PDA

View Full Version : Who is Going to Have the Best Post-Tennis Career Prospects?

CJ07
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
...besides Venus Williams.

Whether you're a fan or not, she clearly is going to be incredibly successful with her two businesses. Shes already a favorite of ABC, CBS and NBC and Oprah with her books, businesses and the like. Who else?

Honestly, I don't think Serena is going to be nearly as successful. Aneres clearly flopped. Her acting back in 2002 really wasn't that bad, but I can't really see her as more than a B- actress, which is great in of itself but I wonder if that'll be enough for her.

The next? Kournikova still pulls in more money than Justine does (or close) so she's obviously shown you can do well after you retire, so Sharapova should do well too.

But I wonder if any of the other girls will go back to school? Start a business? Open an academy?

Tennace
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Nicole and Daniela are both smart so I think they will be successful after tennis. Maria too probably.

cartmancop
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Venus will be tops, she's got several ventures lined up where she can be successful and she has star power & name recognition with the general public.

I would like to see Rubin commentating... she did a good job one year just for fun at Wimbledon.

I think Justine will stay out of the spotlight, but perhaps an autobiography, she's got an interesting life story with her family issues, a couple controversies, etc.

Hingis should coach.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Most of them are going to have families. Who cares about the attention whores?
They'll all be nowhere when they don't have tennis to promote them.

frontier
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I think a lot of them will disappear into the sunset specially if they didnt win big events.Most of them will become wives and mothers,some will become commentators or start an academy.or a sex tape will show up or they will be caught snorting something.I think some of them will show up at a big event with an orange tan and brassy hair, most of them cant transcend sport except for Serena Venus and to a lesser extend pova.

Ninny
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Hasn't Justine bought a couple of tennis academies?

cartmancop
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM

If that's true, that would be excellent for a lot of young players for her to be involved in their development...

Volcana
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Who cares about the attention whores?
Is that your definition of any woman who decides to have a career outsiablede of tennis. You sure win the 'Stupid Comment of the Month' award.

Now, in response to what was, after all, a reasonable question from the thread starter ....

That's a really tough question to answer. First, you'd have to know the player's ambitions. It's easy with Venus and Serena, since they do things besides playing tennis. But what do we know about most player's ambitions? How many of them want to be lawyers, or geologists, or teachers?

And for the one's who's ambition are to be great Moms, we aren't going to know til their kids grow up is they were successful.

I'd call 'successful' being known for something bigger than their tennis career. For example, former President of the USA Gerald Ford was a two time All-American football player. (Actually, it was called All-American back then, but it was national recognition.) He went on to a life that made his sports success seem trivial. Ditto Suprem Court Justice Byron 'Whizzer' White. Of course, sexism being what it is, it's been tougher for women to make a mark post athletics.

But Donna De Varona, for example, helped found, and was the first president of, the Women's Sports Foundation, and helped Title IX get passed, which opened up sports to millions of American girls. I'd call that being 'successful', post her swimming career. As for tennis players, outside of BJK, can't speak much for the USA players. You'd have to ask somebody else about SOuth American or European or Asian players.

Ninny
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Is that your definition of any woman who decides to have a career outsiablede of tennis. You sure win the 'Stupid Comment of the Month' award.

Now, in response to what was, after all, a reasonable question from the thread starter ....

That's a really tough question to answer. First, you'd have to know the player's ambitions. It's easy with Venus and Serena, since they do things besides playing tennis. But what do we know about most player's ambitions? How many of them want to be lawyers, or geologists, or teachers?

And for the one's who's ambition are to be great Moms, we aren't going to know til their kids grow up is they were successful.

I'd call 'successful' being known for something bigger than their tennis career. For example, former President of the USA Gerald Ford was a two time All-American football player. (Actually, it was called All-American back then, but it was national recognition.) He went on to a life that made his sports success seem trivial. Ditto Suprem Court Justice Byron 'Whizzer' White. Of course, sexism being what it is, it's been tougher for women to make a mark post athletics.

But Donna De Varona, for example, helped found, and was the first president of, the Women's Sports Foundation, and helped Title IX get passed, which opened up sports to millions of American girls. I'd call that being 'successful', post her swimming career. As for tennis players, outside of BJK, can't speak much for the USA players. You'd have to ask somebody else about SOuth American or European or Asian players.

Thanks, that was very interesting :)

plantman
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Her and Carlos have started one.....

6th Sense Tennis Academy

Justine HENIN and Carlos RODRIGUEZ have decided to extend their collaboration beyond their respective careers as a professional tennis champion and as a coach. They now wish to share the success factors of their track record learned over time through their successful association. Their desire is now to pass on their concepts and approach of high quality sports education.

In order to meet this goal, they will be assisted by a team of highly motivated trainers who share their quality standards, their vision and their core values.

The philosophy of the 6th Sense Academy is based on the motto that performance can only be achieved if it is not pursued as a goal in itself. The results of any activity are essentially dependent on a mindset.

This mindset is based on bringing out the best out of any player in any circumstances, whether practicing or during a competition. This way of living will naturally diffuse to all daily activities well beyond the tennis courts.

In order to reach the best of his own resources, each individual must spend his energy on what he masters most. Results, however, remain unpredictable. The only manageable parameter of performance is the aptitude to deliver his best effort on the D-Day.

The entire staff of the Academy adheres to this vision and will focus their efforts on bringing the players to their best aptitude physically, technically and mentally.

The mission statement of the Academy is to guide and support each player depending on their age, their level and most importantly their own projects.

Ninny
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Her and Carlos have started one.....

6th Sense Tennis Academy

Justine HENIN and Carlos RODRIGUEZ have decided to extend their collaboration beyond their respective careers as a professional tennis champion and as a coach. They now wish to share the success factors of their track record learned over time through their successful association. Their desire is now to pass on their concepts and approach of high quality sports education.

In order to meet this goal, they will be assisted by a team of highly motivated trainers who share their quality standards, their vision and their core values.

The philosophy of the 6th Sense Academy is based on the motto that performance can only be achieved if it is not pursued as a goal in itself. The results of any activity are essentially dependent on a mindset.

This mindset is based on bringing out the best out of any player in any circumstances, whether practicing or during a competition. This way of living will naturally diffuse to all daily activities well beyond the tennis courts.

In order to reach the best of his own resources, each individual must spend his energy on what he masters most. Results, however, remain unpredictable. The only manageable parameter of performance is the aptitude to deliver his best effort on the D-Day.

The entire staff of the Academy adheres to this vision and will focus their efforts on bringing the players to their best aptitude physically, technically and mentally.

The mission statement of the Academy is to guide and support each player depending on their age, their level and most importantly their own projects.

Thanks ..... I knew I read it somewhere, but I think on a website somewhere :yeah:

Lunaris
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Most of them are going to have families. Who cares about the attention whores?
They'll all be nowhere when they don't have tennis to promote them.
So Kournikova is an attention whore, isn't she? ;) :p

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:01 AM
The players I can see having prospects are the Williams, Justine, Maria and... that's it... for the moment.

Williams can venture deeper into the fashion line and entertainment industry, as they have the star power in them. Justine has her own academy now, and can be a coach for the aspiring kids who wants to be come tennis stars. Maria can do modelling, photoshoots and even become ambassador for tennis with her glamour and popularity.

I'll have to wait for a while to judge the others.

iWill
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:36 AM
...besides Venus Williams.

Whether you're a fan or not, she clearly is going to be incredibly successful with her two businesses. Shes already a favorite of ABC, CBS and NBC and Oprah with her books, businesses and the like. Who else?

Honestly, I don't think Serena is going to be nearly as successful. Aneres clearly flopped. Her acting back in 2002 really wasn't that bad, but I can't really see her as more than a B- actress, which is great in of itself but I wonder if that'll be enough for her.

The next? Kournikova still pulls in more money than Justine does (or close) so she's obviously shown you can do well after you retire, so Sharapova should do well too.

But I wonder if any of the other girls will go back to school? Start a business? Open an academy?

I don't think if flopped I think Serena is taking a break from that so she can do more with tennis and she usually designs all her outfits for NIKE anyway. More than likely we'll see Venus for sure and Serena but i don't think much of what Serena does will apply to tennis.. unless its designing tennis outfits

Sharapova will for sure have something afterwards. With her looks alone she'll get endorsements all the time.

Justine sort of reminds me of ASV. She'll prolly be vey involved with coaching and developing new players most likely for Belgium but she won't be in the spotlight alot, you can tell she really doest care about it.

fioredeliberi
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Justine should run as a politician in the EU or Belgium.
This type of person, after her sports career, will still want some kind of challenge, like Schwarzenegger after acting. She has the intellect to get votes and play the politician role, and loves a fight. When she finishes her tennis career, like Steffi and Sampras and Agassi, she will make a clean break, have no regrets and no real desire to come back.

Hingis should remain involved in tennis and bring up the next champion. She leaves the sport on a sour note, and probably feel unfulfilled. By remaining involved, she will still get something from the sport she loves, but cannot live with.

Venus seems very calm and will not have any problems, she'll do her biz and work as commentator occasionally. Serena will have a messy personal life, do drugs, get into trouble with the law and make the news more often.

spiritedenergy
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Jankovic, she'll be starring in countless horror b-movies:p

sfselesfan
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Lindsay will be the best commentator ever.

SF

switz
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I think Chanda will develop into one of the leading tennis commentators in the future if she chooses to go down that path. she's shown so much more potential in her couple of her goes so far than any of the current crop. yes i'm extremely biased and but it's true. she may have more ambitious endeavours though.

frontier
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Justine should run as a politician in the EU or Belgium.
This type of person, after her sports career, will still want some kind of challenge, like Schwarzenegger after acting. She has the intellect to get votes and play the politician role, and loves a fight. When she finishes her tennis career, like Steffi and Sampras and Agassi, she will make a clean break, have no regrets and no real desire to come back.

Hingis should remain involved in tennis and bring up the next champion. She leaves the sport on a sour note, and probably feel unfulfilled. By remaining involved, she will still get something from the sport she loves, but cannot live with.

Venus seems very calm and will not have any problems, she'll do her biz and work as commentator occasionally. Serena will have a messy personal life, do drugs, get into trouble with the law and make the news more often.
Hingis is a dope fiend who knows maybe she has a serious problem with coke.Serena has limitless possibilities in the media.She might remain in the limelight because she is marketable and transcends sports .Serena loves football and can work as a commentator for football,become an agent for football not tennis,she knows people in high places from Oprah to Condoleeza Rice and many high profile people.:wavey:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
venus serena maria jh(in terms of her academy)

miffedmax
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Nastya's already covering tennis and hosting a soccer show, and she's not even officially retired yet.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Jankovic

shell
Nov 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I agree with some of the postings here. I think Justine has the opportunity to do wonderful things. She will invest, and probably be rather involved with her tennis schools. She also has shown a capacity for children's charity work and may continue in that vein. But it will all be behind the scenes I would think. She will be tired of all the hoopla of the tour and the publicity.

Venus and Serena have the same capability, but will depend on their asperations.

I would challenge them all to put their money where there hearts go...they have all made a killing, and will have plenty to go around. Time to make a difference in the sport they worked so hard at and that was so generous to them. Or into something of their choice that makes a difference in peoples lives.

Should be interesting...