PDA

View Full Version : Where will Justine be, if they didnt slow the Courts down??

Direwolf
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
well?? pick any...

GoDominique
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
She would be ranked 9999th.

Direwolf
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
not to take away Justine's accomplishment..
I think that she would have more trouble winning the USO...

Direwolf
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM
She would be ranked 9999th.

you're answer simply bring
wonders...

but lets not forget that
that there is still clay..

chuvack
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
who told you that the USO courts were slowed down. I didn't hear about this.

Serenidad.
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
LOL! All the courts have been slowed down. Old Carpet is way faster than this new shit they call a fastcourt. Wimbledon is much much slower than in the 90s which has allowed many players to have more success.

I'm not saying she would have a drastic difference in ranking, but she would have to work harder. She breaks down when she is rushed consistently.

chuvack
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM
LOL! All the courts have been slowed down. Old Carpet is way faster than this new shit they call a fastcourt. Wimbledon is much much slower than in the 90s which has allowed many players to have more success.

carpets and Wimby have been slowed down, but I never heard any players saying that the USOpen courts have been slowed down.

plantman
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
With her amazing ability to hit "lucky shots" on all surfaces, I'd expect she'd still be the Roger Federer of the WTA, and the #1 ranked player!:)

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Lmao... she isn't the Roger Federer at all. Shows how much you know :)

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
What has Birmingham got to do with anything?

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Lmao... she isn't the Roger Federer at all. Shows how much you know :)

Bjorn Borg thinks she is, he said it on a Belgian TV show yesterday. Have you ever heard of Bjorn Borg?

McEnroe, Austin, Fernandez have said it too. :)

I think Bjorn Borg and all the above professionals know rather more about Justine being Federer like than you do, don't you? Show's how much you know too! I bet Bjorn Borg can spell :spit:

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Bjorn Borg - who the hell is he? :lol:

I guess it's just a matter of opinion then :)

Vlad Tepes
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Exactly, how could she lose a tournament she never won in the first place? :scratch:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Bjorn Borg - who the hell is he? :lol:

That is a JOKE isn't it? :tape: :help:

You cannot be serious? :D

lightningquick
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
vlad ju looks so pretty in your avatar. :hearts:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Exactly, how could she lose a tournament she never won in the first place? :scratch:

Just shows how much some posters know about tennis or about the player - they don't even know what tournaments she plays :haha:

eck
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I thought the USOpen courts were faster than ever

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM
That is a JOKE isn't it? :tape: :help:

You cannot be serious? :D

Of course I know who he is...he designs underwear or something doesn't he? :lol:

Priceless! Go research sarcasm :haha:

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Btw I think you mean Eastbourne not B'ham :)

Max565
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
They never slowed down the US Open courts...

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Yeah I know, this just proves how much the OP knows about tennis ... they slowed down the USO Courts and she played Birmingham :tape: :lol: :lol:

Och it's a laugh!

Olórin
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM

The courts at the US Open play differently year to year apparently. I think it was in 2001, I recall one of the commentators saying they'd had a hit on the courts and that the Australian ones were faster that particular year....it just depends....

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Wow imagine mistaking what tournaments Justine has played this year! What a crime!

Get over yourself and give the guy a break. At least he/she is trying to generate interest with new threads.

Helaena
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
solid no. 1 no doubt :kiss:

DragonFlame
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
At least he/she is trying to generate interest with new threads.

You're not exactly objective audience. Trying to downgrade justine's performance isn't what i call nice interest:rolleyes:

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I haven't downgraded her performance at all in this thread? The guy made a mistake, it doesn't mean it's the end of the world and that you should just attack him.

But yeh I am biased in a thread about Henin... :tape: So are you too though ;)

AcesHigh
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Dumb thread. Who would she lose to? Only difference would be if somehow the USO courts were faster, Venus might have taken it to a 3rd and then have lost 6-2 or something after Justine tires her out. Other than that... no difference.

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I still think she would finish number 1 - I guess you can never really know how things could change.

