PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Serena Should Change To The Oversize Rackets Again?

Renalicious
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'm just watching the US Open QF v. Henin, and I think the racket is not helping her. Her groundstrokes used to be so good and powerful, clean winners. Now, her groundstrokes are very average and she makes a lotttt of errors. Here's my theory.

Serena doesn't look comfortable with the racquet. She tries to power it up, but then hits it long. After that she goes for a little less power but they come out weak and only go like, mid-court. I think Serena can't find the balance of power with this racquet. If she used the oversize racquets, she would hit half of her power but it would still go in and it would be more powerful than the shots she is playing with the racquet she's using now.

Side note: If someone ever sees Serena in person, tell the woman to move her feet! She looks like she's not even TRYING to run!

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
nah i think the smaller racket is better....its her game and confidence which needs tweaking not the racket...look at the AO and Miami and see its just her game...when its on its realllly on...cause even at wimby she tried employing the same game style as she did at the AO and her thumb didn't allow her to...

Renalicious
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I still think even in Miami and the AO she wasn't on 'ON'. (Exception of AO Final).

But yeah, those tournaments were better because she looked confident, fierce, and she was grunting all over. Screaming 'COME ON!'.

She looks so scared now, she doesn't look like she has ANY confidence at all, it's concerning. She's not even screaming COME ON as much. :sad: I MISS MY 'COME ON!'. I hope that knee gets better, she needs to move well if she wants to be #1 again.

serenus_2k8
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Yeh her raquet seems fine, but she needs to start dominating a lot more...

I hope she comes back out at AO with the same attitude as this year but I really cant see her defending... Would be a dream come true if she started the same as last year but kept the momentum going!!

Craigy
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
No way!
Her racquet is not the problem.

Watching
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Lol the racquet though not as big as her old ones is still really quite big.

Look at Aussie final for clean strokes and Miami...the racquet is not the problem.

Renalicious
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I just get the feeling that NOW the racquet is a problem, maybe she doesnt have to change the actual racquet, but maybe adjust her game and play like she did at AO And Miami with this racquet. It seems like she doesn't know where to find the balance of power...like in AO and Miami is was right on, but now it seems a bit hit-and-miss, like she's always making errors. And the fact that she always looks so nervous and scared now makes it worse for her confidence.

The Daviator
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I think she's having a hard time controlling the ball with this racquet, her shots, especially the BH, are flying on her, maybe the racquet needs adjustments, but she definitely is lacking some venom in her strokes for whatever reason...

PatrickRyan
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I don't think its the racquet, I think she is hitting up on too many balls. She's not fallowing throught like she used to.

Renalicious
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:48 AM
One thing I also noticed is that when her feet or firmly on the ground and not moving, her shots are very powerful, but then if the opponents get it back and hit it a little left, she won't budge, she'll just like, hit the shot walking backwards and it's a shame because it comes out really weak, the the shot she hit before (the powerful one) would have become a waste. She needs to hit like three or four good shots in a row to win a point. So far she's hitting one, then spoiling by hitting the second shot unbalanced.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:52 AM
she needs to get back in the zone...when she gets back some confidence then there will be a difference...wimby she was there again...and look what happened...i think all the injuries that come when she's trying hard and things start to look promising discourage her and hurt her confidence more than anything else...after the AO - had the flu...after Miami - pulled the groin....started hitting like her Miami and AO self - injured her thumb...decided to play during the fall...injured her knee...i think her fear of her body breaking down is where her issue lies...if she has a healthy stretch after AO to Miami look for things to be different

Renalicious
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Well. hopefully Serena doesn't have too many injuries next year :sad: She's so injury prone!

serenus_2k8
Nov 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Is she? :confused: Never realised :p hehe!!!

A bad workman (woman w.e) blames her tools! I think Serena loves the raquet she has, and she fairly recently renewed her contract with Wilson I guess shes happy! :bounce:

PatrickRyan
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM
She needs to play ever match like the Australian Open final. She'll never loose if she does.

serenus_2k8
Nov 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yeh thats the problem though, it would be impossible to keep that level up permanantly... or at least extremely difficult!

She just needs to be able to turn it on when she needs it most, ie majors

starin
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yeh thats the problem though, it would be impossible to keep that level up permanantly... or at least extremely difficult!

she played similar to that in Miami. Not as great.. but that level of tennis she def. played in Miami b4 the final where I think her game fell apart for the year. I was thinking about the change in racquet too but she was hitting the ball really hard in Miami and AO. She has just lost confidence in her groundstrokes and looks like her serve too (during the Fall season). Or maybe its just here bad knee/thighs not allowing her to hit the ball as hard as she wants to. I think it has less to do with her racquet than her body and and her mind.

