PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova's maturity at 20 puts Serena Williams to shame

Rosslyn
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
http://www.sportingo.com/tennis/maria_sharapovas_maturity_20_puts/1001,5762

Maria Sharapova's maturity at 20 puts Serena Williams to shame

'Serena has often used the phrase "all she had to do was turn up today" when she loses a match'

The Russian is the embodiment of the true sporting spirit in accepting defeat graciously and being honest with the press and fans. Contrast this with the likes of Serena Williams after a defeat. It's not every day that you see a tennis player cry with tears of joy after losing a match - but this is exactly what was happened last Sunday in Madrid.

"I'm usually not a very emotional person when it comes to crying and stuff. But after this match I just had tears running down my eyes because I couldn't believe that I was able to finish this year on such a good note," Maria Sharapova says on her website.

Much can be said about the WTA Tour Championships final in Madrid, but for me the real strength of character came after the match in the acceptance speeches. Sharapova opened her address by congratulating Justine Henin on a tremendous year, adding that it had been "an honour to play her".

She followed on by thanking everybody and anybody, including the hordes of Belgian fans, saying: "I didn't like you much today...but you guys are great for the sport." It's not every day that you witness a great display of sportsmanship on the court.

I can't help but use this point in contrast to Serena Williams' atrocious behaviour after losing to Henin at this year's US Open. In her post-match interview, she replied to journalists' questions with yes-no answers. She barely gave any credit to her opponent but admitted she had played a better match.

This isn't the first time that Serena has acted like this, and she has often used the phrase "all she had to do was turn up today" when she loses a match.

I understand that in competitive sport, it's a bitter pill to swallow when you lose, but I always find it admirable when players give their opponent the credit they deserve. Sharapova is a role model to so many young children around the world, and although she is only young herself, she showed immense maturity beyond her 20 years.

Let's hope that in the future we will witness more speeches like the one we heard last Sunday.

xr6turbo
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
:weirdo: Get over yourself. Stop trolling about Serena and Venus :rolleyes: Kthxbye.

MisterMan
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Totally agree with the original post. Can you even imagine Maria saying someone is "overrated" to the press like Serena did?
No way.

Maria should be Serenas role model.

mashamaniac
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
i too agreed completely! serena has to learn many things from maria,that's for sure!

Direwolf
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:37 PM
i dont know...
had Maria lose 1-6 2-6 i think
things would be different.

Thats why Venus is more loved than Serena..

goldlion
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Serena is too arrogant and she just feels she's everthing.

It is as if tennis only belongs to her and she's the only one who can control.

Be mature Serena and don't forget sportsmanship!.

Paneru
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
It would be refreshing if just once the same that trash Serena for her
"maturity/class" (or lack thereof) would turn the mirror on themselves
with the words that come from their own mouths regarding/responding to
whatever Serena may or may not have said.

To think of some of the vile nastiness that has come from these
same people who would dare to have the audasity to say anything
about what Serena says is well just, ironic.

Oh the hypocracy. :cool:

hotandspicey
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Oh please. :rolleyes: She ain't all that gracious...she forgot to thank Venus amidst her "anybody and everybody"! :lol: Sharapova is paid highly by IMG to say what she says and maintain their image.:tape: And she cried because justine whopped her behind and she was pissed. Plain and simple. I can see where this thread is going. :rolleyes:

shap_half
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Oh please. :rolleyes: She ain't all that gracious...she forgot to thank Venus amidst her "anybody and everybody"! :lol: Sharapova is paid highly by IMG to say what she says and maintain their image.:tape: And she cried because justine whopped her behind and she was pissed. Plain and simple. I can see where this thread is going. :rolleyes:

I don't think IMG pays Maria anything. It's the other way around.

If you don't see where this thread is going then why do you participate?

hotandspicey
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
It would be refreshing if just once the same that trash Serena for her
"maturity/class" (or lack thereof) would turn the mirror on themselves
with the words that come from their own mouths regarding/responding to
whatever Serena may or may not have said.

To think of some of the vile nastiness that has come from these
same people who would dare to have the audasity to say anything
about what Serena says is well just, ironic.

Oh the hypocracy. :cool:

Amen! Some people need to clean up their own backyards, before attempting to clean up Serena's.:lol:

Juju4ever
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
What's Serena got to do with this? :confused:

Anyway, Maria is very classy indeed, she's setting a good example for every player on tour.

mashamaniac
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM

:zzz: :zzz: that's so funny... maria could at least win a set off justin,serena couldn't win a set in 3 successive QF loses,then you talk about henin whopping maria?? :smash:

southpaw58
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
who cares? everyone has their moments. I don't agree with some of the things that serena does, but i don't get mad at all these other players and put them down too. Their human they have different personalities. They get mad, get arrorgant--

was an article like this really needed? it's just so much unnecessary drama.

Poova
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
The original post is absolutely right. Serena is a pathetic sore loser who needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child whenever she loses. It's a shame that no amount of money can buy class.

