PDA

View Full Version : A new Lindsay article about the olympics

Lindsayfan32
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Here is another Lindsay article about her comeback and her wanting to participate in next year's olympics

INTERVIEW-Tennis-The lure of the Olympics for mother Davenport

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05pm GMT
By Mark Lamport-Stokes

LOS ANGELES, Nov 15 (Reuters) - Former world number one Lindsay Davenport says her decision to return to the game after a year in retirement was largely motivated by the chance of competing at next year's Olympics in Beijing.
American Davenport, who gave birth to a son, Jagger, in June before mounting a triumphant WTA Tour comeback, was a gold medallist in the women's singles at the 1996 Atlanta Games.

"To go back to the Olympics as a mother and a wife and have my whole family there would be so amazingly different than the 12 years before in Atlanta," Davenport, 31, told Reuters in a telephone interview on Thursday.
"I was lucky enough to be in Atlanta and on the Sydney team (in 2000) but I turned down the chance to go to Athens in 2004 which was a decision that sometimes I regret."

Davenport, who has won two titles in three tournaments since returning to singles action at the WTA event in Bali in September, treasures her gold medal from Atlanta."It was the first big thing I won and a huge honour," the former Wimbledon, U.S. Open and Australian Open champion said.
"Being Olympic champion is kind of bigger than tennis and at that point I hadn't been a grand slam champion yet. My dad was an Olympian, my family were there in Atlanta and it was a huge moment for me.

"When I won the U.S. Open in 1998, it seemed to give me more validity as a player. Those two were certainly big turning points in my career and it's hard to compare them."
Now that she is juggling motherhood and professional tennis, Davenport has no desire to return to the circuit full time.

UNCHARTED TERRITORY
"I have never navigated these waters before -- having a baby -- and trying to do what is best for Jagger is first and foremost," she said.
"But I'm excited about playing again and I am planning to go to Australia right after Christmas to play my first grand slam since my son was born.
"Then luckily for me the Tour goes back to the States in the spring and obviously travelling in the U.S. is a lot easier for me and Jagger. Then we'll just see how it goes. I hope to play not a full-time schedule but maybe a semi-full schedule."
One of the pioneers of the power game in women's tennis, Davenport has set her sights on competing in three of the four grand slam events next season.

"My goals are to be able to play the Australian Open, to get to Wimbledon, play the Olympics and obviously I would love to play the U.S. Open one more time," she said.
"The French Open has always been a tough grand slam for me and I am not positive I will go there."
Davenport, who clinched her 53rd singles title on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour at this month's Quebec City Challenge, had one major fear when she returned to the circuit.

"It was the doubt," she said. "Can I still do this? Physically, my body has changed a ton and I have gone through a lot with the birth.
"And how have the other girls changed, have they gotten so much better in the last year? I didn't really know what I was up against.
"But I have a strong will and a good, competitive spirit and I thought it was a great challenge for me to try and come back into shape and start playing well again. The biggest fear was not being good any more." (Editing by Clare Lovell)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_TENNIS/idUKN1530034120071115

Ikari
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Hmmmm... Venus has also said she intends to compete with Serena in the Olympic doubles. Hope they dont compete with Lindsay for the singles spot!

Lindsayfan32
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hmmmm... Venus has also said she intends to compete with Serena in the Olympic doubles. Hope they dont compete with Lindsay for the singles spot!

I hate to point this out to you bt Lindsay has nothing to defend for all of next year apart from the Asian swing that she played this year. So Lindsay ranking is only going to go up. The three singles players for the olympics should be the the sisters and Lindsay and the sisters should only get the doubles place if they have earnt it with their doubles ranking in my opinon it should be a Huber/Raymond combination playing the doubles in the olympics. what they intend to do and what they get are two different things and I hope common sense prevails here and the doubles spot it given on ranking not to the sisters because of who they are.

