PDA

View Full Version : the INCREDIBLE 2007 run of Jelena Pandzic on USTA circuit

chuvack
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
starting in May this year with ZERO wta ranking, Pandzic has a 64-8 record on the USTA circut, has passed qualifying at 7 consecative 50000 chalenger events, and won the title 4 consecative 10000 events. And most of the matches she has won, by delivering a thrashing to the opponent. A really increidble record. Also Pandzic is not a young player, she is 24. Maybe she was playing for a US university team before, anyone knows? But ususally the players from these USA university teams suck when they try to join the tour, so its a big mystery.

tennisbuddy12
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM
she played for Fresno Sate until 2007...reached NCAA final in 03 and lost to Liu in 3s....very sweet girl and has game to be in top 100...

chuvack
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM
she played for Fresno Sate until 2007...reached NCAA final in 03 and lost to Liu in 3s....very sweet girl and has game to be in top 100...

Jelena got her revenge then because she recently defeated Liu in one of the challengers.

Jakeev
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Actually she started at Fresno State but then switched to the NAIA the past two years at Fresno Pacific. Not sure why she made that switch.

I have a friend that played her this past season during the Spring in a dual college match and my friend got thrashed by Jelena in no time. My friend said she felt like a fly trying to fight off a spider that got on top of her:lol:

chuvack
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Actually she started at Fresno State but then switched to the NAIA the past two years at Fresno Pacific. Not sure why she made that switch.

:

NAIA is a organization of teams from the small, non-elite US universities, while NCAA is for the big elite universities, correct?

wow what a story. I suspected that with this results that Jelena can not be coming from NCAA, becuase such NCAA players (like Liu and others) never do much results on the tour.

tennis_pIayer
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM
but amber liu still beat pandzic for the ncaa, and both are similar age.

spiceboy
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Jelena Pandzic was ranked No. 1 in the world in the under 14 age bracket and was personally trained by Nick Bollettieri in the mid 90's as he dubbed her as the next Monica Seles. In fact, he ends his autobiography My aces, my faults (1997, Robson Books) this way:

"...I went to a junior tournament in the south of France. I saw a thirteen-yea-old there who was unbelievable. She played like she was from another planet. She was from Croatia, just like Monica (:tape:) and Iva. Her name was Jelena Pandzic. I invited her to live and train at the academy. You know, with the right coaching, I think she can be a champion."

There are rumours she had a car accident that jeopardized her career too but I cannot confirm that.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/502803373_b0b56769e4.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/501566916_5747eaeeaa.jpg

RJWCapriati
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Sounds like she has some talent if Nick said that.

njnetswill
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Thank you, I was looking for Jelena's story. Her record in the last half year is truly amazing. :worship:

Tennisace
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Jelena left Fresno State because she was declared to be ineligible by the NCAA. The NAIA has much more laxed rules when it comes to eligibility and hence this is why she went to Fresno Pacific. NAIA competition is MUCH weaker.

Jakeev
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:04 AM
NAIA is a organization of teams from the small, non-elite US universities, while NCAA is for the big elite universities, correct?

wow what a story. I suspected that with this results that Jelena can not be coming from NCAA, becuase such NCAA players (like Liu and others) never do much results on the tour.

That pretty much sums it up. The majority of the players you probably will never see even in a 10K event and that includes by friend that got beat up by Jelena.

Pandzic just virtually dominated every opponent she came in contact with last year. I think nearly a dozen of her matches were double bagels. Her toughest match was against a player named Casey Knutson who she beat 7-5 in the third set of a dual match.

But again, not sure what the story is of her switching colleges.

tennis_pIayer
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM
well, pandzic lost to audra cohen I think last year when she got bumped to the ncaa. so audra cohen aint that bad after all!!

Tennisace
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I did a little more digging to find out why she was ruled ineligible. Looks like the summer between her first year when she reached the NCAA finals, she played in a German league, which was deemed to be at a professional level, thus giving up her amateur status.

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/020305aaa.html

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Congrats to Jelena P on an awesome last qtr of 2007 :cool: :bounce:

chuvack
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM
thanks for pics, she is a hotty.

I guess I jinx her because Jelena lost 61 63 to Angelica Bachman in the 50K yesterday. Is like only her 3rd straight set loss in 73 matches this year, I think other 2 set losses this year are to Domachowska and Dubois.

justine schnyder
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:35 AM
thanks for pics, she is a hotty.

I guess I jinx her because Jelena lost 61 63 to Angelica Bachman in the 50K yesterday. Is like only her 3rd straight set loss in 73 matches this year, I think other 2 set losses this year are to Domachowska and Dubois.

Wow.
I hope we'll see her next year in some tier IV or something..:)

Jakeev
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I did a little more digging to find out why she was ruled ineligible. Looks like the summer between her first year when she reached the NCAA finals, she played in a German league, which was deemed to be at a professional level, thus giving up her amateur status.

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/020305aaa.html

Great digging!!!

Slumpsova
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
i love the hype!
go Pandzic :hearts:

matty
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I wonder what it was that made her not become the next Monica Seles?

chuvack
Nov 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I wonder what it was that made her not become the next Monica Seles?

yes it is a very odd situation. Because why would a player who was so good, so young, decide to go to a obscure US university when she was being named as one of great future stars of the game? Bolleriti discovered her 10 years ago yet she only surfaces now. I looked further and Jelena was having good results in 2001, she won a couple of 10K events in Europe and passed qualifying at bigger events, then just quit playing. There must be some kind of interesting back story to why she didnt go full time pro at 16-17. And also she must be very motivated to re-start her career so late, in womens tennis it rarely happens like this.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Nov 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Jelena :hearts:

justine schnyder
Nov 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM
BTW, she double bagled Brie a few weeks ago

spiceboy
Nov 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Actually, Jelena double-bagelled Brie twice this season :devil:

justine schnyder
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Actually, Jelena double-bagelled Brie twice this season :devil:

:lol: :tape: :help:
So...
Brie-Jelena 0-12.
In one year. OMG. :spit:

chuvack
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM

whats your point? Players with 1/10 of the talent of Pandzic have been double bagling Brie Whitehead on a regualar basis. Of course Jelena double bagled her.