PDA

View Full Version : My brief experience @ the YEC

pigam
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Guys,

So, It's the off-season and I have a little spare time, so I thought I'ld post my story on the YEC.

First of all, my trip was very brief. We left (me and a friend who also loves tennis) on nov. 5 (evening) and came back nov 8 (noon). So, we only had 2 whole days of Madrid.

The tournament ion itself is a great "formula", I think. Why? Because matches are played in the evening, so during the day, you have all the time in the world to visit the city of Madrid (which we did).

So we stayed at a youth hostel, whoch wasn't really stellar. At all. In fact, it stunk (almost literally). It was't expensive, but it wasn't really cheap either. The problem is that we probably payed for the location, which was really in the absolute center (Puerta del Sol) of Madrid.
So one "tip" for all of you. I think you're better off booking a hostel somechat out of the center, and maybe paying less, or either booking a "real hotel" which is out of center and costs you the same.
The metro (subway) in Madrid is very userfriendly, I think and you can reach every place "in a heartbeat" so that's not a problem.

Now, I'm afraid I don't have too much tennisplayer stories to tell, because, well... we only went to the tournie (which is a bit out of town) at night to see the matches. This means we wern't there while the players were practicising and stuff. We felt like we better takes ome of Madrid's cultural heritage than to troll the grounds at the YEC. (am I a real WTAWorld'er?! )

But anyhow. We saw the first 6 matches on thuesday and wednesday.
Now hounestly, I don't think ther's a bad seat in the whole venue. We were located right under the commentators boxes. But it still felt rather "close". And, we speifically chose these places because they give the vieuw I like best. I.e; a bit like when you watch tennis on TV. You see the court "vertically", you know what i mean

So, we sat right in front of the Eurosport commentators. Jo Durie e.o. I think?
A little to our left was the Flemish crew with Sabine Appelmans. Now, I have to say: Sabine lookes radiant in "real life". She looked really good.
Lol, so after the first match day there was some confusion wether Ju would play on wednesday, since there wasn't an official schedule to be found. So I motioned to Sabine (inher glass box) and mouthed "Speelt Justine morgen??!!" (does Ju play tomorrow) and she mouthed back (with a lot of hand gestures) "Ja, morgen om 6 uur" (Yes, tomorrow at six).
Lol, that was quite funny moment I thought. It's strange when you see thes "famous people" You feel you know them, and they should know you. Which of course, isn't true, but still Sabine was nice.

That first day we saw Ju-Chacky, which was a ratty match. Anna just made too many errors, and Ju was, well,... I'll leave this one to Cecilja

The crowd LOVED Justine, Ana and Maria, I noticed. Not exactly "the underdog", but just the 3 players who showed the most spectacular shots and who showed the most emotions on the court. People love it when players fistpump and shout etc. ...
We were surrounded by Spaniard, and the firt time Ju yelled "Allez". They all went "Olé?! Olé?!" it was too funny!

Ana and Maria are impressive live, I think. There strokes seem like 2x as fast as Ju's.

However, Ju's game (live) is just SO different from all the other players. The effect she puts on her strokes. The way she moves and constructs points; Sometimes it's like watching a different sport.

---------

So the next day we saw all the beautifull parks surrounding Madrid and at night, we returned to the YEC.

Ju played Jankovic. The match was very nce from Justine's point of view; But it was a bit dissapointing that JJ didn't play better and didn't put up a fight either. The audience seemed a bit discouraged.

Than came Serena, who withdrew; i don't know what to say. Serena's strokes are impressive. Her serve is a joy to behold; But her movement and attitude were awfull. She did have a lot of crowd support too however. There were some dissapointed whistles when she retired...Venus was there too, saw her in the stands; And Serena was VERY pissed off at her box for some reason. Her rackets were strung wrongly or something? So that new sparringpartner she has, had to run for new ones, but then she had to retire so it didn't matter

The last match was, thank God, a really good one, I thought. Between Ivanovic and Sveta I think ; A lot of tension and nice rallies. Audience really getting into it.

