PDA

View Full Version : 2008: The best year to date for Maria?

s_j
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM
After a very promising final display from Maria at the YECs last week, I can't help but feel Maria's best career year to date will be 2008. Quite often, players with a very strong mentality and attitude who come back from injury, like Serena AO 2007, make an impressive comeback and produce some of the best results of their career. Maria could very well do the same. Her entire game, as a whole, has improved and now the injury's gone I feel like she'll make a rise to the top again, especially at AO. The surface has changed (and to the sounds of things, it works in her favour) and she always does reasonably well in Australia. If she wins the tournament, which is possible (I'd say she's second favourite at the moment), it could set the tone to what could be a fantastic 2008. Also, Maria seems to like even-numbered years. We all know what happened in 2004 and 2006 so could 2008 be the best one yet?

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Some people thought she was ready to dominate 2007.
She has to stay healthy, she has to beat Justine, who's been improving.

sharapovarulz1
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
She has to stay healthy and work on her game as a whole also start winning her matches against Henin and the Williams sisters then she can make 2008 her best year so far :)

Matt01
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I think we can discuss this when the 2008 season is over :lol:

mashamaniac
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
well as ppl said if she stays healthy and her serve is on,why not? i mean then we can expect her best season to come...her serve,her groundstrokes and her defence game are vital in all matches,so if everything goes well we'll see a new dominate maria!

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM
No :yawn:

After she won the US last year people said this and she barley made YEC this year

Lunaris
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Should have voted for the Mashabators. :banghead:

Aaron.
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Should have voted for the Mashabators. :banghead: :lol:

Philbo
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I think this year was a disaster for Maria.. I think Serena has her psyched out after the beatdowns she put on Maria this year..

I see 2008 being a year where Maria wins nearly every match against players not named Venus, Justine or Serena but loses every match against those 3.. The Williams have her power and athleticism (court coverage) she just cannot match..

shap_half
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Here's what I think, going by form is a tough thing to consider when you realize that players like JH, SW and VW can basically play shitty one day and completely obliterate the rest of the field the next. So as well as Maria is playing now, it would really depend on who how well her three major competitors are playing. I hope for her sake that she is able to take her game to another level during the off season because she really needs to take control of how her year is going. Keep herself healthy and motivated to play well.

Dexter
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Should have voted for the Mashabators. :banghead:Ditts. :o

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I think 2008 will be a breakthrough year for Kirilenko. She's going to be the big Maria on the block

xan
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm sure Maria is likely to dominate at some point. Will it be 2008?

We'll have to wait and see.....

Volcana
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
You've got two months to be optimistic, so why not?

plantman
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
You've got two months to be optimistic, so why not?

At least they have that option! There's a lot to look forward to in 08 surrounding Miss Sharapova.:)

faboozadoo15
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
:lol: We thought this about 2007. We'll just have to wait and see. She's on an upswing and very very hungry for good results. She'll need to be in phenominal form to win in Australia, and that would really set a nice tone for the year. The outlook is good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. She still has a few scores to settle with a few girls.

Tennisstar86
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
:yawn: Didnt we hear this in 2006?

I think the second part of 2008 will be better for sharapova (can it really be worse?) i think she'll struggle in the start of the year though (and by struggle i mean repeating her final at AO and SF at the FO....)

but i think their are too many contenders (Venus, Serena, Justine) for this to be Sharapova's "best" year ever. Granted Sharapova's yet to have a "steller" year.... In order for it to be her best year ever she'd have to win 2 GS. and i just dont see that happening.... Better than 07... but not best ever.

mboyle
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:35 AM
The Williams have her power and athleticism (court coverage) she just cannot match..

And Maria has the work ethic and consistency the Williamses cannot match.

AcesHigh
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Well.. she did make a slam final this year, did everyone forget that?? She might not even get that far in 2008, who knows.

However, I hope in 2008, Maria gets back to making the late stages of every tournament she enters, like she should be.

The Daviator
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Like others have said, she looked way more promising at the end of last year, you just never know how a season will go :shrug: At the end of last year no-one, not even her haters, would have said she'd win just one title in 2007, so we'll have to wait and see :p

Tennisstar86
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:26 AM

22 Grand slam finals say differently....

Sharakim
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I agree with those who have said that you can't predict how an athletes year is going to go. As a Masha fan, I hope that she finds the form and consistancy that brought her two grand slam titles again in 2008. I hope that she exercises her demons by scoring wins over the Williams sisters and Henin. And I hope that she wins several slam titles and ends the year #1 in the world. But at this point, I'm just dreaming. I won't know how Maria's playing until she actually plays in Jan 2008.

plantman
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I agree with those who have said that you can't predict how an athletes year is going to go. As a Masha fan, I hope that she finds the form and consistancy that brought her two grand slam titles again in 2008. I hope that she exercises her demons by scoring wins over the Williams sisters and Henin. And I hope that she wins several slam titles and ends the year #1 in the world. But at this point, I'm just dreaming. I won't know how Maria's playing until she actually plays in Jan 2008.

There's nothing wrong with "dreaming"! We are all guilty of it.:)

hablo
Nov 17th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Should have voted for the Mashabators. :banghead:

:lol:

CJ07
Nov 17th, 2007, 03:50 AM
why work hard and be consistent when you win 6-1 6-1 anyway?