PDA

View Full Version : Justine nominated for top Sports Illustrated Award

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
My Sportsman: Justine Henin

Belgian dominator finally let her tennis do the talking

Posted: Sunday November 18, 2007 7:14PM; Updated: Monday November 19, 2007 12:22PM

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/magazine/specials/sportsman/2007/11/16/newman.henin/p1_henin_1009.jpg
Justine Henin enjoyed her best year on tour in 2007, with a 63-4 record and 10 titles, including the French and U.S. Open crowns.
Manny Millan/SI

By Elizabeth Newman
Sports Illustrated will announce its choice for Sportsman of the Year on Dec. 3. Here's one of the nominations for that honor by an SI writer. For more essays, click here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/magazine/specials/sportsman/2007/archive/index.html).
For the record, I am not a fan of Justine Henin; I never have been. Yes, she was a proven tennis champion, a winner of five Grand Slams -- including three French Open titles -- entering the 2007 season. However, her vapid personality and sullen, Ivan Lendl-like court personality never made me want to break out a "Let's go HEN-in" cry and cheer her on to victory.
Her "incident" during the '03 French Open semifinal against Serena Williams, in which she refused to acknowledge raising her hand during Serena's service motion -- thus leading to a service fault on Serena's part -- nearly gave me a conniption fit.
Her decision to retire in the '06 Australian Open final after trailing Amélie Mauresmo 6-1, 2-0, simply because her tummy hurt, denying Mauresmo the glory that comes with a Grand Slam victory, was blasphemous in my book. Her cries of "Alléz!" when an opponent misses and (in my mind) feigning injuries to catch a breather would bother any tennis purist.
So, no, I've never had much love for Henin and I most certainly never thought I would mention her name in the same breath as the phrase "Sportsman of the Year."
Yet for all of her failures and past transgressions, there was something different about Justine Henin in '07. Something about her personality that was less unnerving and bothersome. Maybe it was the fact that she chose to skip this year's Australian Open to deal with a messy divorce. Maybe it was the fact that she reconciled with her estranged father and siblings, whom she had not spoken to in more than 10 years.
Or maybe it was the fact that, in the face of personal turmoil and anguish, she didn't buckle, but rather took a quick breather before putting her game into fourth gear and beating the snot out of her opponents like David over Goliath (after all, she's only 5-foot-5, compared to the 6-2 Maria Sharapova).
Whatever change happened to Henin in '07, it made her seem less like the insular, detached young woman with the bad manners on the court and more like a champion whose game I wanted to pay attention to and admire.
And admire I did. This year Henin was Federer-esque, enjoying her best season to date by going 63-4 and winning 10 titles, including two majors. That made her the first player since Martina Hingis in 1997 to record double-digit tournament victories in a season.
Her win at the French Open in June was her fourth overall at Roland Garros and third in a row. At the U.S. Open, she became the first woman to stare down and defeat both Williams sisters in a Slam before going on to win the title.
Her year-end victory at the WTA Tour Championships gave Henin her 25th straight win, improving her record to 21-1 against top-10 players in 2007 and giving her a year-end ranking of No. 1 in the world for the second straight year. Not bad for the tennis queen I loved to hate.
More than any other athlete this year, Henin made me focus less on the scowl and the 'tude and more on her achievements and spectacular play. For that alone, she is my Sportsman of the Year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/magazine/specials/sportsman/2007/11/16/newman.henin/

Pureracket
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I hope she wins. It would be good for tennis.

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
:lol:
1) she can't even write allez :o
2) "messy divorce": what does this person know noone else knows?
3) finally let's her tennis do the talking. yeah, because in the past people only talked about her dresses, acting carreer. Finally she dedicates herself to tennis. Finally!

plantman
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM

OMG.......Are you on some type of controlled substance?

This is a post worthy of it's own file...I shall treasure it until my next red dot!!:hatoff:

Best of luck Justine!:bounce: :bounce:

Pureracket
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM

This is a post worthy of it's own file...I shall treasure it until my next red dot!!:hatoff:

Best of luck Justine!:bounce: :bounce:Please....you've NEVER heard me say anything bad about JH(or any other player for that matter). Stop using your delusions in order to justify hatred towards others.

griffin
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Agreed, but I wouldn't hold your breath. They haven't picked a female athlete since the 1999 US Women's Soccer team (that's "football" to the rest of you on the planet ;) ), or a tennis player since Arthur Ashe - and I don't think he got it for tennis.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:32 PM
well, If she wins well deserve.

if she does'nt, we know how great she is in tennis.

Jovana.
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think she deserves it,she had a really succesful year.

rottweily
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
LOL. What's the pseudonym of this idiot on GM? :D

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Best of luck Justine!:bounce: :bounce:

:lol: :lol: :tape:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
For that alone, she is my Sportsman of the Year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rosslyn
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
so federer isn't nominated ?

partbrit
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
She isn't a sportsman.

Tennisation
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:58 PM
She isn't a sportsman.but she looks like one

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:21 AM
She isn't a sportsman.
Does SI have a sportsWOman award?
If they do, Justine is a slam dunk. Her year was historic.
If Justine doesn't win the ESPY for women's tennis, they might as well do away with it. It's worthless if Justine doesn't win it for 2007.

tard~tard
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Her decision to retire in the '06 Australian Open final after trailing [B]Amélie Mauresmo 6-1, 2-0, simply because her tummy hurt, denying Mauresmo the glory that comes with a Grand Slam victory, was blasphemous in my book."

:yawn:

Some (so called) journalists would rather choke in the word
"stomach ulcer" then to admit the truth.
Elisabeth Newman should stick to the likes of Britney Spears
and Paris Hilton and leave the true greats to those who know
what they're talking about.

Matt01
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Who is the bastard who wrote this article? :mad:

Martian Jeza
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I think she deserves it,she had a really succesful year.

You have other women who deserves it even more : Kluft for example.

Apoleb
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM

I think it would much more beneficial for you if you take your pills and do a round of meditation. This drivel of hatred won't help. :shrug:

Martian Jeza
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I think it would much more beneficial for you if you take your pills and do a round of meditation. This drivel of hatred won't help. :shrug:

Why should Henin always recieve awards when you at the same time have other sportwomen who achieved also big things and worked as hard as Henin to get them :rolleyes: Be real, this hype around Henin works on my nerves. My pills ? Again a personnal attack, great thing !

plantman
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't her day come and gone?
When did she last compete in a heptathlon?

sarciness
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I have no respect for such an American sports biased award.

Apoleb
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Why should Henin always recieve awards when you at the same time have other sportwomen who achieved also big things and worked as hard as Henin to get them :rolleyes: Be real, this hype around Henin works on my nerves. My pills ? Again a personnal attack, great thing !

Well, judging by the astonishing level of hatred you spew, I knew there must be something wrong. It's OK though. Just try to control all that negative energy. :hug:

Juju4ever
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Justine you're the best! :worship:

I think she should win it. :)

DimaDinosaur
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Who wrote this article? It's terrible writing.

lightningquick
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Ju will probably not win it, just look at how she is presented in the article LOL. The writer had to emphasize that she is not a fan. :lol:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Well, judging by the astonishing level of hatred you spew, I knew there must be something wrong. It's OK though. Just try to control all that negative energy. :hug:

That's Martian Jeza to you :lol: ... he/she/it/whatever is like a "mosquito repellant" to Justine.

Meghanns Journey
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I think Justine deserves it but I could see them giving it to (that's if they actually want to honor the athletic achievement of a woman) to Paula Radcliffe.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Venus will win it.Or Serena.:p

Because they are Americans.;)

griffin
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Some (so called) journalists would rather choke in the word
"stomach ulcer" then to admit the truth.
Elisabeth Newman should stick to the likes of Britney Spears
and Paris Hilton and leave the true greats to those who know
what they're talking about.

In your opinion, does Newman's "not knowing what she's talking about" extend to her belief that Henin should get the award?

Just curious.

I don't know enough about sports like golf, skating, athletics, etc. to say whether or not Justine deserves this award (or any other) more than women in those fields. But if Steffi Graf didn't get it for winning 4 grand slams and a gold medal, what makes anyone think Justine will get it for 2 Slams and the YEC? (you can see a list of past winners here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year)

Curt Schilling's wife has a better shot than she does.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
They never gave this award to Federer. They might give it to Federer the year he passes Sampras.
If they wanted to do some pro-women type of situation, they could give it to both tennis #1's.

Smackie
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Not that I care what this woman writes nor I think Justine cares about the award. However, this is the most opinionated piece of sports journalism I've ever read. I thought it was written by someone on this board...until I saw the link to SI.com.....

Someone above is right, she should stick with tabliod....suits her style.

thenj
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
wtf? this shouldn't be called sports journalism

treufreund
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Actually Justine is a sportsman. In compound words in the English language the posterior substantive "man" can refer to a man or woman. A fisherman can be a man or woman, same with a fireman. For that matter we say "human" not "huwoman" or "huperson" :rolleyes: We don't write "sportswoman", "firewoman", "fisherwoman" or any other such PC nonsense. Any basic knowledge of the workings of the English language (despite retarded political correctness) mandates that a "sportsman" may be a man or a woman. Now, SI just needs to prove me right by naming JUSTINE "sportsman" of the year for 2007 :D

thrust
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM

This IS a tennis forum, therefore, most are likely to be partial to tennis players who have had outstanding years to win awards. Have no fear though, Justine will NOT win this award this year. Had she won the Grand Slam she would have had a chance, otherwise, she doesn^t have a chance in hell of winning this year. Offhand I can^t think of another woman who deserves it more but I do not, besides tennis and a little golf, follow women^s sports.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Actually Justine is a sportsman. In compound words in the English language the posterior substantive "man" can refer to a man or woman. A fisherman can be a man or woman, same with a fireman. For that matter we say "human" not "huwoman" or "huperson" :rolleyes: We don't write "sportswoman", "firewoman", "fisherwoman" or any other such PC nonsense. Any basic knowledge of the workings of the English language (despite retarded political correctness) mandates that a "sportsman" may be a man or a woman.

Pretty much. I'm glad someone else did this instead of me, I didn't feel up to being an asshole. :o

About the article, well, I don't read sports journalism outside of Peter Bodo, and this isn't entirely unlike what he'd write, so I have no opinion on the quality of the article. Although I did feel initially that it was a bit too "yellow journalism" for my taste. At least Peter's site is strictly online, doesn't this go in a magazine?

I mean, it's not like what she said was wrong, although some "facts" definitely skewed. But it was so negative when this is about what her accomplishments should be. I can't believe this got published.

She won't get the award, but I hope getting nominated means something to her.

The Crow
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:58 PM
In your opinion, does Newman's "not knowing what she's talking about" extend to her belief that Henin should get the award?

Just curious.

I don't know enough about sports like golf, skating, athletics, etc. to say whether or not Justine deserves this award (or any other) more than women in those fields. But if Steffi Graf didn't get it for winning 4 grand slams and a gold medal, what makes anyone think Justine will get it for 2 Slams and the YEC? (you can see a list of past winners here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year)

Curt Schilling's wife has a better shot than she does.

Indeed. And letting someone nominate her who spends half the article on why she doesn't like Justine won't help either.

Sally Struthers
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
oh she has no shot. Tiger will be sportsman of the year

evan2907
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM
She won't win. She's not american. The last 10 winners are american. In more than 50 years ago, only 9 winners are not american, and only 5 are not from the American continent.
We all know that Americans voted for their compatriot. They don't know the world around them.:help:

Ryan
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
This article is crap, but THIS one is even more insulting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/magazine/specials/sportsman/2007/11/07/bamberger.williams/index.html

A fucking CADDIE is getting nominated for Sportsman of the year. Ridiculous.

lightningquick
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/magazine/specials/sportsman/2007/11/07/bamberger.williams/index.html

omg, now i've seen and read everything. :lol:

stickwitju(ju)
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Justine won't win. She's not American and she's not a guy.

SI blows.

Wimbledon9
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
They could not find a year to give this award to Martina Navratilova, and she gave them many years to choose from. So why give it to a Belgian.

Martian KC
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM

LFR! Fuck you, SI.:lol:

lee station
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Actually Justine is a sportsman. In compound words in the English language the posterior substantive "man" can refer to a man or woman. A fisherman can be a man or woman, same with a fireman. For that matter we say "human" not "huwoman" or "huperson" :rolleyes: We don't write "sportswoman", "firewoman", "fisherwoman" or any other such PC nonsense. Any basic knowledge of the workings of the English language (despite retarded political correctness) mandates that a "sportsman" may be a man or a woman. Now, SI just needs to prove me right by naming JUSTINE "sportsman" of the year for 2007 :D
huwoman :lol:

lightningquick
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM

SI people: Hmmmm... we can't let tiger win anymore, he has won it twice, so who do we nominate? *Looks at photos of tiger with a guy lifting his bag* Ahhhhh... here's the answer. Problem solved gentlemen.

Mercury Rising
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
SI people: Hmmmm... we can't let tiger win anymore, he has won it twice, so who do we nominate? *Looks at photos of tiger with a guy lifting his bag* Ahhhhh... here's the answer. Problem solved gentlemen.
:lol: i bet it happened like that

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
They should have let Frank Deford write the article. He wrote a very positive Justine article on SI.com a few months ago.