PDA

View Full Version : ULTIMATE QUESTION: Who is the Greatest Player of ALL Time!!

OZTENNIS
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM
A) Suzanne Lenglen
B) Helen Wills Moody
C) Maureen Connolly
D) Margaret Court
E) Billie Jean King
F) Chris Evert
G) Martina Navratilova
H) Steffi Graf
I) Monica Seles
J) Other (Must Specify)

RJWCapriati
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:24 AM
Seles :worship:

OZTENNIS
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:27 AM
I voted for Martina Navratilova...image what she could have achieved if Evert wasn't around

égalité
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Maureen Connolly had the most amazing feet. :apumpkin:

Harvs
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:33 AM
margy court:)

amount of grand slams won is phenomenal

OZTENNIS
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I've kinda always thought Margaret's results were overlooked...

She achieved much more than a lot of the other contenders and had large breaks in between her successes

RenaSlam.
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM
Maria Sharapova, without a doubt.

Oh wait, this poll isn't WTAWorld :help:

kiwifan
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Serena, on form, is better than all of them. :)

Voted for Chris since if someone had taken out Martina in '82, Chris would have been the all time slam winner. Both Chris and Martina are handicapped in Greatest Of All Time Polls by their rivalry which was by far the Greatest Rivalry.

justine schnyder
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Navratilova :worship: :worship:

Philbo
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Navratilova.. You sure can tell its the off season when this question comes up again lol

Renalicious
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
An inform Serena.

Juju4ever
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Steffi, by far.

Demska
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Steffi by far.

MLF
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Steffi, by far.

By far? I guess you don't know too much about the others on the list or haven't seen footage of them play.

rada
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM
I picked martina but we know all Monica would have been the greatest ;)

rada
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
and please Steffi couldn't win a GS when Monica was around ;)

yolis
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Martina Navratilova for me...I think she is very strong person.... :!

Xander
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM
Martina Navratilova

Matt01
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Voted for Navratilova.

lympyisthebest
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Martina Navratilova

Natalicious
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM
steffi :worship:

Henpova
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
An inform Serena.

First of no no and no. I also love how you have to say INFORM or HEALTHY. Serena will never do what these woman have done.

Henpova
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Martina Navratilova(best all around), Steffi Graf(best singles), Suzanne Lenglen(Made womens tennis what it is)

Kworb
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Seles

the doctor
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
Martina Navratilova
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Olórin
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
First of no no and no. I also love how you have to say INFORM or HEALTHY. Serena will never do what these woman have done.

Psychic are you? Or just disrespectful of other people's opinions? Hmm...

Anyway...in case people hadn't figured it out, there is NO greatest player of all time. Only person bias and subjectivity can influence one to say that Steffi Graf is greater than Martina Navratilova and vice versa. And given the fact that alot of the people voting in this poll won't have even seen 3/4 of these people play makes it pretty null and void.

The fact that NO-ONE has seen Lenglen or Wills-Moody play a full match, and these are clearly two of the greatest of all time, makes it impossible in my view for us to ever come to a remotely acceptable conclusion as to who is the greatest player ever.

Olórin
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Suzanne Lenglen(Made womens tennis what it is)

Not really :unsure: She certainly helped popularize women's tennis and no doubt is a major contributing factor in the development of women's tennis. But to say she made it what it is , is a sweeping statement to say the least. When Suzanne hung up her racquet the game of tennis was nothing remotely like it is now. And I don't think that being pioneer for a particular sport should really contribute when we are talking about who is the greatest tennis player.

Ysabella
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
i voted for steffi :kiss:

Sund7101
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Picked Evert, model of consistancy and I love her two-handed backhand.

Honorable mention--Seles would have been the best player ever if not for the stabbing.

sonnys
Nov 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
I picked martina but we know all Monica would have been the greatest ;)
I love you!!!:kiss:

sonnys
Nov 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Theres only one Seles:worship:

égalité
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Serena, on form, is better than all of them. :)

Who?Serena?

I don't understand how people can say things like this. It's not like there's any way to test it :lol:

plantman
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM

So true!:) But then again, what's to be expected from such an uninfomed poster!:lol:

MistyGrey
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
See my signature ;)

AcesHigh
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
the one and only Steffi Graf

bie
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
I was tempted to give my vote to BJK, the woman so imported for wta-tennis, who has no votes until now but as performances concerned Steffi is IMO the best.

http://users.pandora.be/bie/biehappie/Justine-bekers01.jpg
Roland Garros '03,'05,'06,'07
US Open '03,'07
Australian Open '04
Olympic Gold '04
YEC Madrid '06,'07
39 titles
92 weeks # 1
... and counting ...

John.
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
Steffi Graf

LCS
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Lenglen, simply because she must have lost only a handful of matches in her career while getting drunk with Brandy on changeovers...bow down bitches!

evan2907
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
To me, Margaret Court. With Martina Navratilova just behind her and far ahead the others.:worship:

sfselesfan
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
I picked Helen Wills Moody, based primarily on her accomplishments. However, I'm not a believer in comparing players from different eras.

SF

GrafMariaPetraK
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Steffi Graf

OZTENNIS
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Wow...it's pretty close between Martina N and Steffi G...

Keep voting peoples :angel:

thrust
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Margreat Court. She won all those titles despite taking off as least two years of her prime, one as an early retirement after her marriage before the Open Era and another after her first pregnancy. Considering her record, she probably would have won more than another 20 turnaments along with 4 or 5 more Slams. Overall, she won about 190 sanctioned tournaments.

tennistuff
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM
A) Suzanne Lenglen
B) Helen Wills Moody
C) Maureen Connolly
D) Margaret Court
E) Billie Jean King
F) Chris Evert
G) Martina Navratilova
H) Steffi Graf
I) Monica Seles
J) Other (Must Specify)

Martina all the way. To still compete until 50 years old. WoW

Apoleb
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Who?Serena?