LDF
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for posting the article. :wavey:

A medal at the Olympics would complete an amazing story. But I'm not going to think that far ahead yet. ;)

I hope I'll be able to see her at Wimbledon!

Dave.
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I am desperate for Lindsay to win a slam but an olympic medal would be almost as good! The Slams and the Olympics are the ones I hope she does the best in. She hasen't lost before the 4R of a slam since French Open 2000 so I hope she keeps that alive next year.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm still, three tournaments and two titles into Lindsay's comeback just in awe that she's back. So any tournament, big or small, is a bonus.

Honestly, I'm more excited about the Olympics than all the slams for next year. I naturally whenever it's an Olypmic Year, but this time is going to be more special because of Lindsay's participation. I was really bummed when she didn't play in Athens, so this is going to be a big deal.

The Daviator
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I'm still, three tournaments and two titles into Lindsay's comeback just in awe that she's back. So any tournament, big or small, is a bonus.

So true :worship:

There are 5 biggies next year (4 without RG :p ) She's gotta win one if there's any justice in the world :D

Dave.
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I was also disappointed in 2004 when Lindsay didn't go to Athens but she turned out to have a summer that would turn her career around once more and have a whole other period as a dominant player. If she went to Athens, I fear she would have had another very close loss in the SF or something and perhaps have retired then and there. Staying in the US on her winning streak was certainly the better option in the long run. Sydney 2000 was disappointing aswell as she got injured I think on her title defense. Hopefully Beijing 2008 will have a medal for Lindsay:)

Nov 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I hope Lindsay can attain all her goals for the upcoming year

serenus_2k8
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM
:eek: I hope Venus and Serena earn it and get it...otherwise I agfee that it would be totally unfair! They arent the only women who would love the chance to represent their country and play at the olympics!

Still I would much rather see the Williams there :D

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
The perfect team would be:

Singles:
Lindsay
Venus
Serena
Raymond

Doubles:
Williams
Davenport-Raymond

With this combo, I dont see why US wont hold any Gold Medal at all.

Lindsayfan32
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:32 AM
The perfect team would be:

Singles:
Lindsay
Venus
Serena
Raymond

Doubles:
Williams
Davenport-Raymond

With this combo, I dont see why US wont hold any Gold Medal at all.

I agree with you on that team but sub raymond and Davenport for Raymond / Huber it the most likely team if it's done on ranking. I don't want to see the Williams sisters get the doubles berth just because of who they are they should have to earn it like everyone else.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I agree with you on that team but sub raymond and Davenport for Raymond / Huber it the most likely team if it's done on ranking. I don't want to see the Williams sisters get the doubles berth just because of who they are they should have to earn it like everyone else.

I think victory is sweeter if this 4 players represent USA because they were all natural born americans.

Lindsayfan32
Nov 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I think victory is sweeter if this 4 players represent USA because they were all natural born americans.

Yeah I will agree to that to an extent but it's not like Huber moved to the US a year ago and decided to become a citzen. She has lived in Texas for years and if I'm not mistaken her husband is an American. I just don't like the Williams sisters getting things like a doubles spot on an olympic team because of who they are. Who ever gets it should have earnt it and if Lisa Raymond and Huber are the two doubles playes with the highest rankings as of the June 8th cut off they should be the team.

The Daviator
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM
The Williams sisters won the Olympics in doubles before though, and Raymond and Huber don't have the singles committments that Venus and Serena have, anyway, they're playing doubles at the Slams next year so I think they'll earn it :)

Nov 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
But aren't the Williams sisters planning on playing doubles at the slams as well?

Lindsayfan32
Nov 20th, 2007, 10:50 PM
But aren't the Williams sisters planning on playing doubles at the slams as well?

They planning on playing at the Australian open but after that who knows. In theory they shouldn't have a higher enough ranking to get the olympic doubles berth if Huber and Raymond keep playing the way they have in the past year and who ever the doubles team is it should be earnt not given to them.