PatrickRyan
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Yeath thats true, but at least she should keep the same intensity, some matches it looks like she doesn't even want to be there. In Australia she was so focused and determined.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM
When she's on she's the Mc Scrooge of tennis, and stingy with free points, but most of the season she was Santa Claus, just giving away points left and right. I agree with people who cite both confidence and footwork as the two areas that need the most improvement. I might also add her attitude to that list as well. She's always been a perfectionist and the type to never really be satisfied, but it seems like in 2005 @ Miami she really started bringing a lot more negative energy into her matches. Sometimes, baby girl looks like she wants to break down and cry and I think she'd benefit more from a positive and more focused persona, rather than that emotionally draining negative one she sometimes brings to the court. She'll always wear her emotions on her sleeve and that's partly why I love her so, but if she can go back to not sweating the small stuff, she'd go back to the giant she is. Because small things don't mean nothin' to a giant!

If someone see her, please remind her to have fun again. Serena plays some emotional exhausting matches and after a while I'm sure it starts to take a toll. I think that's what's happening in some of her Justine matches. Turn that negative energy into determination and stay focused and she'll be back to holding up trophies in no time, the racquet is just fine.

Renalicious
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:44 AM
^ I agree, completely.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM
When she's on she's the Mc Scrooge of tennis, and stingy with free points, but most of the season she was Santa Claus, just giving away points left and right. I agree with people who cite both confidence and footwork as the two areas that need the most improvement. I might also add her attitude to that list as well. She's always been a perfectionist and the type to never really be satisfied, but it seems like in 2005 @ Miami she really started bringing a lot more negative energy into her matches. Sometimes, baby girl looks like she wants to break down and cry and I think she'd benefit more from a positive and more focused persona, rather than that emotionally draining negative one she sometimes brings to the court. She'll always wear her emotions on her sleeve and that's partly why I love her so, but if she can go back to not sweating the small stuff, she'd go back to the giant she is. Because small things don't mean nothin' to a giant!

If someone see her, please remind her to have fun again. Serena plays some emotional exhausting matches and after a while I'm sure it starts to take a toll. I think that's what's happening in some of her Justine matches. Turn that negative energy into determination and stay focused and she'll be back to holding up trophies in no time, the racquet is just fine.

:worship:

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Which players are currently playing with the oversized racquets like the one Serena used to use- just currious.

darrinbaker00
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Which players are currently playing with the oversized racquets like the one Serena used to use- just currious.
Nobody. If memory serves me correctly, Jankovic and Hantuchova are currently using the largest frame on tour, the 105-inch Prince Ozone 7.

williamsluva
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I just get the feeling that NOW the racquet is a problem, maybe she doesnt have to change the actual racquet, but maybe adjust her game and play like she did at AO And Miami with this racquet. It seems like she doesn't know where to find the balance of power...like in AO and Miami is was right on, but now it seems a bit hit-and-miss, like she's always making errors. And the fact that she always looks so nervous and scared now makes it worse for her confidence.

Your a little bit off, but good observation. Its not the rackets, its the strings. Your right about it being the equipment, the strings are natural gut. Sampras recently said He wished he had his current strings back in his playing day because they add an unimaginable amount of spin to the ball. You know what? Hes totally on the money, Ive done experimenting too and when i used some of the strings that the current pros use (e.g. Babolat pro hurricane), using the same motion etc it just seems that more balls just drop in, and even with a very very simple flick doing really weak kick serves, those serves bounce up to my opponents shoulder whereas it is much more difficult to control the ball and to make the ball bounce that high with the same, simple motion when i use the type of string that was prominent in the 90s and early 00, ive also played with a racket thats strung with natural gut, I guess you have to feel it to understand what a huge difference there is.

Id go so far as to say that the difference is almost like comparing wooden rackets to the racket mcenroe used back in 84, he won 82 matches and lost 3 that year because everyone else used dated technology, he used the newest technology around and so he had his great touch at the net and the power to hit with the big boys so he was nearly invincible. Thats what henin has, shes got a great racket true but so do many others, her strings however are a type that adds ALOT of spin and allows her to easily work with her opponents pace, they are also very lively and give pace but also allow her a high margin for error AND they allow her to go for it alot more. Federer has the same set up and the two of them are very similar, federer seems to get more pace on his shots than roddick because hes strung at 57 pounds which is club level low for high power and roddick is 65 pounds (and roddicks strings are quite dead whereas federers are more lively and again add alot more spin to the ball, its amazing but the william sisters are still behind in the technology department).

My theory is that Serena is using the strings she had back with her big racket, theres a bit more balance when the racket is over powered but the strings dont give yah much, and the reason she still looked good in aust and miami had more to do with her determination and her focus cos she was trying to get behind every single ball

serenus_2k8
Nov 30th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Oooh deep analysis!

