18. Safina
19. Golovin
20. Bammer
20. Dulko (WC)
20. Sugiyama (WC)

Gold Exempt Emeritus: Lindsay Davenport

*S.Williams is #4 in Americas and Europe region
**Kuznetsova is #4 in Asia Pacific region

+ As of the WTA Tour ranking on the Monday after the US Open, September 10, 2007

2008 SILVER EXEMPT LIST

21. A. Bondarenko
22. Safarova
23. Szavay
24. Srebotnik
25. Schiavone
26. Li
27. Mirza
28. Pierce (SR 27)
29. Garbin
30. Zvonareva

31. A.Radwanska
32. Medina Garrigues
33. Krajicek
34. Santangelo
35. Kirilenko
36. Stosur
37. Danilidou
38. Azarenka
39. Paszek
40. Razzano
41. Vakulenko
42. Loit
43. Muller
44. Dushevina
45. K. Bondarenko
46. Jackson (SR 46)
47. Tu
48. Shaughnessy
49. Peng
50. Poutchkova
50. Pennetta (WC)
50. Vesnina (WC)

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:34 AM
TU made it on the Silver Exempt list. Its also good to see Jam Jam and MARY in with SRs :bounce: Hingis is on the Gold List =-o

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Mirza should be higher up. She draws fans.

spiceboy
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Mirza should be higher up. She draws fans.

Yeah, strange that tournament directors chose Dulko and Sugiyama instead of Mirza, Szavay or Zvonareva :tape:

Pennetta and Vesnina were voted as WC for Silver Exempt by tournament directors of Tier IV tournaments

Serena!
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:49 AM
what is the exempt list?

Mightymirza
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Yeah, strange that tournament directors chose Dulko and Sugiyama instead of Mirza, Szavay or Zvonareva :tape:

Pennetta and Vesnina were voted as WC for Silver Exempt by tournament directors of Tier IV tournaments

I know!! Szavay should have been in gold exempt list..:shrug: Dont see why they chose Dulko..

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Does anyone have the money breakdown?
I'd like to see how much Vera Z and Vera D get.

Lunaris
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Szavay is still a rather unknown player who played qualifications most of the 2007, don't see a reason why she should be GE. Dulko is a surprising choice, although when you think twice maybe it's not cause she's pretty. But they could chose Kirilenko instead I guess, maybe Mirza. I doubt it will affect tournaments attendance any way.
Does this mean that Kuznetsova is a bigger drawcard for asian public than Williams?
Good that Miss H. is outside top 10. I don't like the restriction for the top 10 players even though they're probably necessary.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Only the top 10 in the gold list cannot play TIV events, right? and it's only those 10 that can play like two or three TIII events right?

TO newbie
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
what is the exempt list?

it is kinda hard to explain but to get more details you need to go to the WTA site and read the rule book for the tour (it is under the media center tab on the right hand side of the website home page). On page 11 of the tour rule book it explains gold and silver exempt players (and the rules on which tournaments they can and can not enter etc.). Basically this is the list of players that draw the most fans and therefore they enter into a contract with the tour that sets their schedule so that the tour spreads out their appearance and makes all of the tour owners happy.

Lunaris
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Only the top 10 in the gold list cannot play TIV events, right? and it's only those 10 that can play like two or three TIII events right?
copy, paste from WTA website

1. Open Weeks
In an Open Week (defined as a week where there is no Grand Slam, Sony Ericsson Championships, Tier I or Tier II Tournament) scheduled opposite a Tier III or Tier IV Tournament:
a. Gold Exempt players may play in Tier III Tournaments.
b. Gold Exempt players 1-10 may not play in Tier IV
Tournaments.
c. Gold Exempt players 11-20 and Silver Exempt players 21-30 may not play down in a Tier IV opposite a Tier III Tournament unless the Tier III Tournamentís Player Commitment Formula has been met as of the Play Down Deadline.

2. Non-Open Weeks
In a Non-Open Week (defined as a week in which there is a Tier I or Tier II Tournament scheduled in the same week as a Tier III or Tier IV Tournament):
a. Gold Exempt players listed 1-6 may not play down opposite a Tier I or Tier II Tournament.
b. Gold Exempt players listed 1-10 may not play down in a Tier IV Tournament.
c. Gold Exempt players listed 7-10
i. May not play down opposite a Tier I Tournament.
ii. May not play down in a Tier III Tournament opposite a Tier II Tournament unless:
(a) the Tier II Tournamentís Player Commitment Formula has been met as of the Play Down Deadline; or
(b) if the Tier III Tournament is the playerís required Tier III Commitment Tournament if, at any time prior to the entry deadline, the Tier II Tournamentís Player Commitment Formula has been met.
d. Gold Exempt players listed 11-20:
i. May play down opposite a Tier I or Tier II Tournament in a Tier III or Tier IV Tournament.
ii. Except as permitted in Section 2.f below, may not play down in a Tier IV opposite a Tier III Tournament unless the Tier III Tournamentís Player Commitment Formula has been met as of the Play Down Deadline.
e. Except as permitted in Section 2.f below, Silver Exempt players listed 21-30 may not play down in a Tier IV Tournament opposite a Tier III Tournament unless the Tier III Tournamentís Player Commitment Formula has been met as of the Play Down Deadline.
f. Exempt Players listed 11-30 may play down in a Tier IV Tournament opposite a Tier III Tournament in the country of her nationality (as defined on page 45), if the Exempt Player is selected by the Tournament Director as a Wild Card.

kittyking
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Phew! Was worried that Dani would be in the top 10.

Also apparantly Jelena Jankovic and Richard Palmer are trying to negotiate with Wta a way for Jelena to be eligable to play in Auckland based on being the defending champion.

So Disrespectful
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Quite strange list.

AnDyDog621
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:40 AM
where is Lindsay??

Ben.
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Glad to see Sam still on the Silver Exempt list :)

lympyisthebest
Nov 16th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Is it a good thing for the players to be on the list or a bad thing since there are so many restrictions?

petkoan
Nov 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Hingis on the list even with drug scandal behind ( GOLD ) ...and ah also retired :D :D . Comeback ladyy !!

So Disrespectful
Nov 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM
And why is Mary placed below her SR? Does that mean Mirza is more popular than Pierce? I highly doubt that she is.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I thought Mirza would be in the top 10. She is one of very few players who can draw fans just to see her.
I thought Sharapova would be #1. But it seems almost totally based on rankings as of Sept. 10.

Ben.
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Mirza really only draws most of her fans from India...the tour would only really count her in the top 10 of the gold exempt list if she was in the top 10 wta rankings or maybe even had a big international fan base.

Matt01
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I thought Mirza would be in the top 10. She is one of very few players who can draw fans just to see her.

Is Mirza anyhow popular in Europe or North America? :confused:

DutchieGirl
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Szavay is still a rather unknown player who played qualifications most of the 2007, don't see a reason why she should be GE. Dulko is a surprising choice, although when you think twice maybe it's not cause she's pretty. But they could chose Kirilenko instead I guess, maybe Mirza. I doubt it will affect tournaments attendance any way.
Does this mean that Kuznetsova is a bigger drawcard for asian public than Williams?
Good that Miss H. is outside top 10. I don't like the restriction for the top 10 players even though they're probably necessary.

If by "most of 07" you mean up until the beginning of July, then yeah, you're right - but how can Agnes be still rather unknown now? W Palermo + Beijing, F New Haven, QF USO. If she's unknown then people really tuned off. She's won a tourney in Asia, a tourney in Europe plus made a final and QF of a GS in the US...that's a fairly big audience.

Lunaris
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
If by "most of 07" you mean up until the beginning of July, then yeah, you're right - but how can Agnes be still rather unknown now? W Palermo + Beijing, F New Haven, QF USO. If she's unknown then people really tuned off. She's won a tourney in Asia, a tourney in Europe plus made a final and QF of a GS in the US...that's a fairly big audience.
You know what I mean by rather unknown, rather like relatively. If sport journalists can still confuse some top 20 players who have been around for several seasons, then don't expect wider public to know Agnes Szavay who has been around for several months regardless of how impressive her results have been. Not everyone is a tennis fanatic who spends some of their time on-line to learn results from Palermo and Beijing or visits these tournaments in person. Besides many people in the crowds still have problems to recognize for example Kirilenko from Sharapova, so I think I have some entitlement to this opinion.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Dulko because she's Argentine

Mightymirza
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Mirza really only draws most of her fans from India...the tour would only really count her in the top 10 of the gold exempt list if she was in the top 10 wta rankings or maybe even had a big international fan base.