Now, I've already told this to some. During this last day, Marion bartoli was sitting right behind us in the commentator boot of Europsort (France). She looked ok (could only see her upper body+head) and well, we sat at maybe 3 metres away from her. So, I could take a pic of her without even having to ask; But i thought "Let's be polite and asked". So after a match (or in between changeover, don't remmeber) she had taken off her headphone, so I motioned to her "can I take a pic please" (said it in French). She b*tchilly rolled her eyes at me and kinda shrugged and looked at her co-commentator... Tsssss she was really unfriendly. So I mouthed "Never mind then" and walked away. So I'm sorry Bartoli Fans, no pics from Marion.

Oh I forgot: During the first day, when visiting Madrid, we went to have coffee @ Starbucks (sic?). We're just sitting there, and who enters? Long, lean, wearing a sweatsuit and nike air? Yes! Pamela Shriver. It was funny cuz noone recognised her. So she ordered her coffee and she had to say her name at the lady behind the counter. And then, wehn hercoffee was ready the lady kinda shouted "Pàm" (Spanish way) throughout the shop. It was funny. I didn't take a pic of Pam. Felt a bit paparazzo like if I would start taking pics of >pam ordering coffee. Stil, I recognised you, Pam.

Overall, altho the matches were womewhat dissapointing, YEC is stilla great tournie to visit. Too bad it moves next year. I payed 15€ for 3 matches!!! and my places were good (not stellar) So that's 5€ per match (you canonly buy per 3 though )

So, sorry if I bored you guys (too long?). Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it nevertheless ;)

eck
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM
:lol: Marion :tape:

Thanks for the report. Ju <3

kinseh
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Oh, Marion. :tape: :lol:

Thanks for the report. ^^

mashamaniac
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM
really useful report!!! thanks for sharing it...

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Great report! Thanks.

Marion...bitchy. :(

Ben.
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM
nice report :yeah:

LOL at Marion :tape: she could of least been a bit more friendly, but then maybe some other players would of acted like that.

really cool that you saw pam shriver in starbucks :yeah:

03 RuleTheCourt
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Now for real :confused: Is that Bartoli really promoting herself as an underdog b*tch who once, in a very lucky mood, hit the final at Wimby ???
With that kinda attitude i read from your post here the only thing i can relate to is that other players are much more friendly.

Some sh*t happend with her webmaster *Sorcercer* from the Bartoli section here at WTAworld. The little scam was extremely friendly
& stuff when he wanted his banner :fiery: (that i created for www.marion-bartoli.net (http://www.marion-bartoli.net)) but since then i haven't seen him in ages .. but i bet
someone's gonna pop up again when they need some more graphics done.

So i'm not surprised if her whole entourage are those kind of people... i don't have to remeber you to her story about "not being able
to help out the french team & stuff ... luckily Tatiana (who actually is russian) did join.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM
hope you enjoyed your time in madrid :) you sound like a true tennis fan :)

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Marion sure is getting a bad name on here - nearly every oe of these reports I read, if she's involved, then it's not in a nice way. Maybe I will try it myself if I see her playing in Australia. ;) (Ask her for a pic and see her reaction). ;)

pigam
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Marion sure is getting a bad name on here - nearly every oe of these reports I read, if she's involved, then it's not in a nice way. Maybe I will try it myself if I see her playing in Australia. ;) (Ask her for a pic and see her reaction). ;)

make sure to keep us up to date.
but let's not turn this into a "abrtoli bashing bestiality" ;)

Brαm
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the report! Marion :o She doesn't really look like a very friendly person on court and this just confirms the negative image I have of her.

Renalicious
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Marion... :O

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:05 AM
make sure to keep us up to date.
but let's not turn this into a "abrtoli bashing bestiality" ;)

Of course I'll keep everyone updated. I don't even want a pic of her anyway, but it'll be interesting to see how she reacts if I ask her. ;) Wonder where she's playing. Probably Sydney and AO - so I'll have to try at AO if I see her training. :lol:

Iceland
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Yes, pretty disappointing image of Marion even if it is far from being terrible in itself. Players have often refused to be taken in pictures, nothing new. She surely considered that it was not the right moment. Such a behaviour doesn't surprise me though :lol:.

Still it doesn't change anything to me, I like her for a game & personnality on court, not for her person.

pigam
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, pretty disappointing image of Marion even if it is far from being terrible in itself. Players have often refused to be taken in pictures, nothing new. She surely considered that it was not the right moment. Such a behaviour doesn't surprise me though :lol:.

Still it doesn't change anything to me, I like her for a game & personnality on court, not for her person.

oh yeah, i agree.
it'snot liek i "hate" her now.
but still, she kinda made me look like a fool, which is never nice :lol: ;)
It's my own fault, I should have just taken a pic;
I just don't see why she didn't want to since she was just sitting there, everyone could see her (few recognised her) and then when I politely asked she kinda ridiculed me and rolled her eyes.
Again, she looked better in real life than she does on TV though.

Besides, Justine like her alot, so she must be a bitch ;)

mashamaniac
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM

i like her on-court attitude but believe me she doesn't have a very interesting personality both on & off the court!

Wayn77
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the report ...

Marion - grumpy bitch :hearts: :kiss:

Iceland
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:28 AM
i like her on-court attitude but believe me she doesn't have a very interesting personality both on & off the court!

Well she is just a normal girl except that she is a tennis player. She shouldn't be asked to be interesting or funny, she is here exclusively for the game like Justine, contrary to Serena/Daniela who is more here for the show.
Still I find Marion quite interesting & smart on her ITWs. I also like her attitude on court, which is so rare coming from a French player.

PaulHopkins
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM
That's very disappointing regarding Marion as I always had this sweet image of her :(

Iceland
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM
oh yeah, i agree.
it'snot liek i "hate" her now.
but still, she kinda made me look like a fool, which is never nice :lol: ;)
It's my own fault, I should have just taken a pic;
I just don't see why she didn't want to since she was just sitting there, everyone could see her (few recognised her) and then when I politely asked she kinda ridiculed me and rolled her eyes.
Again, she looked better in real life than she does on TV though.

Besides, Justine like her alot, so she must be a bitch ;)

I totally understand your reaction, pretty human too :hug:.

03 RuleTheCourt
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM
she is here exclusively for the game like Justine, contrary to Serena/Daniela who is more here for the show.

Yous' lucky that you're behind a computer screen .. Daniela & Serena have a huge immaculate fanbase :cool:
Your wichcraft would be burned alive if you'd say that out loud again ;).

xan
Nov 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the report. :yeah:

Iceland
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Yous' lucky that you're behind a computer screen .. Daniela & Serena have a huge immaculate fanbase :cool:
Your wichcraft would be burned alive if you'd say that out loud again ;).

I am not saying that negatively ;). Of course that they are also willing to play & win but they enjoy the life on the circuit, the shows, the parties etc while Marion or Justine have a stricter life. Well in a word, Marion or Justine are not the funniest players, they don't really try to attract the attention. That was the point of my post.

esquímaux
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Marion?? :o

UDACHi
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
you asked for a picture of her during a changeover during a match that she was commentating? :scratch:
kind of weird.

-VSR-
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Well she is just a normal girl except that she is a tennis player. She shouldn't be asked to be interesting or funny, she is here exclusively for the game like Justine, contrary to Serena/Daniela who is more here for the show.Still I find Marion quite interesting & smart on her ITWs. I also like her attitude on court, which is so rare coming from a French player.

Really? Well I think I like having Serena here more for "the show". If that can get her all those grand slams then power to Serena. :yeah:

Hashim.
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Marion:ras:

Hashim.
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
btw thanks for the report:)

Iceland
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Really? Well I think I like having Serena here more for "the show". If that can get her all those grand slams then power to Serena. :yeah:

Since when being for the show is considered to be bad :confused: It's just a different state of mind compared to Justine's, but not better nor worse. I wasn't judging it. ;)

ce
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Marion is such a bitch

perseus2006
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Pigam,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you made the best of a short holiday!!!

terjw
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the report Pigam.

I'm not sure I'd read too much into what Marion did unless it happened all the time. There's a 101 things it could have been at that particular time. Of course if it became a pattern of not being friendly to the fans that would be different ....

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
thanks a lot , very amusing ,,,

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the report Pigam.

I'm not sure I'd read too much into what Marion did unless it happened all the time. There's a 101 things it could have been at that particular time. Of course if it became a pattern of not being friendly to the fans that would be different ....

Thing is, you read alot of other peoples reports from tourneys, and they have had the same thing with Marion.