Maria, on the other hand, is a true role model to any young woman. :worship:

MatchpointPRT
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
yes, it´s true, i started liking Sharapova and one of the main reasons for that is that i saw that she shows a lot of respect to her opponents and even being disappointed and even knowing that she didnt play her best she always uses her words to give credit to her opponents instead of saying that she played ridiculous. We don´t see such a nice attitude in many players so even if 2007 was her worst year now i really like her a lot. About the comparison with Serena i just think that the contrast in behaviour after a loss couldn´t be bigger...

Mina Vagante
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Maria's not that mature anyways. I dont even think mature is the word. Hitting Serena with the smash

' I don't go on court for being reconised for having good looks, i go oin the court to kick the ass of my opponent'

Yeah real mature:o

Bijoux0021
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
:zzz: :zzz: that's so funny... maria could at least win a set off justin,serena couldn't win a set in 3 successive QF loses,then you talk about henin whopping maria?? :smash:
Stop lying! Serena did win a set off Justine at Wimbledon, and she was fighting two injuries at the time. In addition, Carlos was coaching Justine throughout the match.

Renalicious
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Omg, who gives a crap. That's Maria. She can go do whatever she likes...stop comparing what she says to Serena. They had different situations and they're different people.

Effy
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Stop lying! Serena did win a set off Justine at Wimbledon, and she was fighting two injuries at the time. In addition, Carlos was coaching Justine throughout the match.

:rolls: i see this coming.. excuses ..excuses

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Who won the Miami final and won the AO this year

something Sharapova couldnt do :lol:

mashamaniac
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:13 PM

ok pal,they don't give a shit to who wins a set,do they?if you say serena was injured,so was maria! maria just had come back from an injury-plagued season,and actually was playin' her 1st match for nearly 2 months! she was playing only for the 2nd time in 3/5 months space since USO...:rolleyes:

Paneru
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:13 PM
And I see my point is already proven. Serena's maturity/class being
slammed by people who are by their own words showing the same lack
of maturity/class that they are slamming Serena for.

Oh Lord! :help:

Effy
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
another Serena/Maria bashing thread and mods are sleeping :zzz: as usual

mashamaniac
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Who won the Miami final and won the AO this year

something Sharapova couldnt do :lol:

:zzz: retard!are we talking about titles? or just about class and behaviour?

Bijoux0021
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:20 PM
ok pal,they don't give a shit to who wins a set,do they?if you say serena was injured,so was maria! maria just had come back from an injury-plagued season,and actually was playin' her 1st match for nearly 2 months! she was playing only for the 2nd time in 3/5 months space since USO...:rolleyes:
Obvious, you do stupid! Wasn't you who just stated a few minutes ago that Serena couldn't win a set off Justine in 3 successive QF Losses? You need to go back and read your own post before you continue to make a fool of yourself.

plantman
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM
The original post is absolutely right. Serena is a pathetic sore loser who needs to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child whenever she loses. It's a shame that no amount of money can buy class.

Maria, on the other hand, is a true role model to any young woman. :worship:

:yeah:

Tamus
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM
i dont know...
had Maria lose 1-6 2-6 i think
things would be different.

That's not true. She was very gracious after her loss to Serena at AO as well.

mashamaniac
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Obvious, you do stupid! Wasn't you who just stated a few minutes ago that Serena couldn't win a set off Justine in 3 successive QF Losses? You need to go back and read your own post before you continue to make a fool of yourself.

hey lad,i just forgot that wimbly result that serena won a set there! but still believe she won't win justin in their upcoming encounters!

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
:zzz: retard!are we talking about titles? or just about class and behaviour? You were just saying how Maria could take a set off Justine but Serena beat Justine in the miami 07 final

you really are a retard beyond its sad how stupid you are.

Im suprised mashabators didnt get that many votes on annoying fan base

Idiot :weirdo:

plantman
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM

:smash:

Don't you know by now that Serena owns the rights to the "injury" excuse! Nobody dare use it to defend their fave or you'll catch all the backlash from ya'll know who....

Sally Struthers
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I like hearing people say stuff like Serena instead of all the politically correct/non-controversial crap that most say. Of course I'm a bit of a sore loser when it comes to things too so I completely understand where she is coming from :haha:

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Maria, on the other hand, is a true role model to any young woman. :worship: Some of you people need another hobby :lol:

Grow up.

Bijoux0021
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
:zzz: retard!are we talking about titles? or just about class and behaviour?
Uh puhleeeeese! I guess some people are still not over the humiliating losses Serena gave Sharapova this year, so you're trying to make yourselves feel better by bringing up "class and behavior." To say that Sharapova has class is laughable. Whenever there was an article written this year regarding cheatings, gamesmanships and sportsmanships in women's tennis, Sharapova and Justine's pictures were used to accompany those articles.

Effy
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Uh puhleeeeese! I guess some people are still not over the humiliating losses Serena gave Sharapova this year, so you're trying to make yourselves feel better by bringing up "class and behavior." To say that Sharapova has class is laughable. Whenever there was an article written this year regarding cheatings, gamesmanships and sportsmanships in women's tennis, Sharapova and Justine's pictures were used to accompany those articles.

