don't wish her will ill, but she is not one of my faves anymore.

thanks for the story. It seems to me that some players get smarter over the course of their career, and some players get stupider, and Meghann is unfortunately of the latter type which somewhat can explain why she hasn't made better restults.

chuvack
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:58 PM

what is a stockholm syndrom?

LudwigDvorak
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:22 PM
I watched her in 2006 and just laughed. She was up 75 30 over Dementieva at Wimbledon, set lead over Serena in LA, really should have beaten Mauresmo at the US Open...

She has a really good game, and it should win her more matches. In early '07 she could just not win a match, then she re-dedicated herself, and got herself back in the top 60/50, which I thought was really impressive, and that she'd continue to make strides, but alas.

Although when you think about her, you don't really think "wasted potential." She definitely maximized what she had, but she should have done more with her career, just a little bit.

*JR*
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM
what is a stockholm syndrom?
Identifying with one's captor, be it that one is held @ gunpoint or by psychological manipulation. Its named after a 1972 bank robbery in Stockholm where the about 2B released hostages (after around 3 days) begged the police not to hurt their captors, and some tried to act as "human shields" during the surrender. BTW, the term was applied 3 decades ago to "another" Peppermint Patty... Hearst.

hingisGOAT
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Well her forehand, serve, and court coverage were exceptional at her best. I remember watching her victory over Venus in Miami a few years ago... and Venus was clueless on how to handle Meghann's game! But that backhand has always been awful...

patricktav2003
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM
yes she is in love with her coach since years now!! and i think is the problem!!
because she had the game to be top 10 really and more often in top 20! but i think she likes it this way! really!! like Barbara Schett said before top 50 you are not really talk about dont need to work so hard etc..

Jakeev
Nov 24th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Amy is a good comparison too. I agree that Meghann is more versatile but I think Amy was more dangerous to the top players.

Amy whacked the heck out of the ball but Meghann is no slouch herself with the power.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
No, AMY is not a good example. She knew what it took to get to the next level. She never wanted to get down and dirty to do so. Amy was and is a lady through and through. She played for the love of the game, not for the glory or the ranking that came with it. Thats whats what seperates Amy from the rest...IMO... :D ...:wavey:

Slumpsova
Nov 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
it's Meghann Shaughnessy you ignorant.

Mr. Magassi
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Never liked her game (one of the ugliest motions to watch -- on all strokes)... and her attitude/behavior on court is quite abrassive as well...

*Jool*
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I watched Amy vs Meghan at the French 2 years ago - 75 57 75 or something like that - ended late - I liked it a lot coz both are /were players I like . Amy indeed is a lady , CCR ;)
I'm disappointed Meghan didn't have a better career . :sad:
I liked her a lot , and , a la Daniilidou (I make this comparison coz I also like Eleni a lot) , they dropped and never could come back to their best which is a shame IMO .

Megkiss!
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Meg did her best in 2001 but she still being 'someone', I mean, she won Barcelona this year ON CLAY. I think Meg's serve is fantastic as well as her forehand and court coverage.

She can be a top 20 again in 2008 but I'd prefer to watch her arriving some finals in doubles again.

Andrew..
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Meg did her best in 2001 but she still being 'someone', I mean, she won Barcelona this year ON CLAY. I think Meg's serve is fantastic as well as her forehand and court coverage.

She can be a top 20 again in 2008 but I'd prefer to watch her arriving some finals in doubles again.
Well, clay is her best surface...

She has NOTHING to defend until Barcelona. She just has to start off the year right... something she hasn't done in three years.

plantman
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I met Meggy in Tokyo last year :hearts: Very sweet girl and I'm kicking myself in the head for not taking a pic with her :sad: She gave me and auto though :yippee: She signed my shirt :D

Oh how I wish to be limber enough to get my feet close to my head again!:D :tape:

IanRadi
Nov 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Well, clay is her best surface...

She has NOTHING to defend until Barcelona. She just has to start off the year right... something she hasn't done in three years.

That's true but strange, I mean, most of americans don't do well con clay.

I'm a bit worry about the quantity of points that she defends from Berlin up to Ordina Open and then from San Diego up to Toronto. I hope she'll start well the year winning some matches.

Meghanns Journey
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Her serve IS great and really underrated! :D

lympyisthebest
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Where is Meghann? :sobbing:

darkangel23
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Still injured?!