Well Indians are everywhere ;) (especially north america,UK and australia :shrug: )

Direwolf
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM
do players actually play these rules??

please make a new rule:

GE Players 1-10 may not play more than 22 Tournaments....
thats high enought

-sugi-
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ai as gold :woohoo:

Sally Struthers
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM
where is Lindsay??

Gold Exempt Emeritus: Lindsay Davenport

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Is it a good thing for the players to be on the list or a bad thing since there are so many restrictions?For most of them, it's a very good thing.
It's money and wild cards.

DutchieGirl
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
You know what I mean by rather unknown, rather like relatively. If sport journalists can still confuse some top 20 players who have been around for several seasons, then don't expect wider public to know Agnes Szavay who has been around for several months regardless of how impressive her results have been. Not everyone is a tennis fanatic who spends some of their time on-line to learn results from Palermo and Beijing or visits these tournaments in person. Besides many people in the crowds still have problems to recognize for example Kirilenko from Sharapova, so I think I have some entitlement to this opinion.

You don't have to be a tennis fanatic to see results on the evening news and stuff. I would assume when a tourney is on in their town (or maybe country) that there would be some mention on the news at least & people do go to these tourneys too (supposedly :p ) - so as I was saying before, it's still a fairly wide audience with her doing well on 3 different continents. No, I'm not saying she'll be as well known as Sharapova or the WS, but she should be known a bit at least by the general public. Plus alot of people in Europe have Eurosport, and can have seen her playing a few times (most likely from USO). It's not just about internet for learning about tennis. ;) Besides, I would think that Agnes is now more well known that Sugiyama or Dulko - what have they done lately to make people know their names? :p

And of course you have entitlement to your opinion - doesn't mean I have to agree though. :p

DutchieGirl
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
do players actually play these rules??

please make a new rule:

GE Players 1-10 may not play more than 22 Tournaments....
thats high enought

umm a. Why the heck do you think you can tell players how many tourneys they can play
b. Why would the WTA stop top players from playing more tourneys? Presumably people would actually PAY to go and watch them play
C. Have you actually looked at how many tourneys most of the top 10 have played this year? :p Only 3 of the top 10 (rankings) have played over 22 tourneys, while one has played 12, two have played 13 and one has played 14!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
thanks for the article ,

Lunaris
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM
You don't have to be a tennis fanatic to see results on the evening news and stuff. I would assume when a tourney is on in their town (or maybe country) that there would be some mention on the news at least & people do go to these tourneys too (supposedly :p ) - so as I was saying before, it's still a fairly wide audience with her doing well on 3 different continents. No, I'm not saying she'll be as well known as Sharapova or the WS, but she should be known a bit at least by the general public. Plus alot of people in Europe have Eurosport, and can have seen her playing a few times (most likely from USO). It's not just about internet for learning about tennis. ;) Besides, I would think that Agnes is now more well known that Sugiyama or Dulko - what have they done lately to make people know their names? :p

And of course you have entitlement to your opinion - doesn't mean I have to agree though. :p
I don't know how it is in Australia (I only heard the coverage of womens tennis sucks there :p ) but here everything you catch in news are results of czech players or results of the top players at bigger tournaments or Davis/Fed cup. Presumably people who follow or bet on tennis know or at least heard of Agnes Szavay and maybe she is famous in Hungary, though I am not sure how popular is tennis in there, but I would really question her overall popularity or recognition. Palermo is a small tournament and as such isn't something what would expose a player to wider public (ES doesn't have a coverage of this tourney), Beijing might be a different case but I suppose you don't have any exact numbers of CCTV5's ratings or tournament attendance, do you? ES showed this tournament but mainly in early morning hours when most people are at work. US Open is an interesting case but there was so many young players in the bottom half of the draw that I would suspect a casual tennis fan to lost themselves in all those Eastern European names. :p
I think we also should define what exactly means "general public" or "well known" as it would make our conversation easier and more accurate. ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I don't know how it is in Australia (I only heard the coverage of womens tennis sucks there :p ) but here everything you catch in news are results of czech players or results of the top players at bigger tournaments or Davis/Fed cup. Presumably people who follow or bet on tennis know or at least heard of Agnes Szavay and maybe she is famous in Hungary, though I am not sure how popular is tennis in there, but I would really question her overall popularity or recognition. Palermo is a small tournament and as such isn't something what would expose a player to wider public (ES doesn't have a coverage of this tourney), Beijing might be a different case but I suppose you don't have any exact numbers of CCTV5's ratings or tournament attendance, do you? ES showed this tournament but mainly in early morning hours when most people are at work. US Open is an interesting case but there was so many young players in the bottom half of the draw that I would suspect a casual tennis fan to lost themselves in all those Eastern European names. :p
I think we also should define what exactly means "general public" or "well known" as it would make our conversation easier and more accurate. ;)

Or we can just agree to disagree - coz I can't be bothered to write another long answer right now. :p (It's weekend- I'm in lazy mode). :p

orka_irl
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM
For most of them, it's a very good thing.
It's money and wild cards.

How much money do they get for being on the list? Do they get it regardless of results during the year?

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I think the top ones get over half a million. If players pull out of tournaments that they entered, they get fined from this money, which they get as an end of year bonus.

njnetswill
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Why is Russia Asia/Pacific? :unsure: I know that Russia has a Pacific coast and borders many Asian countries, but I always thought it athletics they are tied to Europe. :confused:

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Why is Russia Asia/Pacific? :unsure: I know that Russia has a Pacific coast and borders many Asian countries, but I always thought it athletics they are tied to Europe. :confused:

It has nothing to do with what country they are from, but the tourney directors from the area get to have some say into who they chose as a GE for the region (as far as I know anyway).

BTW, most of Russia is part of Asia. :p

njnetswill
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:23 AM
BTW, most of Russia is part of Asia. :p

Yes, like I said I understand Russia's connection to Asia geographically, but in athletics it is always grouped with Europe. ;)

I wonder why Asia/Pacific tournament directors like Sveta so much? :shrug:

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Yes, like I said I understand Russia's connection to Asia geographically, but in athletics it is always grouped with Europe. ;)

I wonder why Asia/Pacific tournament directors like Sveta so much? :shrug:

Yeah, but as I explained above, it's nothing to do with geography anyway. ;)

:shrug: Maybe coz she bothers to play a few tourneys in Asia. ;)

Brian Stewart
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Phew! Was worried that Dani would be in the top 10.

Also apparantly Jelena Jankovic and Richard Palmer are trying to negotiate with Wta a way for Jelena to be eligable to play in Auckland based on being the defending champion.

Wait, the tournament director is named "Dick Palmer"? *snicker*

I see they found a way to get more GE's and SE's into events, what with 22 players in the 20 GE slots (plus Lindsay) and 32 players in the 30 SE slots. They could make it even easier with 15 top 10 GE's, and 8 top 5's. :)

Or they could fulfill a lot of obligations with:
1. Jankovic
2. Bartoli

Lunaris
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Or we can just agree to disagree - coz I can't be bothered to write another long answer right now. :p (It's weekend- I'm in lazy mode). :p
That's probably the easiest way for both of us. :p
To tell the truth I don't like arguing with you because one must try really hard to defend their opinion (or at least to appear so). ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
That's probably the easiest way for both of us. :p
To tell the truth I don't like arguing with you because one must try really hard to defend their opinion (or at least to appear so). ;)

:yeah: Good choice. ;)

spiceboy
Dec 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM
December update

Due to Hingis retirement, Nicole Vaidisova has moved up into the Gold Exempt #11-13 Group and Alona Bondarenko has moved into the Gold Exempt #14-20 Group.

Affecting as well the Silver Exempt list, Agnieszka Radwanska has moved up into the Silver Exempt #21-30 Group and Roberta Vinci has been now named as a Silver Exempt #31-50 Group Player

Willam
Dec 30th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Is this for Olympics?? Sorry if it sounds stupid

Willam
Dec 30th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I just read what it was :p sorry..