PDA

View Full Version : Henin backs life bans for cheats

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Was this ever posted in the GM? I can't remember... think the answer is yes... :confused:

Anyway, here's the article....

Henin backs life bans for cheats

World number one Justine Henin believes tennis authorities should take a zero tolerance stance on cheats and give life bans to those caught match-fixing.

Tennis has been hit by a series of match-fixing allegations recently.

And, asked whether players should be banned for life if they are found to be involved in match-fixing, Henin told BBC's Inside Sport: "For sure, yes.

"I am zero tolerance about that. It is very important and this kind of thing should not happen."

Men's tennis has been dogged by speculation over match fixing in recent months with several players, including Arnaud Clement, Michael Llodra and Gilles Elseneer saying they had turned down offers to throw matches.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif
Meanwhile, world number four Nikolay Davydenko continues to be investigated following the discovery of unusual betting patterns on his match against Argentine Martin Vassallo Arguello in Poland in August.

However Henin, who clinched the season-ending Sony Ericsson Championships title in Madrid, said she had not witnessed such activities herself.

"It's pretty sad," she added. "I can tell you I have never heard anything or no-one ever came to me, but if we talk about that it means it probably exists in the sport.

"It's not easy to find out what happened and if it happened because we have no proof about that at this time, but it is like doping for me - it is not more important or less important.

"The tour is doing a great job and we want to keep (tennis) a healthy sport."

See the full interview with Justin Henin on Monday's Inside Sport from 2320 GMT

Henpova
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Well I am glad she is taking this stand

chuvack
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
yes it was posted and anyway she didnt say anything really interesting

justine schnyder
Nov 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I have just read it in hebrew :lol:
Well said Justine :yeah:

lightningquick
Nov 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
off topic, did u guys catch a glimpse of celine dion asking ju to play in her private tennis court? COOOOOOLLLLLL

Henpova
Nov 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
off topic, did u guys catch a glimpse of celine dion asking ju to play in her private tennis court? COOOOOOLLLLLL

Really?

lightningquick
Nov 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Really?

yes from the transcript of the tv show done on her by belgian tv. i saw it too celine gave her a message but i dont know what it was until i saw the post by bie in ju's forum.

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Wow!!! Well I suppose if you are going to mix with celebs, make sure they are classy and right at the top!!! Well done Justine! Nice to see class and style are following you! :)

ViennaCalling
Nov 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
What a surprise :rolleyes: :help:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Didn't Bjorn Borg call her the "Federer of Woman's Tennis"?

Oh well, I guess that puts an end to that debate then. I think I'd rather listen to Bjorn Borg's opinion than posters on this board plus who knows better, Bjorn Borg or posters on this board? :spit:

So that's 2 professionals that have said it Borg and Mirza. Not bad. If professionals can say it then surely it's got to be 85% true.

Justine Henin is the Federer of woman's tennis. Case closed.

lightningquick
Nov 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Oh well, I guess that puts an end to that debate then. I think I'd rather listen to Bjorn Borg's opinion than posters on this board plus who knows better, Bjorn Borg or posters on this board? :spit:

So that's 2 professionals that have said it Borg and Mirza. Not bad. If professionals can say it then surely it's got to be 85% true.

yep, borg did say that.

thrust
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM

SO TRUE!

thrust
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM

McEnroe, Austin, Fernandez have said it too!

stickwitju(ju)
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Well I am glad she is taking this stand

All the players should!

:rocker2:

plantman
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Wow!!! Well I suppose if you are going to mix with celebs, make sure they are classy and right at the top!!! Well done Justine! Nice to see class and style are following you! :)

Perhaps Celine will discover the "voice of an angel" in Justine's singing and a duet will follow in a couple of years!:bounce: :bounce:

Her name is Justine.....
Justine is a Latin name which mean "true" or "just".
So it's rather fitting that she should feel so strongly about this topic! :)

Pheobo
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
She should have had herself banned after the 2003 RG semifinal if we're going to talk about cheating. Of course, I don't believe that. Most people make mistakes in their careers. I'm sure that none of you would support being banned from your own profession if you had one moment of lapsed judgement.

lightningquick
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
henin will outbelt celine i tell ya and she can thrash ju on the tennis court 64 57 52 ret.