:weirdo:

harloo
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.sportingo.com/tennis/maria_sharapovas_maturity_20_puts/1001,5762

Maria Sharapova's maturity at 20 puts Serena Williams to shame

'Serena has often used the phrase "all she had to do was turn up today" when she loses a match'

The Russian is the embodiment of the true sporting spirit in accepting defeat graciously and being honest with the press and fans. Contrast this with the likes of Serena Williams after a defeat. It's not every day that you see a tennis player cry with tears of joy after losing a match - but this is exactly what was happened last Sunday in Madrid.

"I'm usually not a very emotional person when it comes to crying and stuff. But after this match I just had tears running down my eyes because I couldn't believe that I was able to finish this year on such a good note," Maria Sharapova says on her website.

Much can be said about the WTA Tour Championships final in Madrid, but for me the real strength of character came after the match in the acceptance speeches. Sharapova opened her address by congratulating Justine Henin on a tremendous year, adding that it had been "an honour to play her".

She followed on by thanking everybody and anybody, including the hordes of Belgian fans, saying: "I didn't like you much today...but you guys are great for the sport." It's not every day that you witness a great display of sportsmanship on the court.

I can't help but use this point in contrast to Serena Williams' atrocious behaviour after losing to Henin at this year's US Open. In her post-match interview, she replied to journalists' questions with yes-no answers. She barely gave any credit to her opponent but admitted she had played a better match.

This isn't the first time that Serena has acted like this, and she has often used the phrase "all she had to do was turn up today" when she loses a match.

I understand that in competitive sport, it's a bitter pill to swallow when you lose, but I always find it admirable when players give their opponent the credit they deserve. Sharapova is a role model to so many young children around the world, and although she is only young herself, she showed immense maturity beyond her 20 years.

Let's hope that in the future we will witness more speeches like the one we heard last Sunday.

Did you write this shit? :lol:

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Did you write this shit? :lol: He did :lol:

égalité
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm sure plenty of top players have the same thoughts that Serena Williams does when she loses, but part of maturity is knowing when to bite your tongue. ;)

Rosslyn
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Did you write this shit? :lol:

No, I didn't. But, as you can see, Serena's shameful behaviour is now well recognized and documented everywhere in the world

LDF
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
:yawn: Another thread set up just to allow posters to bash Maria and Serena.

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
:yawn: Another thread set up just to create a feud between the Maria and Serena fans. Agreed.

Maybe GM should be renamed to Serena?

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
No, I didn't. But, as you can see, Serena's shameful behaviour is now well recognized and documented everywhere in the world Serena can be a bitch but at the end of the day in the "tennis world" we all know who puts who to shame

harloo
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Anyway, Maria is very classy indeed, she's setting a good example for every player on tour.

Maria's gracious act is faker than a lee press on nail but as usual she'll be praised for doing the obvious. Let's get real here, these women want to win the title and it's refreshing when they're not trying to uphold some good school girl image. Maria cried because she wanted that title and should of spoken from the heart instead of giving one of those scripted feel good speeches. It would make her personality more engaging to me and I'm pretty sure many others.

plantman
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Serena can be a bitch but at the end of the day in the "tennis world" we all know who puts who to shame

Are you refering to Serena or Serena?:lol:

Ninny
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM
And I see my point is already proven. Serena's maturity/class being
slammed by people who are by their own words showing the same lack
of maturity/class that they are slamming Serena for.

Oh Lord! :help:

Isn't there a difference?

Serena is in the spotlight, watched and loved by many young people around the world who see her as a role model, whereby the posters on this board are not!

DokicPova
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
agree. go maria!

Ninny
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Ooh I hadn't seen these, got any links? :bounce:

lizchris
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Face it; Venus and Serena ARE women's tennis. Proof of this? A Reuters article announcing that the Williams sisters are playing womens doubles at the Australia Open and how the ATF (Australian Tennis Federation) is so looking foreard to seeing them play. Would Sharapova or Justine garner that type of coverage for doubles or for even a singles match? I don't think so.

harloo
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
No, I didn't. But, as you can see, Serena's shameful behaviour is now well recognized and documented everywhere in the world
I went to the site and this is the first thing I noticed: Become an Author (http://www.sportingo.com/action?mod=sbuser&ac=23&state=1)

:tape::lol:

Plus, I don't believe a reputable journalist would write such a trite, vile, and biased article. This is the work of an amateur. :help:

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I think when Hingis, Kournikova and Williiams came on the tour, they felt a sense of entitlement. Hingis insulted Amelie, Kournikova told fans they couldn't afford her. It was just the way they talked then.

It's a different situation that Sharapova is coming into a few years ago.
You don't see any tough remarks from the young players now.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Face it; Venus and Serena ARE women's tennis.
Of all the Williams troll spam, this is the stupidest. Prizemoney is going up and up.
The Williams sisters can retire now, and the tour will thrive.
They are as irrelevant as anyone else.

volta
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/crybaby.png
"waaaaaa Serena is a Sore loser ...waaaaaaa Serena doesn't give credit to her opponets ... waaaaaaa she talks big and doesn't say what i want to hear waaaaaa ...."

Rock On Queen Rena :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :worship: :worship: :worship: