PDA

View Full Version : Aspiriations for Lindsay in 2008

John.
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM
What would you like to see Lindsay realistically achieve in 2008?

I would obviously love to see her winning a major, but I can't see it happening.

I will be delighted if she gets back into the Top 10, wins at least 5 titles, and reaches the 2nd week of the slams she enters.

The Daviator
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM

I would obviously love to see her winning a major, but I can't see it happening.

I will be delighted if she gets back into the Top 10, wins at least 5 titles, and reaches the 2nd week of the slams she enters.

I'd settle for that too :yeah: I would love to see her win one of the 5 majors in '08 (Slams + OG), but she couldn't do it when she was in awesome form and ranked #1, so we can't expect that now that she's ranked in the 70s and older, but you never know, I keep thinking she'll win one since it was so unfair she didn't get one in 2004/2005 :sobbing:

But as long as she plays well and gets some wins over the big names, I'll be pleased :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Yeah, i also hope that she plays in a few doubles tounreys. Hopefully the Us Open, Wimbledon and the Aussie Open :cool:

LindsayRulz
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I'd settle for that too :yeah: I would love to see her win one of the 5 majors in '08 (Slams + OG), but she couldn't do it when she was in awesome form and ranked #1, so we can't expect that now that she's in the 70s and older, but you never know, I keep thinking she'll win one since it was so unfair she didn't get one in 2004/2005 :sobbing:

But as long as she plays well and gets some wins over the big names, I'll be pleased :D

She's not that old yet The Dav ;) :p

A good run in IW, Wimbledon, Olympics and the US Open would be awesome :)

The Daviator
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM

I knew it would come off like that :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM

:haha:

hurricanejeanne
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM
In a dream world, I'd love for her to win a grand slam and the Olympic gold medal.

In reality, I'd like to see her make the second weeks of the majors, in her traditional consistancy. Win a few titles, beat a few of the top players, and prehaps medal at the Games.

Tennisation
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I wanna see her win Wimby

Michael!
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I don´t think that she´s able to win a GS. ( 7 wins in a row against top players, that´s likely too much for her...):shrug:
But she can show the world that she still can beat any player from the top ten
and win some tournaments like Memphis, LA or Amelia Island. :D

And who knows what happens in Beijing!? :devil:

mr_burns
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Just again....If U look at some of this year slam semi and finalists, Lindsay can do this as well...Still won't be ablt to beat justine

Hofe for one slam final and a olympic medal

and one more win over sharapova;-)

Vlad Tepes
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I don't see Lindsay defeating Justine, unless the Belgian has a really off day and Lindsay is awesome. I think Lindsay will return to the top 10, win a few tournaments and get to the second week of two slams (Wimby and the USO). RG is not her thing and way too many players can beat her there and the AO is more or less a matter of luck, since she'll be unseeded and it depends on the draw. Sure, she can beat over 120 of the players in the draw, but she could face Justine or a red hot top 10 player in the first round too :shrug:

LoveFifteen
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
My ultimate Wimbledon dream for Lindsay would be watching her brush aside Mauresmo in the round of 16, pimp-smack Henin in the QF, fight back from a set and break down against Serena in the SF, and vanquish Queen Vee in the final 10-8 in the third.

A girl can dream, can't she? :angel:

Tenisfin
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The one thing which remains to be seen regarding Lindsay is what she can achieve with a rested body. Her comment during her fall tournaments about this being the first time in years that she wasn't nursing some lower body injury is significant. If she trains full-time and plays a limited schedule, I fully expect her to go deep into the 2008 slams (maybe not RG which I hope she doesn't play). She doesn't appear to need constant tournament play to keep her timing intact and she plays with trememdous confidence when she's rested.

LudwigDvorak
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I really, really want Lindsay to win the Olympics next year, or at least lose to Dementieva in the final if she's gonna lose to anyone at that tournament.

I think it's realistic enough to think she can win there, considering it's the catalyst for why she's returning anyway.

Aside from that, I expect her to win pretty much any sub-TII event she plays, which she seems she'll play enough of, and I want a semifinal or two at the slams. A win at Wimbledon or the US Open would just be...

OKAY ENOUGH DAYDREAMING, I'd like to see her back in the top 10 as well, which is feasible. But only if she plays enough higher optional events, playing Auckland and Memphis isn't gonna get you nowhere. :angel:

cartmancop
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I'd like for her to achieve a silver or bronze medal in the Olympics ( Vee wins gold :D ) & be a 2nd week factor in the majors...

égalité
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Roland Garros title. :tape:

dybbuk
Nov 16th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Top 10, a few good runs and/or titles at TII/I events, and most importantly for her to peak for Wimby/Olympics/USO. I would easily settle for a medal and semis at Wimby and the Open. :D

My dream has always been for her to complete the career Slam though. :o

switz
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Do people actually expect Davenport to play such a big schedule? let's remember she has a baby and a husband who can't travel much. I expect Davenport to win a couple a biggish tournaments and go deep in a couple of slams. But she'll skip the entire clay season i imagine and probably won't play much indoors. I'd think she'll play Auckland, Sydney, Aus Open, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, maybe a green clay, Wimbledon, most of the US Open Series, Olympics, maybe a couple of Asian tournaments later in the year.

Dementieva_Dude
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I just hope Lindsay can make the tour a little more exciting at the big events. I hope she's able to cause a few upsets, and to 'mix it up' a little. God knows she has the talent to at least make things interesting.

spiritedenergy
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM
I think one of the best achievements Lindsay can have is to beat Sharapova 6-0 6-0 at 2 or 3 slams. We know she can do it:devil:

tennisfan5
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I think Lindsay is going to do really well in '08.

Let's look at her record vs. the top 10:

1. Henin-- JH leads 7-5, winning the last 7. Still, it's not like every match was a blowout. Lindsay would make her work.

2. Kuznetsova-- LD leads 3-2

3. Jankovic-- LD leads 4-1, including one this year.

4. Ivanovic- never played

5. sharapova- MS leads 4-1, the lindsay win being the 0 and 0 and the 4 losses being 3 setters.

6. Chakvetadze- LD leads 2-0

7. Serena- SW leads 10-4, with davenport winning 2 of the last 3. Last match that '05 AO final.

8. Venus- LD leads 14-13

9. Hantuchova- LD leads 7-0

10. Bartoli- LD leads 2-1

and as for the top 20, Lindsay has a winning head to head against everyone (except those she hasn't played--Golovin, Peer, and Szavay).

I see no reason why Lindsay can't be in the top 10 and competing for slams.

AnDyDog621
Nov 16th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Haha...win RG!! thats what i want!!

Leo_DFP
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I think if Lindsay is in good enough shape, it's up there with everyone except Justine. She never could turn the tables on Justine. Henin loves the balls she gets from Davenport and spits the pace back with even bigger pace.

Ben.
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM
i like to see lindsay reaching the top 10, winning a few big titles & her reaching the 2nd week at some of the slams.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Having a year a la Justine 2007.(winning many titles and reached at least semis in all events).:p :angel:

Lindsayfan32
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I've already got what I wanted out of Lindsay's comeback just the fact she playing again. I would like to see her get on the US olympic team and if she does win another gold medal no tennis player has won two gold medals and if Lindsay could do it. It would be a cool piece of tennis history. Apart from that I would like to enjoy watching her play again and hopefully she will have some good results against top players along way and to see Lindsay happy on and off the court and when she finally does retire for good she can say she's walking away with no regrets.

TLP
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Do people actually expect Davenport to play such a big schedule? let's remember she has a baby and a husband who can't travel much. I expect Davenport to win a couple a biggish tournaments and go deep in a couple of slams. But she'll skip the entire clay season i imagine and probably won't play much indoors. I'd think she'll play Auckland, Sydney, Aus Open, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, maybe a green clay, Wimbledon, most of the US Open Series, Olympics, maybe a couple of Asian tournaments later in the year.

Damn, that looks like a fairly full schedule to me. Lindsay looks and sounds very relaxed and happy with the travel and the nanny helping her with Jagger. I think with her work ethic and natural talent she'll win her share of tournaments. She has to be encouraged with her two wins at the end of the season and her beat down of a top ten player. Dani was playing well at the end of the season and Lindsay was simply better.

thrust
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
One or two tier 2 along with a few tier 3 wins would be very good for her, and realistically possible. If she doesn^t take her tennis too seriously she could be very successful. She has nothing to prove, so should just let it rip and see what happens. There really is no pressure on her to win, which makes her chore that much easier. She seems to have it all: Husband, child, money and a loving family. Tennis is just the icing on the cake at this point in her life. She should just enjoy it.

Matt01
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
But she'll skip the entire clay season i imagine and probably won't play much indoors. I'd think she'll play Auckland, Sydney, Aus Open, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, maybe a green clay, Wimbledon, most of the US Open Series, Olympics, maybe a couple of Asian tournaments later in the year.

Lindsay can't play Dubai since she will be playing in Memphis in the same week. I also doubt that she will play Sydney which is between Auckland and Melbourne. That would mean 3-4 weeks for her in a row.

And I hope that she will play RG, she could get some easy points there.

cypher_88
Nov 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
win a few Tier 1+2 titles (IW, Amelia Island, maybe a red clay event, a US Open Series event, and an Asian tournament) and make QF and SF at GS. with that i would be happy :D

Juju4ever
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I would like to see her enjoying tennis again. I believe she came back to enjoy the game she loves so much, not because she's desperate to win more slams or so. If she can win big titels, it's a bonus.

LDF
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Hopefully Lindsay will win a couple of higher tier tournaments, go deep in at least 2 Slams and do well at the Olympics. I think that's quite realistic.

I'm just ecstatic that she'll be playing next season and I can't wait to see her competing in the biggest events again. :)

tennisfan5
Nov 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Also, lindsay swinging freely with a "nothing to lose" mentality is trouble for the rest of the tour:eek:

LindsayfanTV
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I agree. Lindsay has looked relaxed and dangerous on her return ~ she seems really happy and not putting too much pressure on herself. Can she win a medal or a GS ~ I don't know but just see her back on court hitting those clean winners will be pleasure enough

Lindsayfan32
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I agree. Lindsay has looked relaxed and dangerous on her return ~ she seems really happy and not putting too much pressure on herself. Can she win a medal or a GS ~ I don't know but just see her back on court hitting those clean winners will be pleasure enough

I totally agree with you LindsayfanTV just the fact Lindsay's back is great for tennis and if she's injury free and swing freely next year the rest of the tour better be on their guard as it a dangerous combination.

Dave.
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Obviously now given that she's just come back she won't have a very good chance at beating Justine, but given time and consistent form she may well be someone to challenge her at Wimbledon, Olympics and the US Open (later on in the year).

I hope she wins a Slam and the Olympics. On a more realistic level, a decent year would be get into the top 15/top 10, 4R/QF (at least) of every slam she plays, 4-5 titles (some higher tier) and generally have a consistent year where she maintains her great records over most players.

and also to play Ivanovic! I can't believe they haven't played each other yet..as two of my faves I would love that match, just think of the ball striking;)

plantman
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM
My ultimate Wimbledon dream for Lindsay would be watching her brush aside Mauresmo in the round of 16, pimp-smack Henin in the QF, fight back from a set and break down against Serena in the SF, and vanquish Queen Vee in the final 10-8 in the third.

A girl can dream, can't she? :angel:

That could be considered a NIGHTMARE!!!!:)

Nov 17th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I just hope Lindsay enjoys herself!!!

Ingokoer
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I hope she plays on tournaments where the surface suits her most (very fast courts), so I hope she will play some indoor events, because indoor suits her game most.
She is really an indoor queen for me, in ZURICH she has a great record, never lost before the final there. So I would love to see her play ZURICH at least. She should also play her home tournaments Stanford and LA, she loves to play there, she doesn't have long journeys from home, they are Tier II events, but not having such a strong field like other Tier II (Stuttgart, Dubai, Sydney).

She really can skip the clay season (green and red clay) and play where she is most succesful: US Hardcourts and fast indoors + Wimbledon.