PDA

View Full Version : Contributions To The Game Called "Tennis"

Ysabella
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:42 AM
What have these players contributed to the game called "Tennis'?

1. Steffi Graf
2. Monica Seles
3. Lindsay Davenport
4. Serena Williams
5. Venus Williams
6. Martina Hingis
7. Justine Henin
8. Maria Sharapova
9. Amelie Mauresmo

new style, new kind of game, new fame? whatever it is...........

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Steffi Graf- Her aggressive baseline play was the first of its kind. In a way she revolutionized the sport- bye bye moonballs, hello attacking tennis. I think one of her biggest contributions to the sport is her inside forehand. She may not have been the first to hit the shot but she's the one that made that shot popular. We also have to give her credit for her incredible footwork. That awesome footwork of hers made it possible for her to run around her back hand and hit a forehand. Today we see tons of players ending points with big inside out forehands and tons more running around their backhands- I think Steffi should get tons of credit for that.

Monica Seles- Baseline aggression taken to another level! While Steffi was doing all kinds of crazy things with that big forehand of hers, Seles was matching that with her own devastating forehand AND backhand. She wouldn't let up and was one of the pioneers of Big Babe Tennis. I think her biggest contribution is her attacking style of play off both sides. We also have to mention her return of serve. Before Seles, the serve was simply a way to get a point started, but if you brought that weak serve anywhere near Seles she'd swallow it whole.

Serena (and Vee)- They were the first to incorporate both athleticism and aggression. They brought the perfect mix of attacking tennis and defensive play. I think one of their biggest contributions is their ability to turn a defensive play into an offensive one. In addition to that, they made the open-stance and semi-open stance popular. Before they came along tennis instructors used to teach you to hit the ball closed stance, but that's out the window in todays game and that's a direct result of Serena (and vee).

Martina Navratilova- If we're talking about contributions we should give her credit for showing how you could take your game up a few levels by incorporating off court training. She was the tours original jock.

Billie J. King = Tennis! She made the biggest contribution of all by helping to make the sport lucrative and she gets all the credit for what women's tennis is today.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Forgot to mention all the noise in todays game... Thanks Monica!

Ysabella
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Steffi Graf- Her aggressive baseline play was the first of its kind. In a way she revolutionized the sport- bye bye moonballs, hello attacking tennis. I think one of her biggest contributions to the sport is her inside forehand. She may not have been the first to hit the shot but she's the one that made that shot popular. We also have to give her credit for her incredible footwork. That awesome footwork of hers made it possible for her to run around her back hand and hit a forehand. Today we see tons of players ending points with big inside out forehands and tons more running around their backhands- I think Steffi should get tons of credit for that.

Monica Seles- Baseline aggression taken to another level! While Steffi was doing all kinds of crazy things with that big forehand of hers, Seles was matching that with her own devastating forehand AND backhand. She wouldn't let up and was one of the pioneers of Big Babe Tennis. I think her biggest contribution is her attacking style of play off both sides. We also have to mention her return of serve. Before Seles, the serve was simply a way to get a point started, but if you brought that weak serve anywhere near Seles she'd swallow it whole.

Serena (and Vee)- They were the first to incorporate both athleticism and aggression. They brought the perfect mix of attacking tennis and defensive play. I think one of their biggest contributions is their ability to turn a defensive play into an offensive one. In addition to that, they made the open-stance and semi-open stance popular. Before they came along tennis instructors used to teach you to hit the ball closed stance, but that's out the window in todays game and that's a direct result of Serena (and vee).

Martina Navratilova- If we're talking about contributions we should give her credit for showing how you could take your game up a few levels by incorporating off court training. She was the tours original jock.

Billie J. King = Tennis! She made the biggest contribution of all by helping to make the sport lucrative and she gets all the credit for what women's tennis is today.

wow, nice answer, thanks,

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM
Muaremso- When she learned to become comfortable in her own skin I think she became an inspiration for a lot of people. And the fact that she was able to produce her best results later in her career gives hope to a lot of other players out their.

Chris Evert- Her two handed-backhand really helped to make that shot a mainstay in today's game. Both Jimmy Connors and her ushered in a wave of baseline players and the game's never looked back.

Kournikova- She helped to proove how markatble the players can be for the sport. We had Agassi already showing how a personality can markatble, but she took it to another level and helped all the women get a little richer off the courts.

thrust
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Muaremso- When she learned to become comfortable in her own skin I think she became an inspiration for a lot of people. And the fact that she was able to produce her best results later in her career gives hope to a lot of other players out their.