I don't understand how people can say things like this. It's not like there's any way to test it :lol:

Yeah, as if it matters if she's playing "100%" or if she's "on form." Consistency is just as important if not more important than playing at "your best" when judging a player. If you're able to play 100% in 1 every 50 matches and in other matches you suck, then you're simply not good enough. :shrug:

Fidello
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Some kind of stats would be helpful. I voted Margaret Court

*JR*
Nov 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
The blonde le, le, lefthander. (She and Chrissie have also been champion homewreckers). :tape:

Re. Court, I think 11 of her 24 Slam singles titles were in Oz, mostly in an era when a lot of the top players didn't make the long trip on the then slower aircraft.

Henpova
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Not really :unsure: She certainly helped popularize women's tennis and no doubt is a major contributing factor in the development of women's tennis. But to say she made it what it is , is a sweeping statement to say the least. When Suzanne hung up her racquet the game of tennis was nothing remotely like it is now. And I don't think that being pioneer for a particular sport should really contribute when we are talking about who is the greatest tennis player.

The only said that because she the one that got it popular. Most people know she is the reason Wimbledon need a bigger stadium because so many people want to see her. If it was not for her people like BJ King would never of did what they did for the sport. To me she was the first women to make a huge impact on the sport. Also she is the one the brought that drama to the sport. Read about her, she is a great woman.

Dave.
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:06 PM
Navratilova by far! Steffi barely achieved half of what Navratilova did. Court came very close, but Navratilova still did more.

Conor
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
Steffi Graf

Oizo
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
For me it's Steffi :D

égalité
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Navratilova by far! Steffi barely achieved half of what Navratilova did. Court came very close, but Navratilova still did more.

Um, are you serious? :tape:

The only way this could possibly make sense is it you're talking about doubles, but Steffi didn't play very much doubles, so it's a dumb comparison.

And I'm no expert, but 22 isn't "barely half" of 18.

*JR*
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:46 PM
True. But Chrissie didn't have her mind messed up by being stabbed 4 years into that rivalry.

égalité
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
True. But Chrissie didn't have her mind messed up by being stabbed 4 years into that rivalry.

I know... :-/ And I like Monica and really didn't like Graf :tape:

But regardless of circumstances, saying that she accomplished less that half of what Navratilova did is just stupid.

OsloErik
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
If we're talking singles, I'd say the greatest would be Graf, Evert, Court, Navratilova in that order. If we're talking overall, it goes Navratilova, Court, Graf, Evert/BJK. I'll vote for Navratilova because she's the highest combined on that list.

Dave.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Um, are you serious? :tape:

The only way this could possibly make sense is it you're talking about doubles, but Steffi didn't play very much doubles, so it's a dumb comparison.

Yes of course I am talking about doubles. It's not a dumb comparison; nothing stopped Steffi from playing doubles. Navratilova was physically and mentally able to do both, and she had the game to. Steffi could win on the doubles court but she didn't play enough of it and well that counts against her now.

debopero
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Steffi

SvetaPleaseWin.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:51 AM
chris evert for me :D

OZTENNIS
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Wow...Steffi leads Martina by 12 now...Chris Evert is starting to get a few votes too...

mckyle.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
my favorite. duh.

Anabelcroft
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
steffi graf-singles navratilova-doubles

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
I don't know how to judge it. The equipment has changed, and that allowed the style to change.
Court won the most, but she was playing amateur events.
Graf won a lot, but Seles was dominating the slam results when a Graf fan stabbed her.

It's impossible to judge, but I'm confident the best players now, with this equipment, are playing the highest level tennis.

Marc23
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
For me Graf!

Olórin
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
The only said that because she the one that got it popular. Most people know she is the reason Wimbledon need a bigger stadium because so many people want to see her. If it was not for her people like BJ King would never of did what they did for the sport. To me she was the first women to make a huge impact on the sport. Also she is the one the brought that drama to the sport. Read about her, she is a great woman.

I have read about her. And what you say is true. But it doesn't relate whatsoever to making the game what it is today. Saying BJK would never have done what she did if not for Suzanne is pure conjecture.

schris
Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Steffi and Martina

azinna
Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Steffi. Not just because of her achievements and career stats, but also because of her versatility: her ability to start and keep winning big matches on all 4 surfaces and against the best of at least 3 generations.

When you add doubles into the equation, Navratilova gets the nod. But the 1990s were the beginnings of singles/doubles specialization, where the best in singles began to rightly feel tennis had become too demanding physically and mentally to risk fatigue/injury by playing late at night on your rest days in slams. By all means, give BJK, Martina, McEnroe, etc for their props in doubles. But the realities are that Steffi, Sampras, Agassi, Venus, Serena, Justine and Federer will for decades be assessed and compared largely on their singles achievements.

thrust
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
I don't know how to judge it. The equipment has changed, and that allowed the style to change.
Court won the most, but she was playing amateur events.
Graf won a lot, but Seles was dominating the slam results when a Graf fan stabbed her.

It's impossible to judge, but I'm confident the best players now, with this equipment, are playing the highest level tennis.

The amateur events Court played had all the top female players in competition, as there was no women^s pro tour. The only difference in the female competition after 1968 was that the players were allowed to get money for winning. Therefore, all the tournaments Court and King won before 1968 should be included in their carrer accomplishments. Court, overall, won over 180 singles titles, BJK won 104. Also, in Courts day, the top players played doubles. In Navratilova^s day, few top players participated in doubles competition.

top_playerfann
Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
navratilova