PDA

View Full Version : Russia will be able to take 6 players in the olympics

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Countries can field up to six players in women's tennis event at Beijing Olympics
LONDON (AP) - Countries will be able to field six players in the women's tennis tournament at next year's Beijing Olympics, an increase of two from the 2004 Athens Games.

The International Tennis Federation and the WTA Tour announced the change Thursday after completing negotiations to again award ranking points for the competition.

The WTA rankings will be used to determine the top 56 direct acceptances in the 64-player singles draw for women. Nations can be eligible for up to four entries in singles.

They will now be able to nominate a separate doubles team if one of the pair is ranked in the top 10 in doubles rankings.

"This decision means that more of the top women players will be eligible to compete in Beijing and that is good news for everyone," ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti said.

Six of the remaining eight singles places will be selected by the ITF's Olympic Committee, taking into consideration a player's singles computer ranking and a geographic distribution of nations entered.

The remaining two places will be chosen by a committee featuring representatives from the International Olympic Committee and the ITF.

"The agreement announced today is intended to ensure that all direct acceptance players are selected based on merit, which is a principle of the utmost importance and one that is consistent with the spirit of the Olympic Games," WTA Tour chief executive officer Larry Scott said.

The WTA first awarded ranking points for the Olympic tennis event in 2004.

Ricci Bitti said the ITF was still in negotiation with the men's tour. The ATP awarded ranking points for the 2000 and 2004 Olympic tennis events.

The Olympic tennis event will be played from Aug. 10-17 in 2008.

IceHock
Nov 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM
what is the olympics treated like? a tier 1,2....

LindsayRulz
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM
It's not only Russia who will ba able to field 6 players... :rolleyes:

Doc
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Good news. It would be a pity to have top players not allowed to play

sfselesfan
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Good news for Lindsay!

SF

M2k
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Lindsay :hearts::hearts::hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I wonder how the Lisa Raymond and Liezel Huber doubles situation will be handled. Liezel will most likely be the the highest ranked doubles player in the US at the time of Entry. Can players play BOTH singles and doubles if they qualify, like the Williams,Tu, Meghann and maybe Lindsay ??. So a country can nominate TWO doubles teams ?

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I know it's not only for Russia , but only Russia has many top players ,,,

Meelis
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Can players play BOTH singles and doubles if they qualify, like the Williams,Tu, Meghann and maybe Lindsay ??. So a country can nominate TWO doubles teams ?

Any player qualified for the singles event is eligible to compete in the doubles event. 10 highest ranked doubles players can play doubles event only.

Each NOC can enter maximum 4 athletes in singles and 2 pairs in doubles.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Any player qualified for the singles event is eligible to compete in the doubles event. 10 highest ranked doubles players can play doubles event only.

Each NOC can enter maximum 4 athletes in singles and 2 pairs in doubles.

Thanks for clarifying! :D

SvetaPleaseWin.
Nov 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
this only affects the dubs-they can still only have 4 singles players
so theres still gonna be pissed off russians ranked in the top 20 and not playing

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I'm confused now ,,,

Dan23
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm confused now ,,,
The 6 players a team is allowed is made up of a maximum of 4 for singles and 2 additional players for doubles rather than having to play 2 of the other 4 in Doubles. This is provided that one of the additional Doubles pair is ranked in the top 10 in Doubles.

So Russia (and all the others) will still only be allowed 4 Singles players. Which right now would be Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Chakvetadze and Dementieva. Russia dont have a member of the top 10 in Doubles so I assume their Doubles team would have to be made up of 2 of those 4.

DimaDinosaur
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Is Hantuchova eligible to play doubles?

@Sweet Cleopatra
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM
The 6 players a team is allowed is made up of a maximum of 4 for singles and 2 additional players for doubles rather than having to play 2 of the other 4 in Doubles. This is provided that one of the additional Doubles pair is ranked in the top 10 in Doubles.

So Russia (and all the others) will still only be allowed 4 Singles players. Which right now would be Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Chakvetadze and Dementieva. Russia dont have a member of the top 10 in Doubles so I assume their Doubles team would have to be made up of 2 of those 4.

thanks a lot ,,,

IceHock
Nov 15th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Is Hantuchova eligible to play doubles?

I think so, i'm guessing it'd be her and cibulkova or Husarova.

sfselesfan
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I'm confused now ,,,

No shit.

SF

LudwigDvorak
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
So it's looking like, now, Sharapova/Kuznetsova/Chakvetadze/Dementieva and Petrova/Vesnina for the Russian Olympic team.

Not a bad line-up.

danieln1
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Thatīs one of the main reasons that Lindsay did a comeback: to play in Beijing 2008! For USA, also Venus and Serena should play

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM
This is rough for the Russian players. There might be 10 Russians seeded at the majors, and only 4 get to play Olympic singles.

Sonf@
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:07 AM
this already happened at Athens

for example the Spanish team was as follows:

Singles
Conchita Martínez
Magüi Serna
Maria Antonia Sánchez-Lorenzo
Anabel Medina-Garrigues

Doubles
Conchita Martínez/Virginia Ruano-Pascual
Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario/Anabel Medina-Garrigues

Spain benefited from a extra spot given Virginia's top ten condition in doubles and Arantxa was given a wild card due to her persuasion (she was desperate to hold the spanish flag in the open ceremony lol)

Cp6uja
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM
If my memory works good - players list which will play at Bejing will be presented right after Roland Garros 2008. That means all 2007 tournaments after RG will be counted for some player for Olympic qually. Right now worlds #56 have about 500 pts so we have right to tell that all players which reach more than 500 pts after RG 2007 already qualify to Beijing. Only exceptions is if some of that players have 4 better ranked compatriots. Countries with more than 4 players in TOP70 - Russia (11), FRA (8), ITA (7), USA (5).

Here is list of 30 players which already reach more than 500pts in 2nd half of 2007 and already qualify:

(1) HENIN, JUSTINE BEL
R1(2) KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS
(3) JANKOVIC, JELENA SRB
(4) IVANOVIC, ANA SRB
R2(5) SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
R3(6) CHAKVETADZE, ANNA RUS
(7) WILLIAMS, SERENA USA
(8) WILLIAMS, VENUS USA
(9) HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK
(10) BARTOLI, MARION FRA
R4(11) DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS
(12) VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE