PDA

View Full Version : You really have to feel for Cara Black in finding a doubles partner for the Olympics

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM
For the past 5 years or so she has been one of the top 5 ( currently co #1 ) doubles players in the world. She deserves to play in the doubles draw more than anyone else on tour. Zimbabwe has no other ranked wta players :(

John.
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Poor Cara :hug:

beecharmer
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Not really. Given the South African supported Government that Zimbabwe is, I bet she is thrilled she isn't dying in the street. Her family had to flee their farm several years ago and I bet the Williams never had to cope with that. Cara is a fighter.

justine schnyder
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Cara :hug: :sad:

Tripp
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I read an article once that said she had been training with the country's top two players, who play College Tennis in the USA.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Not really. Given the South African supported Government that Zimbabwe is, I bet she is thrilled she isn't dying in the street. Her family had to flee their farm several years ago and I bet the Williams never had to cope with that. Cara is a fighter.

Yes, mosty of this know about this and its awfull what Cara had to go through. Still, she is a competitive athlete who is #1 in her chosen sport. I hope there is some way that Cara can play in the Olympics. I am sure she has many friends and family from her country that are very proud of what she has accomplished and would love her to represent their country at the Olympics Games. :)

Ballbasher
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I really hope Cara makes it somehow she so much deserves it! Huber was clever to change.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
she just needs to marry a yank and change her nationality-then she can play with huber and win gold for the US, easy :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
she just needs to marry a yank and change her nationality-then she can play with huber and win gold for the US, easy :)

Good idea, one problem though... CARA IS ALREADY MARRIED! :lol: :lol: :p

iPatty
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
If the Olympics were really that high on her "to-do" list, I'm sure she would have change nationalities.

Henpova
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM
She can always ask the US government to make her a citizen. They do it for players all the time in other sport, so we can win. I think they did it for last years winter Olympics, there was a Canadian girl and American boy ice dancing team, and they made her a American so they could compete together. They could do the same thing here, if she liked. I don't thinks she would want to though.

Europe rocks
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Britain will take you Cara! :hearts: We love you!
Really feel sorry for her, she would have won at least one Olympic gold by now if she was from the same nation as Liezel, but that is just how it goes sometimes. I hope she does win a medal somehow, she deserves one

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Britain will take you Cara! :hearts: We love you!
Really feel sorry for her, she would have won at least one Olympic gold by now if she was from the same nation as Liezel, but that is just how it goes sometimes. I hope she does win a medal somehow, she deserves one

Not really somone of her level to partner her from Britian

* Claire Curran ?
* Katie O'Brien ?

spiceboy
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
LOL I saw a doubles match in Barcelona 1992 Olympics where the South African pair (De Swardt/Reinach) trashed a pretty useless Zimbawean team :devil:

faboozadoo15
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Oh Jesus, it's bad enough we have that horrible Liezel Huber woman changing to an American, we don't really need her pesky little partner over here too.

Plus, we have the Williams sisters, Davenport, Lisa Raymond who are all better than this sideshow who wins events that the singles girls don't bother to play.

mckyle.
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I wonder how Huber is going to play the Olympics for the USA when:

A) she hasn't played Fed Cup
B) the Williams', Davenport, and Raymond are all ahead of her on priority.

stefi62
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Yes, poor Cara! :kiss:

But her choice of not switching nationality is really politic, in my opinion. The Blacks, in Zimbabwe, are so popular, and in a country that is suffering so much, if Cara left, that'd be probably be seen as something painful to the population.
She is married to an Aussie and her mother is from South Africa, so she could switch. People even talked about it, as her partner is born South African.... and she could team with a good Aussie doubles player as well. But well, she chose to remain Zimbabwean :angel: : http://english.people.com.cn/200705/02/eng20070502_371459.html

Unfortunately, despite what she thought, these two youth (the Faidzai's) are not good enough yet to play doubles, and Cara will not be able to play doubles. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90779/6230598.html

But she may get a wild card to play singles for her beloved country, Zim. :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, poor Cara! :kiss:

But her choice of not switching nationality is really politic, in my opinion. The Blacks, in Zimbabwe, are so popular, and in a country that is suffering so much, if Cara left, that'd be probably be seen as something painful to the population.
She is married to an Aussie and her mother is from South Africa, so she could switch. People even talked about it, as her partner is born South African.... and she could team with a good Aussie doubles player as well. But well, she chose to remain Zimbabwean :angel: : http://english.people.com.cn/200705/02/eng20070502_371459.html

Unfortunately, despite what she thought, these two youth (the Faidzai's) are not good enough yet to play doubles, and Cara will not be able to play doubles. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90779/6230598.html

But she may get a wild card to play singles for her beloved country, Zim. :worship:

Thank you for posting the above intelligent and informative post. Its nice to read that Cara will atleast be able to play singles for her country .:bounce:

:wavey:

njnetswill
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Zimbabwe is scary :scared:

patricktav2003
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Cara have to stay Zim but Huber should have stay too to play for olympics for AFS with grandin, de beer or Grant!! for US it will be hard, a

cheo23
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I must say that Huber is SUCH A bitch!!!!!!!!! She does NOT even have a CHANCE to play for the USA team because LiNdsay/Lisa and Venus/SErena will pair up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

switz
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Oh Jesus, it's bad enough we have that horrible Liezel Huber woman changing to an American, we don't really need her pesky little partner over here too.

Plus, we have the Williams sisters, Davenport, Lisa Raymond who are all better than this sideshow who wins events that the singles girls don't bother to play.

nice post :o was there even a suggestion that Black is considering switching nationalities either?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I must say that Huber is SUCH A bitch!!!!!!!!! She does NOT even have a CHANCE to play for the USA team because LiNdsay/Lisa and Venus/SErena will pair up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is Huber a bitch? She's lived in the US since she was 15 years old, more than half of her life. She has a permanent residence in Texas and is opening up a tennis academy there...the woman is more than entitled to American citizenship.

As far as the doubles situation goes, Huber and Raymond would be the favorites to win the gold medal and would almost definitely at least pick up something in Beijing. It would be nice to have Venus and Serena play doubles, but in all honesty, I need to see them COMPLETE a few doubles tournaments next year, never mind win them. They're obviously more than capable of winning gold, but the one thing I do not want to see is one of them getting injured and pulling out of the doubles in Beijing, something which is certainly a possibility with them.

As far as Cara goes, she's not in a great situation either way, but at least she can take some comfort in playing the Olympics either way. Even with her doubles skills, the girl she'll play with wouldn't even be capable of winning a round at a 10K. She'll win a round at best at the singles and she might be able to drag her partner through a round in the doubles.

faboozadoo15
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM
nice post :o was there even a suggestion that Black is considering switching nationalities either?

No, thank God.

Tripp
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
No, thank God.

You know, the whole bashing a player for changing nationalities sounds really hypocrite coming from a Seles fan. :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Cara should get her sis in law..Wayne's wife (Irina Selyutina)

stefi62
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Cara and Liezel handled the situation differently:

_Liezel, who had had problems with her federation for years and who's been living in the US for over 15 years and married an American, understandably chose to switch.

_Cara, whose family is the most popular sports family in her country, all three children being at some point sportsperson of the year in Zim, her brothers making a miracle by winning one round in Davis Cup a few years back against Australia and almost causing an upset against USA(with Cara's husband Moose Stephens as Zim team captain)... simply chose to stay a Zimbabwean, forgetting her personal ambition.

2 people, 2 different lives, 2 different situations, 2 choices! That's all. Now, whatever happens happens for either girl... they're old enough to assume their choices, no matter how sad it may be for the game and the sport.

Direwolf
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Change her nationality to mmm
to someone as good as she is in doubles

Tennisace
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Cara should get her sis in law..Wayne's wife (Irina Selyutina)

I love the idea of Black/Selyutina teaming up again :D

Purple Rainbow
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Zimbabwe is scary :scared:

No, it's not. Mugabe is though.

Dave.
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I seriously doubt Huber will play. Lindsay and Lisa or the Williams sisters are both former top teams who have both been playing top level tennis together for years. Either of them would do. Huber hasen't played with Lisa before so it would be pointless putting them together.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I seriously doubt Huber will play. Lindsay and Lisa or the Williams sisters are both former top teams who have both been playing top level tennis together for years. Either of them would do. Huber hasen't played with Lisa before so it would be pointless putting them together.

Very true, but it will still be difficult to keep the co #1 Doubles Player in the world out of the Olympics. I hope she plays. :)

JonBcn
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM
It's a pity they don't play mixed doubles at the Olympics...would give a few more players like Black a chance at a medal.

faboozadoo15
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:16 AM
You know, the whole bashing a player for changing nationalities sounds really hypocrite coming from a Seles fan. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing players for switching nationalities. I'm bashing players who I don't like for playing under our flag. Switching to US nationality is one of the smartest things any tennis player could ever do.

Slumpsova
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
she should move to USA like Like Huber.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
It's a pity they don't play mixed doubles at the Olympics...would give a few more players like Black a chance at a medal.

Yeah, she could play with one of her brothers or Kevin Ullyett :D

spiceboy
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Good point, Jon. And more players would be able to enjoy the Olympic experience :)

stefi62
Dec 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
A new article on Cara and her will to represent Zim in Beijing:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200712100225.html

Leo_DFP
Dec 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
She can always ask the US government to make her a citizen. They do it for players all the time in other sport, so we can win. I think they did it for last years winter Olympics, there was a Canadian girl and American boy ice dancing team, and they made her a American so they could compete together. They could do the same thing here, if she liked. I don't thinks she would want to though.

Belbin/Agosto. They won silver.

I think Cara wants to play for her real country though.

janko
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I really like the idea of Irina Selyutina coming back, she made such a great team with Cara in juniors that I never understood why they stopped playing together...

MEC4_ever
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Who will Liezel play with? You know, now that she's American :rolleyes:

JackFrost
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I really hope Cara makes it somehow she so much deserves it! Huber was clever to change.
I donīt think a change of nationality and play the olympics for the USA would be the same like winning a medal for her home country. Remember...winning a Medal for the US is nothing special. There are several US players who done it before her. But winning a Tennis-Medal for Zimbabwe would be something very, very special.

Highlandman
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hopefully she will find a partner, she would deserve it. :sad:

Mixed at olympics? Great idea. :)

JackFrost
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm not bashing players for switching nationalities. I'm bashing players who I don't like for playing under our flag. Switching to US nationality is one of the smartest things any tennis player could ever do.
I know, that adopting players from other countries has a kind of tradition in the USA.
I donīt like it. The USA has so many good players. They donīt need to "steal" them away from smaller countries who have maybe only one or two players in the whole ranking list.