I think Serena with a frying pan could still punish some of the overated wannabes on tour :lol: but if what shes using now is good enough to win a slam it aint that bad!

Renalicious
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:36 AM
Good analysis. :)

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Here's what Serena is currently using:

Wilson Natural Gut 16 String
(product description):
A longtime leader in synthetic gut performance and technology, Wilson has reintroduced natural gut strings to its line up. This high quality natural gut uses only top quality beef serosa to produce a consistent and responsive string. If you are looking to get the ultimate from your racquet, then natural gut string is the way to go. By far the most popular choice since the pro tour started, natural gut is powerful, offers great feel and is the No. 1 recommended string for arm safety.

* Gauge: 16 / 1.30mm
* Length: 40 feet / 12m
* Construction: Premium quality natural gut
* Color: Natural

youizahoe
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
People let me set the record straight. The racket could be the problem for losing power and accuracy. But in my opinion it's not that what's wrong.

When you want to hit perfect cleans strokes, you need to;

1) Have a great foothwork (something Serena is working on again)
2) Have a perfect timing on ball impact (Each second too late, results in less power or accuracy)
3) Have a perfect position before you strike the ball

You can try it yourself, try to hit a powerful stroke while you aren't in the right position or having the right timing, the ball will probable go out of be a puffy midcourt stroke... The more you are away from your ball the more it will result in a slice than a powerful stroke.

____

I don't really see the connection with the types of strings. Amateurs have problems with it, pro's don't. You can give them the cheapest strings available, they would still be able to produce their best tennis. I'm a A-international level player whom teaches kids in Belgian to become junior pro's, so I know what I'm talkin about.

What's related between strokes and tennis;

1) Lower tension enhances power
2) Higher tension enhances control
3) Diffrent types of strings (max 6% less balance, power, accuracy)

williamsluva
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM
People let me set the record straight. The racket could be the problem for losing power and accuracy. But in my opinion it's not that what's wrong.

When you want to hit perfect cleans strokes, you need to;

1) Have a great foothwork (something Serena is working on again)
2) Have a perfect timing on ball impact (Each second too late, results in less power or accuracy)
3) Have a perfect position before you strike the ball

You can try it yourself, try to hit a powerful stroke while you aren't in the right position or having the right timing, the ball will probable go out of be a puffy midcourt stroke... The more you are away from your ball the more it will result in a slice than a powerful stroke.

____

I don't really see the connection with the types of strings. Amateurs have problems with it, pro's don't. You can give them the cheapest strings available, they would still be able to produce their best tennis. I'm a A-international level player whom teaches kids in Belgian to become junior pro's, so I know what I'm talkin about.

What's related between strokes and tennis;

1) Lower tension enhances power
2) Higher tension enhances control
3) Diffrent types of strings (max 6% less balance, power, accuracy)

Yes that is all well and good, but have u tried the pro hurricane and natural gut cross versus one fully strung with natural gut? Actually its popular right now its quite popular to use that or just pro hurricane or natural gut luxilon big banger cross. Very VERY few, only a handful use the natural gut alone, Tommy Haas was last time i checked (may have changed now).

What you said is true, footwork and positioning blah blah all very true as serena was using the exact same racket in australia and miami and was fine. But what you didnt talk about was the fact that when uve got strings like that, natural gut (yes it gives u quite a good "feel" on the ball cos gut is quite a soft string and yes its good for power {and actually matches serenas style of flatter hitting}) HOWEVER you can get away with alot more with any of the other aformentioned string setups that are popular these days, Just like a real top level pro can still serve 125 mph with a wooden racket, but with the graphite/carbon watever, u can get away with alot "cheaper" technique blah blah U know where im comin from. And i must also disagree that any pro can play their best with any strings, yeh they still can hit far better strokes than any of us, but relative to the competition??? And someone like federer couldnt use nadals strings to play his best tennis cos his strings are quite dead (and thats actually regardless of the tension they are just not lively strings).

Also from what was posted she uses a 1.30mm gauge, thats extremley thick for a pro, that also explains why she pretty much never breaks a string unless she breaks the racket. 1.30mm is thick and durable, the thinner the gauge the more spin u get, and for something like natural gut, well man she should be goin for something like 1.20 (honestly i wish she didnt use gut cos she needs strings that will add more spin to her strokes and there are string configs that will add ALOT more spin).

As i said, its spot on that she needs better footwork and also timing (positiong is really the key, the position of her body is horrendous on most ordinary shots, but also the contact point can be way off cos she seems to move so lazily), and of course new strings arent gonna magically give her back her best game, but everytime u see her going for her shots and having bare misses thats where the tiny changes in equipment make a huge difference. I disagree that amateurs have the problem with strings and not pros, its usually the other way around (at the elite level the smallest margin makes a huge difference)