Apoleb
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
More players should take that position, and if they do, I don't see any reason why a permanent ban won't be isntalled. It definitely should be the way doping is handled.

Martian Jeza
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

Groenefelder25
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

:tape: :lol:

eck
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

:lol:

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

:haha:
Justine, une femme, une star :haha:

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

LMAO :worship:

sfselesfan
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
But if there were a life ban for cheating, Justine wouldn't have been able to play after Roland Garros in 2003.

SF

Tennisation
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
life ban for cheating? then why is she still playing?:bolt:

evan2907
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
But if there were a life ban for cheating, Justine wouldn't have been able to play after Roland Garros in 2003.

SF

And the Williams would never been able to play tennis in WTA.

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM

SF

wahhaaaaah!!! you're so right! :yeah: :yeah: :amen:

You should make a poll about it. How many GS's would Justinehave won if there was a life ban on cheating:
1. none
2 zero
3 nada
4 not one

:woohoo:

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
life ban for cheating? then why is she still playing?:bolt:

wow, how very original. :yeah:

Denise4925
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Fashion, now this. :haha:

Craigy
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

:spit:

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Yeah, next thing you know she'll be dating P. Diddy...

Denise4925
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Umm, I don't think so, he likes women.

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Umm, I don't think so, he likes women.

well, you knw what they say... once you go Justine you turn into a queen...
just ask PY

Sefo
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
That means she won't be cheating from now on?

pigmalion
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
well, you knw what they say... once you go Justine you turn into a queen...
just ask PY

Je pige pas comment tu as encore le courage de tourner ça en dérision avec cette Denise, chapeau :tape:

I'm glad Justine speaks as a number one. She has the legitimacy to do it though

Olórin
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM

That's just factually incorrect.

Sloppy posting.

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Je pige pas comment tu as encore le courage de tourner ça en dérision avec cette Denise, chapeau :tape:

I'm glad Justine speaks as a number one. She has the legitimacy to do it though

lol elle est vraiment conne. c'est facile de "jouer contre elle", on gagne toujours (celaa me fait penser à une autre rivalité d'ailleurs ;) ) mdr.

mais tu as raison, j'vais dormir. :p

Olórin
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM
lol elle est vraiment conne. c'est facile de "jouer contre elle", on gagne toujours (celaa me fait penser à une autre rivalité d'ailleurs ;) ) mdr.

Nighty night. :wavey:

pigam
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Nighty night then. :wavey:

bonne nuit!!! et merci :) continue on with your factually correct posts!!

Olórin
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM

:p I edited my post by the way as I thought the "then" made it sound sarcastic but I was only playing ;)

A bientot!

pigmalion
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM

:haha: , elle est conne, c'est le mot, bonne nuit !

plantman
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM

:lol: :lol:

AcesHigh
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
People make mistakes. I believe in forgiveness.

No one wants to see Karantancheva(sp?) come back? What about Canas and Coria? They were accused of cheating too.

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

Says the Martina cough*coke*cough Hingis fan :tape:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:02 PM

:tape: :worship: :worship:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Och aye - how surprising to find you spamming a Justine thread :eek:

Haven't seen you spamming one for at least ...... 5 minutes :wavey:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Never .... JuJu is decent ... she's wouldn't be seen dead with that sort of guy .. a criminal! :vomit:

Ninny
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM

:haha: :haha:

plantman
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM

:worship:

Yet we be hating & trolling if we do it! :confused:

Denise4925
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM

You don't even know the meaning of spamming, if you think I'm doing it. :rolleyes: You seem so young and stupid. I have to put you on ignore.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Hypocrite bitch !

