PDA

View Full Version : If the Williams Sisters play doubles against Justine & Maria, who you think will win?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Would current form and the surface make any difference? :wavey:

Renalicious
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Maria is bad at doubles and I have never seen Justine play. Serena and Venus are well-accomplished in doubles and have a career grand slam in that area.

Have to go with Rena and Vee here.

Meghanns Journey
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM
The Williams sisters in straight sets.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Maria is bad at doubles and I have never seen Justine play. Serena and Venus are well-accomplished in doubles and have a career grand slam in that area.

Have to go with Rena and Vee here.

Never heard before Maria playing doubles....?

Well, Justine and Maria's combination looks quite bad, but I feel that they might work together well... one hits the shots from the baseline (Maria), and the other attacks at the net (Justine). Something like the "big guy, small guy" combination in football.

Might want to see them try playing together once... see whether they do go well together...

Serenidad.
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
It really would depend on quality of serve. Venus would be the most likely to be broken out of all four. I think the match would depend on Venus serve. Sharapova can't volley as well as the other three, but if she serves well she can try to compensate.

It would be close? Yes, surface would matter. The edge does go to the Williams Sisters because of communication and previous success.

Renalicious
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Never heard before Maria playing doubles....?

Well, Justine and Maria's combination looks quite bad, but I feel that they might work together well... one hits the shots from the baseline (Maria), and the other attacks at the net (Justine). Something like the "big guy, small guy" combination in football.

Might want to see them try playing together once... see whether they do go well together...

She played with Mirnyi at the US Open some time ago, didn't go TOO well. She also plays doubles in World Team Tennis, I saw her play against McEnroe and Harkleroad and she lost with her partner (forgot his name) but it was a pretty bad loss, like she wasn't doing things right.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Vee and Rena- They are proven doubles team.

The only other combination that would match them would be Davenport-Hingis

That is if you wanted former number ones to play together.

I think Kim will do good too pairing with anyone.

Watching
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Serena and Venus have alot more experience at doubles which is entirely different to singles. Masha would be exposed because of her lack of volleying skill.

Harvs
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM
you would HAVE to say venus and serena... they are obvious great doubles players...

and despite henin and sharapova having some old success on the soubles court, neither play enough to be considered really

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Justine/Maria?:lol:

justine schnyder
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
The sisters for sure.
I don't know how is Justine in doubles, but Maria's volley isn't so good..

Maria Croft
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Obviously Venus and Serena, the few double titles Maria has are already from a long time ago, I don't even remember Justine playing doubles.

They might make a good time after a while but Venus and Serena already know how to play together and have won some big double titles.

*W*
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Off course Sisters!

Boreas
Nov 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Justine´s best doubles rankings was 23(she won 2 titles)
Maria´s best ranking was 41 (3 titles) and she was mostly playing with Tanasugarn

DimaDinosaur
Nov 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I wanna post here!

Juju4ever
Nov 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM
It's tough to say, I really don't know. :shrug:

merda2004
Nov 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM
i guess justine and maria....they are in better form

KennyChante4ever
Nov 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I'd love to see this match actually happen! :) I give Venus and Serena the edge for obvious reasons.

bandabou
Nov 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
6 majors, career slam vs..what?? Juju and maria maybe good, but can't see them beating team williams.

esquímaux
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Well since one side of the net would have 2 players kin to each other, why not have the Williams Sisters vs. Masha/Dasha? :p

But to stick to the question asked, I think Masha/Justine would win...:for sure: Justine is deadly at net; not a place I think opponents would like to see her camping at for extended periods. :devil: Especially if Justine did the little squat on the service line up the T. She'd be the embodiment of trouble....for any doubles team. :tape: But the sheer power (and serving?) of the WS would count for something and keep it close:yeah:

Dan23
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
how about Maria/Serena v Justine/Venus?? :lol:

Ysabella
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
wow, masha and juju unite. i like it. :drool:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Justine can win alone facing the 2 Williams and sure she'll benefit from Masha offensive play ,,,

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
how about Maria/Serena v Justine/Venus?? :lol:
Justine'll win also , but lol Masha and Serena the worst grunts in tennis ,,,

freeandlonely
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I want to see this match badly.
And I would love to see
they somehow get some emotion, and even angry
and start to hit others whether they are team or not.

sonnys
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Serena and Venus:bounce:

Smackie
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Definately the Sisters. Doubles need good communication in the Team and I bet the sisters can read each other's mind.

It would be a match to watch for sure.

Petersmiler
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
The sisters would win, probably. They're proven doubles players.

Blu€
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Williams sisters, never seen Henin playing doubles & Maria isnt great at it

Slampova
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
She played with Mirnyi at the US Open some time ago, didn't go TOO well. She also plays doubles in World Team Tennis, I saw her play against McEnroe and Harkleroad and she lost with her partner (forgot his name) but it was a pretty bad loss, like she wasn't doing things right.

She does indeed have 3 doubles titles however :o

serenafan08
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Duh - Serena and Venus would win! They're a good team; they play together.

Donny
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Justine can win alone facing the 2 Williams and sure she'll benefit from Masha offensive play ,,,

Post of the thread.

Tennisstar86
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
you obviously know nothing about tennis..... and its clear that most on this board dont either... Theres a big difference between Doubles and Singles... you cant just stick two good singles players together and make a good doubles team.... Theres things called chemistry.. and the fact that Doubles is a completely different game..... Williams in two EASY sets....

AcesHigh
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
WS in two quick easy sets. The WS aren't great doubles players..they are a great TEAM and that is what matters in doubles. Henin could hold her own, but Sharapova is well below the other three in doubles play and the communication would probably be bad.

A GREAT match would be Serena/Venus vs. Justine/Kim :D

Highlandman
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think the Williams on ALL surfaces and probably quite easy.

Dexter
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Dr Malaysia, you really can't wait for the 2008 season to get underway, can you? :help:

RenaSlam.
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Maria Sharapova can't volley.

Justine would be solid, but Serena and Venus together are a force.

Wave.

Mightymirza
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
ree and vee i guess...:shrug:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM
Dr Malaysia, you really can't wait for the 2008 season to get underway, can you? :help:

Yup :p (and thanks for calling me a "Dr." although I am not :D )

williams.i.am
Nov 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Maria Sharapova can't volley.

Justine would be solid, but Serena and Venus together are a force.

Wave.

exactly. sharapova would stay back the whole time. :tape:

Viktymise
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
LOL @ people voting Justine and Maria. It wouldn't even be close :tape:.

I find it even more hilarious that people are saying they would win with Sharapova standing at the back banging groundstrokes straight at both Venus and Serena at net.

IanRadi
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Most of doubles players aren't in singles as good as in doubles which means doubles is more about tactics and strategies than hitting the ball as it is in singles.

Serena and Venus did it better playing doubles and together. Justine won some things with Shaughnessy but she isn't a good doubles player. It's better not to talk about Maria :tape: