PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Williams sisters more injury-prone than other players?

debopero
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Does anybody know? :sad:

slydevil6142
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Maybe it comes down to genetics??.... they are related and both get hurt all the time. Ive always felt they should get rid of kerry but they like her so who am i haha

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Lol - who knows! I guess shit just happens :lol:

I would rather win a slam and be injured than play a Bartoli type year!

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM
As far as injuries go they are in rather good company and aren't more prone, but rather just like a lot of players constantly dealing with injur:

Muaresmo- back, thigh, groin, shoulder, apendicites.....

Bovina- poor gilr can't get a lucky break, too many injuries to list

C. Rubin- ditto that for her

Pierce- (See Bovina Comment)

Davenport- back, knee (surgery), toe, arm

Sharapova- looks like she's on her way, so early in her career and she's already having so many physical problems

E. Danilidou-Seems like every other year she's dealing with some sort of injury

Vaidisova & Golovin- (see Sharapova comment)

Na Li, Safarova, Mirza, Zvonereva, Alexandra Stevenson, Jie Zheng, JCap, Seles- they've all had multiple injuries to contend with through the years

It's frustrating when your favorite players are so damn injury prone, but it's nothing exclusive to just Venus and Serena.

Helen Lawson
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
They're old as tennis players go, that's one thing. Big Masha will be a walking rehab clinic at their age. She's already falling apart like at twenty! Poor girl. Power girls get injured more. Plus, if you've seen Venus up close, the girl is very fragile, teeny tiny wrists and ankles, she appears delicate in person, doing all those shots has to kill those wrists and running like hell is hard on those tiny ankles. I'll have scorn heaped on me for this, but Serena is still way too fat, and if you believe the crap on that reality show, she's lazy about doing her rehab exercises on her knee, and probably other problem areas, too. She's got a tough and ready body, but she's putting too much strain on it. Mary Pierce is far more a physical player than they are, and her whole career was a series of injuries, and so was Kim's before she cut it short. I'm telling you now, Big Masha is fucked in a couple of years, she's built like Venus and plays just as physically.

SerenaSlam
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:25 AM
mary carillo said it best when she said that serena and venus tweek their bodies and put much more effort into all of there tennis. i mean look how often their knees hit the ground on shots, how low they get, they are powerful in more than jus the arms etc. especially serena. when it comes to her legs etc

DannerCal
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
They aren't. they just bullshit their injuries more often as excuses for losing, withdrawing, or taking a timeout when they are down in a match.

Uranium
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
^^
You're dumb, so they sit on a couch for 6 months saying they're injured when they're not. shut up
They have pre-existing injuries that get worse like serena's knee because they are some of the biggest hitters and lack of play means your body is not used to a lot of stress like long matches. but they're getting fitter to win slams in 2008.

GoDominique
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Several reasons:

1. They have put intense strain on their bodies since early age. You pay for that when you reach the mid-20's at the latest. See Graf, Seles etc. etc.
2. In Serena's case laziness and lack of proper preparation.
3. In Venus' case probably bad technique in the sense that it's too stressful on her wrists for example.
4. Not all their 'injuries' are legit.

Tennisstar86
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:56 AM
A) as others have said they play a power game..... it puts more wear on the body.. bending the knees etc...
B) preexisting injuries only get worse.... cure up a bit, but then get worse even more... its the human body..
C) they really arent more prone too them... ALL the top players really just get injured cause they play so much and get so deep into the draws they actually do compete in that injuries happen... Look at the injuries we had this year...

Heck everyone looked beat down by the championships...

Aaron.
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:15 AM
They aren't. they just bullshit their injuries more often as excuses for losing, withdrawing, or taking a timeout when they are down in a match. Find a new hobby :yawn: :idiot:

RVD
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
As far as injuries go they are in rather good company and aren't more prone, but rather just like a lot of players constantly dealing with injur:

Sharapova- looks like she's on her way, so early in her career and she's already having so many physical problems

Na Li, Safarova, Mirza, Zvonereva, Alexandra Stevenson, Jie Zheng, JCap, Seles- they've all had multiple injuries to contend with through the years

It's frustrating when your favorite players are so damn injury prone, but it's nothing exclusive to just Venus and Serena.Great post Sir Stefwhit. I completely agree. :)

littlebin
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Because they relied too much on their bodies during their early tennis career. They hitted so hard,stretched their bodies so hard to generate power, to run. At the end, even their bodies can not sustain.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Find a new hobby :yawn: :idiot:

Ahw man, I have that fool on ignore so I don't have to read his idiotic post- but thanks to you quoting him it's like he's back in my life. I need a shower now....

fioredeliberi
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM
It's their inability to hit LUCKY SHOTS that causes the injuries.

Dawn Marie
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:12 AM

It's frustrating when your favorite players are so damn injury prone, but it's nothing exclusive to just Venus and Serena.

Agreed. Many players get injured.

spiritedenergy
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
They're old as tennis players go, that's one thing. Big Masha will be a walking rehab clinic at their age. She's already falling apart like at twenty! Poor girl. Power girls get injured more. Plus, if you've seen Venus up close, the girl is very fragile, teeny tiny wrists and ankles, she appears delicate in person, doing all those shots has to kill those wrists and running like hell is hard on those tiny ankles. I'll have scorn heaped on me for this, but Serena is still way too fat, and if you believe the crap on that reality show, she's lazy about doing her rehab exercises on her knee, and probably other problem areas, too. She's got a tough and ready body, but she's putting too much strain on it. Mary Pierce is far more a physical player than they are, and her whole career was a series of injuries, and so was Kim's before she cut it short. I'm telling you now, Big Masha is fucked in a couple of years, she's built like Venus and plays just as physically.

shhhhhhhh, don't tell her fans, they won't believe you (or just won't admit they do).

spiritedenergy
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
It's their inability to hit LUCKY SHOTS that causes the injuries.

:haha:

KennyChante4ever
Nov 20th, 2007, 10:53 AM
mary carillo said it best when she said that serena and venus tweek their bodies and put much more effort into all of there tennis. i mean look how often their knees hit the ground on shots, how low they get, they are powerful in more than jus the arms etc. especially serena. when it comes to her legs etc

This is true. Tennis is quite a work-out for Serena and Venus. As their opponents have said over the years, they get to a lot of balls that the majority of the players would not. It has all taken its toll. It doesn't help matters that at the moment, Serena is out of shape and Venus is vulnerable to injuries because her body is fragile. That said, I think their efforts over the span of their careers should be respected regardless if you dislike their personalities.

KennyChante4ever
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Several reasons:

1. They have put intense strain on their bodies since early age. You pay for that when you reach the mid-20's at the latest. See Graf, Seles etc. etc.
3. In Venus' case probably bad technique in the sense that it's too stressful on her wrists for example.

That's been said in a few tennis articles over the years but I never bought into it. I really don't think that Serena or Venus would pull out of a tournament or retire during a match unless they were injured. They love to win too much to just tank like that. Yes, there are times when they were unrealistic and should never have entered the tournament but their desire to win has never been in question. I know their outside interests will probably come up in this thread but those activities haven't prevented them from winning so I don't see it as a valid argument.

Matt01
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Several reasons:

I agree with all this. And the first reason you gave is probably the main reason.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Instead of asking why the sister's are more prone to injury, a better question to ask would be 'why does no one ever question the legitimacy of other players that constantly deal with injuries?' Only Vee and Rena are scrutinized with questions of doubt, yet they're not the only players to constantly deal with injury.

Matt01
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Instead of asking why the sister's are more prone to injury, a better question to ask would be 'why does no one ever question the legitimacy of other players that constantly deal with injuries?' Only Vee and Rena are scrutinized with questions of doubt, yet they're not the only players to constantly deal with injury.

You are wrong about that. And you should better stop your selective reading.

Petersmiler
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM

While I agree that V & S are generally put under more scrutiny than some other players (read: less successful players) you can't have failed to notice all the 'Shoulder injury' threads regarding Maria last year. Nor the continuing hate campaign against Justine for the AO Final.

pav
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM
The sheer weight of fans on their back
can cause the strongest players to crack
just think of living with that expectation
to cause utter and complete domination

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:18 PM
While I agree that V & S are generally put under more scrutiny than some other players (read: less successful players) you can't have failed to notice all the 'Shoulder injury' threads regarding Maria last year. Nor the continuing hate campaign against Justine for the AO Final.

Good point, that's true. I do remember. I still think no one gets it quite like Serena though...

Donny
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Bad analogy. Maria said at several points during the year, that her shoulder was fine.Even after some losses (notably the USO) she said her shoulder had absolutely nothing to do with it, yet her fans continued insist that it did.

miffedmax
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I think it's a combination of genetics and style of play, and sure the WS aren't the only ones like that. Pick a sport and you can find examples of players who have more injury problems than their peers.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:10 AM
stefwhit you got it right once more :worship:

williams.i.am
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM

PREACH!!! :worship: these haters act like aint anybody else is ever injured. :rolleyes:

Petersmiler
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Bad analogy. Maria said at several points during the year, that her shoulder was fine.Even after some losses (notably the USO) she said her shoulder had absolutely nothing to do with it, yet her fans continued insist that it did.

You know I could have sworn that Serena kept insisting she was fine too. Even at the times when it was blatantly obvious she was injured. The point I was making was that people were questioning the validity of Marias injury. Whether that injury was reported by the player or by the fans is irrelevant to the point, it was still questioned.