Who... you? :D

plantman
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Posting a bunch of "JUNK" responses in a positive thread/threads unrelated to your fav.....you might correctly call it spamming! Gee, I think I'm guilty.:sad: Give or take a few times!

Martian Jeza
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
She takes herself way too seriously, ffs ! Now, she gonna teach us a lesson not to cheat in tennis and sport in general or get banned for life : gimme a break ! As if she has never taken anything in her life : yeah, we believe you " Madame Propre " of the sport :rolleyes:

frontier
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
She should look herself in the mirror!:fiery:

alias
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hypocrite bitch !

Drag Queen Justine strikes again. I wonder if she said that with a straight face...:o

DimaDinosaur
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Celine Dion loves that mop

spiritedenergy
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM

class and style?:help:

Celine Dion is a trainwreck:devil:

By the way, I think she's going a bit overboard: she's not the model of fair tennis so far...

fioredeliberi
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Taking drugs to enhance performance is rather different from ignoring an umpire's wrong call because you are concentrating on your own game.
Sad that Serena fans sound exactly like she does when she loses to Justine.
Justine is not a cheater, but Serena is certainly a spoilsport and poor loser, and very bad example to young athletes everywhere.

Petersmiler
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Wow, some of her rivals fans are really bitter this year. I wonder why?

Actually, I say rivals but...........

Sassy-Na
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
juju :worship:

sfselesfan
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Most ironic thread title of the year?

SF

Ninny
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM
^^

Aye! Actually, I think this is "Is Common Hittin Serena Williams" :tape:

John.
Nov 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
:haha: I have heard everything now

Next she'll be advising women how to prevent themselves marrying men that are secretly gay

DannerCal
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
match-fixers only hurt gamblers so who cares.

Plus the tours will probably ban innocent players (like Coria and Canas), so they should just ignore it. No one should care if a first round match in sopot was fixed.

sfselesfan
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
^^

Aye! Actually, I think this is "Is Common Hittin Serena Williams" :tape:

Blogging 101: If you're going to attempt a comeback, try making sense.

SF

Donny
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Everyone who's ever purposely broken a rule in tennis is technically a cheat. That includes about 99.9% of the players on tour. Including the WS, and yes, including Henin.

But getting on a soapbox and calling for a lifetime ban on cheats when your coach has openly admitted to cheating, and said he wouldn't stop until the WTA made him stop...well, that seems tactless to me.

vejh
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Some of you need to learn to read and understand...Henin here is referring to match-fixing..Get it together people...reading is fundamental.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:08 AM
Everyone who's ever purposely broken a rule in tennis is technically a cheat. That includes about 99.9% of the players on tour. Including the WS, and yes, including Henin.

But getting on a soapbox and calling for a lifetime ban on cheats when your coach has openly admitted to cheating, and said he wouldn't stop until the WTA made him stop...well, that seems tactless to me.

Well... since there's a rule about it, but the WTA doesn't enforce it = USELESS.

Denise4925
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM
Taking drugs to enhance performance is rather different from ignoring an umpire's wrong call because you are concentrating on your own game.
Sad that Serena fans sound exactly like she does when she loses to Justine.
Justine is not a cheater, but Serena is certainly a spoilsport and poor loser, and very bad example to young athletes everywhere.

:lol: Yeah right! Like lying about not knowing someone is hurt on the court, when they come out bandaged like a mummy, admitted gamesmanship (see FO '03) and many other instances, and giving up and quitting in the middle of GS final is the epitome of model behavior to young athletes. :rolleyes:

bie
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:47 AM
Everytime some of you see the name Justine or Henin you come flying in like vultures to tear her apart, no matter what the topic is about. (sorry, I don't give names but they are always the same, ain't they? )
What a way to spent free time. :rolleyes:
Enjoy!

http://users.pandora.be/bie/biehappie/Justine-bekers01.jpg

Roland Garros '03,'05,'06,'07
US Open '03,'07
Australian Open '04
Olympic Gold '04
YEC Madrid '06,'07
39 titles
92 weeks # 1
... and counting ...