Bottom line is the ifs and buts dont come into it. It is what it is :)

Melly Flew Us
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
it's an interesting question but the only real difference would be @ wimbledon, where she might not have reached the final.

thrust
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
What hard courts are now slower than they were 4 years ago? How many torunaments are on carpet these days? Justine has not played on any carpet courts lately. She hasn^t won Wimbledon yet, but she did get to the finals when it was faster in 2001. Were the Wimbledon courts faster in 2001? Bottom line is, Justine^s record would be what it has been and is. I have heard that the Roland Garros courts are faster than they used to be. If so, that hasn^t hurt Justine^s game either.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM
:o at this thread

AcesHigh
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
What hard courts are now slower than they were 4 years ago? How many torunaments are on carpet these days? Justine has not played on any carpet courts lately. She hasn^t won Wimbledon yet, but she did get to the finals when it was faster in 2001. Were the Wimbledon courts faster in 2001? Bottom line is, Justine^s record would be what it has been and is. I have heard that the Roland Garros courts are faster than they used to be. If so, that hasn^t hurt Justine^s game either.

:lol: I never heard that about Roland Garros.

The courts have been getting slower and slower though. ESPECIALLY Wimbledon which kind of disgusts me and probably the tennis purists. Grass shouldn't play like clay. USO I think has stayed close to the same speed.

However, to defend Justine, she made Wimby final in 2001 when it was faster and would adapt to any surface against most players. I would only see her having trouble against the likes of Sharapova, Venus and Serena.

@danieln1
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Definetly she would lose Birmingham! hahahahaha

OsloErik
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think she may have won Wimbledon already if the courts played faster. Back in 2001 and early 2002, Henin made a name for herself by playing pretty tennis at the net. She serve and volleyed at Wimbledon '01 more than anyone in the draw (except maybe Venus, who was god back then). She serve and volleyed even though she didn't have a big serve back then, nor did she really hit drives to get to net. Now that she can hit drives to get to net, she'd be winning on grass much more easily if it played faster.

Henin's issues on grass are twofold: she's gotten herself so set on being the best clay courter alive that she tends to get passive. Also, she sometimes plays on grass like it's 2001 and gets a little pretty. The only player alive right now who volleys better is Mauresmo, and she's in a state of suckage right now, so you'd think Henin would want to stake claim to being the best volleyer on tour, but it'll spread her too thin. She can't dominate like she has if she combines the two styles, because both will likely suffer. If the grass season were a week longer, I think Henin would have won Wimbledon by now. She needs the time to get used to the surface.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Still ranked number one.
Some of you are acting as if the tournaments that Justine plays haven't been slow for years.
Montreal/Toronto has been slow for over a decade. Doha has been a slow court well. Miami.

Wimbledon is slower but that hurts Justine. That gives younger players with just ok footwork on grass to get to a few more balls in.
Certainly was a factor in that Bartoli/Justine match there.

Clay is as slow as it's always been.
The Australian Open has slowly been getting faster.
The US Open is still fast. When Nadal makes it to the final then you can worry about that.

Juju4ever
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Ranked #763 in the world.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:57 AM
The only thing I remember is that Wimby was really slow... others were just normal. AO was the same, FO is still clay, and USO doesn't change at all.

That said, she'll still be No.1 with 2 Slams. Nothing will change.

justine schnyder
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM
The same as now! :rocker2:

Paul.be
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Bjorn Borg thinks she is, he said it on a Belgian TV show yesterday. Have you ever heard of Bjorn Borg?

McEnroe, Austin, Fernandez have said it too. :)

I think Bjorn Borg and all the above professionals know rather more about Justine being Federer like than you do, don't you? Show's how much you know too! I bet Bjorn Borg can spell :spit:

Navratilova doesn't think she's the female Federer. :)
She said Federer is the male Henin. ;)

Direwolf
Dec 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
carpets and Wimby have been slowed down, but I never heard any players saying that the USOpen courts have been slowed down.

I got bored...
and started reading some USO interviews, actually just Venuss

Venus def Ivanovic 6-4 6-2

Q. How different do you approach this from Wimbledon? Because your game a somewhat similar. You've been coming in a lot, and hitting the ball pretty big, the way you would on grass. Is the surface similar so it makes it easier for you to play that or do you say, Hey I'm going to play like I did at Wimbledon, why not?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I definitely have the game where I'm hitting the set up shot that I should come in, so I have to obviously do the right thing and come in. I think the courts are playing slower, to be honest. I see a lot of long points now, a lot of people running down a lot of balls. So I don't think the courts are playing too fast as in previous years maybe.

well atleast someone noticed the slownest of the court..