03 RuleTheCourt
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Thing is, you read alot of other peoples reports from tourneys, and they have had the same thing with Marion.

well at first instance she looks like a really nice girl, but apparently she isn't i guess :rolleyes:
And these rumours (as described here) are probably the only ones you'll ever hear linked to her.

She doesn't look like the girl to which one could relate an "i-got-into-her-panties"-adventure or scam
like one could suspect from the more famous & better looking diva's like Sharapova & companions, right ? :cool:

The Daviator
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Well in her defence (Marion apologist :D ), she was obviously in the middle of some work, and may not have expected that sort of request? But anyway, she shouldn't have rolled her eyes and been like that, but we all have off-days don't we :D Thanks for the report! :)

Jeff
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Nice overview, Pigam. Sounds like you had fun :) And, yes, unfortunately Marion is indeed as you described (i.e., it's not a fluke). I have been to several tournaments and she is never nice. When I asked for a picture with her she told me she had to go practice...oh i see, so even though nobody else even cares to ask you, it's going to affect your practice session to stop 10 seconds on your way and take a picture...pff lol.

eck
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I think (I could be 100% wrong) her training regime is rather weird.
It could be her, but I saw some girl training with a football at AO. I was like "O_o"

DutchieGirl
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:30 AM
well at first instance she looks like a really nice girl, but apparently she isn't i guess :rolleyes:
And these rumours (as described here) are probably the only ones you'll ever hear linked to her.

She doesn't look like the girl to which one could relate an "i-got-into-her-panties"-adventure or scam
like one could suspect from the more famous & better looking diva's like Sharapova & companions, right ? :cool:

Yeah - I agree. I would have assumed she'd be a nice girl from looking at her, but quite alot of people have written on here about similar situations to pigam - like after training or after a match or so. It's s pity. I mean if it was once or twice, ok - I understand players have off days too, but when it seems to happen to everyone who asks, then you start to wonder a bit. ;)

And no, I doubt we'd hear anything from anyone on the board about such a scandal with Marion - and if we heard one from someone about Sharapova then I'd be very dubios too (I'm sure the girl has some standards). ;) :angel:

DutchieGirl
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I think (I could be 100% wrong) her training regime is rather weird.
It could be her, but I saw some girl training with a football at AO. I was like "O_o"

Yes, Marion is the one with the "strange" training regime.

eck
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:52 AM
So that's true?
Wow I can't believe it, since I saw that in around 04 :lol:

DutchieGirl
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM
So that's true?
Wow I can't believe it, since I saw that in around 04 :lol:

Yeah...apparantly they use piping too, and she serves standing on tennis balls - and other unusual stuff.

eck
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:56 AM
She serves when standing on a tennis ball? O_o
:tape:
What is she, a magician? :o

DutchieGirl
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM
She serves when standing on a tennis ball? O_o
:tape:
What is she, a magician? :o

He Dad was a doctor and is now coaching her - he has some "different" idea's on how to train her. ;)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Marion :o

Il Primo!
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Marion is such a b*tch, as expected. And guys, she was not commentating the match, she was talking about her during the whole match, NUANCE :help:

spiceboy
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM

She was so happy while we took this pic at Wimbledon this year :haha:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8043/imagen1721pb0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

03 RuleTheCourt
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
And no, I doubt we'd hear anything from anyone on the board about such a scandal with Marion - and if we heard one from someone about Sharapova then I'd be very dubios too (I'm sure the girl has some standards). ;) :angel:

I hope so, i like Maria too much for that to happen again ;).

Oh, about the balls story, Anna Chakvetadze likes to use a football too, but i think that's more for balancing purposes & agility,
so it's not like Anna's standing on them like a flippin' mad sea lion waiting to get a fish... and now i'm having this weird image in my
head of Marion with flippers :D

03 RuleTheCourt
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
She was so happy while we took this pic at Wimbledon this year :haha:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8043/imagen1721pb0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

YEAH BABY .. what an abundance of JOY coming from her eyes ... it's about the same happiness as
in "When is this guy's gonna call it a day ...I need a stiff drink" :lol:

pigam
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
:lol:

I forgot to mention, i also saw Lina Krasnoroutskaya in the commentators boot. and man! she is smoooking! didn't dare to ask a pic :$ since she was obviously very cocnentrated on the commentating, and her beauty was quite euhm well more overwhelming than bartoli's ;) :p