PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been a better 36 year-old?

Steffica Greles
Nov 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just look at these clips. Here's one, but watch all seven. In them, you'll see probably the greatest two women of all time battling it out almost on equal terms. Martina is incredibly quick, and with such technical prowess on the volley. She's even hitting the ball in the 90s style - hard.

It's such a shame that Martina wasn't five years younger when Graf appeared on the scene, because I think then we'd have had a chance to discover who REALLY was better.

After this victory over the number two, Graf, she defeated then world number one, Seles, in Paris, a few weeks later. At 36 years of age, Martina had proven that she could still defeat the two greatest players of the generation after her.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGEYXGtjPQ&feature=related

LudwigDvorak
Nov 18th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Navratilova is the best player I've ever seen, hands down. Fuck her accomplishments (though that helps), just how she played was SO good.

And that was her after her peak in there. Just wonderful. I love Laurie's clips by the way. :hearts:

Kart
Nov 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Lovely warm handshake at the end :tape:.

Tripp
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Martina's net skills are the best in women's tennis history. She could teach a couple of the current girls a few things.

It's just so much fun to see a match like this, involving two players with completely different styles. That's what today's tennis is missing nowadays, in my opinion.

GoDominique
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
OMG the court is so fucking fast :lol: it's a pity that they don't use this surface anymore.

Amazing net-play and also quickness by Navra. Graf, however, had bad timing on many of her shots.

Apoleb
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:07 PM
It's fantastic stuff. You don't see that level of genius tennis play a lot anymore. Makes me depreciate more and more the ball bashers of today who have those one or two shotmaking skills that they use the whole time. (not naming names :tape: ). I also don't think there are courts as fast as this anymore.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I can't understand what's so exciting in watching how one player tries to out-slice the other player. They are playing so slowly by the modern day standards :help:

GoDominique
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I can't understand what's so exciting in watching how one player tries to out-slice the other player. They are playing so slowly by the modern day standards :help:
So true! I say get these two talentless hacks off the court and put on a Sharapova vs. Vaidisova slugfest. Oh the excitement!!

LDF
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for posting this clip :wavey:

Martina's net skills are simply outstanding - she's the best player in the forecourt I've ever seen.

LUIS9
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Martina's net skills are the best in women's tennis history. She could teach a couple of the current girls a few things.

It's just so much fun to see a match like this, involving two players with completely different styles. That's what today's tennis is missing nowadays, in my opinion.

Kuznetsova learned a few tricks up at net and how to win in doubles, which inspired her to win her first major during a year that saw her partner up with the great one in doubles. :worship:

njnetswill
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Netplay is def. something worth missing, but I prefer our modern groundstroke game. Call it ballbashing if you want, for the players who can keep it in the court it is awesome. :p

LUIS9
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
So true! I say get these two talentless hacks off the court and put on a Sharapova vs. Vaidisova slugfest. Oh the excitement!!

And don't forget the classic technique these two greats posses, especially on the forehand for Sharapova and the backhand of Nicole, amazing indeed. :tape: :o

Wayn77
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Here, here ...

People have the nerve to slag off the current top players and the modern game. Just look at the pace and power our girls are playing nowadays.

Back to Martina. Right to the very end (playing doubles USO 2006) she was brilliant at the net. Possibly the best volleyer I have ever seen.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Tennis is just a different game today. Even players outside Top-100 know what groundstrokes and passing shots are.
You have to be blind not to see how much faster and more intensive tennis has become.

Apoleb
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Tennis is just a different game today. Even players outside Top-100 know what groundstrokes and passing shots are.
You have to be blind not to see how much faster and more intensive tennis has become.

What are you watching? (or maybe smoking?) The ball was flying around and two of the all time best and fastest atheletes couldn't keep up a rally for more than 4/5 shots. Ofcourse this is largely due to the speed of the court, but you have to be :weirdo: and blind to think that play was slow.

GoDominique
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Regarding Navra's age:

True, it's pretty amazing. Then again, I think there is no particular reason why tennis players beyond 30 or even in their mid-30's should not be able to compete with their younger colleagues. I mean, you don't fall apart all of the sudden if you reach 30.
For most players, it is either injuries or lack of motivation that leads to retirement at that age. You can still be as fit but you probably have to put in even more effort than before, and many players aren't willing to do that. They've had enough.
For Navra though injuries were rarely an issue, and she has always been a fitness freak. And let's not even talk about her competitiveness. :lol:

Serenidad.
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM
All of the tennis courts have slowed down which has led to players like Nadal and clay based players on the men's and women's side being more successful.

If the courts were still this fast we would see a different WTA top 10.

Giggles
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Wow, incredible stuff. Thanks! :worship:

partbrit
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I still watch some of the Chris-Martina matches from time to time, and always find them more satisfying than anything I watch now. I just find the shot-making done by them, and by Mandlikova, Goolagong, etc. to be more interesting in general. The players I most enoying watching now Mauresmo, Henin and Schnyder, because the shot-making is varied and so strategic. I loved watching Hingis.

But that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy watching players who more closely represent the way tennis has changed--Davenport, Sharapova, the Williams sisters.

Ninny
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
For me, watching this is heaven :hearts:

The best two female tennis players ever :worship:

No ball bashing, no screaming or yelping, just magnificant play. The current two who come nearest to this are Henin and Mauresmo, but that's my opinion.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
What are you watching? (or maybe smoking?) The ball was flying around and two of the all time best and fastest atheletes couldn't keep up a rally for more than 4/5 shots. Ofcourse this is largely due to the speed of the court, but you have to be :weirdo: and blind to think that play was slow.

Watch Wimbledon-2005 final and feel the difference.

Philbo
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Loved every minute of it.. That match and the one against Seles a couple of weeks later is the main reason why for me personally, Martina is best of all time.. the fact that on her day, at that age, she could still beat the best and second best player made me think that at her peak, martina would have an edge on them... I think as you get older nerves are a bigger part.. at least for martina they were.. you know your days and opportinuties are running out..

esquímaux
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Love that super-flat technique and virtually nil follow through :drool:

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
slicing is so much fun! what r u talking about !

and besides, they aren't just slicing anyways, they are using so much of the court, kind of like the men's game.

laurie
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Just look at these clips. Here's one, but watch all seven. In them, you'll see probably the greatest two women of all time battling it out almost on equal terms. Martina is incredibly quick, and with such technical prowess on the volley. She's even hitting the ball in the 90s style - hard.

It's such a shame that Martina wasn't five years younger when Graf appeared on the scene, because I think then we'd have had a chance to discover who REALLY was better.

After this victory over the number two, Graf, she defeated then world number one, Seles, in Paris, a few weeks later. At 36 years of age, Martina had proven that she could still defeat the two greatest players of the generation after her.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGEYXGtjPQ&feature=related

Nice one! That's one of the matches I've put on youtube. I put this match on only last month and it's actually proved the most popular match I've added so far, the other most popular matches being the 1990 German Open final between Seles and Graf, and the 1998 Cincinnati final between Rafter and Sampras. I've uploaded over 30 matches so far and they are all doing well, but these 3 matches have so far got the most views.

Dave.
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Tennis then was far better than tennis now, it's impossible to say it wasen't.

Navratilova is the greatest of all time, hands down. While it would have been good if she was a bit younger so her rivalry with Graf would last longer, but I wouldn't change anything because the Navratilova-Evert rivalry was too good (and I didn't even witness it live).

The Daviator
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:24 AM
With speedy gonzales Davenport :p

She was in that match :eek: :lol:

Anyway, Martina at net :worship: As a few others have said, it's a shame that it's become the 'norm' to quit at 30/31 when you can clearly compete into your 30s as Martina and a few others have shown, people almost expect you to quit by 32 nowadays :shrug:

Summer_Snow
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Martina :worship:

Always love you :hearts:

*Jool*
Nov 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Lovely

those were the times :hearts:

The Dawntreader
Nov 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Navratilova was phenomonal at net. You can tell she obviously emulated BJK, who IMO technically the best volleyer ever. I actually liked her forehand too, even though fundamentally it was the slightly weaker of the two sides. I always find the technically obscurer shots endearing:lol:

Also her service actionh was so good for her era. She began the new wave of serving in the women's game, which focused on winning the point with the serve rather than just starting out the point.

Matt01
Nov 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM

You should rather stick to your statistic-threads instead of making derogatory comments about two of the best female tennis players who ever :mad:

thrust
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Margreat O du Pont, I believe, was ranked in the top 10 in her early 40^s. Talk about a spin and chop! Her second serve had the most incredible spin I ever recall. Still, Navratilova was the greatest over 35 player of all time. But then, she had a basically strong body which she kept in great shape. She, unlike Court, du Pont, Goolagong and Davenport did not compete after giving birth. Tennis was, and probably still is, Navratilova^s life. Nothing wrong with that, but that seems to be the fact.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
You should rather stick to your statistic-threads instead of making derogatory comments about two of the best female tennis players who ever :mad:

The fact they (along with Evert) are the greatest players in the Open Era doesn't cancel the fact tennis has changed drastically in the last 15 years.
Blame Seles for that, not me.