Chris Evert- Her two handed-backhand really helped to make that shot a mainstay in today's game. Both Jimmy Connors and her ushered in a wave of baseline players and the game's never looked back.

Kournikova- She helped to proove how markatble the players can be for the sport. We had Agassi already showing how a personality can markatble, but she took it to another level and helped all the women get a little richer off the courts.
The two handed backhand is one of the worst contributions to the game.
BJK probably contributed the most to the professional game. Martina Navratilova did bring exceptional fitness to the game. Justine proved that a below average sized female can have a greatly effective one handed backhand.

Pasta-Na
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
juju- fighting spirit + without physical advantage (well, still a bit to the Asian girls) :yeah: :)

martina.n- even u annoyed my yan/zheng last year, u r still a legend and contributed a lot to women tennis :kiss:

others are great too :bounce: serena :fiery: no more "lucky shots" and "beach" to my juju again pls :sad: :p

Ryan
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
BJK probably contributed the most to the professional game. Martina Navratilova did bring exceptional fitness to the game. Justine proved that a below average sized female can have a greatly effective one handed backhand.

Two handed backhand one of the worst contributions to the game!?!?! :o You're talking out of your ass.

rottweily
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM
You're talking out of your ass.

Don't reflect your habits onto others.

John.
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Lindsay Davenport - Proved that nice guys don't always come last

DimaDinosaur
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Justine Henin contributed everything

Olórin
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM

That's a pretty bold assertion to make. Would you care to elaborate?

Paneru
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
King: Created WTA
Navratilova: Winningest Player
Williams Sisters: New Physicality
Monica Seles: The Grunt
Kournikova: Glamour

lightningquick
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM
what i think ju has contributed to tennis is that she loves the game so much she spent some of her money to buy and build academies for tennis for kids/new generation and give them possibilities she didnt have.

I chanced upon this article at tennis.com and this was just after the yec championship in 2006 and after ju said she would withdraw from the AO.

Either way, Rodriguez plans to end of his career as a touring coach when Henin-Hardenne retires. “Justine will play for four or five years more and I’ll not be working with pro players any longer,” he said. “Twenty years on the pro circuit is enough for me.

“I’ve got an academy in Belgium, where I train little kids, from 6 to 12 years old. It’s rewarding, children are the best thing in this world,” he said. A second academy has since been opened, with a third to follow later this year.

Rodriguez added that Henin-Hardenne has also played a role here. “Justine wants to give the new generation the possibilities she didn’t have,” he said. “She bought the academy and set it up so that I could have a job apart from coaching her. It was an incredible gift.”

Dodoboy.
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Williams Sisters special mention just because how popular they made it and introducing it to a new class of people!...I mean those ratings prove the previously untapped versatility of the game Tennis.

RVD
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Contributions huh?
Okay here goes...

Venus & Serena:
* Proved that one need not follow the tradition path to becoming a viable [professional] threat and multiple-slam winner.
* Serena proved that as long as you believe in yourself strong enough [even if you are the only one], it can translate into incredible wins.
* Both sisters proved that sometimes the traditional coaching responsibilities can remain within the family, and still win you multiple slams.
* High drama, elevated ratings, and broader fanbase (interest).
* Positive ambassoders of tennis. :worship:

Monica Seles:
* The ultimate comeback story.
* Probably the original Power Tennis Babe.

Kournikova:
* Contributed sex-appeal to a mostly testestorone-driven sport.

esquímaux
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:50 PM
:o You're talking out of your ass.
:tape: Maybe you should offer him a tic tac then :tape:

Dave.
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Lindsay Davenport proved that being pregnant is no excuse to keep off the courts:worship:

Ysabella
Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:32 AM
wow, people here mostly have got intelligent answers, im proud of you,

spiritedenergy
Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
King: Created WTA
Navratilova: Winningest Player
Williams Sisters: New Physicality
Monica Seles: The Grunt
Kournikova: Glamour

Monica Seles contributed "the grunt"???????:tape: You must be drunk or high.

It's very easy for Monica: before her women tennis was slow and boring (I couldn't help but sleep looking at Evert's matches), after her, serve and baseline play were changed forever.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Although Andy Roddick was the first to use the abbreviated service motion, players like Mauremo and Justine have help to contribute in making that a new trend in the women's game.