Ninny
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:19 AM
:lol: Yeah right! Like lying about not knowing someone is hurt on the court, when they come out bandaged like a mummy, admitted gamesmanship (see FO '03) and many other instances, and giving up and quitting in the middle of GS final is the epitome of model behavior to young athletes. :rolleyes:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=11968098&postcount=159

:o

fioredeliberi
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah right! Like lying about not knowing someone is hurt on the court, when they come out bandaged like a mummy, admitted gamesmanship (see FO '03) and many other instances, and giving up and quitting in the middle of GS final is the epitome of model behavior to young athletes. This sounds just like Serena when she loses.
Bandaged like a mummy? That's despicable gamesmanship on Serena's part, cause it's saying if you lose to me, you're lousy because you lose to an injured player, and if I lose, I'm excused because I am injured. If Serena had worries about her injury, don't play period, like Justine. Why go onto the court and act like a clown? And then after losing, make such sour comments that the whole western world's media turns against you, after previously fawning on you?

Justine conducts herself decently as a player and Serena does not, period.

lightningquick
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=11968098&postcount=159

:o

LOL, that's a classic! :lol:

Forehand_Volley
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Wow, some of her rivals fans are really bitter this year. I wonder why?

Actually, I say rivals but...........
People can be so petty and insanely jealous at times. Whether its born of ignorance or hatred, I'm glad its their problem and not ours!

Forehand_Volley
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Everytime some of you see the name Justine or Henin you come flying in like vultures to tear her apart, no matter what the topic is about. (sorry, I don't give names but they are always the same, ain't they? )
What a way to spent free time. :rolleyes:
Enjoy!

http://users.pandora.be/bie/biehappie/Justine-bekers01.jpg

Roland Garros '03,'05,'06,'07
US Open '03,'07
Australian Open '04
Olympic Gold '04
YEC Madrid '06,'07
39 titles
92 weeks # 1
... and counting ...
Its a huge indicator of their jealous upbringing. There will always be jealous people that swipe at those who succeed for no other reason than being plain common folk. Its a blue-collar thing.

plantman
Nov 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM
This sounds just like Serena when she loses.
Bandaged like a mummy? That's despicable gamesmanship on Serena's part, cause it's saying if you lose to me, you're lousy because you lose to an injured player, and if I lose, I'm excused because I am injured. If Serena had worries about her injury, don't play period, like Justine. Why go onto the court and act like a clown? And then after losing, make such sour comments that the whole western world's media turns against you, after previously fawning on you?

I'll :drink: to that! Nicely said Fioredeliberi:)

spiritedenergy
Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Its a huge indicator of their jealous upbringing. There will always be jealous people that swipe at those who succeed for no other reason than being plain common folk. Its a blue-collar thing.

come on get it together:help: Henin is not the only player who achieved victories. This Williams-Henin feud is amazing:lol:

Forehand_Volley
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
come on get it together:help: Henin is not the only player who achieved victories. This Williams-Henin feud is amazing:lol:
I still don't understand the giant leap of criticism between Henin denouncing "match fixing" and the 2003 French Open Williams-Henin incident. Maybe its just me, but it seems like a far-fetched, drummed-up bit of being over critical and without merit.

To me it would be about as nutty as saying that the Williams should be banned for life because of the Indian Wells incident.

Watching
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
I still don't understand the giant leap of criticism between Henin denouncing "match fixing" and the 2003 French Open Williams-Henin incident. Maybe its just me, but it seems like a far-fetched, drummed-up bit of being over critical and without merit.

To me it would be about as nutty as saying that the Williams should be banned for life because of the Indian Wells incident.