VS Fan
Dec 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
To the tennis tournaments:

Please STOP F'in with the game. Do not slow down or speed up courts. Do not use HEAVER balls that can cause injury to the players. (Dubia)

Wimbledon, Please use the same grass you used in the 70s and 80s. STOP screwing with the game..... please.

Roland Garros, Please do NOT hose down the court to make it even slower than normal before a match.

A clay court should be a standard clay court, as well as grass, hard, rebound ace or carpet. STOP F'in with the game!!

Ninny
Dec 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I got bored...
and started reading some USO interviews, actually just Venuss

Venus def Ivanovic 6-4 6-2

Q. How different do you approach this from Wimbledon? Because your game a somewhat similar. You've been coming in a lot, and hitting the ball pretty big, the way you would on grass. Is the surface similar so it makes it easier for you to play that or do you say, Hey I'm going to play like I did at Wimbledon, why not?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I definitely have the game where I'm hitting the set up shot that I should come in, so I have to obviously do the right thing and come in. I think the courts are playing slower, to be honest. I see a lot of long points now, a lot of people running down a lot of balls. So I don't think the courts are playing too fast as in previous years maybe.

well atleast someone noticed the slownest of the court..

She said "maybe", which sounds to me that she wasn't too sure. :D

Never mind though, I'm sure you'll find someone from the profession that says it was slower hence why Justine won :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Where would all the power players be if everyone used wooden ones :rolleyes:

thrust
Dec 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
In reality it makes no difference. You can only play and win on the courts as they are, when you play them. I think the reason Wimbledon plays more like a clay court now is that, due to the equipment, players play more from the back of the court which eats up the grass and exposes the dirt. Previously, the area around the net was eaten up because there was much more action there.

Thanx4nothin
Dec 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
You're not exactly objective audience. Trying to downgrade justine's performance isn't what i call nice interest:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: And you are objective with your Justine is no.1 signature...now aren't you....:rolleyes:

Thanx4nothin
Dec 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Oh and there would be no difference...really

shell
Dec 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
To the tennis tournaments:

Please STOP F'in with the game. Do not slow down or speed up courts. Do not use HEAVER balls that can cause injury to the players. (Dubia)

Wimbledon, Please use the same grass you used in the 70s and 80s. STOP screwing with the game..... please.

Roland Garros, Please do NOT hose down the court to make it even slower than normal before a match.

A clay court should be a standard clay court, as well as grass, hard, rebound ace or carpet. STOP F'in with the game!!

The grass in the 70s and 80s was played on by players using vastly different racquet technology. If they would hold the line on the power of the racquets, then they could stop mucking with the courts. Strings too.

Justine would be in the same place. She has shown she is willing and able to adapt her game as needed to the players that force her too.

serenus_2k8
Dec 9th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Justine hardly conspired to slow things down so she could be number 1. If someone else truly deserved to be number one they would have been able to adjust their game and still be up there.

The real question is 'Where will Justine be after Serena wins USO and Venus takes the French?'

Demska
Dec 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM
LOL @ the poll.

Direwolf
Dec 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
The grass in the 70s and 80s was played on by players using vastly different racquet technology. If they would hold the line on the power of the racquets, then they could stop mucking with the courts. Strings too.

Justine would be in the same place. She has shown she is willing and able to adapt her game as needed to the players that force her too.

but the thing is..
Justine has trouble
if someone blast a ball to her backhand...

anyways..
its in the past...

I Just hope that
the court wont go any slower than it is today..!

mboyle
Dec 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Show's how much you know too! I bet Bjorn Borg can spell :spit:

Wow...this is really funny. You're trying to correct someone's grammar, but in fact, it is you, not he, who has made the error.

Apostrophes can be used to show possession, to indicate a contraction, or to pluralize letters in the alphabet or numbers (a's and 1's.) Only dumb people think that the apostrophe and "s" combination is used to create the third person singular form of verbs.

Shows how much you know...

mboyle
Dec 10th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Justine hardly conspired to slow things down so she could be number 1. If someone else truly deserved to be number one they would have been able to adjust their game and still be up there.

The real question is 'Where will Justine be after Serena wins USO and Venus takes the French?'

Venus winning the French is a long shot. Serena...well...I mean in theory it's a likely possibility, but trying to predict what Serena Williams is going to do is a futile folly. I've gotten to the point where I don't even include her in my tournament predictions. I simply say, "this is what will happen unless the real Serena Williams decides to stand up." So...I wouldn't bet on either outcomes.