The thread title say's "Henin backs life bans for cheats". If I remember correctly at Indian Well's Venus pulled out before the match citing a legitimate injury, that does not strike me as cheating.

Whereas the infamous 2003 incident could be, and is, viewed as cheating by many. Also on-court coaching when not permitted by the WTA at certain events and is officially cheating by breaking WTA rules, an act Carlos Rogdriguez has admitted to performing.

The limp excuse that this rule has not been enforced in his case is weak as it is hard for an umpire to catch these acts with certainty. They really should have been reprimanded by the WTA after making this comment.

So yes it is ironic that Henin chooses to say this when she has conciouslly (sp?) broken rules or let her coach do so.

Melly Flew Us
Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
This sounds just like Serena when she loses.

smack or crack?

which is it? either way you are talking utter nonsense. what excuse will you make for juju's multi-coloured tapes?

Forehand_Volley
Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
The thread title say's "Henin backs life bans for cheats". If I remember correctly at Indian Well's Venus pulled out before the match citing a legitimate injury, that does not strike me as cheating.

Whereas the infamous 2003 incident could be, and is, viewed as cheating by many. Also on-court coaching when not permitted by the WTA at certain events and is officially cheating by breaking WTA rules, an act Carlos Rogdriguez has admitted to performing.

The limp excuse that this rule has not been enforced in his case is weak as it is hard for an umpire to catch these acts with certainty. They really should have been reprimanded by the WTA after making this comment.

So yes it is ironic that Henin chooses to say this when she has conciouslly (sp?) broken rules or let her coach do so.

The term "cheating" is used in context to "match-fixing." I'm too old and tired to teach you youngin's reading comprehension so I'll just post the article.

The distinction between "match-fixing" and the 2003 French Open is flawed at its core because both women wanted to win that match. A closer distinction between "match-fixing" and the IW controversy would be the most logical inference (even though its simply not true).

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis.cfm?id=1827202007

Henin wants match-fixers banned for life
EVE FODENS

WORLD No1 Justine Henin is advocating life bans for anyone found guilty of match fixing in tennis, insisting that administrators must adopt a zero tolerance policy against cheating in the sport.

Tennis has endured a series of match-rigging allegations lately, with several male players, including Arnaud Clement, Michael Llodra and Gilles Elseneer, claiming to have refused offers to throw matches in the past.

Henin, when asked if players should be banned for life if found to be involved in match-fixing, was unequivocal with her answer. "For sure, yes," she said.

"I am zero tolerance about that. It is very important and this kind of thing should not happen.

"It's pretty sad. I can tell you I have never heard anything or no-one ever came to me, but if we talk about that it means it probably exists in the sport."

gladysharon
Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM

wow that's great for Justine!
Her two idols - Steffi and now Celine...all acknowledging her. :bounce:

plantman
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
The term "cheating" is used in context to "match-fixing." I'm too old and tired to teach you youngin's reading comprehension so I'll just post the article.
The distinction between "match-fixing" and the 2003 French Open is flawed at its core because both women wanted to win that match. A closer distinction between "match-fixing" and the IW controversy would be the most logical inference (even though its simply not true).

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis.cfm?id=1827202007

Henin wants match-fixers banned for life
EVE FODENS

WORLD No1 Justine Henin is advocating life bans for anyone found guilty of match fixing in tennis, insisting that administrators must adopt a zero tolerance policy against cheating in the sport.

Tennis has endured a series of match-rigging allegations lately, with several male players, including Arnaud Clement, Michael Llodra and Gilles Elseneer, claiming to have refused offers to throw matches in the past.

Henin, when asked if players should be banned for life if found to be involved in match-fixing, was unequivocal with her answer. "For sure, yes," she said.

"I am zero tolerance about that. It is very important and this kind of thing should not happen.

"It's pretty sad. I can tell you I have never heard anything or no-one ever came to me, but if we talk about that it means it probably exists in the sport."

Your attempt is worth noting F_V ! Thanks for trying....:)